Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

I've learned (the hard way) never to judge a model by the pictures of it.....
Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Railinrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt care if it flew perfect . That thing looks like the south end of a northbound moose .
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see the big deal over the price. It's only $50 more than the Mustang and it has a 6-channel radio compared to the Mustang's 5.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
sparkknocker
My Feedback: (2)

Another half fast built scale type plane to interest beginner flyiers. No thanks. Did hanger 9 even look at an actual F-22 before building this thing? It doesn't come close. Ah well...someone will buy it and be happy with it I am sure
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Like I said before, the price seems about average for a name brand RTF plane with a 6-channel computer radio. Yah, it's not the most graceful looking thing but I kind of like that in a wierd sort of way. I'd like to see one fly with all the trainer stuff removed.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me , some talented RCU member will buy it , tweek it and show H9 what they should have done !!!!
It has potential , just needs some work . I buy it in the basic format less engine and radio because I would want to bash it .
Retracts , possibly strip it , either paint or cover in the real warbird colors .
Add oleos , milatary pilot ect .
Old 01-24-2007, 11:01 AM
MMcConville

Hi Guys,

We now have the web-tour up for the new F-22. See it here:

http://www.hangar-9.com/pts/

Hopefully it'll clear up a lot of questions. I can answer a few here.

The price didnt change since the AMA show. We tried to keep the price as low as possible but the F-22 is more costly to build than the P-51, and yes it is also licsenced from Lockheed. At $449 Map, its only $50 more than the P-51, but it also includes FS One Solo, which is a stand alone version of the new FS One simulator.

Its not like the Tamecat idea. That model used essentially a flat bottom hershy bar (Kadet) wing on a F-14 like fuse. The idea here was to preserve the lines of the F-22 as much as possible including the wing planform. The F-22 has a larger wing than most jets so it was the best candidate to make into a PTS trainer. I spent a lot of time looking at the F-22, shooting photos at Wright Patt at the beginning of this project, before starting the design of the model.

It was a challenge to make it work, but in the end it does. It is a great trainer.

The droops and tip extensions come off (in seconds). Remove them, put on a 2-b prop and it is a great sport model.

Hope you check out the web site. I think you'll like the model, its very cool if I do say so myself.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting it into perspective, since it comes with a radio and engine I suppose the price is very competetive. I would like to see a version sans the radio and engine for those who already have such equipment on hand.

I DO think it looks cool. That is why I uploaded pics of it as soon as I got back from the AMA show.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Hoghead385
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Mike, I like the F-22 but am an experienced pilot with engines and radios on hand. Are there any plans to release it as a stand alone model w/o engine and radio? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Of course they will,
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
stinger40

That F-22 looks pretty nice. Is there going to be a version with retracts and optional flaps?
S40
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

and yes it is also licsenced from Lockheed. At $449 Map, its only $50 more than the P-51,
That explains the $50.00 price difference! Although I am sure it will sell well, I won't be buying one since Lockheed is demanding liscensing fees of the models. Just my little protest that won't amount to much.

To bad it wasn't a pusher setup.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

It's only a matter of WHEN will the ARF version (minus engine and radio) will be available. I hope it's soon. I love the P-51 ARF and I will have to get one of these to go with it!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Hi Guys,

We now have the web-tour up for the new F-22. See it here:

http://www.hangar-9.com/pts/
No video? Or am I just blind and didn't see it?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Video Coming Soon...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 AM
ChuckW

I see that now.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Darklotus

Look, I made a trainer!

Sorry, couldn't help it. The Mustang was bad enough, but now this? Labeling this airframe as a trainer, is bad judgement on H9's part. I'm a long time fan of Hanger 9's planes, and always will be, but this is to much. The F-22 looks like it would be a fun arf, but not a trainer. Calling this airframe a trainer, is doing more harm then good in my book. Although, I disagree with using this plane as a trainer; the point of this hobby is to have fun. It don't matter how you do it, as long as you do!

James
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone flown one yet????
Old 01-26-2007, 03:16 AM
catbutt

Not to pee in the fire, but there is a thread full of people who have used the Mustang PTS as a first time trainer and done very well with it. There are also a few people who feel it is not a good first trainer. Personally I feel if you and your instructor are comfortable using the PTS as a trainer, you will likely achieve success and save yourself some money on a second plane when you remove all the trainer gear and prop up. On the other hand, if you or your instructor are uncomfortable with the PTS, get yourself a high wing. Myself, I feel if you are going to fly tail draggers as your primary plane, you are better off using the PTS as a trainer since it gets you used to the ground handling of such planes, especially if you want to fly warbirds. Going from a tricycle style to a tail dragger gear setup would be abrupt and harsh, as well as much more unforgiving after learning on a tri. I have flown both types and find the flight characteristics too similar to consider one better than the other, the only real difference was the ground handling. I had no problems training with the PTS, even though my old school instructor tried (in vain) to get me to buy a high wing. I just could not justify getting one and having it gather dust in my already crowded storage space, not to mention having to purchase a second plane after. The PTS filled both roles well and now with the training out of the way I have a nice sport plane to cut up the sky with. As to the F-22 PTS, if Mike did his homework, it should be as good, perhaps better than the Mustang (larger wing area) as a trainer. No, it is not an exact replica of the real F-22, but some consessions must be made to make it into a stable training platform. The same is true of the Mustang PTS- a scale contest winner it is not, nor is it meant to be. It was designed for those, like myself, who have no use after training for a high wing Cessna and desired a better looking/handling second plane all in one package. Lets face it, it is WAY sexier than a Cessna trainer, unless you simply love Cessnas. If you want a true to scale F-22, look elsewhere. Besides, if you are ready to fly a scale F-22 I doubt you have any use for a trainer. Just my 2 cents, please make your own judgements
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Are you kidding!?!?!?!?! This thing is a combination of a dozen different aircraft! Look it over, from nose to wing to tail. Holy smokes! I count at least four different aircraft built into this ONE. Different? Yes. An F-22? NO! Ok, now lets get someone to buy it and fly it. If it works, then let's get one and have FUN!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
chuck993

you guys want some cheese with your whine?

Geeze, change sure doesn't bring out the best in some people. Give the plane a chance, see how it does.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: chuck993

you guys want some cheese with your whine?

Geeze, change sure doesn't bring out the best in some people. Give the plane a chance, see how it does.
Agreed. If somebody doesn't like it, don't buy it.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man i wish they had a trainer like this when i started learning. I had a H9 Easy Fly 40. I did love that plane and it was fun to put it all to geather. I like the PTS idea but to me i just don't like the fact that every thing is already put togeather for you. Where is the fun in that? Any way this looks like a sweet plane.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 PM
mr ez

maybe these guys are scaired they cant fly it thats why they condone it
all i see that there trying too do is to give the beginer and or the expericenced molder a choice
its like the first time you fly something in the 3d catagorie some things it dose well and some things it aint going too happen
i also guess it comes with flt sim a radio engine and all ya gotta do is charge and go fly
you cant please all of them but then there are the ones that just like to complane about everything
mabe if it was there company and there money desiging this ill bet the shoe would be on the other foot
it looks like it might be fun to fly and mabe even a callange case some people just cant fly like normal people do
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

for all the horizon marketing team.. Can you make airplanes with all the servo's installed something like a PNP but without the engine? Let us choose our own engine and put our own receiver. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.