Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Nice report. I always figured cubs were calm weather birds. My World Models 1/4 scale J-3 Cub has a G-23 and always gets tossed around by anything over 6 mph wind. I bet that yours sounded better. Could you get us a picture with your Saito installed?
BTW, it sounds like everyone will have to replace their springs eventually....and glue their tires to the rims. Any other imperfections?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
cobra525
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just that up to now. Worth the effort though. Lets see if I can manage to get a pic of the mounted 120 up here shortly. I have a WW1 Thomas Morse scout Bipe and that does great with three of my girlfriend's hair bands on each side. Im going to try to replace the springs on the cub with that see if it works out. The black O rings commonly found on Robarts might just do the trick here too.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
NCIS

I had no idea that this thread would be so popular. I was just curious about how the Cub flew and wanted to know so I could decide if I wanted one or not. You Guy's are making me want the PNP version more and more as you post such good reports. I'm going to get one in the Spring and have some fun with it. I will be able to compare how it flies against the 1/5 scale Great Planes Kit I built to scale. It has a 90" wingspan and still is not painted and finished up yet. I'll paint it eary in the Spring and then take them both out to the field and compare. I'm a builder and not a big fan of ARF's but if the ARF flies better than my scale 1/5 built up Cub I might just change my mind. I know one thing for certain and that is I could never build the 1/4 scale Cub for the price their asking for it. My time would cost more than that!!!

Gibbs
Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 PM
roaddog2

You guys're turnin' me GREEN !!! I've got a DP Super Cub an' a G-26 jus' waitin' t' be assembled into a flyin' machine! I've got a bit o' healin' t' do first tho'. "My head blew up" a while back an' cost me my right side. SOON, tho'.... It'll probly come t'gether come spring an' I'll have a few tales o' my own.
I'm not really jealous; you guys're entertainin' as well as educational. Thanks, all.
RD2
Old 10-01-2007, 01:21 PM
NCIS

RD2,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Keep thinking positive and it will all come together for you in time.

Barry/Gibbs
Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM
roaddog2

Gotcha. Tnx,
RD
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Eric.Henderson

The landing gear works well on grass. You can see it flex but it does not cause any unwanted bounce.

I had almost finished the review and a customer came in the store and wanted a finished version custom built. This time I set the "build-clock" and was using an OS 1.60FX and Bisson mount. No real modifications were required other than my usual preference for a side mounted engine.

It took me 19.5 hours of steady building to have this airplane ready to go With a DX7 and an R7000. The first build is hard to time accurately because you are constantly stopping for photos and note taking. I now have some more material for the review and an even better appreciation for this ARF.

I really like the way mine flys with the MARK (MOKI) 2.1 but if the "NJ Pine Barons Three Amigos" do their winter formation thing, I will probably go with a spare OS 1.60 FX. I have also been looking at the MARK 1.8 gas motor and the 1.6 EVO gas engine. I have one of each in the glass display case at work and they keep talking to me about the CUB...They all keep talking to me these days........ (VBG)

Regards,

Eric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74549.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	776547  
Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 AM
cobra525

The spings work well and do flex a bit but wont stretch and retain their tension. I brought it in with a pretty mean crosswind. I touched down on the left wheel first and that was it. I removed the springs later at home and the left ones are 1/4 inch longer than the right side. If any one was wondering whats in those bungee covers, its basicly what you would expect. Two telescoping tubes that go into each other tesioned by a front and rear sping. The eyelets that you hook the spings to are simply four small hex nuts welded on the tubes. I took advantage of the nut threats and ran bolts thru them to serve as retaining pins. I used doubled up rubber bands till I find something better. I get super stiff tension and smooth flex now. NOTE: The Hangar9 bungee covers actually close up using a plastic wire tie strap thru a sleeve at the top near the cross brace. Pretty nice. If you can manage to expose the tie strap and remove it the covers will slide down with out ruining them. I unfortunately saw this after I cut them completely open. I ordered the swenson specialties covers with velcro since I will surely have to replace rubberbands from time to time. I like this cub just about as much as my Balsa USA L4. Its a very nice plane to have. Was anyone missing any hardware parts in the package?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
jdplace

Greetings from Northern Minnesota. Just got back from my maiden flight with my new cub. What a dream to fly. Not one thing to complain about. Except trying to get the big bird to settle down on the ground. It just wants to keep flying.

Set up you ask. ARF with a Saito 125 swinging a 17x4W (thats all i had in the shop. I will try a 16x6 or 16x8) Futaba gear on the inside. All throws set up like the book says. The only mod I made was to add a 1/4 inch of ply on the fire wall to space out the engine for the correct prop hub spacing. The supplied engine mounts don't allow for a small engine to have the correct spacing. I suppose the crank shaft on a 125 is shorter that the recommended 150-180. Also I mounted the engine sideways. I did this for two reasons. One is that I have been fighting flooding issues with inverted engines on other planes. And the second is to have that beautiful saito head sticking out the side makes for a great looking cowl.

I hope to get a couple flight on tomorrow. I will keep you posted on any trouble if any.

Currently flying: H9 showtime 90, H9 Miss America P-51, H9 Twist and H9 Tribute. And last but not least a raptor 30.

Joe
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

photos? picks? video´s?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

I have a Magnum 160 twin in mine and it flies great. More power than it needs. I usually fly at half throttle with a master airscrew 16-8 prop. I hated to spend this much on an arf, but it really flies good. Handles 15mph winds pretty well also.
Sam
Old 10-23-2007, 12:49 AM
cobra525

Awesome JDPLACE. Glad the test flights went good. I siliconed the H9 tires to the rims and havent had any other issues with mine either. In fact I re-adjusted my Saito 120S since my last posts and am now getting 10 min. flights with almost a half tank to spare. How much better can it get. I would like to see a pic of the 160.

