Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 3D 150 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 3D 150 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 PM
linkadrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twist 3D 150 ARF

your welcome Mark.

As far as 2 Stroke glow engines go the 120 pulls the plane through the air pretty good i just have to solve my back pressure problem. I'm sure a Saito 180, or a OS 160FX or even a OS 120AX engine would be great engines to use on this plane too. I'm thinking but dont really know but i think a OS 160FX with a tuned pipe would be off the hook for this plane.

I'm looking into investing in a macs Header and tuned pipe for my GMS 120 Just to see if i can get a little more power out of the little monster. Seems the pitts muffler is not a good muffler for a GMS 120 but i'm gonna block a tube or put some sort of restrictors on it to increase my back pressure then i wont have that putt putt purrr Blah Blah when i go verticle with it or in a dive it wont do that hopefully. level flight seems good tank is 1/2 inch higher then the spray bar. In upside down flight it does the same think start to cut out and want to die. Modified the fuel inlet it wasn't lined up and seems to be restricted drilled it out and now it start alot better and seems to run better so I'll fly it tommarrow with out any restrictions just to see how it does again. and if it does the same thing then I'll block a tube on the muffler and fly it till i can get a tuned pipe for it..
Old 07-05-2008, 11:49 PM
kerwin50

Mark I think I would try an 18*8 an see what kinda r's your getting. a 6 pitch just isn't enough for a gasser
Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

your welcome Mark.

As far as 2 Stroke glow engines go the 120 pulls the plane through the air pretty good i just have to solve my back pressure problem. I'm sure a Saito 180, or a OS 160FX or even a OS 120AX engine would be great engines to use on this plane too. I'm thinking but dont really know but i think a OS 160FX with a tuned pipe would be off the hook for this plane.

I'm looking into investing in a macs Header and tuned pipe for my GMS 120 Just to see if i can get a little more power out of the little monster. Seems the pitts muffler is not a good muffler for a GMS 120 but i'm gonna block a tube or put some sort of restrictors on it to increase my back pressure then i wont have that putt putt purrr Blah Blah when i go verticle with it or in a dive it wont do that hopefully. level flight seems good tank is 1/2 inch higher then the spray bar. In upside down flight it does the same think start to cut out and want to die. Modified the fuel inlet it wasn't lined up and seems to be restricted drilled it out and now it start alot better and seems to run better so I'll fly it tommarrow with out any restrictions just to see how it does again. and if it does the same thing then I'll block a tube on the muffler and fly it till i can get a tuned pipe for it..
Personal experience: OS FX1.60 with sports muffler and an 18x6W APC and she accelerates to a pinpoint straight up.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM
kerwin50

hilleyja great thats what i've been wanting to hear I've thought about the 160 and couldn't decide on that engine or the BGX. I've got a 40 size with an OS 61 in it an I'm wanting the same kinda power weight combo as that set-up.
What servos are you using
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
markaboo929

that sounds ok ill try it-but what do ya think a good rpm is for an 18 x 8 to pull this thing around?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 PM
kerwin50

8 grand would be great
Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Sahuaro3

I just flew my Twist 150 for the first time last Tuesday and love it. The Satio 180 is a great power combo. The plane is very predictable. With the 180 it will hang on the prop at 1/4 to 3/8 throttle all day long.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM
jdkxtreme

Well I just got the 150..I have the .40 size one..I guess it will be a little bit before i get everything to put it together..I just wanted it while it was still 149.99....Now I just have to make my mind up on the evo that horizon calls for or the saito 180.....I would love to make this my first gasser
Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
fritzdecat

I tried it with the EVO 26 but I liked the midrange of the 180 better, just have more goo to clean up than I did with the gasser
Found this stuff at Dollar General for a dollar a bottle best cleaner I ever used
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone tried to electrify this thing yet. Working on one for a buddy that we're going for batt. power. He has the 40 with a 46 FX on it and I have a Himax H50 on mine and they are about equal, power wise.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM
linkadrip

