Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50cc Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81"

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50cc Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81"

Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
mitchmcf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81"

I am looking for a 50cc 3D plane and I like the looks of the Nitro Models yak 54 and would like to hear from anyone who has one. I would like to know the good and the bad points for this model.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 AM
manyu

Default RE: 50cc Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81"

I am with you... i posted the same question a few days back ,,,,but no replies yet[X(]

though you could check out this thread. .http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53..._2/key_/tm.htm

manyu baweja
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 PM
opjose

This plane is a CMP Yak 54.

You can search here for the "CMP Yak".

It is identical to the CMP Yak 54 1.40.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
bigstikflyer

i just got a 81" yak from nitro what i seen in the box i am pretty pleased with the quality of the aircraft and also the hardware theat comes with it
Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Gatorb8

what color did you get?
I'm looking at the nitro Planes site and the 2 50cc yacks look very different
Yak 54 50CC - 2.2M Giant Scale Radio Remote Controlled Nitro Gas Plane ARF (Red) reg $999 sale $299
New 50cc 2.2M Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81" Radio Remote Controlled RC Aerobatic Plane reg $799 sale $289
very confusing

help!
Gator
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Gatorb8

I called Nitro Planes
they had no clue what the difference was!
anyone got the red one??? says it is reg $999 vs $799 on the white one.
Is it any better or just bs???

thanks
Gator
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 AM
sodbuster 1

have a feeling it's just a different covering job. Little more intricate than the white with checks version.
My wife just gave me one tonight for my birthday (the white with checks)
Nice little surprise!

Only problem is the only spare motor I have that might work is a Fuji 64 EI. Can't really spend the $$ for a new 50cc right now..Just hope it's not too heavy for the plane

Let's try and keep this thread going.I'll post pics of the contents in the next couple of days
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
sodbuster 1

ok, now that I've learned a little more about these planes I think the Yellow one might be constructed totally different than the Red/White one. I got the Red and White one. Stay away from it...total junk. Lousy hardware,landing gear,paper wing and stab tubes instead of the phenolics that came with the earlier ones, plywood delaminating everywhere,cowl paint job out of alignment by 1/2",wing tube 1/8" too high for proper fit of wing.And on and on.

Definitely worth spending $100-150 more to buy someone elses better quality plane. Cheaper in the long run and a better made plane I'm sure.If this thing doesn't come apart in the air I'll be amazed.
Seems Nitro changed the design or manufacturer where they were getting these from a little while back and it's nowhere near the quality of what they were shipping a year ago.It's possible the yellow one is the older version which is much better constructed.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
bigstikflyer

i got the red 50cc for $230 (onsale)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
sodbuster 1

I would have done you better than that!
Haven't maidened mine and if you'd paid the shipping I'd probably have just given it to you to get it out of my sight!

Actually, should be maidening it in a week or two so I figure it'll be a matter of a flight or two that I could ship it in a garbage bag........
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
bigstikflyer

sodbuster,
i am also within a week of maidening the yak, all we lack is the transmitter and Rx.
also did yours have a empty space near the landing gear as mine did
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
bigstikflyer

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...omodels/tm.htm

this is the link to the page where i posted a picture of the gap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73693.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1175802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43645.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1175803  
Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
sodbuster 1

you mean the gap from the former in front of the gear? or the gap in between the gear?

if you mean the gap between the gear they do that in case you install a cannister which I did.
(a one piece gear would be better for the plane if you don't run a cannister)
if you mean the gap from the forward former, can't see that as being a problem
what I WILL tell you is this .
brace the INSIDE of the landing gear plate with some hardwood triangle stock because I can tell you one thing for sure.....
the way they leave the factory it's gonna tear out on your first landing
if you're not running a cannister brace the forward bottom too
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
bigstikflyer

thanks, we put a bme 50 with a pitts style muffler.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 50cc Nitro Models Giant Scale Yak 54 3D ARF 81

