Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

ORIGINAL: IFLYBVM2

Hi Guys-In case anyone needs a Plug N Play version fast, (the one with the pre-installed Zenoah G-20 and JR servos), I have one for sale. (I ended up with two of these-LONG story) PM me or phone 843-546-6511 days EST-Ask for Mike . I'm willing to offer free shipping on it to save someone a few bucks as well. I live in S.C and can ship fast.

Mike --
How'd you get yours? They (Horizon) told me it'd be Sept rfore any of these were shipped....
Thanks
Al
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had it on back order since it was first announced-Thanks-Mike O
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
mobyal

Yeah. Me too. In fact, I called my LHS from the floor at Toledo and had them order it for me...
Thanks
Al
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobby Town, Hobby Town,

They have them on their floors right now as I stated in an earlier post. Why order one?

Gibbs
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Hobby Town, Hobby Town,

They have them on their floors right now as I stated in an earlier post. Why order one?

Gibbs
A couple of reasons...
As I said in an earlier post, what I ordered, and what Mike is talking about, is the "Pn'P" version. The one w/ the Zenoah G20, servos, tank, batteries etc already installed. You stick in a receiver, charge the batteries, bolt it together and go fly it. I ordered that one because I saw it at Toledo, was mighty impressed, thought among other things it'd be a good first gasser for me -- everything already set up and installed -- and they said they were only bringing in 100 of those. So I called my LHS and had them order it for me.
Second, the one that your earlier post referred to is the ARF version. That's been available for several weeks, but the Pn'P has not.
Third, I live 75 miles, more or less, from the nearest Hobby Town, and they don't have even the ARF; I called them and asked. Matter of fact, I live more than 50 miles from the nearest hobby shop, so I order a lot of stuff.
So that's why I ordered one....
Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Yep ordered my PNP cub from my local HS a few weeks ago and they said early September. CAN'T WAIT!! Only thing I'm gonna add to the plane is a fiber optic kill switch since its got an electronic ignition. I like to be able to shut a gas engine off by my transmitter.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
mobyal

LHS called this pm. Mine -- the Pn'P version's in. Apparently it comes in two boxes, wings in one and rest in the other. He's had the wings since Monday, but had to chase down the other box. I'll pick it up Sat am.....
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

To the flyer that did a cartwheel at 10 feet with his ARF Cub, I don't care how much glue was or was not on the firewall joint.

The firewall has a pretty good chance of coming out.

My new PNP J-3 seems to have a secure firewall. I checked it before running the engine and no movement.

I ran the engine for more than an hour and still no movement.

I didn't bother to pull the tank and ignition battery out to check for glue on the inside, but it's tight as of today.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM
AirplaneMan04

I am looking forward to Pics of the new cub when you guys have a chance!
Also some opinions on your first impressions of covering job, scale details etc.
This looks like one nice plane for the money. Dick, will you be doing a review
on this Hangar 9 cub soon?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
pettit

Yes, the review will be in R/C REPORT in a few months.

I'll put some photos up next week.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 PM
NCIS

mobyal,

I'm happy you got the plane. I didn't realize you were that set on getting the PNP or I wouldn't have even posted Hobby Town.[&o]

Sorry,

Gibbs
Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 PM
mobyal

Gibbs --
No problem at all. I appreciated the status info, and was considering the ARF w/ a Saito 120 if mine was delayed longer....
Couldn't find one of those either! LOL It's difficult sometimes to get stuff out here in the sticks.
Have a good one.
Thanks
Al
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 PM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

I finished mine with a saito 150, and it balanced just perefct, the only change I made it was the battery pack position, I instal the battery in front, just under the control panel domie. it looks great it shouls fly great also. I let you know; I´ll make a good pre fligth inspeccion and it should be on the AIR this weakend.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
kivisto

It has to be asked; saito 182 twin?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

Anyone tried a Magnum 160 twin? I am currently using one in a giant Super Sportster. Flys ok but a little underpowered for the supersportster. A cub needs a twin!
Sam
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
pettit

All you will need to do is remove the dummy engines on the cowl and split it top and bottom to be able to remove it.

Either engine would be a good choice, if you really want to hack up the cowl.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
skybolt10

Just finished the ARF version last week. I installed a Fuji 24. Fits great. A little hacking for the carb, spark plug and the muffler pipes. Only bad thing I noticed is the struts on the landing gear are very weak. It's not the construction of the struts itself. The struts have two springs on each strut that provide the dampning. After three flights the springs keep stretching out. I've cut a coil or two off the springs to shorten them up and they keep stretching. (No not because of hard landings) I called Horizon customer service about the problem and they sent out a complete new landing gear right away. I put that in last night and it's out to the field tomorrow. We'll see if these new struts do any better. I have my doubts. The springs were probably made in the same place. (Another recall from China looks like) I'm looking very hard at some struts from Robart. Much better looking strut assembly. As of right now I think you'll have problems with the strut springs stretching. Other then that the plane went together great. No complaints at all. My firewall is doing fine. Tomorrow will tell.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
fly_69

I have 3 flights on my PNP version. I was flying in 17.5 MPH wind and the plane handles great! I was slighly concerned that the engine would not be powerful enough where I live. But, The zenoah G20 has enough power to pull this plane around very nicely at 4300 feet above sea level where I am at. The plane does not fly fast and it is not supposed to... It's a cub! I really enjoy flying this very scale and large gasoline powered plane. It can fly nearly 30 minutes on one full tank of fuel. I normally fly faster sport and pattern type planes but really enjoy warbirds and scale planes too. I wanted a gasoline plane and this seemed just right. I feel that I made a great choice for a PNP type plane as it is more scale in appearance than any other model airplane stock from the box that I have ever seen and I have been in the hobby for 18 years.

