Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
russm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

the 91fx with the jett pipe and toni landing gear is working out well. this plane still makes me smile.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Chancho,,,thanks.

Only problem with this speedy plane is that it never slows down enough for landings. Geezzz, I flew that past Wednesday and must have had to pull up and go around about 5 times before I go it slowed down enough for landing. Even then it was still way hot.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Just had a great thought! [8D] We could retro fit arrester hooks to our Tails and string a bungy across the strip and land like on aircraft carrier!!

CFN, Paul
Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
mike boxtall

Could always deadstick it in also. Lol.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
cmircman

Deadsticking is not a good solution. When I first got mine together I had problems with my 55 and the pits muffler. Even with the engine not running this plane still does not slow down for nothing.

Rich
Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
grubs1234567

What problems did you have with the pitts and the 55 as I have the same set up and havent even broken it in yet.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Flew mine this morning for the first time in about 6 weeks. Almost forgot how much fun this plane is. Got six good flights with no problems. Great weather, good friends, dose not get much better.

Jim
Old 04-05-2008, 05:13 PM
mike boxtall

I was only kidding about the deadstick comment. Although I have a few planes that do come in better deadstick rather than under power. GP Super Sportster and my GP Viper. Super Sport. always noses over under power. Placement of the landing gear to far back on the arf, and the viper will float forever. My Little Toni lands great under power and comes in quite hot. Still waiting for winter to loosen its grip. Hope to be flying in three weeks. One guy at our field seems to have no problems slowing his Revolver down for landings, not sure if he is using flaperons or not though.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
fx777

I was running a 55 ax with an 11 6 apc. While the plane is fast, once I got the 55 idling right the plane would slow down for a not to hot landing. Could a high pitch prop not function as an airbreak? The moderate 6" pitch on this prop and the low idle may have contributed to the ease of landing.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Dead sticking is an option, but taxing back to the pitts completes the flight.

I do believe that a high pitch prop doesn't help with braking as a low pitch one would. I guess something has to give. My TT.61Pro idles nice and slow,,,way slow actually. I can't ask for a better, lower reliable idle.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 PM
kranie

I thought mine slowed down nicely. Several others watching it fly thought so as well. Maybe it is just that I am using a larger prop(APC 13-6)
Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
cmircman

Grubs1234567,

I am using the bisson pitts muffler. I was having back preasure problems. At about half tank the engine would lean out and die. I tried everything short of adding a pump to it. I ended up just crimping one of the stacks partially closed. It solveds everything and added a little power.

I also have a viper, had a super sportster and have a cosmic wind minow. I would say that none of thses planes are as challenging to land as the revolver. I have no problems getting it to land, just getting it to slow down.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM
kranie

if you are using a smaller prop (11" ect) this will allow less resistance and the plane will come in faster. larger props like my 13-6- when the prop rpm slows it works like a big air brake and slows the plane down. Using the throttle and elevator fly down to 2-3 ft from the ground and cut the power and flare.

I am used to flying faster planes so I guess I just know how to bring her in.

Often times people misjudge how fast the plane is actually traveling when they are bringing it in on final.

A trick I have learned: (1st make sure you have checked the stall point of the plane and what it does when it does stall. If you haven't done this already take it up to 2 or 3 mistakes high and slow it down until it stalls. Then you will learn how slowly you can fly and what to look for just before it stalls.) Next bring it around in front of you when getting ready to land on the down wind leg. Slow it down to a reasonable 'slow speed' (about 10-15 mph faster than stall speed) Next gradually turn ithe plane around 180 degrees so it is now flying trward you into the wind. Becarefull of the plane's airspeed when turninig- make sure you have the nose pointed slightly down or level with some power (turns use airspeed). you now you have a better idea how fast the plane is going. Often times the plane is moving much faster than you think it is. Hopefully this helps. Despite the narrow swept back landing gear- it lands better than I thought it would. Once on the ground you have to fly the tail a bit until it slows down more. But over all it flys great!