Name:	Db85455.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	788563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73977.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	788564  
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

The struts and landing gear assembly look exactly like the ones that came with the DPM Cub. In the pics you guys are posting, this cub looks to be of higher quality than the DPM.

Sounds like the Saitos are working out ok for this one. I'll be ordering mine soon. Hopefully this thread will stay active with new info. and updates.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
mobyal

Hey all --
A warning here.
I've had my "Pn'P" new in the box for a couple of months now. Today I got the wings out to do some work on them (adding my own "N" numbers...), and the aileron blocks , and of course the aileron, weren't even attached to the aileron servo cover on the left wing, and were so loose on the right wing that they came off w/ a slight tug. There were signs that there'd been some sort of attempt to glue them at one time, but with what I do not know. Sure as hell wasn't epoxy! So I epoxyed them on and I guess I'll be checking all the rest of the joints, mounts etc. as I ready this one for use. "Ready to fly"? "Just add receiver"? I don't think so...
At least they'd fallen all the way off on one side, so that I was forewarned.
Check 'em good, guys!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: shford

I have a Magnum 160 twin in mine and it flies great. More power than it needs. I usually fly at half throttle with a master airscrew 16-8 prop. I hated to spend this much on an arf, but it really flies good. Handles 15mph winds pretty well also.
Sam
Can you post some pics of this set-up?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
jdkxtreme

I have the 1/5 size of this plane..80" wingspan..evoloution.46..This thing is crap to take off..Does the 1/4 scale do much better?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

all J3´s even the real one have some dificult to drive it in the runway, the tail is is a little triky,,practice will help you.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
fly_69

jdkxtreme... One thing that I have found is that a cub as a model is typically overpowered which enhances the the prop thrust on the left side of the verticle fin because most modelers give full throttle on takeoff. This is not needed with an overpowered cub. You should try it at half throttle and just let it take a little bit more runway before liftoff. I have the 80" H9 cub with a saito 82 and I takeoff at half throttle and only need to feed a little right rudder (only enough to keep it straight) until the plane is at enough speed that the rudder is effective "flying" and rudder input is no longer needed on the runway as expected on all taildraggers.

More about the 1/4 scale H9 PNP cub... the Zenoah G20 engine is just right for this model. It is not overpowered and I can do full throttle takeoff with just a little bit of right rudder to keep it straight. As soon as it gains speed on the runway I let off the rudder and it continues straight down the runway.

I hope this helps you JDK.

Mobyal... As posted on page 2 by me, my 1/4 PNP cub also had one aileron servo mount loose in the wing and I too thought it looked like there was insufficient glue applied to hold it in place. my other aileron servo was fine and I have not done anything to it. I called Horizon and informed them of this, so hopefully they have resolved this on newer ones after we got ours when they first became available.

Update on my 1/4 scale PNP...
After 42 flights I finally had a hard bounce landing and stretched one of the springs in the landing gear. I have been doing a lot of one wheeled touch, roll down the runway and go's. It was easy to repair. In the upper end of the spring cover is just a small zip tie closing the end. Just find the opening and cut the zip tie and you will have access to the springs for repair and then fish a new small zip tie into the end and zip it closed. I noticed that Horizon is soon going to have a landing hardware kit available for about $6 (check the website)I hope it has springs and I think it says something about axles too. I noticed my wheels are getting wobbly on my axles and I have not checked yet to see if it is the axles or the wheels.

I love both of my H9 cubs, they fly great! But the 1/4 scale is unbeatable! It flies so good and scale at half or less throttle... it looks totally real!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Hill202

Wow, as many people that wanted a DPM Cub and did not get one, you would think this plane would be more popular.

Are those dummy engines glued on from the factory?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 AM
cobra525

Yes the dummy engines are molded in fiberglass. The cowling feels nice and solid. Mine came with a perfect finish on it.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Hill202

There're molded into the cowl? So if you want to use the OS 160 twin, you'll have to really butcher the cowl.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 AM
cobra525

Well in hopes of keeping this thread somewhat going, Here are some pics of a cool little access hatch I made to the bottom just behind the firewall. I used an ordinary standard issue baseball card as a template. Now I dont have to remove the tank if I want to get to the batteries. I can also inspect the inside of the firewall tank and refueler for problems. Should have come with one already in my opinion.

Name:	If10718.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	824618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60317.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	824619  
Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 PM
newshoundaussie

Anyone have pictures of a zenoah 26 installed rather than the 20? I am looking at the new floats that hanger 9 has coming out for the plane. This may be a better engine choice, but I do not want to destroy the cowl with a larger engine. Any opinions from someone who has the plane?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 PM
fly_69

I have the Zenoah G20 (I got the PNP version) in mine and I am located higher than 4,200 feet above sea level and this engine has plenty of power to get this plane off the water with floats. The large engines are just not needed with this plane.

I am going to get (Order) the floats also... Christmas? At least I hope I get them soon anyway.

When I do get them and fly it from the water this spring, I will let you all know how it does.
With this plane flying very well and fast "for a cub" at high altitude and in 25 Mph wind without any problems at all, I can't see how it would need a bigger engine for floats. Mine will stay in the air at and can slowly gain altitude at less than %25 throttle.

Today after 3 more flights, I now have 55 flights on mine. I have made every flight at least 15 minutes (Timer on the Spektrum DX7) and several flights at 20 and 25 minutes totaling over 15 hours of flight time so far. The landing gear springs are mushier now but they work better than they did when new as far as absorbing shock.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
newshoundaussie

Thanks for the repy Fly 69. Will go with the plane and order the zenoah 20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.