I also got the red and white version, at first I was happy with the plane but after some very expensive radio gear and a good 50CC DL the plane wound up very tail heavy, as a rule I build all my planes from kits or scratch but no yak of this size was to be found so I went with this one. Boy did I screw up.I should have spent the extra money and got a better plane right off. The AUW was over 18 Lbs with it being very tail heavy with a 3.2 lb engine Not wanting to add dead weight I changed the engines to one of my G-62's set up for IGN at just a tad over 4 lbs, that did balance the plane. But at somewhere between 19-20 lbs dry, way to dang heavy for a 85 inch WS plane I flew it twice last weekend only to have the gear bend like bailing wire even on a hot landing and greasing the plane in the gear still bent, just soft junk, the hardware while it looks to be good, its very brittle and breaks very easy. As a rule I will give a product every chance there is, but i'm all done throwing money at this thing for now. The advertised weight of the plane is way off and considering it took almost a full lb of nose weight to make it balance out is just insane. That plus moving everything as far forward as possible, I even fudged a little on the 12 inch rule trying to get this plane to balance. I got some graphite gear for it and that didn't work out to hot either with it being split, and only saved 4oz's. So far with the graphite gear, graphite wing& tail tubes and other items I could have bought a better quality ARF with quality hardware for just a few dollars more. After I cool off some I may try to reconfigure the plane to get rid of some of the tail weight ,but for now its in the trailor and staying there for a while. Oh while i'm at it the tailwheel assy looks to be good nice and light weight but it is junk also bends like wire, soft wire that is. When the tailwheel assy bends up it puts slack in the rudder cables,fun huh ?
I have seen several of the smaller Nitro plane models and have been very impressed with there quality ,thats the only reason I got this 50cc YAK but somewhere along the way the quality fell off the wagon with this bird .a little hot glue is all that holds the gear plate in no tri stock and really nothing to hold it in there ,in fact the whole plane is held together with hot glue and not much of that
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM
googl1
My Feedback: (1)

HI;

I have some questions and statements:

I too have the CMP 50cc. I will for a lack of a better word call mine the "Rainbow" version. It is listed / retail for 999. I also notice the canopy is tinted blue

The other verstion is what i call the "checkerboard", which is the $799 retail version. It shows a clear canopy

What versions are the yellow?, White?, Red?

The Rainbow version I have is lighter that what some guys state. It is currently lighter by a pound over the 50cc extreeme flight yak of my freinds. Aluminum tube and all...

See attached picture

I am in the process of putting together all of the relevent build and set-up information on this bird. It will include notes from other posters. It is definitely confusing.

As far as using a heavier engine, isn't it smarter to get longer stand-offs to move the CG? Even if you have to make a spacer block?

Mine seems good, right on the wing tube with included standoffs and DL50, sans prop and spinner. Is this the best for 3D? What is recommended for 3D?

What is the 12" rule?

I do not see any hot glue on my model? Does anyone else?

What prop are you running? I was told Menz prop because of noise, performance and quality. I have also been told to get a prince prop but that they are much more expensive and because of the demand for UAV's may not be availible.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27635.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	1246543  
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

dont know why nitro planes put always $1,000,000 price and then sale $5 bucks. I have seen some nitro planes going down due the poor wing cover.. i cant imagine installing 500 bucks on servos, a $500 usd engine and $200 in electronics and lose everything due a bad airplane. I dont own one, but some people on my club did and they regret about that.

good luck!!.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
sodbuster 1

Well finally got to maiden mine.
Takeoff was uneventfull needed no trim.
Flies fairly well at 1/3 to full throttle.
But once I cut the throttle back the plane just kind of falls out of the sky. Completely does its own thing. You cannot believe some of the situations this plane put me into trying to regain control

Very scary.......
IAfter reading everyones posts saying they added almost a pound using Dl/DA 50's I decided to use a Fuji 64 which I converted to RCexl. Weighs around 4 lbs.

Installed a Sullivan smoke pump and 4.8v Nimh pack for it
2 rudder servos.
2- 5 cell AU Nimh packs
1-4 cell AA Nimh ignition pack

Plane weighs right around 20.5 pounds
WAY TOO HEAVY for this type of pane.
Have a Dawg House Yak 55 using a DL 55 that I'm putting togethr that will probably weigh in at 16-7 lbs.

Now THAT's more like it!
PLUS it was only $100 more but included Carbon Fiber wing tube, MUCH better hardware, and the quality of construction?

The post would be just way too long trying to do a head to head.......

Nitro Models? If you're interested? Which from my dealings with you about some of the issues, I know you're not.......

THIS PLANE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!!!!!!!

I Implore anyone contemplating this model not to be suckered into it by the low price.
That is my review of this plane........
Take it for what its worth

Want a nice inexpensive YAK?
Go for the Dawg House. You'll never regret it.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
googl1

HI;

What servos are you using?

Why is the plane 20 Lbs?

What prop?

Want to sell it?

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Cyberwolf

ORIGINAL: googl1

HI;

I have some questions and statements:

I too have the CMP 50cc. I will for a lack of a better word call mine the ''Rainbow'' version. It is listed / retail for 999. I also notice the canopy is tinted blue

The other verstion is what i call the ''checkerboard'', which is the $799 retail version. It shows a clear canopy

What versions are the yellow?, White?, Red?

