Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
toreo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

I wait so long, but yesterday i get my TF B25. This is first TF b25 in Russia.
No external damage, every parts is ok, except nose gun conopy. This have break 15ΠΌΠΌ long.

I was surprised, that my 2 OS-70FL is not be mount in B25. Stock engine mount is to short. If you planning use this engine, be ready to buy 2 long engine mount. Additionlaly, stock spinner screw is to big for OS-70FL. Anyone know spinner compatible with OS-70FL and loook like B25 spinner?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dthomp8007

Hey Tim,

Just a heads up Tower says that they shipped my gear today so I hope they also shipped yours as well. On another note Im so pissed my replacement B-25 showed up today so that I could swap out the damaged body and inboard wing panel well some ***** at UPS stood on my box sometime during shipping you can see their size 12 boot print in the box well it damaged both inboard wing panels so now I cant have this replacement B-25 because TF has to file a claim with UPS. They are shipping another B-25 kit to me should be here end of next week. :-(

Note to another member someone on here needed the nose piece they broke it or something well I have an extra if your tired of waiting.

Devin
Man, what a disappointment and sorry for all the hassles. But it sounds like Tower is taking care of it by sending you out another one! I hope it gets there soon and in good condition so you can finally get started!

Keep us updated and let us know when you can finally get building.

Tim
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Heat1960

Toreo. Congrats on being the first in Russia to acquire the TF B25. I as well have the OS FL70 engines. You can mount the engines at 4 7/8" from the firewall instead of the 5" it instructs in the manual. The 1/8" differance allows the FL 70's to fit on the supplied engine mounts from Top Flite without a problem. I have already mounted both my FL70's on the supplied mounts 1/8" back and they fit no problem. If you read back in this thread you will see it shouldn't be a problem to move the engine back a bit to make it fit on the mounts.

Also the crankshaft thread size for the OS FL70's is differant from the OS 70 Surpass II's and the supplied prop hubs will not fit the FL70's. The thread size for the FL70's is 1/4 x 28. You can order 2 Harry Higley Ninety hubs Part #NIGNIN014. These are the same outer dimensions as the ones that came with the plane but the thread size is smaller and will fit your engines. These hubs are aluminum and come that colour. Just sand them up a little and paint them the same yellow colour.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: Bill Giulian

OK guys, let's get your opinions on this. Would it be better to use 3 lines to the fuel tank or just use 2 lines with a T connector. What's your thoughts. Bill.
Hi Bill.

Here's my two cents on the fueling system;

I prefer not to use in-line fuelers. Sometimes the valve sticks or they just quit working for some other reason altogether. Or they just plain leak. A fueling valve is just one more thing to go wrong. With a T-connector, sometimes, in addition to fuel pumping into your tank, some fuel will flow the other way into your carb flooding out the engine or dripping fuel into your cowl.

With a 3-line setup, the fueling system/line is totally separate from the fuel line that goes to your carb, so there's no chance of anything interfering with the fuel delivery system to your engine.

Most people use "fuel dots" for a 3-line system, but the method shown in the B-25 manual (with the brass tube through the balsa block in the cowl) works great and is perfect if you don't have or don't know where to get "fuel dots."

If you do go 3-line, use a clunk on the fueling/de fueling line so you can pump out excess fuel no matter the orientation of your model (upright or inverted in your building/transport stand).

Tim
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
mtaboram

Normand:

Thanks for your information. Could you give me the part number of robart for the brakes? do you buy all the kit or just the wheels? IΒ΄m sorry for my specific questions, but I live in Honduras Central America, and I have to choose the exactly parts if not IΒ΄m in trouble to return? Do you need some other specials accesories for install the breakes?.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Bill Giulian
My Feedback: (38)

Tim. Thanks for your reply and advice. I totally agree with your approach. Some guys in my club do not use the in-line-fuelers because they have had trouble with them. I tried the three line with a fuel dot on one of my other planes so as per your advice I with use that mathod. Thanks again. Bill.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Bill Giulian
My Feedback: (38)

Toreo. You may be talking about the same problem I experienced when I went to mount my
OS 81 FS-a on these mounts. My solution was to grind down the rear of the mount which is there to provide a hole for
the wire for tricycle landing gear. If you grind this protrusion down the engine can be moved back further on the engine mount.
Bill Giulian.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
envallm

cherrera26, et al,

Can someone please elaborate on the "bad" reviews out about the Ultimate 70 that replaced the OS 70 Surpass II. I've seen some praise of this engine earlier in this forum, corroborated by kproton if I remember correctly. I'd like to know if the concensus is that the Ultimate 70's are not worth the cost or are poor performing in general. I have 2 of them, unopened. Thanks for the clarification
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 PM
lowell
My Feedback: (16)