That should be intresting after you have EP power the plane give details and pics i may do it to mine. I'm getting tired of fighting engines on this plane. would be great to just flick a switch ang go..
Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM
jdkxtreme

I am sure a few of you guys also have or have had the .40 size twist.. I have 2..one with an os 46 and another with the saito .82..saito yet to have her first flight..My question is will a saito 180 pull my 150 as well as the 61 i have saw pull the .40?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
linkadrip

My Guess is, the 180 will not pull the 150 around as fast as a .61 engine on a twist 40. Since the saito 180 is a 4 stroke. But i dont know casue i dont have a saito 180 on my 150. i had a twist 40 withan os 61 FX and a tuned pipe and that plane scremed it was awsome. and now i'm going to put and OS 160 FX on my twist 150 so i can hopefully get the same performance out of it as well..

Guess there are several combonations of engines that can be put on the plane but if you looking to get that screamin performance i'm thinking a 2 stroke engine is the way to go to get more power with less weight.. I have tried 2 enignes on my 150 the 26CC SPE gas engine and now a GMS 120 witch has alot more power then the gasser and will pull the plane around alot better but has issues with staying tuned and running consitantly. So one more try and os 160 FX and if that doesnt work well then i guess i'm just going to sell it. this has been the most frustrating plane i own witch is sad since it not the planes fault its the power that has been put to the airframe. I'm hoping i will eventually get to enjoy this plane someday..
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

So do you guys think a Twist 150 on a YS1.40 Sport swinging an 18x4w prop with 4721 JR servo's all around do well?

I should have mine by Friday and hope to fly it Sunday.

FYI Inverted 2 strokes run well if properly tuned, I've been running them that way for 20+ years. If they didn't run well how could we fly inverted all day? Most of the guys I've seen that can't get them to run inverted can't get them to run upright either. True you do have to be carefull starting them and not flooding them. It's a learning curve.

CDI 2 stroke and 4 stroke Glow engines have been around for decades but not widely used. They are making a strong comeback very soon. YS is doing a 1.70 Cdi engine right now and has them in the field for testing. I suspect you'll see many CDI 2/4 strokes in the coming years. The upside of them is better idle, less shake and greatly reduced fuel consumption.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Ralph L.

Ok guys here my set up. I am using a O.S. 120 Surpass pump engine with four Futaba 3110 servos. Also I went with a smaller fuel tank because I dont need all that fuel so I am using a 12oz fuel tank and I am getting easy 15mins of flight time. The 120 Surpass is swinging a 16x4W apc and can hover at half throttle no problem. I think the 120 is a good match up for this plane for me any way and a 180 would be over kill. So far I have about a dozen flights on this bird and I am very impressed with this plane. One problem I have is that when I do a ground check with the plane I get some servo jitter and have change out the recevier the battery and the crystals and still have not come across what is causeing my troubles. But I fly it anyway and it has had no problems in the air so I dont no what to do so I could use some help on this if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
linkadrip

Do you carry a cell phone? Sometimes that can cause jittering. Does it jitter only at home when checking it or does it jitter no matter were your at.? i have a plane that jitters when you plug the glow stick onto the engine and after you take it off it stops come to find out the glow stick was corroded cleaned it and no more problem. Many things can cause jitters. TX antenne screwed into the TX tight a loose anttene on the radio can do that. antenne from the RX being to close to the servo leads and the magnetic field from the servo wires creating a inductive magnetic field in the RX antenne. Dont know how to spell antenne but i think you know what i mean.
Loose servo leads or connections can cause jitters. I had jitters in my 150 when i was running a gas engine on it and it was due to the spark plug cap not being pushed on all the way. I had jitters in my extra330L witch has a gas 45 CC engine on it and they were due to a faulty remote ignition kill switch.
But your running a regualr nitro burning engine so theres no EI ingition. Could be your close to high tention power lines when you checking it. if there is EMF fileds in the vicinity of the plane it can get jitters.

