Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

It looks like it was just a little type-O in their instruction book. I'm glad you guys caught that before I took my ship in the air!! These forums are great!!!
When I get mine I'll post pictures of the building and progress if you guys want. I cannot send any video of it flying because it would take forever (my server is only 1.8mb per second). But I will keep you guys informed. This is a really beautiful plane and I cannot wait to get it. It should be here today or tomorrow........?
Thanxabunch!!!
Jeff
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
aegis

Has anyone flown the plane with a Saito 72 fs? I'm wondering what the flight times are with the stock tank.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
ChuckW

The tank is pretty big. I would imagine that flight times would be very good with a 4 stroke.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
brewski

russm,

How does the Tower 75 fit with the cowl? Could you post a picture? I have this plane ordered and have a webra 55 on hand that I may use.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
KaseyRC

Can anybody compare how the Revolver fly's compared to the Ultra Stick 40? I have the Ultra Stick with a OS .55 on it. I also have a trainer with a .46 that I don't use anymore.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 PM
rlecocq

For those who need to know ........ tank is 420 CC's (On the big side I think). Fits just snugly.

A suggestion was made to me that the Pull/Pull elevator rods travel for a long distance without support in the fuse,( might bend under lots of hard input...if you fly that way.) .
Have a look and make your own decision.

Also to replace control horns/clevis with ball&socket type for a better angle to horns.
Over all a very well built ARF.

Rob./
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: aegis

Has anyone flown the plane with a Saito 72 fs? I'm wondering what the flight times are with the stock tank.

Thanks.

Dan
My almost broken in Saito 82 runs 12 minutes on ~ 6oz 10% at varying throttle. I think that fuel consumption would go up on the Revolver. Looks like it is meant to be flown fast!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 PM
150flyer

KaseyRC,

I also have an Ultra Stick 40 with a .55AX and also in the Revolver. The Ultra Stick flys superior from an aerobatic stand point. It has better slow flight characteristics, better inverted flight do to the symetrical wing, better flat spins, way better hovering, better rolling circles, better outside loops, and better harrier rolls. The Revolver is easier to knife edge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83487.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	747520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27199.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	747521  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
russm

the t.h. 75 fits fine . i used the pitts style muffler. this or any 75 2-stroke is a good combo if you like a little extra power and speed.i had this engine sitting on the shelf. this plane is a blast to fly. it does everything well and then some. this plane is fast and slips through the air. i fly the h-9 40 stick more than any other plane i own and flew it prior to taking up the revolver for her maiden. the revolver is simply a smoother plane to fly. hane fun with yours, russm
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Kostas1

You installed a 75 TH on the Revolver?
Maybe it's too much power?

What about the extra nose weight?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
russm

not a problem, i didnt have to add any weight to the rear. used the recommended cg. 4-15/16. no elevator trim needed either. russm
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey guys!
I got my Revolver in the mail today. Really cool. I opened the box and the fuse was damaged from shipping !!!!![:@][:@][>:][>:]
the way that it is packaged in the box let the vert. stab lying right next to the box end with no foam strip to protect it. and the vert. stab and part of the fuse just broke a little bit tearing the monocoat too. Basically, it just lifted the vert. stab. up and away from the fuselage. It will take me about 1/2 hour to fix. I called tower hobbies about this and they wanted to send a box for the damaged fuse and for me to send the damaged one back to them in the box that they supplied. Then, they would send me a new one back.
now this whole process would take about 8-10 working days and I wanted to fly this plane This weekend!!
I asked them what my alternatives were and that I could fix it in just 2 and 2. The rep said "how about 25 bucks off of your next order?" and I said SOLD !!!!!! To me that is pretty good business. I got a Nextar ARF on the same order with no damage. AND I will be able to fly a new plane by Saturday. I am going to put a new OS70 surpass on this plane WISH ME LUCK [8D][8D]

JEFF
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
cutter262
My Feedback: (15)

I recently purchased the G.P. Revolver and it arrived in great shape. The only visible problem I observed was a few wrinkles on the left aileron, two set screws were missing for the wheel collars and a discrepancy on page 26 and 27 of the instruction manual regarding C.G. Thanks to rlecocq's information I was able to correctly identify the correct C.G. as 4 and 5/16 inches. Other than that everything was in tip top shape. I ordered the complete electric version setup through www.towerhobbies.com after I had consulted with a representative from Great Planes, who stated that they have tested this a/c with the electrical setup as listed on towerhobbies and found it to be the best. We shall see! LOL. Anyway assembly was quick and painless as everything fit together like a glove. I am just waiting for the Great Planes silver series 80 amp esc to arrive. Unfortunatley it will not be here until late September. Anyone out there powering this beauty with an electric setup?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Tailspincharlie

Hi guys, I have been reading through the threads and I see one used the cg at 4 15/16 and another says 4 5/16 so what is the real cg. Thank,

Tailspincharlie, Happy flying
Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM
ChuckW

According to an addendum now on the GP site, the correct CG is 4-5/16 inches or 110mm.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Tailspincharlie

Thanks for the info. I feel better now.

