Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
rsteffen42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

I agree with the CG advice. After ripping the landing gear block out twice, I re-maidened mine yesterday with a new fuselage and the CG a little over 1/4" back from the recommended spot. Made a world of difference. When I pulled back the throttle on final it settled into a nice glide and touched down gently. Now if I could just get my engine to run a bit more reliably I'd be even happier....
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
lippucci

Very informative post..thanks. What engine do you run?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 PM
seanpatsdad

Hey guys I just put my Revolver together.All I have available is a OS .46 AX.Am I going to be under powered.She looks small up front.Thanks for any replys.
John
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

It'll go sweet as with the 46 AX John... I had a 46 FX in mine before putting the 50 SX I had lying around in. And that was running with no nitro.

Prop I used was an APC 11x6, went good.

If you either move the CG back past recommended and/ or use spoilers you won't boucey bouce on landing. LAndings will get better the more you do.

Good luck with your flights, Paul
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 PM
seanpatsdad

thanks Paul.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 AM
freeair

yes it does sound like this model is a far bit better with the cog moved back by 1/4 of an inch. another item i have replaced with mine is the main wheels, i dont like those foam type wheels for 2 reasons; they get flat spots plus these not much give in them compared to the Dubro rubber types.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 AM
FlyFanatic

After maiden in a gusting 30mph crosswind and cart-wheeling on the wing-tips... ( new better but anxious ) lol..
New wings are put together tonight except the alignment dowels. Now the last set took a ton of
pushing to get them in, arre the alignment dowels on any of you guys a nice straight out of the wing? or slight slight angle?
I want to be able to take the plane apart for transport with ease.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
freeair

this has been mentioned by another guy on this Revolver section, what he did was fit the dowles into the wings and then he had to file abit out of the fuse sides so all lined up correctly. what i would do is make sure these dowels are set true into the wings and epoxied then slowly push one wing in per time until the dowel touches the fuse side and mark where the hole needs attention, file this hole to suit then epoxy in a small piece of K and S brass tube and fill any gaps later when set with more epoxy. say the hole or holes are oval shaped this brass tube epoxied in will form a perfect fit with no slop and an easy wing fit. take extra care with the wing positive / negative alignments when doing this as you dont want one wing up at the leading edge and the other wing down, all must be spot on [ nuetral ] within 1/2 a mm max. you may need to take one of the dowels or wing halves to your local hobby shop so you can fing the perfect brass fit.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 AM
beaver180

And a great super duper file to do this is.... a Chainsaw chain sharperning file! cheap and long ( like a "Reach" toothbrush ) to reach those hard to get places.

My wing locater plastic dowel didn't quite fit either, but only required a quick draw or two with the file to fix.

Think I too will try moving the CG back, apparently it'll help with my knife-edges that I learning to master.

Fly well all,
Paul
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

As I stated in a couple of posts previously, I moved by C/G back about a 1/4 inch from recomended (I read to do this from a previous post) and found out that I was flying about 4-6oz nose heavy. I was about to sell the revolver because I thought it flew like a heavy pig. Well, I moved my 1000mah battery off of the firewall, took the weights off of the tail, and moved the battery to right behind the fuel cell. It fits perfectly there and velcroed it in. I flew it and was amazed - Even in a 20mph gusty wind. It will knife edge for infinity now and snaps are even faster. They were blinding fast before but now it is rediculas! Gotta be on your toes to stop them because two snaps will happen before you know it. The airframe can definately handle it I've been doing that since last fall when I got the plane and I don't see any sign of stress to the airframe as of yet. Oh, to mention, lomchevoks are very sweet with this plane too and moving the C/G back makes it slow down better for landing.
Jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
lippucci

Got it. Thanks. Your engine & make along with prop choice would also be helpful, Norm
Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

lippucci, if you were asking me, I am running an os 70 surpass II with a 13x5.5 master airscrew prop. I get nearly unlimited vert. with this combo but all out speed isn't really there. Big fan + small pitch = lots of low end power. that is what I prefer right now. It still does between 80 - 90 mph though.
I get tons of flight time on one tank but if I were to do it all over again, I would go with at least a 75 two stroke or maybe even bigger. Get unlimited speed and verticle. You don't have to run at full throttle all the time but when you want to go fast it's there!
jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
lippucci

Jeff..yes, thanks for the tips. I have an os .70 & will install. A .75 2 stroke? Yikes! I would think the .75 would think the engine would fly right out of the firewall. Let me know what happens if you do switch to the .75.
Been flying giants, (80" & above). The Rev looked kind neat..fast, inexpensive & clean. First one this size in quite some time, The last was the 63" Rambler. Thats where the .70 came from. Hanger rash & age took its toll.

Thanks again..Norm
Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
jrod1019

my revolver has an o.s.75, as i posted previously, i moved my c/g 5/16 back. and i thought i was flying a diffent plane! im getting ready to switch my bcm pitts o.s. 61 muffler for a bcm o.s. .75-.91 pitts. im thinking the extra volume of new muffler might free up some revs! they both have the same size stingers but the .75-.91 muffler has a bigger can. ill let every body know what i find out. b.t.w. i also had macs make me a custom header that drops to the center and and right in the middle so i can mount a .60-.75 unmuffled tuned pipe right under the fuse. that will be a few weeks down the road! that should get me some crazy speed!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