Has anyone built this aircraft utilizing the RCV 90 SP engine ?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
norm

Hello Mtaboram,

About the brakes, the wheels are Robart 10 spoke aluminium wheels and you order 2 of them, they cost 61.10 us$ each and the part # is 13840A2 x 2. The proportional air valve and disc brakes comes as a kit and the kit# is 140SET, and it retails for 244.35 us$. You should call Doug Scatterday at robart directly (630 ) 584 7616 as this is your best bet for specialized items such as this. He will take care of you.

For the noze wheel you will have to paint the hub of your 2.75 inch wheel silver to match the aluminium wheels. I put the brakes to test risking the 22 lbs B-25 on a do or die roll to the wall and it stopped well on time.

Guys please about the easy fueler from great plane, I have 27 of them installed on my planes for fueling all my engines and never experienced a failure. It is much easier to use to fuel your planes. Whoever use this item must be familiar with the system and learn it before using. It can fail if you do not visually inspect the nipple to retract out and test touch it by pressing on it with your fingers to make certain it operates properly. It will never fail in flight unless you performed a visual check after fueling and the nipple did not retract. In any case a malfunction of the fueler will cause a failure on the ground before take off or will not start. This type of failure in less likely to happen than you forgetting to fuel your plane. One should concentrate on proper functioning of control surface and fueling properly and enjoy flying your plane and minimize ground handling and not worry about this item.

In a way the KISS system is sometimes best but I remember when cars did not have electric windows, climate control air conditioning, ABS brakes, traction control on board tv, xm radio, gps...yeah a lot of gizmos but makes the ride so much more enjoyable.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 AM
camdyson

Ditto the fuellers - never had a problem and make life much simpler.

BUT......just blew several hours trying to nut out a good way to mount them. The nacelle cover and cowl are both out as I want to remove these when required without disconnecting fuellers (and running in without cowls so they're definitely out). Finally mounted on an aluminium bracket using the existing cowl tab bolts, and access from the rear through louvres - no more holes in cowl.

Oh wait, that's one done.....[&o]

Cam
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 AM
norm

Morganew,

Never heard of a negative about those engines. They are pumpers and very well suited for the plane. They are also more powerful then the OS70 surpass, lighter and smaller. I beleive that it is misleading and misinformation when one say it is not good. before saying the OS70 ultimate is bad should support his saying by giving the supposed information . To my knowledge there is nothing but a good engine and supported by a reputable manufacturer.

the Os ultimate develops 1.2hp vs the surpass 1.1, so the Ultimate= more power.
The os 70 ultimate is smaller and lighter then the surpass = this is what you whant
Reputable Manufacturer= this is what you whant
The Os 70 Ultimate sounds better Straighit pipe then the others= this is what you whant

Answer = better choice

You have excellent engines and probably the best choice engine for this plane. I used Saito 82's and for the only reason they have more Power. the down side is no Pumps. Had I known about the Ultimate would fly this plane, I would have gone for them. You must run them without the mufflers and cut flush your exhaust pipe to the cowl with your Ultimate. You will have the best sound at the field.

Post pictures ans enjoy your engines or sell them to me!

Normand
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
mtaboram

Hi Normand:

Again many thanks for your support. I will contact Doug Scatterday to make my order properly.I really appreciate if you could post some pictures of the brakes air tank installation.

Best regards

Marlon
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
sevans16

as far as the 70 Ultimate goes: (I have never had one), when they were released there were many problems, they were taken off the market for over a year. They were rereleased, all the same numbers so there is no way to the difference between them. Not too many people taking chances on the new release version. They also have a slide valve carb. They are said to be more sensitive to linkage movement, harder to set up a twin engine. They are said to require more effort to get tuned in the first time. I was worried about having apumped motor since this will not be a regular flier for me. So I went with the KISS thought.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

I called TF yesterday and told them about not getting the bomb decals. They said they would sending them to me asap no charge. Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 AM
vercorsman2