The Rainbow version I have is lighter that what some guys state. It is currently lighter by a pound over the 50cc extreeme flight yak of my freinds. Aluminum tube and all...

See attached picture

I am in the process of putting together all of the relevent build and set-up information on this bird. It will include notes from other posters. It is definitely confusing.

As far as using a heavier engine, isn't it smarter to get longer stand-offs to move the CG? Even if you have to make a spacer block?

Mine seems good, right on the wing tube with included standoffs and DL50, sans prop and spinner. Is this the best for 3D? What is recommended for 3D?

What is the 12'' rule?

I do not see any hot glue on my model? Does anyone else?

What prop are you running? I was told Menz prop because of noise, performance and quality. I have also been told to get a prince prop but that they are much more expensive and because of the demand for UAV's may not be availible.

OK lets try to get all your questions answered here
1. You can't make any longer stand offs due to the way the cowling fits the plane, the cowl slides up over the bulkhead to fit tight up against it ,and I have tried that before and a person won't get very far moving the engine out 2 inches won't change the CG as much as one might think as a rule. The DL stand offs was perfect for length I own my own machine shop so stand offs isnt a problem to make.
2. Your plane is a different plane from the red & white (checkered as you call it) They was out at the time I ordered mine and from other threads I have read its a better plane all around for weight and build. as far as hot glue I have not seen a ARF yet that dosent have some in it someplace. BTW make sure you check your landing gear plate mine didn't have any tri stock and I am quite sure it would have come out W/O any problems.
3.I was useing a 23x8 JXF to start off and when I checked the thrust it wasn't what I call good enough around the 25- 26 lb mark, but that was on the first tank of fuel, so I changed to a Vess 22-B for break in and increased both RPM's to 7,000 and around 28-29 Lbs of thrust that was ok for now.
A rule of thumb is 1-1/2 to 2 times the weight of the plane in thrust for 3-D for good pullout from a Hover.
So if you have a 15-16 lb plane and 25-30 lbs pull you should be in fat city.
Sometimes this is just not fesable to obtain due to the plane weight and engine power.
4. CG on the wing tube on most of the 50cc and up planes is a good place to have it for most all types of flying.
5. The 12 inch rule is to keep the reciever batteries, switches and reciever and also the charge jacks 12 inches away from the ign source and batteries A person can fudge a little on this at times depending on which IGN there useing.
6. The instructions are indeed a joke ,but if a person has had some experence with these larger planes you can sort of get the drift at the chinglish there throwing at you. BTW my instructs showed the elevator servos going in each elevator ,which they don't they go in the fuse a little confusing to say the least.
7. I have hitec 7955TG all around for servos except for the throttle
8. I am also running a duel battery and switch set up overkill maybe but I have seen it save a plane before. Also a small power expander which it may not need but I like the fact knowing all the servos are getting the same power.
If I went to lipos and regs I could maybe save some weight ,but I have sunk all the money in this thing I am willing to.

Ok for the positive part of the plane YES it has some *L* on low rates the plane flew well and was very agile, KE was true and straight with rudder only No coupling issues.
The plane flew as well on low rates as they did on high.
But with the plane weighting in at almost 20 Lbs mine like sodbusters had a fairly good decent rate of fall but it didn't go out of control it dropped both wings at the same time just inches off the deck so thats a huge plus. But I had to land it at a high rate of speed in order to keep it flying. I have flown several of these 50CC planes and a good one is light on its feet and will land very slow.
I have spent most of this last week changing the plane around and putting it on a diet, I changed out the G-62 and put back the DL-50 over a pound diff, but I removed the Canister muffler and went with the stock one, that saved a full pound alone. Next I took the servos out of the fuse rear and moved them up close to the CG then machined up a block with bearing supports to hold the control rods for the elevators and used carbon fiber arrow shafts as pushrods. The whole set up weighed in at half the weight of a servo. So I did add some weight, but I think the benifits of having the servos closer to CG will outweigh the added weight. I also made some holders for my batteries which moved them up closer to the front of the plane I have not weighed the plane yet but I am hopeing for a 17lb figure I feel the the 3 lbs will make a drastic difference in the way the plane flies and lands.
A little tail heavy is fine with me most planes are more responsive that way but a full lb of nose weight would have put the engine out there a mile to overcome that.
A buddy of mine flies the EF yak with a 58 BME that weighs in at 16.5 LBS so if your plane is a full pound lighter than his you should have a real good flying plane.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 PM
googl1

Guys;
You know the old saying: You get what you pay for. Quit Flaming NitoPlanes.