A friend got a New phone a PDA with GPS in it and it was near my plane and it blocked the signal to the plane were thinking not to sure. But i brought the plane home and checked it and there was no problem. his phone was on the tailgate of my truck and the plane was about 3 feet away at the field and lost singnal from the TX after walking only 20 feet away. Many things can cause jitters and the signal to get blocked. the plane i'm talking about that has this issues has a corona RX in it and has to scan for a frequency from the TX to lock but once it locked it not suppose to ever have to be set again. but were thinking it is cause it a cheapo RX. the futaba and hitec RX's i have in other planes dont have that problem but they are using Crystals.

Crystal in the RX could be loose causing jitters. When you say ground check is the plane running? Try a ground check with the engine off and walk 50 feet away with the TX ant collapsed are you gettting jitters? do all the flight controls function normal?. and if everyting works fine with the enigne off then start it do that same thing, do you get jitters? if so then the vibration of the engine is causing a connection somewere to vibrate and casue jitters in the servos.
I destroyed a pitts due to jitters. It worked fine several times. I checked it at home even taxied it around on my grass no problems. took it out to fly it and had jitters sitting on the back of my tail gate i though not good but i want to maiden it anyway. moved it away from the truck and checked it again no problem took off. flew in a pattern it was great i was full of happiness and accomplishment. Then the aileron servo lead was loose we think but not sure since after hitting the ground it was a mess but that was what the jitters were a loose lead were thinking. Well the plane aileron locked into a turn and i lost control of it and into the ground no more pitts.[&o]

I would definetly try and find out what is the jitter problem other wise you may loose the plane on one of these flights and be very dissapointed that you didnt fix it. Just my 2 cents

i love my 150 but the GMS engine i guess i'm just not experienced enough to get it to run right.runs great on the ground get it in the air and it cuts out and dies in a climb or dive or inverted. So it sits in it's craddle till i get rich enough to get the OS engine for it. or any engine that is reliable that will pull the plane. really i'm not that particular. I'm thinking i may go back and use my 26CC gas engine on it since i at least got to fly the plane with that engine on it even though performance was very lacking.

Hope you find that jitter i wont fly if a plane jitters or i cant keep a locked signal on it during a ground check of at least 50 feet i do that before every flight and make sure you batteries are charged. Gonna get real expensive to replace a plane it looks like better take care of the ones you have as best you can although ever plane has an expiration date they say. I lost one due to a crow and 2 others due to inadequate pre flight checks.. Needless to say when i was last out flying and the signal got lost on that plane during a ground check i put it back in my truck and said not today.

I'm sure inverted 2 strok have no problem running inverted. i have on in My UcanDO and it works fine its an OS .61 FX. But the GMS 120 in the Twist 150 well thats another story.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Ralph L.

Thanks for all the info. When I check it at home with engine off it seems to be good but when I check it at the field it goes crazy at 30 feet. But come to think of it when I am at the field I have my cell phone in my pocket. When I am doing these checks I never have the engine running. I put the antenna on the out side of the plane and ran it down the bottom and that seemed to help some. Also I have two 24" servo ext running from the back of the plane to the front. I heard that these can also cause problems so I will keep on looking for the problem. You gave a lot of good ideas that I have not even considered so I will try these to. Ralph
Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
bayward

My beloved Twist 150 has met its maker. [&o] From about 200' ~ 250' I put the plane in a straight down dive then backed off the throttle. At about 100' I gave it 3/4 throttle and up elevator to make it climb straight up. The engine went to 3/4 throttle and that was all. I had no more control. I even hit the throttle kill switch in an attempt to lessen the impact. No such luck, perfectly straight in on her spinner at 3/4 throttle.

The Saito 180 was buried in the dirt almost to the firewall and the prop did not even break ! The engine needle valve assembly got ripped off though. Even the tail feathers sustained some damage and they never even touched anything. The fuselage and wing, in a compacted fashion, were standing up as though the plane was trying to balance on its spinnner. Oh well, I stopped at the LHS on the way home and the Twist 150 is still on sale at Horizon so I ordered another one. I should have it by Friday the 1st.

