Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
KCJarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

I just got mine done and maidened this weekend. Supertiger .75 on breakin with a 12x8 prop. As you can see by the bottom picture, I have a few props to choose before I get the perfect one..... I'm thinkin the 11x10 APC will work pretty well for ballistic speed....

Who knows, a MAC pipe may be in it's future!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
mike boxtall

I have a 75ax on mine and I blew off my stab tonight. Was running a 13X7 apc thin. Pulled out of a dive and the stab flew off. My control surfaces stayed put. I will post pics when I get them from the guy at the field who took them. Stab design is week. Fortunately that was all that happened, and my servo tray tore loose. All in all the rc gods were smiling on me tonight!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
51er

Holy cow! The stab blew off? Are you suprised? Well, don't be, it can......and it will. Sooooooooooo, all you guys that want to fly a sport plane as fast as it will go and then a little more, don't be suprised when the stabilizer flies off. You are on the razors edge, and once you get there, you will find a few more suprises waiting for you. Advise for you. If you are flying an all out HIGH SPEED REVOLVER, you better have a good look at the tail feathers, that is unless you want to watch the tail feathers drift down three minutes after the REVOLVER burries itself a foot in the ground. "BEEF IT UP, HAVE FUN, & GOOD LUCK! If you should think I'm dishing out a little baloney here, pay attention to Mike's thread, he has the pictures as proof every word written here. I don't mean to break anyones bubble, but the REVOLVER is not as invinceable as some of you think!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Too true 51er... Beefing up sure makes sense if your going to go nuts typr ballistic with this "AX 55 recommended" aeroplane. As I have said before, I'm running an OS 50 SX ringing engine on a BCM pitts muffler, and I think it has plenty of speed for anything I want to do. Cavendish's has a piped OS 50 SX on his and boy does that blow me away!

Anyway thought I'd share my latest repair with you guys. After I completed a cracker dead-stick landing only to run into the edge of a metal gate [:@] Cavendish described to me, not ever done a repair like this, how to go about my fix... easy peazy, glad its a foam wing and not built-up ( probably would have severed the wing completely! )

Some pix below to show my progress... So far I've cut out and squared up the damaged area using an old hacksaw blade and a bit of 180 grit sandpaper. Next I've found some foam ( just packing foam from a television ) and cut to fit the gap.
Masked off the repair area with some 2 inch wide masking tape to protect the good surfaces and sanded down to the wing profile with some 120 grit sand paper. Next I'll epoxy the blocks in. Good hint here from Cav... don't glue right up to the edge as the dry glue won't sand down as good as the surrounding balsa.
Going to fix on some balsa skin and a LE and cover, Show you that stage tomorrow....

Chow for now...
Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63890.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	958706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84174.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	958707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17936.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	958708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74474.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	958709  
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 AM
russm

have had a 91fx and have the 75ax on it now. no struct problems in about 7 months of flying. except of course the cheesy landing gear. i did beef up the fire wall area w/ epoxy and screws. nice repair job above.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
KCJarman

Agreed... Nice repair job.... you won't even know that it's been dinged.... silly poles....

Well, I have never been one to stick to the rules, I have a SIG Somethin Extra that was never intended to have an OS .60 in the nose and do some wicked 3D, but it's amazing what a little time and creative thinking can do in this hobby. 2 seasons and 3 gallons later, it's still rockin the boots.

The Revolver is a a great little flyer, and it was made to go fast. They say it's a sport plane, but the design says otherwise. If I rip off the elevator at speed, then shame on me.... I guess the 2 extra hinges I added per control surface, the swapped out 4-40 hardware and the monokote sealed hinge lines must not have been strong enough.....[8D]

She's a ripper so far, No flutter, and rock steady at 130mph...... WOOT!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
cavandish

beav
you are making hard work of it, don't bother with the skin, foam should be good enough if you can get it smoothish, failing that, spend 5 bucks on a block of balsa
Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 PM
kranie

How are you guys handling the plane sliding threw the corners? Normally I bank and use elevator to bring the tail around- but this plane just keeps slipping through. Has anyone tried coupling the airlerons and rudder by chance?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
russm

right on kc. this plane was born to rock. what is in yours?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: kranie

How are you guys handling the plane sliding threw the corners? Normally I bank and use elevator to bring the tail around- but this plane just keeps slipping through. Has anyone tried coupling the airlerons and rudder by chance?

somthing is not right with your set up, this plane should pylon turn 'hard as' I've never given it full elevator when in a bank, as I feel it might rip the wings off. you need to check incidence, C of G, and be on full elevator rates.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 AM
freeair

if your model is sliding through turns when banked with ailerons / elevator, you may need to check the elevator servo as it might be a little on the weak side.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 AM
beaver180

Corners? [X(] oh bugger, I didn't know there were any corners up there!! If there is then I must be cuttin them! lol As the guys say... there something not right there. Maybe you have another "saved" model, with pre-mixes programmed, in the TX memory that your using with your Rev??

The other day when flying with Cavendish I had a play with my Rev with very high rates on the elevators. With a high speed pull back the thing snap rolled, slowed it down and pulled and it did a nice sharp 90. In fear of getting caught out at high speed I have put my rates back down.