Hi All
I'm fab from the french alps, just received my B-25 a couple days ago, i would say that i'm really impressed of the top quality of this kit. Thank you so very much for sharing information & tips that i'll use for building the kit for sure. All of you guys really did a wonderfull job super detailing this Baby, this is Art!
I hope the kit will be ready for June (as i'm hosting a 8thAF veteran at home every year fo ceremonies here in the Alps).
Krproton what is TF next project? if there's any B-17 let me know that would be great
Best Regards
Fab
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
sevans16

krproton- how did the install go with the FS-81@? I got my second engine in hand and retracts should be in the mail(had them on backorder at LHS). Did you use the FS70 drill template? What exhaust header did you use for best fit? I hope to get started on this build soon.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: vercorsman2
Krproton what is TF next project? if there's any B-17 let me know that would be great
Best Regards
Fab
Hi Fab!

Welcome to the B-25 thread and I hope everything goes well with yours!

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm allowed to reveal what will be the next Top Flite release--well, I could tell you, but then my company would have to kill me! [X(] There are a few .60-size and giant-scale warbirds in process, but they aren't ready yet. Personally, I would LOVE to work on a B-17 as you suggested, but these decisions are made by the managers--I just build!

Stay in touch and thanks!

Tim

Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: sevans16

krproton- how did the install go with the FS-81@? I got my second engine in hand and retracts should be in the mail(had them on backorder at LHS). Did you use the FS70 drill template? What exhaust header did you use for best fit? I hope to get started on this build soon.
Hi Sevans.

Sorry, I don't have any more info about mounting the FS-81 yet because I haven't gotten my new B-25 yet. As you know (and for the benefit of others reading this post), I already mounted my .81s to the included GP motor mounts, but I haven't mounted the mounts to the firewall yet. And I was thinking about using the header pipe that comes with the .70 Surpass because I think it tucks the muffler in even more (than the straight header that comes with the .81). Maybe what I'll do is "borrow" a leftover final sample B-25 I have here at my desk and just fit up the engine to the firewall and nacelle. Then, maybe I can show you how I would mount it and which header I will be using.

I don't know about the FS70 drill template you are speaking of. The way I do it is temporarily clamp the engine to the mounts, then use the Great Planes Dead-Center Engine Mount Hole Locator (GPMR8130)--sorry for an advertisement, but that's what I use to mark the engine mounting bolt holes on the mount.

I hope you weren't waiting for me to mount your engines.

Anyway, I'll see if I can fit the engine up and show you what I figure out.

Thanks.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88725.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	879123  
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
norm

ORIGINAL: krproton

Best Regards
Fab
Hi Fab!

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm allowed to reveal what will be the next Top Flite release--well, I could tell you, but then my company would have to kill me! [X(] There are a few .60-size and giant-scale warbirds in process, but they aren't ready yet. Personally, I would LOVE to work on a B-17 as you suggested, but these decisions are made by the managers--I just build!

Tim

About revealing what is coming up...

Tim we all appreciate you and will remember you dearly, now let ua know what is coming up, precision please.

Normand
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: normandouellette

ORIGINAL: krproton

Best Regards
Fab
Hi Fab!

Tim

About revealing what is coming up...

Tim we all appreciate you and will remember you dearly, now let ua know what is coming up, precision please.

Normand
LOL!!!

Nice try Normand! [sm=47_47.gif]
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
sevans16

krproton, I was talking about the templateto drill the firewall that is in the manual. I have not opened the box yet, I have been waiting on engines and detracts. I should be getting close to starting my build. I just hate starting a project and waiting weeks to order all the little stuff. I like to follow build threads and get everything together before starting a project.

The dead center tool was one of my best tool purchases. Works wonders for drilling mounts!!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
jiannliang
My Feedback: (17)

For those who concerning about the OS 81 FS-A installation, take a look at my setting. Just use the template of OS FS70 in the manual and you will be fine. I change the exhaust header to the curve one that come with the FS70II and it will fit in the cutout like a glove. And the power of OS FS81 is so much more compare to FS70 surpass II, I use MA 13x6 3-blades at 9800 rpm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70008.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	879417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57385.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	879418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46820.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	879419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92026.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	879420  
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
krproton

jiannliang,

you're making me look bad! [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I'm supposed to be the authority on the Top Flite B-25, but you beat me to it.

Seriously though, thanks for the input and the photos. That's good to know. I'll still post photos of my installation when I get to it.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 PM
sevans16

man I was hoping not to butcher up the cowl that much. Well, I guess I am off to order some exhaust parts. This will save me another week of waiting on a parts order. Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.