Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Sundowner

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H9 Sundowner

ORIGINAL: hbutler

Guys...

Just switched out my Moki 180 for a 210. I put a 16x16 prop and started her up and got 7200 rpm. Is that the right range for a 16x16?

How much time have you got on that 2.10?
Mine has about a gallon through it and turns an APC 16x14 at around 8200-8300 peaked (briefly ) but I richen it substantially for flight. I'm using a std. Bisson Pitts muffler...not the Sundowner specific one and 5% Omega.

Spit...the 1.20 will probably fly it, but not very well IMO...or not in the manner to which it's designed anyway.

You'd probably also need to move things forward to get the C.G. correct...make sure you have the 2 alum. tubes in the stab...not the solid steel rods?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
RCWI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got two sundowner arf's that a guy put down. The first one went down on the first flight and second had two flights. Anyway I used the best of both. I should have posted pics so you guys could give advise on the integity of the arf. The fire wall and the whole area for the landing gear was riped out. And just if front the wing tube was snapped opened. Lost or bulsa and epoxy. Plane was free and I have a crrc 45. Im in for the challenge.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 PM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

I've inherited a sundowner which i need to repair undercarrage mounting on fuz. The wood has broken away.
I've been studying everyones pros and cons with this fab model.
I notice some are using a 160 os.
I was wandering how a 120ax would measure up in this model as its only .6 down on bhp from 160 and considerably lighter.
Perhaps a tuned pipe would give it more grunt too.??

The ST2350 is more powerful than the OS120AX and about half the price. (I've got both) But I don't think either of them has the grunt for a Sundowner.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re- Snudowner.....Do you think a DLE 30cc would have the gusto??? Capt,n
Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 PM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this thread has almost entirely dried up. Too bad this Sundowner F1 was discontinued as it’s such a nice looker !

Anybody still flying theirs ? Mine is equipped with an EVO 26GX gasser (now discontinued) and a Sullivan Smoke Pump. I recently pulled mine down from the shelf and am currently in the process of doing a restoration to get her back in the air again.

It was a nice flyer until................about 7 years ago the pressure line coming from the smoke system pump blew off and then flooded the inside of the fuse with about 26 ounces of smoke oil. When she was in the air, I suddenly stopped getting a smoke supply, and not thinking, I inadvertently did not turn off the smoke pump switch. After landing I was left with a stinky, sticky, chocolaty mess !!

I stripped down everything inside the fuse and sprayed in a full can of K2R Spot Remover (don’t know if K2R is still available). Blew out all of the K2R, scrubbed everything I could reach with and old toothbrush and then sprayed in a second can and then blew that out. Then I filled up the fuse with about 10 pounds of cat litter. I let that sit for about three years or so and then emptied out the cat litter, blew out all of the old litter, and then put in another 10 pounds of fresh litter. Did that same procedure again about 2-3 years ago. It took about 7 years, but between the K2R and the kitty litter, it seems to have dried out the smoke oil residue from the wood parts.

She’s going to need 3 fresh batts., new fuel lines and new smoke oil lines. Both tanks will need to be removed and have the gummy residue removed. I have also planned on getting the gummy residue from my smoke pump by flushing with alcohol. Another job I will need to do is a carb removal, cleanout and then installing a new carb overhaul kit.

Can’t wait to make her airworthy again !

Joe M.