So I know I was paying less for a plane and that it was not an EF or TBM, etc... and would have shortcomings.

But I also know as everyone else does, these models are built in China and often at the same factory. So at often times 30% less I am willing to do a little sweat equity. This is afterall a hobby. Tinkering and playing about is part of the hobby.

What we are trying to do here is make the best of our purchase by getting the plane to fly well.

I think we all have purchased great name brand planes that were horrible flyers, that were bad quality, that did not have all the parts glued correctly. etc. etc....

Let's discuss the problems and present solutions.

One good solution to the landing gear: CF or other brand. Can anyone make a recommendation that has been used on this plane? Make, model, size...

Another good solution was to reenforce the LG mount with triangle stock.

Props that worked well with DL50? Sounds like the Vess 22-B is a good fit. Any others?

Let's keep the suggestions coming. Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Cyberwolf

As a rule the lower the altitude the larger more pitch prop can be used, I see alot of the guys are useing the vess 23xB or JXF 23x8 at sea level or close and turning some very respectable RPM's and thrust numbers. In my case the 23x8 was just to much at 4500 feet so a drop down in size gave me close to what I wanted. When I change engines to the 62 I gained a few hundred RPM's at top end but it just wasn't enough to warrant the extra weight over the DL-50
If you go with CF gear don't cut it that may give a person a fighting chance, mine acted like spagetti even with a cross brace installed. I had no choice but to cut mine useing the cannister type muff

And you are correct in saying you don't alway get the best just because you paid a high price for it.
But these forums are to let people know of there experences and findings with items they have, sorry if some of them don't fit your likings I'm not trying to offend anyone. I call it as I see it and hate to bash a item, as a rule I am a very patient person. Also I am doing my best to give this plane every chance there is.
The only reason I went with Nitro was because of there smaller stuff I had seen, most of them was very well put together with a nice finish and they flew well. The only draw back to most of the china planes is the covering & glue.

Update I got my plane back together yesterday I was hpoing for a little less weight ,but the completed fuse with everything in it weighs in at 15 lbs, if memory serves me correct the wing was just shy of 3 lbs for a total of about 18 lbs, this is at least 2 lbs less than it was and I hope enough to be able to bring the plane in at a better pace for landings.
The CG wound up being just aft of center on the wing tube actually thats where they call for it, so we'll see what happens.
I was hoping for a universal type plane that would both do some 3-D and IMAC flying If the plane lands well I may just settle for IMAC with this one and go to something else for 3-D.

Heres one thing that has not been mentioned the darn wing bolts up front are nothing sort of a real B&^#$&&*&*( to get it and tight, the tank is right in the way.And if a person ever wanted smoke well forget the front bolts altogether. I have been useing one of the short servo arms that came with the plane for a screwdriver, it just happens to be a snug fit in the slots and won't fall out when turning.
This is what I am thinking of doing, make some screw in dowels for the front and use a spring type cotter pin & flat washers I have seen this on several other planes and it seems to work well. Between that and the rear bolts I don't think the wing should have any issues, afterall the wings seldom have a side force wanting to throw them out of the
fuse ,most all of the pressure is up or down.
If someone has a better idea lets hear about it.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
googl1

You mentioned that you have CF gear...
What brand, size and price?

DO you have the CF wing Tube?

What is the weight difference between the Gear and the Tube?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Cyberwolf

Yes I went with a CF tube and gear, the tube made a big difference ,my tube weighed in at almost a full lb 15oz I believe where as the CF tube weighs only 2 oz's, However the gear is another story I saved a whopping 4 oz's was all, not hardly worth the money for it. But its very flimsy wants to turn outwards on a landing even with a expansion rod to help prevent spread it was not a ideal situation at best. Since I was tail heavy I went back with the stock gear. I got all three items, the tube,gear and tailwheel assy from Graphtec. I didn't use the tailwheel assy since there was no savings to be gained over stock, However after seeing the way the stock tailgear bends I may go ahead and use it afterall.
Since I was new to useing CF items I went with a name that I had heard of quite alot, Sort of wished I had of did some more checking around before I bought. The tube was a very high quality item the 2 gears was less than what I expected. Wish I had went with a CF stab tube as well, no so much for weight but for more strength. Right off I don't remember what the price was for the items mentioned but there posted on Graphtecs website.

Do you have a AUW on your plane yet?

If your wondering why I went with the radio gear I did, its all overkill for a 50-CC plane But I plan on going larger 33-35% and didn't want to have to spend alot more money for better servos and so on.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:43 AM
guapoman2000

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any more updates?