There is one thing you might want to consider to change on this PNP version. The ignition battery is a NiCad 4.8v 2400 mah and will need to be charged again after only three flights unless you want to fly to is limit and possibly dead stick at the end of the fourth flight due to no spark from the ignition. I will be purchasing a 4.8v 3000 mah NiCad to give me more run time and peace of mind as well. please note that it is not recommended to use a NiMH battery as it cannot handle the amp draw of the ignition system as well as a NiCad.

I have not had any problems with the firewall or with the landing gear or any other structural things other than re-shrinking the covering which is normal on all ne ARF's.
The engine started flawlessly by using the engine manual as a guide and I am using a 32:1 fuel mixture with premium gasoline and Klotz KL-100 2cycle racing oil. I have not made any adjustments to the engine at all and it idles and runs perfectly.

I did have some issues with my plane during assembly.
1. The cover plate on the door that covers the door handle/latch assembly was not included as it should have been. Horizon said they will take care of it for me.
2. when adjusting the horizontal and vertical fin support wires, the to lower ones were not soldered well enough to allow turning the clevis without breaking loose the solder joint. this was easily repaired with silver solder using the flux that comes with it and in fact barely discolored the paint on them.
3. the left wing servo mounting blocks had come loose from the mounting plate and thus the servo was loose in the wing cavity. there was no damage to the covering at all and I epoxied the blocks to the cover plate and remounted the servo. It looked like there was insufficient glue to hold it. I checked the other servo and gave it a good hard twist by removing the assembly from the wing and grasping the servo and plate and it passed and I made no modifications to that servo assembly.

In conclusion: I love this plane! I would recommend it to anyone wanting a nearly completly ready to fly plane with a gasoline engine. However it is not a trainer although it can and does fly very stable at low speed it is a taildragger and might be tricky for beginners to learn landing and takeoff with. Wth a buddy box I would not hesitate to let anyone take the controls to fly it though. My girlfriend loves to fly this plane and next week i think I will have her teakeoff and land it... she already knows how to fly!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
pettit

C&H Electronics makes a replacement ignition unit for the G-20. I have one and it draws 300 milliamps at full throttle. That will extend the flight time by 7 times!

Probably more expensive than another battery, but to get the same run time you'd need a 15,000 maH battery!

It's on their site

www.ch-ignitions.com

and look tor "CH-RCEXL" in the lower rignt of the page
Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 PM
NCIS

I'm wanting one more now,

I started this thread and thought it would die. I am impressed by all the feedback. If I hadn't just spent to much money on three new planes I would take the dive. Wife took my credit cards and said 15 planes is enough.[&o] Maybe for Christmas if I'm a good boy!!! Keep up with the feedback. I love to read about your experiences with the plane and the different setups your doing.

Have fun with yours,

Gibbs
Old 08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
fly_69

Thanks for the info on the CH ignition system. I will look into that but will stay with the original setup for now. Before I buy the larger battery I will definitely look at the CH ignition system.

This holiday weekend I will hopefully be flying every day. I will put as many flight on the cub as I can and let you know more details later.

NCIS... Good luck on getting the Cub for Christmas! I hope you do because you will enjoy it! I really think the PNP version is awesome because it only took me 4 hours to have it completely ready to fly. One phillips screwdriver, some loctite ( the blue stuff) and three allen wrenches (SAE not metric) and a reciever for my radio were all that was need to complete it. I have not removed the cowl from the pre-installed engine yet either. I just removed the cowl screws and put loctite on them and put them back in. If it were not for the loose servo and re-soldering the stab supports, I could have assembled this plane in under 3 hours EASY!

I used to love to build airplanes but just can't seem to make the time to do it and the Hangar 9 planes are so well built and light and priced right that I can't build them any cheaper and in some cases I can't build them better. If I build I'm not flying and if I'm flying I'm not building, ARF's or PNP's are the right choice for me now.

I have a 95 Toyota 4-Runner and this plane barely fits in it. I can only take my 1/4 scale cub and my TRex 600 with me to fly.
Good thing my girlfriend has a van and can put several planes in it when we remove the two rear passenger seats.

Thanks again petit!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
fly_69

Oops! I forgot to mention a couple more tools I used on my cub. I used small pliers and a small wrench set (Small SAE wrenches from Sears were great!) and some 30 minute epoxy for the servo mount. Pliers and the small wrench set for tightening the strut mounts and tail wire and control linkage locknuts.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
NCIS

fly_69,

I have to agree with you on the PNP part. I am getting Builders Burnout [>:] and that is why I assemble ARF's in the Summer and fly as much as I can. I am even now starting to hate to assemble them if there is a PNP version that's the way I'm going to go. Good luck with your Cub! When Winter gets here I have to start a 3 year build on my 1/4 scale F4U-1D Corsair. I hope by then I feel motivated again. I'm sure I will once Fall and Winter get here and I freeze my Butt off a couple times trying to fly. I'll be more than happy to Build.

Gibbs
Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

Thanks for the info Dick about the twins. My plane is coming in next week and I was wondering if I would have to split the cowl. Do you think an OS 120 FS is enough power? I also have a Magnum 180. Looking forward to your reviwe in RC Report.
Sam
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

all this talk about Cubs and no pics!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.