Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Extra 330L Anything good out there about it?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Extra 330L Anything good out there about it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 09:16 PM
hyperbatix
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H9 Extra 330L Anything good out there about it?

I am putting together a H9 330L currently, (the revised version), and want to know if anyone has anything good to say about it. I often hear conflicting stories about it so please, only respond if you have a personnal experience with this plane. I've heard 2 things bad...it weighs too much and watch out for flutter. But on the other hand I've heard from one guy who said his weighed 24 3/4 lbs. with a GT-80 and he'd flown his more than 50 times without a problem. He said it was one of the nicest flying planes he'd flown. Anyone else have a good experience? Thanks..

Kevin
[email protected]
Old 02-11-2002, 10:11 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well - I have flown three of them - and a lot of what has ben said is from people who are repeating what they have heard and some of what has been said - based on what I have read - is the work of VERY novice flyers.
So having alienated a few - I will say that the dual servoed model is fine - a good flyer-BUT it is heavier than I like.
Like all models - check it out -If something looks wrong - ASK someone - the manufacturer -or someonewith known skills-that is trustworthy and resolve the question!
Two local guys have stock models -one an original - the other a new generation.
I built new ailerons for the early one - why? I did not like the weight of them.
Both of these fly great!
Both fly on tuned pipe ZDZ80 singles so they have way more power than the GT 80 stuff.
My friend Steve has one we modified by changing wings stabs and rudder - also a ZDZ80 single on a tuned pipe and he really hammers it - it weighs 23 lbs.
His opinion -and he has won one TOC and placed in two others -- is that it is a better all round flyer than his Cap -H9. (surprise)
I had one - I stuffed it when a clevis came apart- but I am building another - and stripping it and recovering it -for my own color scheme.
We have proven -using comparison readings on tachs- that we are powering these as well as any of the 100 twins.
I say this because the issue of overpowering them has been brought up.
There is a pic on my web page of my first one -
Old 02-11-2002, 10:40 PM
hyperbatix

Default H9 330L

It's an honor to get your reply Dick. I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to respond. I suppose the "Steve" you were talking about is Steve Stricker. You mentioned changing the wings and stabs...what did you change to? Did you design your own? I've been modeling for 16 years and am gradually making a transition to giant scale and just want to be sure my transition is a pleasant one. I live in Colorado Springs and felt I needed the extra power of a 3W100 to compensate for the altitude but now that I've seen the ZDZ80 fly last weekend on the H9 Cap, I see I am wrong. That ZDZ powers it beautifully. But anyway, I already have the engine mounted and might as well use it. I will prop it specifically for 3D style flying. Thanks again for your input and it would be a pleasure to hear from you again! BTW..What is your website address?

KEvIN
Old 02-11-2002, 11:37 PM
BALSA BANDIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330L

I have a 330L and I'm not too happy about it. It really is a great flying airplane and thats the only reason I keep it. I have a GT80 in the nose which is what is recommended to fly it 3D by the mfgr. However this engine will never fly this plane 3D unless you were able to cut away about 6 or 7 lbs. It just does not have enough power. I feel like a sap, I got sucked into buying a $1000.00 engine that will never perform as it is touted by the mfgr. I whuld recommend the plane to everyone, but don't get sucked into their engine selection for it. Ken....The "BALSA BANDIT"
Old 02-11-2002, 11:56 PM
rmh

Steve Rojecki-is the Steve here - I also know Stricker but I don't know what he is flying now-
Rojecki likes stuff that really cooks -as does Stricker - funny --
My web site is lised in my profile on RC Universe.
If you saw the ZDZ without the pipe -wait till you see it with the pipe.
It is as good -for all intents and purposes as any of the 100 engines - less a good tuned system-and weighs less.and runs smoother than some of them.
I have flown a contest in Colorado Springs -The Pikes Peak 7th annual - 1980 - I got 3rd in Masters - and my son got 2nd in advanced - Pattern.
That's been a while!
Now to the Balsa bandit.
Sorry to hear about the engine performance-have you "done the mods?".
I hate to say it - but- if you sell it for 500-600 bucks you can replae it with a ZDZ80 -and be in the power ballpark you wanted. No money added to the pot.
The Zenoah is a great engine - smooth /compact twin - But it is NOT a 6 port rotary valved rear induction engine.
If you simply changed engines and added ballast to get back to the same balance - you would notice a difference.
And it runs as smooth as the GT80
I have yet to see any ZDZ80Single -turn under 6000 rpm on a 26x10 MenzS.
Typically much higher rpm up to 6600 with a good quiet pipe.
even on a "spout" exhaust setup.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:34 AM
hyperbatix