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
fx777

Thanks for the effort put into the explanation/tip on landing. I found that once I had a good idle with the 55 ax and 11 6 or 7 apc prop, the revolver was relatively easy to bring in. On prior flights it would run the length of the run way. I agree about the taxi-ing component of the flight. I find it most satisfying to cut the engine as the place coasts to the end of the taxi way. With that being said, I cartwheeled (3 cartwheels in the grass) my revolver on a stiff cross wind landing. It was one of those days where the flight didn't feel right from take off. Damage was surprisingly much less than I would have expected and while repairs are necessary I should have it back in the air, better than new, after a couple of hours of repair.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
beaver180

Hiya fx777,

Hey after your cartwheels [X(] did your engine firewall come clean off the fuse at the glue joins and the TE of the wing puncture thru the fuse? oh and bend the wing tube too of course?
I've ordered replacement tubes from Tower ( and another cowl ) as I can't get 18mm dia tube here [:@]

CFN, Paul
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Oh, man, I almost really wiped out my Revolver today. I was in such a hurry to get out of the house this morning and forgot my video camera or it would have been on film - DRAT!!!
I took off, and like you just said FX 777, today just didn't feel right. I was very uncomfortable no matter what I did. Anyway, I was practicing my lomchevocs and I did about 10 of them all the while I was doing them lower and lower, faster and faster then, on the final one I went into it at full speed, perfectly executing it. It wouldn't stop tumbling! at about 4 summersaults, it stopped and was pointed straight towards the ground at less than 50 feet. I was really patient and finally recovered at about 6' off the deck at full power. HHOOO, I flew around and landed emediatly to calm my nerves.
This plane really tumbles well but do it at at least 3 mistakes high because it takes along time for it to recover.
Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
beaver180

Gedday Jeff,

Luck you! Hey argh save me some time going back thru the posts could you?? What was the best prop were you using on the OS70FS?? May put my Laser 70 in mine now I'm to fix up the firewall and new cowl.

Cheers, Paul
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I think that it is a 12x5.5. master airscrew classic. I like those props. I went with the 5.5 pitch for more low end power. It also slows the plane down for the landings. The only problems that I have on my landings anymore is when there is a nasty cross wind like there was today. I don't like the 70fs surpass on this plane though. I just doesn't have enough rip for me. All of the time I was flying it today, I kept thinking - cannot wait till there is a 90 2 stoke on here!!! stupid me, I sold one last year to a friend who needed it more than I did at the time and now, I have to buy a new one.
Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 PM
cmircman

Well guys I had a unfortunate event at the field today. I had a dead stick and did not make it back to the feild. Fortunately on of the local trees was nice enough to catch my plane for me. So to show my gratitude I trimed up on of its branches with my chainsaw. It will take some work but with a new wing tube and a little CA and some covering she will fly again.

Rich
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Isn't it amazing how resilient and patience us RC guys are? It seemed that alot of people had bad luck this weekend. A freind of mine got a little too loose with his T Rex heli yesterday and totalled it in the pits. Lucky no one was standing there. Broke lots of stuff including the carbon fiber blades and tail boom and alot of other hidden stuff too. Another guy recked his bobcat at over 100 mph too. Why? it was perfect weather here this weekend.
Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
cavandish

MMMMMMM
I maidened a 28% extra this weekend with the aileron servo connections back to front, she did not manage to clear the end of the runway (total loss)

To cheer myself up I pulled the trusty old revolver from the car, a deadstick was followed by too much speed down the runway, I ran out of room, turned too late & hit a wire fence, tore the wing off & removed side of fuse ! this will be my third repair on this plane, she will be good again ! one thing about the'Chinese take aways' problem with a lack of glue and coming apart easily is, that the good ones like this, do not take rocket science to repair.

re "Isn't it amazing how resilient and patience us RC guys are?" I went home on Sunday feeling fairly pissed, but by no means giving up, by Monday morning I am even more keen, and have been searching the net all morning for 'the new plane' WHAT A GREAT HOBBY !
Old 04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Chancho

Wow!

Boy, everyone's been busy with their planes. I'm just catching up with everything. Man Rich, I'm sorry about the tree. Grrrrr.. At least it's in repairable condition...

Thanks again in advance for everyone's feedback and help with this plane!!!!

I think a lot of initial problems I thought I had with this plane was my inexperience with flying fast planes. It totally took me off guard on how to land this. I remember one of my first landing attempts and I was trying to bring it in too slow, tip stalled, etc... That seems like ages ago. After all, I was going from a Twist 60 to a Revolver. Anyhow, Let me bring you guys up to date.

I was the fastest plane at the field all weekend! "Man, that's the fastest 4-stroke I've seen." "That thing is a Rocket." "Oooooh, Awwwwww, Wowwwww!" Lots of compliments all day on the plane. To top it off, I raced one of the speed freaks and smoke him. Him and a couple other guys have identical planes, I think they are Tiger 60's?, anyhow... They race those planes round and round, jet pipes, tricked out, etc.. The twos stokes on them are all out screaming... He WAS top dog with that plane.... Until today. I want to say he had a 90 2 stroke with a Jett exhaust (I can verify, It may have been a 60 or 75..) and I was able to overtake him with the Saito 100 spinning the 13x11 !!! He had me on vertical, (I had unlimited with the 13x10, but not the 11.) I had him on speed flats and all out! We went at it a couple of tanks worth and it was really fun to race someone with this plane where it is neck and neck and you can just pull away. :-) This plane flies like its on rails the whole time and it's precision is dead on.