Finished the wing repair... not bad for my first attempt at one like this. Wish I had the right colours ( colors, to you boys State-side ) but you won't notice that at Mach 2.3 as I come passed.

CFN, Paul

Name:	Xv65399.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	959412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90860.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	959413  
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 AM
beaver180

Thanks Russ, one of many more repairs I'm sure! Might have to get one of you guys to send me a spare Revolver, cheaper than Tower charges! Just gotta watch out for those magnetic gates that reel you in like black holes! I hear there's trees like this too... plane magnets.

The 75 way better than the 91??

Paul
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM
russm

because of weight issues the t.h. 75felt faster than the 75ax. the 91fxw/ the jett muffler was just evil. also, just installed some h9 u-stick landing gear.bad choice.could not get the plane to stick. even on greased landings it hopped down the runway like a rabbit. back to the toni landing gear.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 AM
kiosk
My Feedback: (14)

I have a 75AX on mine also and used to jump like a rabbit on landing, someone here posted about using flaperons setup on SPOILERS (both ailerons UP) and that REALLY helped, no more bouncing, i just flip up the flaperons just before landings and the revolver hugs the ground and wont let go, no bouncing
greatest tip I have seen in a while
Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
KCJarman

ORIGINAL: russm

right on kc. this plane was born to rock. what is in yours?

Supertiger G.75

There are a few pictures in the post I made one page ago....
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
beaver180

Cool to see someone else give it a go... really settles your nerves too I think, because your not concerned about the landings as much and generally boosted my confidence all around.

Well I'm back ready for the air now and will be steering well clear of the gates! lol

Happier Landings,
Paul

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
lippucci

As I recall, There was a feature article in one of the magazines about the Revolver. Does anyone know of the issue or any article for the Revolver? Have an OS .70 4s which sounds good for this bird. Anyone? Help!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
beaver180

You probably won't find a better read than this thread on the revolver... look up HUNTERANDJEFF 's post on the Revolver, he runs/ ran an OS 70 four stroke. He's got some good video and pictures of it here somewhere.

Have a good read you'll be sure to find any answers you may be looking for and more.

Hope that's of help. ( lunchtime's over.. back to sanding my floor [:'(] )
Paul
Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
kranie

I have a 61fx in it. I am using standard hi-torgue servos through-out (Futaba 3010's) they have 72 ounces of torque. When I stand the plane 90 degrees (wings striaght up and down in a corner) the plane just keeps sliding through the turn. With my Venus, I would just give it some elevator and it would stop sliding and come out of the turn. The balance is right on and overall the plane handles very well at all speeds and attitudes. For as slipery as it is- I think it comes in for landings fairly well- better than I expected. I just have been unable to do a fly by at full speed because I can''t make turn 4 at full speed. With the 61 I am running an APC 13-6. which I realize does not allow blistering speeds- but offers good verticle and slows the plane down nicely. I am guessing the plane does about 90 mph- not nearly as quyick as some of the other I have heard about.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: lippucci

As I recall, There was a feature article in one of the magazines about the Revolver. Does anyone know of the issue or any article for the Revolver? Have an OS .70 4s which sounds good for this bird. Anyone? Help!
apparently the 70 x 4 stroke is a great match with the revolver but the only issue i found by other posts was the clearance between the front of cowl and spinner would leave a fare gap, this is why i went to the 55 ax.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: beaver180

Corners? [X(] oh bugger, I didn't know there were any corners up there!! If there is then I must be cuttin them! lol As the guys say... there something not right there. Maybe you have another "saved" model, with pre-mixes programmed, in the TX memory that your using with your Rev??

The other day when flying with Cavendish I had a play with my Rev with very high rates on the elevators. With a high speed pull back the thing snap rolled, slowed it down and pulled and it did a nice sharp 90. In fear of getting caught out at high speed I have put my rates back down.

Finished the wing repair... not bad for my first attempt at one like this. Wish I had the right colours ( colors, to you boys State-side ) but you won't notice that at Mach 2.3 as I come passed.

CFN, Paul
thats a top repair job and thanks to the great foam wing there would have been a large re build to do. my only comment is; the Revolver sticker on the wing may be back to front, then again i am abit backward. ha.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 AM
beaver180

oh fair crack of the whip there cobba! lol I couldn't decide which edge ( leading or trailing ) to line it up with

Think if you change the engine mounts, to like on picture, you may get the engine back enough to have a tighter spinner cowl gap. It's those blimmin carbs aye!

Name:	Nl30594.gif
Views:	15
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	960030  
Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
rexracer

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm thinking this may be my next plane. I've been wanting something with some speed, that will fit one of the engines that I already have. I have a Saito .82 on the shelf, and I read that someone here is getting 115 mph on the flat with this combo.
I like the idea of being able to "clock" my planes, and I found, on another thread, a link to a radar gun sold at Walmart for about $30. It's a Hot Wheels radar gun. Has anyone used one of these? And if so, how is it.
I'll try to find the link.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM
KCJarman

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589494

Doesn't look like it's worth the effort.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.