Default H9 Extra 330L

Thanks again. I really thought about trying the ZDZ 80 before I had bought the 3W100TOC but I didn't know if it had the power I needed. Now that I know, that engine may be in my future for my plane. I have a future calling for my 100 so the H9 would be without but now I know that the ZDZ 80 is good for it, I'll give 'er a try. I'm planning on a nice 1/3 scale Edge like Aeroworks or Carden to take my 100 later on. Hey Dick, sound's like it's been a while since you've been out here to Colorado Springs and I'd like to invite you back. We have our IMAC competition usually in late summer or early fall and it would be great to see/meet you if you could come and fly. Feel free to come out anytime...we'd love to have you.

Balsa Bandit, thanks for your comments on the plane. I'm feeling good about my buy again and look forward to finishing it. It should be awesome!

Kevin Fears

[email protected]
Old 02-12-2002, 06:50 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: H9 Extra 330L Anything good out there about it?

Originally posted by aerobatix
I am putting together a H9 330L currently, (the revised version), and want to know if anyone has anything good to say about it.
Hi Kevin!

I just sold mine (and like Dick, I've flown three of them) with 3W-85. It was a smooth, easy flying, plane. I was able to torque roll and pull out with no problem with the 85. The plane was built stock and weighed 27-lbs with Troy CF landing gear. It took a backseat to my H9 CAP with DA-100 which was 25-lbs with smoke and stock aluminum landing gear... but it was still a really nice plane just the same.

I'd love to fly one with a DA-100 on it... and some of those light wings built by DH. That could end up being the best all-around 1/3 scale plane going. :-) I'm working on an AW 33% Edge right now... and that would be a good place for your 3W-100. AW's seems to have more or less setup these planes for it and it allows you to put the elevator servos in the tail. I'm going with a DA-100 on the AW, as well though... because I'm really secure about the DA-100s reliability.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:01 PM
hyperbatix

Default H9 Extra 330L

Thanks for your comment Joe!

I have another question for you guys. I see that you've done the hovering and torque rolls with easy pull-out but how is the plane in more harsh 3D maneuvers such as waterfalls and blenders? I plan to put this plane through its' paces and want to be sure it holds up. Any advice here will be more than appreciated. BTW...have any of you had experience with the wing tube being too long and have to cut it down? Mine seems to be about 1"-2" too long for the wings to fully meet the sides of the plane. Thanks again!

KEvIN Fears
Old 02-12-2002, 10:01 PM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Kevin!

I did plenty of waterfalls and blenders with the H9 Extra... pop up's, too. If they're too violent you can bend the wing tube... that's the worst that's happened to me. :-)

It should be fairly easy to gage the right length for the wing tube... it goes past the wing tube bolt hole on each wing somewhere around 5/8".
Old 02-13-2002, 02:46 PM
hyperbatix

Default H9 Extra

Thanks again Joe! One more thing though and I hope Dick Hanson sees this but anyway, I heard that Dicks friend Steve had some bad luck with his plane when his elevator came off in flight due to the bulkhead shattering. Dick, is this true and if so has anyone else had this problem? What can be done to correct it.

Kevin
Old 02-14-2002, 01:27 AM
rmh

aerobatix-- the rumor you heard actually should have said this:
Steve's Diabotin, which had a 40 ZDZ on it, simply fell apart on the first minute of the flight. not from shaking - it just fell apart.
Apparantly the fuselage aft section, in level flight folded - allowing the tail group to literally twist off!
How this turned into a comment about the Extra -is anybody's guess.
The Extra is alive and well--very well.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:13 PM
hyperbatix

Default H9 Extra 330L

Ohhhh..... Thanks for clarifying that! It's funny how things get twisted like that.. Dick, I just found out 2 days ago that a close friend of mine, Mike Beard, spoke with you a few weeks ago about the Cap 232 you used to produce. He told me that you stopped producing them and he practically begged you to make one for him. He and I have been looking for a really light set-up CAP to get our hands on which we won't have to do any further mods to lighten. I know you'd told him no before but if you'd re-consider he and I both would be interested in the kit and I may be able to get a couple more sold for you out here. Thanks either way. You've been alot of help!

KEvIN