I have no idea what happened. The receiver is a Spektrum AR7000. Battery a homemade five cell pack using Duracell 2650mah AA cells. The battery pack measured a little under 5.8 volts under a 2 amp load after the crash. Battery was still plugged in but the opposite end had been ripped out of the switch. I have not tested the switch yet but that may prove nothing anyway with the wires ripped out of it.

Dang, I do not know which it worse. Dumb thumbing one into the ground or helplessly and hopelessly watching one go into the ground on its own.

Bob
Old 07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
linkadrip

So sorry to here that.[] but sounds like you will be up and flying again soon. I know the feeling though i sent my 40 Twist to its grave chasing a crow. but after hitting the crow the plane had no more control and the wind was blowing and took it right into a high tention power pole BONG it rang out then the plane fell to its death. So i bought a U can Do still flying my 150 had 3 great flights on it today and one dead stick. But i'm pretty careful flying it but anythign can go wrong at anytime. so far i have lost 3 planes this year to simular circumstances except for the crow the others were mechanical malfunctions. That butterfly feeling sucks when there going down and there is nothing you can do but watch. argg.

New TWist 150 get a new switch and battery i'm flying 72 Megahertz radio so can say replace the crystal your using a spektrum kinda sounds like it had a reset that i heard about were they loos signal for 2 or 3 seconds before rebooting. Dont know how true that is. i havbe a spektrum DX6 i use for all my park flyers and havent had that problem with it. Sounds like a mystery as i have a few planes that have mysteries behind ther crashes as well. Was it the aielron jamed or did it loose signal well i had no control and it spiraled into the ground poor pitts..[]

Sounds like you lost radio contact completely check your radio equipment real good i lost my pitts the same way.

But i would have to say dumb thumbing it into the ground is way better then complete lose of control that is the worst IMO.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the nature of the maneuver just before you lost it my guess is your cheap switch did you in. Been there, done that, but not is a very long while. The most important assembly item to me is the switch. I now, as a rule, only use heavy duty dual-pole switches. My favorite switch is the MPI.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 AM
ahallock
My Feedback: (5)

I have a twist 150 with the evolution 26 running with a carbon fiber tune pipe. a three blade prop 16-7 to clear the ground. Flys just like the smaller ones. I am going to use it as a trainer for my grandsons.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Ralph L.

Dido I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I was coming in for a landing all looked good and then I seen the ailerons come up and I had no control over them and it went nose first in to the dirt. It was a total lost my O.S. 120 surpass was in the dirt hard just need to replace the high speed nedle screw and the engine is good to go. But the plane is destroyed like you said the tail feathers did not even hit anything and they were damaged this sucks.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
bayward

ORIGINAL: Ralph L.
this sucks.
I agree, big time. Too bad we are not closer together. This sounds like an excellent time to practice the old adage "Misery loves company". We need a cool dark bar to drown our sorrows.

What radio gear were you running in yours ?

hilleyja, the switch, battery connector and receiver are the three things that I believe could of shot my plane out of the sky. After the fact, the battery tested good with a sustained 2 amp load so I wrote this off. The battery connector was still connected, but the other end of the wires had been ripped out of the switch, so I wrote off the battery disconnecting.

Why do you think I was using a cheap switch ? I dissected the switch this afternoon and found nothing conclusive. The contacts were plated and shiny. The springs pushing the contacts were solid and in place doing their job. Although I do not know what brand switch it is, it appeared to be a good quality double pole switch and most likely was an MPI from the LHS. Contact bounce from that big Saito 180 vibrating as it went from idle to 3/4 throttle causing the JR receiver to momentarily lose power and take four or five seconds to reboot ? A possibility that I will never know the answer to.

The receiver randomly doing a reboot ? The receiver is one of the earlier ones with the longer reboot time than the receivers with the newer firmware. A distant possibility, but a possibility none the less. I can assure you the reciever will be packed up and sent to Horizon for a complete check up and a firmware update before it is used again.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Ralph L.

I was running A Futaba Computer Radio and Futaba 3110 servos. With heavy duty servo extions and a 4.8v 2200mah battery. Also powered by an O.S. 120 Surpass with pump. I am pretty said right now I really liked that plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.