Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Sundowner

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Sundowner

Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Sundowner

In looking at this airplane on H9's site, I noticed the in cowl muffler that is shown mounted to the Evolution 35. Does anyone know who's muffler that is? I have already pre-ordered this thru LHS, and m trying to decide whether to go gas with the 35 Evo or a Saitio 1.80 (maybe the 220?!) Anyway for now the question is on the muffler. Any takers? Anyone else getting this plane before me?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4500
Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
LANNYBOB

Default RE: H9 Sundowner

ive eyeballed this plane and read all that i could on it. price aint that bad at 400. im thinking a 160 2 stroke would fling this thing like never before. its a 180 size plane and its weight ranges from 12.5 to 13.7lb. if your into racing this is the one. look out
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Trollmaster

I have some ideas on mine but don't put a cart before the horse. Of all my planes, the engine was not even purchased until around the time the plane was nearly done. Gives you time to really think about the plan here. I'm not sure of your area but around here, there are enough people who may have the same engine on a shelf that I can borrow to size up before i purchase.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Flying Canuk

That is one nice lookin airplane!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Can't tell for sure..but maybe it's yet to come out, this is under the options and calls it the SPORT muffler but with no pictures yet ( as HH is famous for doing) who can tell?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...%20Accessories

I want one just for the sport flying aspect, this is a nice change for people like me that have the G-26 and don't want a Bipe or a Cub!. Mikel-t
Old 06-10-2007, 01:22 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

The muffler that is shown on our web-site is a prototype muffler we have been testing for use in the Sundowner. We unfotunately have been faced with a delay from our Vendor. The Sundowner first ships to our customers the end of June, and the muffler will be available very soon afterwards. The muffler listed below works quite well with the 35GT2, but you would need to cut away a porton of the cowl and that was why we were having a custom muffler made with the ends cut back at an angle to keep the muffler inside the cowl. Unless you are going to race the Sundowner then I would suggest the 26GT2 with Pitts side mounted engine muffler shown on our web-site. The Sundowner has been clocked at 115 mph straight and level with the 26GT2 engine. The 35GT2 will push the model to 130mph, but the added 19 oz. of engine weight increases the landing speed and the wing loading. For all around great sport flyng I would stick with the lighter engine.
The model is very neutral and for a racer will do superb aerobatices and KE flight is effortless. When you turn it up on a wing tip in a pylon type turn then the Sundowner shows her true colors.

We will have some new additional video from the Rantoul air races up on the web-site shortly.

EVO/MVVS 26GT 1.6 Pitt

$42.99 [BIS05516]

EVO/MVVS 35 GT 2.15 Baffled Pitt

$58.99 [BIS05562]

Bill Brundle
Horizon Hobby
Hangar 9

Old 06-10-2007, 07:39 PM
reincarnate

Bill,
Thanks for all the info. With your advice I will buy another 26 GT (already have one in the H9 1.50 P-51). I guess I'm still a gear-head at heart (bigger MUST be better) but I'll gladly take the advice of the manufacturer when they care enough to log on and post an answer. Another BIG reason I love H9 and Horizon. Now release that airplane!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Mr. Brundle,

Any chance the Sundowner will be offered as an ARC or even solid colours?

It will be hard to race them when they all look alike.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Mikel-t

You can't beat HH for customer service IMHO i've been buying from them for years ( they could use some help with navigating their on-line store) but I always remove some covering on any ARF to check construction/glue joints etc and H-9 does'nt hot glue anything I've ever bought..including the little park fliers. So changing the color scheme is a favorite chore anyway....LUV THAT ULTRCOAT!!!

I heard thru the rumor mill that they will not be putting out the matching Ultracoat spray paint...Is that true????

Mikel-T
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
reincarnate

Just talked to LHS. They said it was due to ship on 6-15.
As for the Ultracoat paint, I heard the same thing about 2 months ago. No longer making it, so buy what you need from stock while they have it. Evidently this is not a rumor.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Mikel-t

I guess HOME DEPOT can match any color of Ultracoat your bring them so...no biggie except for the spray can factor. Anybody know the "How-To's" of spray painting??

Man this hobby runs on money doesn't it?

Mikel-T
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM
bbrundle

The Sundowner HAN4500 will ship to dealers tomorrow, so be sure and cehck one out at your local hobby store.

P-51B We are not currently planning on offering the Sundowner in an ARC or any additional color schemes, but if demand is determined to be of sufficient numbers then we may re think that thought. We know there are modelers out there that will strip the covering and do their own color scheme and this is realy quite simple to do, so it truly does come down to the demend being of an appropriate number to warrant a special run.