That is absolutely right , guys! The more power the better!! Like I said, you don't have to fly at full throttle all the time but is is really nice to have it when you need it or want it. the OS 70 surpass (they don'tmake it any more - just a cheap representation of it) is great for this plane, but, if you are proficient at flying this a/c, you WILL want more speed and power. That is where I am at, the 70 delivers everything I want, but I want more speed and power than that engine can give me. After all I am a revver brother!
Oh, by the way, The airframe can handle it!
Jeff
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 AM
freeair

this all sounds very interesting, i will be mounting my 1100 mah rx pack behind the fuel tank as mentioned as it is a much better position other than correct cog, atleast you can keep an eye on the pack where as having this positioned at the front under the nose cowl with rubber bands aint safe to me , i was going to make up a light alloy lid type of thing just to make sure the battery would stay put. i am fitting an OS 55 ax 2 stroke with the stock muffler plus a 1/2 inch manifold extension so all clears the cowl as mentioned by another guy on this post, cant waite to see where the power band comes in with this extra 1/2 inch add on ha ha .
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 AM
lippucci

Jeff & Free..thanks for the tips. After I try the OS .70 FS & some feel I may install an OS .61 2S. I too have the urge for power & speed. Some years ago I had a 60 size Chipmunk & used a .91. Great for about a year. Then one day, the engine with the firewall attached left the Chipmunk & flew alone for about 2 sec. Talk about overpower. Guess I should have reinforced the firewall..duuhhh. Norm
Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM
jrod1019

guys i got my bcm .75-.91 o.s. pitts muffer in and installed! it is a little bigger then the .61 pitts, and i had to trim the cowl out a little more. hope i get some more performance out the engine. should fly sat.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 PM
beaver180

G'Day there Jeff,

Just installing my Laser 70 FS into the Rev whilst I source another Rx ( as Beaver has it now, being a 9Ch one ) and was wondering what sort of revs your pulling on the OS 70 of yours? The OS 50 SX goes really well in the Rev but am going to try the Laser 70 more cos I can and it's gathering dust until I build my RV-4.

I take it you have tried a number of different props before settling on the MAS 13x5.5?? Though I don't need to run nitro in the Laser 70 I probably will use 10%, as I am in the Saito 180, and the manual suggests a 12x6 prop @ upto 10,500 rpm.

This is my first Four stroke in this smaller size and your knowledge would be great.

Cheers, Paul
Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I am running at 9,500 static. Sometimes more. I need to adjust the lifters and I will get more power and rpms out of this same prop. Need more. 13x5.5 master airscrew prop. The reason for the higher rpms with the four stroke is because I don't have alot of pitch in my prop. In order to get more rpms, I have to drop to a smaller diameter prop and it seems to fly and be morer responsive with a bigger fan. But at a big cost, I loose alot of top end. but I have plenty low end power. to do just your basic stuff and more, this prop works the best for me. I have experimented with about 8 different props in the last 6 months and this one here fits my flying personality with this plane well. That large of a fan slows the plane down better than the 12 inch props too. Also, changing the COG really helped it be easier to land. I finally got it set up right and it is truly a sweetheart to take off, fly and land now. I don't know if you have seen the video that I posted on youtube or not but I am under the call name of PC9JEFF.
Check it out. I was flying it when it was about 6 oz nose heavy at that time and I didn't like the performance that I was getting at that time. I need to get a better vid camera and post some more - it is fun to make a movie!
Oh, by the way, nothing beats the sound and fuel efficiency of a fourstroke!
Jeff
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 AM
beaver180

You're so right with the sound and fuel usage of the four strokes being better... That big Saito I've got in the Beaver sounds wicked!
Wonder how long I'll get using the 420ml tank in the Rev?? was getting about 25mins with the OS 50 SX

So far the Laser 70 is a great fit. Gone straight onto the GP engine mount and have had no problems getting the engine back to get same close cowl / spinner clearence. I will be using an alloy flexi exhaust pipe.. no big holes cut in the bottom like we had to with the pitts mufflers.

Would an APC prop be any better than the MAS's your using? apparently more efficient, lighter... I take it your using the K-series props??

CFN, Paul
Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I don't know how long that I can fly it with the stock tank. I usually fly about 15 minutes and have OVER 1/2 tank left. I flew it for 25 minutes once and I only burned about 3/4 of a tank. I never have burned it all. No dead sticks either after about 60+ flights. Some guys are even pulling out that tank and putting smaller ones in there for lighter planes.
Your Lazer 70 must be a bit shorter than my OS 70 because I had to dremel out part of the engine mount to get it to slide back far enough to get the spinner fairly close enough to the cowl. I don't know where the pics are of that set up but I think that I posted them around #37. Alot of guys are using the APC props and I used them along time ago and really didn't like them. I felt like they didn't have the power or the speed that master airscrew has. They have a thinner blade and they do really look cool. Just my opinion, I don't want to get into a war over props on this thread. The props that I like the best are the Master airscrew classics. They have painted white tips and the edges of the tips are a bit rounded off. Just experiment, you will have fun doing that and then you will find the prop that suites YOU. Everyone has different opinions on props and all of them are right but different personalities like different things.
Hope this helps and Happy flying in beautiful New Zealand!
Jeff
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 AM
beaver180

I think it's the Carb and exhaust positions that allow the Laser to mount further back without having to cut anything. Only issue I have at the mo is how I'm going to route the throttle cable []

I have an APC 12x6 that I'll start with and have ordered a MAS K series 13x5 to try. The saito 180 has a MAS Classic 18x6 on it... they are a good scale looking prop.

Just a quick snap of the mounting progress...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50471.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	979384  
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 AM
freeair

speaking of the rev fuel tank, it is a little on the large size unless your running something like a 100 plus 2 stroke. i have decided to go smaller size as theres no way the 55 will use even half of this tank full with a 15 minute flight.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 AM
beaver180

I reckon! Maybe we could get two tanks in that space.... one for SMOKE hmmmm???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.