Tailspincharlie
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Well, i started puting together my Revolver and it is going fairly easy the only thing I didn't like was I had to spend about 2 hours getting all of the wrinkles out. It has been 90 to 100 degrees here and that is probably why. On one of the wheel pants, the bind nuts were rusty and when I put the small bolts in them they both broke inside !! I'll have to retrofit new blind nuts in there. A simple job is taking me over an hour. Do you guys notice that there are TWO holes for the rudder linkage? It doesn't say anything about a pull pull system in the manual. I didn't notice it untill it was almost put together. And what about the gapsosis in the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage. What are you guys doing about that? I don't think that this will hamper flight performance because it is only about 1/16".

Jeff
Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 AM
ChuckW

Mine had a few wrinkles but not too bad. They all came out very easy with just the iron. That second hole that looks like a rudder pushrod tube is actually the antenna tube. As for the gap between the wing and the fuse, make sure the friction of the anti-rotation pins hasn't pushed the fuselage sides in a little bit. I had a big gap at first but figured out that was the cause. The gap is probably 1/32 now, nothing to really worry about. 1/16 probably won't make any difference at all either.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:26 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey Chuck, Man do I feel like a dumb ***** !!!! I was just taking a break from building and I made the last post. Yeah, the other hole is for the antenna. I put the rudder horn on the wrong side - NO WONDER WHY THE RUDDER PUSH ROD WAS HARD TO CONNECT TO THE SERVO !!!! OPEN MOUTH - INSERT FOOT !!!! Anyway I made it right and wow does it fit nice now. Now I have two holes on the other side of the rudder that I am going to patch in the morning. I think that the pilot looks kindof dorky hunched forward like that - he looks really serious (he should - I will be flying) so I put him on my belt sander and shaved off about a quarter of an inch from his back so he would be more upright. I put an OS 70surpass FS in mine and it didn't fit very well. I had to dremel about 3/16" to 1/4" away from the motor mount base (where the nose gear would go) and I still have about 3/16" gap between the spinner back and the cowl. After I installed the engine and everything was looking good, I went to set up the throttle linkage and the carb WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE !!!! DOHHHH !!! That set me back awhile too. Other than these few things (mostly my fault because I was tired) it went together very well and is a beautiful aircraft - if it flies as good as it looks GP hit a home run. It is 2:00 am here and I just finished with my revolver and I will fly it tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
russm

im glad i am not the only guy who makes mistakes and runs into the same little problems while puting together a plane. i have the same small gap. i just left it alone. i had no wrinkles on this plane which is a first for a g.p. plane of mine. i always apply a little ca around blind nuts so they dont come loose. be carfull not to get any in the threads. good luck on your maiden.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 AM
ChuckW

I could make a long list of the little screw ups I've made on kits and ARF's. Stuff happens.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Well I stayed up untill 2:30am last night finishing my plane so I could fly today and the wind is blowing at 20+ miles per hour !!!!!
Call me the natural born LOOSER! It has been the windiest season I've EVER seen here in Central Washington. There has been a low pressure system anchored off of Vancouver Island since march - usually it goes away by June or July and it is still there. I will maiden the first chance I get. On this plane does anyne have any info on the speed required for takeoff? Will it suddenly snap if not going fast enough? Or is it pretty forgiving. Since I cannot fly today, I am sitting here thinking about it syching myself out getting BUCK FEAVER!!!! NOT GOOD. I am just going to go out to the shop today and put (some of) the stickers on, balance the plane and clean up the disaster I made last night. I've put together 4 ARFs since April and WOW! I cannot wait to do another !!!!! I think I am OBSESSED WITH THIS SPORT!!!

I'll keep ya all posted

Jeff
Old 08-25-2007, 04:54 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

[img][/img]
As you can see, I have a 3/16" gap between the cowling and the spinner. That is as far back as I could get the 4 stroke. It does look cool in there.......

Name:	Sq48241.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	749516  
Old 08-25-2007, 05:26 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

[img][/img][img][/img]
Here are a couple more In the cockpit, I lined it with a beautiful corinthian leather

Jeff

Name:	Wu61712.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	749528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69400.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	749529  
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
rlecocq

HUNTERANDJEFF :

To answer your question re: required take off speed. My experience is dont be afraid to give it gas on take off ....be committed. I did not follow my advise and had my revolver standing upright on its tail about a foot off the runway ! my heart stopped!@! We have both cement and grass options for take-offs and it is very stable and easy to control on the grass so that is the prefered option IMHO. Cement it is a little squirly for me. This little plane flies like an arrow...very smooth and nible, and likes a long landing strip. Unlike other planes I have flown if you want to loose altitude you have to push it down.... it does not descend easily on dropping throttle. Having said that it is stable at low speed.

Cheers!

Rob./

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.