The Ultra Cote paint has been discontinued due to EPA and a few other issues, so grab what you can at the LHS while supplies last.

What or where do you think would be a good place to start to modify the web-site to make the sirte more user friendly?

We should have some new video up on the web-site of the Sundowner next week, so be sure and check this out.

Bill Brundle
Senior Product Development Manager
Hangar 9
Horizon Hobby
[email protected]
Old 06-14-2007, 09:41 PM
kwjames

Are you saying that the Sundowner will not be as good a sport flyer with the 35. Will KE be harder with the 35. Or is just landing speed the only problem with the 35. I would like the max speed but would like to sport fly it also. Do you thing flaperons would work to slow landing speed down or would they make it just squirrely.
Ken
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
bbrundle

The plane will not be harder to fly, and KE will not be effected by the larger engine. The larger engine with the larger prop disk will increase the landing speed and the fact that the wing loading will go up will also be a contributing factor. To gain max speed on the larger engine you need to prop down to 15" prop and run as much pitch as you can. By doing this you also increase landing speed. I was just saying that for all around great sport flying the 26GT2 would be a great choice, and is only 10 mph. slower. If all out speed is what you seek then the 35GT2 will do the job. The airplane has just been adopted as the new entry level IROC racer for the USRA. They will be using the 35GT2 as the power plant.

Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM
kwjames

Thanks for the come back. Would setting the plane up with flaperons help lower the landing speed without creating problems?
Ken
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 AM
bbrundle

We have not flown this airplane with flaperons, but I do use flaperons on my jets to help with the landing speeds. I would say to reflex the ailerons up about 3 degrees and try that. I would then increase the up angle a degree at a time until I noticed a change in landing speed while still maintaining good stability. I would not go past 10 degrees. You need to also watch for yaw stability, as you know that is why we reflex ailerons up to begin with.

I hope this helps and keep us posted on your results

Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Mikel-t

Bill, regarding the HH shopping on-line, I have numerous times filled out the comment sheet at the end of my order with suggestion on making the site easier. BTW I'm not a web-page designer or anything, I just shop on-line for everything and find the HH site navigating not as direct a it could be..BUT IT IS GETTING BETTER "

NOTE: I have noticed that there have been improvements made to the site like the PARTS FINDER drop-down menu ( HURRAY) and more classifications ie: "ELECTRIC-FLIGHT" and new sub catagories which is a help. I would do away with that "BEST SELLERS" and maybe "NEW RELEASES" ... it's just not needed.

Overall the site gives lots of information on R/C and recently added several new sections such as when buying an ARF you can Click-on Upgrades an/or Set-ups. So that is helpful and maybe they do read those comments sheets after-all. Mikel-T
Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
reincarnate

Bill...The best thing about HH is the fact that the customer servive is nearly second to none. The fact that they(you) are here paying attention to our questions and asking for our comments and taking the time to answer PM's is what it takes to build a loyal customer base.

As for the site, I find it to be as easy to navigate as any I frequent. The only thing I can think of that would make HH better is if you could pick up some high quality kit manufacturers and distribute their product. The site is great, colorful pics, great descriptions, fair reviews.

The only thing I would do is send me all new releases when they come out to test and report on. I would do this free of charge. Let me know if you need my address.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: kwjames

Thanks for the come back. Would setting the plane up with flaperons help lower the landing speed without creating problems?
Ken

Your criticizing something you don't even have and have no idea how it wil perform. Wait until you fly the plane. To compensate for the lackof flaps is to increase skill level and pay attention. I don't use flaperons on my speed planes and I don't run off the end of the runway either. Need to get your approach speed and angle right and you won't have issues .
Old 06-16-2007, 01:49 AM
jasonred007

I have mine on order and cant wait!!!! I LOVE the super tigre 2300 I have one on my 120 size H9 CAP 232 and I cant say enough about it, so this is what i plaan on powering mine with. I am having problems matching prop to Spinner though....... N E WAY If it flies half as nice as my cap I may be spending a little more time with the new gal in the hangar
Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Trollmaster

If your going to power this plane with a 2300, I think your going to be very disappointed. Better read over the specs again. I haver a 2300 and it is a very good engine but not on this thing
Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 AM
jasonred007