I picked up a howfast http://www.wingedshadow.com/ at the Toledo show this past Friday. I tried it out Yesterday and today. I was getting consistent 107 - 109 mph, with an occasional 127. But it would show a funky 178, 189 which must be totally bogus because there's no way. I'm thinking the 107 is probably just right. But I still want to understand the speed indicator better as it is advertised to be accurate to +/- 1MPH. Even at 107 - that is still pretty darn fast. I tried to get some video on my digital camera, but the guy took a video of blue sky with just noise. :-( I'll have to try later when the weather breaks to get something better.

Thanks for the tip on taping the wings. That's on my to do list before next flight. I talked in depth with the guys at the field on how and why to do it and have some good ideas. And in regards to the Velocity stack on the Saitos, they make a difference in cleanliness under the cowl, overall running and efficiency in regards to the intake. You just have to search the Club Saito threads and they'll tell you better than I can. But to have a Saito 100 on this thing, hauling butt the whole time and leaving plenty to spare in the tank after 10 minutes, I'm happy as heck.

Right now there is one other revolver at our field and he has a 55AX on it. No Jett pipe, but we have to meet up yet. The guys who've seen him say I'm much faster, but we'll see. One of the guys at the field today was checking my plane out pretty good because he's in the process of building one. And 2 other guys are dead set on buying one. :-) The plane with that beautiful Saito 100 just turns heads. And when you hear it run... Ewwwww. A old timer made my day today when he came over, looked down at the plane, shook his head, looked, shook his head again, "What motor do you have on that?" He got all grumpy, threw his hands down and walked away :-) I think in his heart he thought something was wrong with the world! hehehe. But I'm telling you, this plane loves the power!!!!

I can't imagine this thing with a 90 - 2 stroke stock or with a tuned exhaust! My God man. I'm jealous, but also comfortable with what I've got going. I can go all out throttle in a dive or what ever and the wings have stayed on and the fuselage is solid so far! I've gotten used to landing this thing as it just takes up all the runway. With the Dubro gear I'm not afraid to put it in the grass, and in fact I like to, to help bleed off speed! I don't like killing power on a landing, so I try to get the idle down as low as possible, but again, with the 13x11, it screws itself all the way down the runway. I typically get a couple small bounces, but its "under control.." I'm comfortable with this plane now with 35 + flights on it now..

Sorry for the long post and I'll try like hell to get some video. It may be a few weeks with vacation, work travel and weather, but eventually I'll get some up.

What a great hobby, great thread, great people, great plane, I love Saito (I'm going to kiss and rub my plane and engine a few times before bed), etc. etc... I've got the bug with this plane bad!!!

Everyone who's cartwheeled or has a few scratches - get them fixed and polished and get back out there. This plane is just too addictive. I would just love to see this thing with a 90 2 stroke on it. My God man, that will be something. "I wonder if I can get a 125 or 150 4 stroke in there?" Hmmmm

Take care all and thanks again,

(Cavandish, I just read your last post... My heart goes out Bro... But that's the spirit! Wishing you and the rest with scratches and dents the best RC Recovery has to offer...)

See you all at the field soon...

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98332.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	923844  
Old 04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Cavendish, I am sorry for your losses today also. crashing our beloved planes makes me sick to my stomach. I have a dave patricks 27% extra 330L and if I were to crash that, well I would be tempted to give this hobby a break for a while (probably about 5 minutes). Hang in there bud, it will get better.
Phil, I'm jealous!!! Can't wait to get that 90 for my Revolver. This plane does like it really fast. Your 127 mph is very obtainable with what you have probably alot more in a dive.
Jeff
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
russm

the setup i have, 91fx w/ jett muffler, is not as fast as i would have thought. i still think the 75 size 2 stroke is the best compromise of power and weight.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Chancho

Russm,

I'm not the expert in this area even though I've played with a few motors in my years. I've never done the tuned pipe, or any of that. I'd like to understand why a 90 wouldn't be faster than a 75???? Is it too much for the plane? I would think that as long as you can balance the darn thing you could put a 120-2 stroke? Is there a happy point for maximum power to put on a plane? "

[:-]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.