Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP 1.20 Size Extra 330S ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP 1.20 Size Extra 330S ARF

Old 03-26-2003, 03:07 AM
Richardfast
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP 1.20 Size Extra 330S ARF

I ordered this plane from KMP on Monday a week ago, they shipped on Wednesday, and I received the plane yesterday. Seven days from order to receipt is great. I paid $250 for the plane and $28 for shipping (UPS from Thunder Bay Ontario Canada). This plane has a 67" wingspan and is advertised at 10 lbs.

A thorough inspection revealed quality workmanship throughout; including adequate glue and beautiful iron on covering. The four-color scheme is very striking (white, red, yellow, Navy blue). The most attractive part of this ARF is the perfectly molded and colored fiberglass cowling and wheel pants. I mean a perfect fit and a perfect finish. The landing gear is 5/32" aluminum and is nicely painted red. Quality, light, 3-1/4" wheels are included. All holes are pre-drilled. I like to use 1/4" nylon bolts for hanging my gear so I removed the supplied metric blind nuts. I drilled out the holes in the fuselage and gear to 1/4" and glued in 1/8" lite ply pads for the 1/4" nylon nuts to rest on. I try to use this setup on all my planes. It will save your fuselage in a hard landing and the nylon bolts can be replaced at the field. All control surface hinges are preinstalled and ready for CA.

The instruction manual is bare bones minimum. You have to have had some ARF experience to understand what to do. I have built several ARF's before so I am not having a problem ----- except in one area. There are no markings on the wing or fuselage for the wing hold down dowels and holes, and no instructions in the manual for how to install them. Also the blind nuts for the rear wing bolts are installed in the fuselage but no marks are on the wing for drilling the required holes. What makes this a problem is that there is no access from the top of the fuselage. The only access is where the wing goes. Bottom line is I will have to measure very carefully before I drill. I will post how this works out. I notified Andrew Kondor (owner of KMP) by e-mail of this problem and he immediately (within hours) responded back that this will be corrected on the next production run.

My goal is to have this plane ready to fly by Saturday. So far so good.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Richardfast

I successfully installed the wing on my KMP Extra 330S using the following simple procedure:

First install sharp tipped, 1/8" dowels by press fitting them into the wing and protruding from the wing about 1/8" (you have to be able to pull them back out with pliers). Place the wing into the fuselage wing saddle, get it aligned where you want it, and then push forward hard enough to make a small indentation in the covering material on the forward end of the wing saddle. Using these marks, drill a 1/8" hole in the fuselage and test fit that the dowels line up properly. Mine did the first time, but if they don't, carefully move the hole center until alignment is correct. These 1/8" holes (or slightly larger if you had to make a correction) are then used as guide holes for installing the final dowel pins and drilling the fuselage holes.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Richardfast

Finished the KMP Extra 330S except for final servo and radio positioning. Heres the weight and CG numbers:

With OS 65 LA, weight comes out at 8 +.4/-0 lbs. CG is right on (5 3/8" back from leading edge with servos up forward). My digital bathroom scale jumps up at .5 lb increments.

After learning to fly this plane with the 65 LA I am going to install my OS 1.20 Surpass II w/pump. That will put the weight up between 9 and 9 1/2 lbs and will require putting the elevator and rudder servo back at the tail.

Don't scoff at the 65 LA. It is extremely reliable and will pull stumps with a 13/6 prop. I trust it, I don't trust the 120 FS.

The KMP Extra 330S has provisions for servos in either position.

This plane will be my Sportsman pattern plane for the summer (a beginner in pattern).

A minor problem was sloppy hinge slots cut by the factory (not straight and off center). I have passed this on to Andrew Kondar at KMP.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Shovel-Head
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like its turning out to be a very nice plane! Are you using standard servos on it? Also if you can you post some pics of the plane so I can see about what size it is. Seems to be a hair under 1/4th scale? I may look into getting one, price seems about right!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Richardfast

I am using standard servos (JR 537's), one on each aileron, one on the elevator (elevator halves tied together with steel rod) and one on the rudder. I am not into 3D, so I believe standards will be ok for this size plane and the power I am going to use. I promise to get some pictures out after it flys. I can assure you it is the biggest, nicest looking plane I have ever owned, and I bet it flies as well as it looks. I currently fly a Sig Somethin Extra, which is a very high quality ARF and flys beautifully. It is the most popular plane at our field. The guys who have built the kit say it goes together really well.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Richardfast

I had hoped to make my first flight of the KMP Extra 330S this weekend, but the weather has not cooperated. I did have a chance to show the plane to some of my flying buddies, and boy did I get a lot of comments on the great looks and quality of the plane. I have made a lot of measurements to ensure nothing is twisted or bent and I have found nothing wrong. Now... lets hope she flies as good as she looks! I have pictures but I don't want to post them until after a successful flight.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Shovel-Head
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds Good!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:55 AM
AKondor

Keep us posted on the final results. There is lots of positive feedback from others who have successfully flown this plane with a variety of power plants.

If there is anything we can do for you call us toll free.

888-968-7251

Andrew Kondor
Kondor Model Products
Old 05-04-2003, 02:57 AM
AKondor

Keep us posted on the final results. There is lots of positive feedback from others who have successfully flown this plane with a variety of power plants.

If there is anything we can do for you call us toll free.

888-968-7251

Andrew Kondor
Kondor Model Products
Old 05-06-2003, 01:36 AM
Richardfast

I now have about 30 flights on my KMP Extra 330S ARF. I would have more but we are just getting terrible weather in general here in SE Michigan. When the weather is good it seems like I have other committments.
I do not have a single complaint about the airplane! I get many positive comments at the flying field about both looks and flying qualities. Remember, I do not have much aerobatic experience and I am taking it slow. The worst thing that has happened so far is a drop-in from about two feet (too slow). Nothing was hurt. Notice I didn't use the ugly phrase "tip stall". Isn't going to happen with this plane. Stalls are straight ahead. On low rates, I cannot get the model to spin, but it will do a barrel roll like snap. On high rates it spins and snaps great.
This plane is my Sportsman pattern plane, so I am mainly doing very basic stuff trying to learn to fly a straight line at a constant distance parallel to the flight line; a very hard, for me, thing to do.
Trim is pretty good, but I I have a ways to go to get it perfect for pattern. The plane is not very responsive to rudder when trying to correct for cross wind. The plane does not weathervane, it just gets shoved sideways. This is not unexpected in a scale aerobatic plane. I guess this is why pattern plane fuselages are so long (to give a large yaw moment for subtle cross wind corr- ection).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76156_22272.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	40207