Specs
Wing Span: 80.5 in (2045mm)
Overall Length: 60.6 in (1539mm)
Wing Area: 933 sq in (60.2 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 12.0-14.0 lb (5.4-6.4 kg)
Engine Size: 26-35cc gas; 1.20-1.80 4-stroke; 1.00-2.10 2-stroke
Motor Size: E-flite Power 160 Brushless Outrunner
Radio: 4 channels or more
Servos: 6 digital servos (5 servos for electric conversion)
Trim Scheme Colors: White (HANU870), Silver (HANU881), Cub Yellow (HANU884), Pearl Blue (HANU845)
Prop Size: 14x12-16x8 gas/glow; 17x12E electric
Spinner Size: 3 1/4 in
Hardware Included: Yes
Speed Control : 110 Amp
Recommended Battery: 2 Thunder Power 4S or 5S Li-Po Battery Packs (THP38504SX or THP38505SX)
Scale: 29%

Specs
Type: 2-stroke Gasoline
Displacement: 1.55 cu in (25.50 cc)
Bore: 1.30 in (33.00 mm)
Stroke: 1.17 in (30.10 mm)
Cylinders: Single
Engine (Only) Weight: 936 g (33.6 oz)
Crankshaft Threads: M 10x1mm
Benchmark Prop: 18x6 @ 8,700
Prop Range: 16x8 - 18x8
RPM Range: 1,400 - 9,500
Fuel: Gas/Oil Mix 40:1
Mounting Dimensions: 146 x 70 x 99 mm
HP: 3.8 Ps @ 9,000 RPM
Cylinder Type: Ring
Carb Type: walbro 2-needle WT481
Crank Type: Ball Bearing

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: SUPG0248
Displacement: 1.418 cu in (23.21 cc)
Bore: 1.280 in (32.5 mm)
Stroke: 1.102 in (28.0 mm)
Output: 3.7 hp @ 12,600 rpm
Weight w/o muffler: 31.0 oz (897 g)
Weight with muffler: 38.0 oz (1077 g)
Includes: manifold and muffler
Requires: mount
Recommended Props: 18x8, 18x10 (w/inc. muffler)

I did my research before I bought it.... And your point is??? I have been toying with the idea of going gas anyway. From what I understand glow has more torque than comporable size gas and at 2.7 ozs lighter, with comparable power. Would gas be that much better on this plane?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM
reincarnate

The speculation is over. I picked mine up tonight at LHS, evidently right off the UPS truck, since it wasn't even in the computer yet.
First impressions:
The box is large. Don't expect it to fit in your car. It's a big plane. I took the parts out of the box and inspected for shipping damage and found none. The covering is typical of H9 products; top notch. I didn't remove anything from the plastic, as I don't plan on starting assembly for a couple of days, and have two planes on the bench right now. This plane looks fantastic from a design standpoint, and even unassembled I can see the lines are going to be great. Took some quick pics, as I have appointments to keep, but here's a quick peek.
I may start a build thread, but it'll be slow since it's flyin' season, not buildin' season[8D], so if someone beats me to it, I'll join in. If you need info about anything let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62142.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	706576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66871.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	706577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99772.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	706578  
Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

The speculation is over. I picked mine up tonight at LHS, evidently right off the UPS truck, since it wasn't even in the computer yet.
Wow, am I jealous! I have been looking at this one for over a week, I finally ordered mine today from Esprit Model. Mine is going to be electric (Axi 5330/F3A, Jeti Spin 99, 2 x EVO 6S2P 5000 (for a 12S pack) and probably a 20 x 12 Mejzlik carbon prop). I have to say the fit and finish looks impeccable, the idea of the rear servo cover so everything can be mouted aft yet out-of-sight is brilliant. I expect mine to arrive at Esprit on Wednesday and hopefully get to me by Friday, keeping my fingers crossed!

Go ahead and start a build thread, this ones a keeper! As for assembly, I downloaded the manual from Hanger 9 (PDF format) and it looks like a very, very simple build, all the work is done for you!

Jack
Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

First impressions:
The box is large. Don't expect it to fit in your car. It's a big plane. I took the parts out of the box and inspected for shipping damage and found none. The covering is typical of H9 products; top notch. I didn't remove anything from the plastic, as I don't plan on starting assembly for a couple of days, and have two planes on the bench right now. This plane looks fantastic from a design standpoint, and even unassembled I can see the lines are going to be great. Took some quick pics, as I have appointments to keep, but here's a quick peek.
I may start a build thread, but it'll be slow since it's flyin' season, not buildin' season[8D], so if someone beats me to it, I'll join in. If you need info about anything let me know.

Nice Work Bench

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.