Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
grahamaberdeen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

thanks for the welcome tim......according to my model shop ripmax the uk importer is out of stock b25 can be special order but 8 weeks delivery ,,,,mmmmm,,,,wonder if i could order from u.s.a ?...really disapointed etc still at least i dont have to find a xmas tree big enough for the box to fit under!

if you know anyone with one in stock perhaps you could let me know please and ill contact them

cheers dude

graham
Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM
BT Bones
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the responses, as I will follow the build with the suggestions. Thanks again.

Bobbie
Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

ORIGINAL: kochj

Finally,

Someone did it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBOmR...eature=related
That has to be the best sounding B-25 I have EVER heard, after hearing that all the rest I have heard, sound like garbage..

Airnondas.
I had heard a p-61? (isn't that the black widow) with a pair of radials and tried like mad, to find the video I stumbled apon as it was under a name like "joe's flyin 2006 "
Anyway, this was really cool to see and hear!
I always wondered if the 90 radial would fit and fly well, and this plane really answered both q's!!!
WAY COOL~
Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: grahamaberdeen

thanks for the welcome tim......according to my model shop ripmax the uk importer is out of stock b25 can be special order but 8 weeks delivery ,,,,mmmmm,,,,wonder if i could order from u.s.a ?...really disapointed etc still at least i dont have to find a xmas tree big enough for the box to fit under!

if you know anyone with one in stock perhaps you could let me know please and ill contact them

cheers dude

graham
Hi Graham.

Sorry for your trouble getting a B-25 over there. As I work in the R&D department I have no contact with any hobby dealers. If you are inquiring about purchasing a B-25 from the USA, I would inquire with Tower Hobbies. I'm sorry, but that's the only thing I can think of for now. Let me know if you don't have any luck with Tower and maybe I can inquire.

Tim
Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
k4nkc

Hey Guys, Check out ebay item 190270684574.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
BT Bones

Need a suggestion on what 3-blade props to use, as my buddy is running a Saito FA 72 and I will be using Saito FA82.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 AM
jdhughen

I believe most are using Master Airscrew 12x8. That's what I'm using with saito 72's and I believe Norman is using the same with 82's.... Norman ??

Joel
Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 AM
norm

Yes the 12 x 8 is proper with the 82's and you should get approximately 9600 rpm. the 12 x 6 woul provide a better performance with the 72's and + / - 9000 rpm. The 12 x 8 might load the 72 a bit too much. How much rpm are you getting with the 72 with 12 x 8?

Normand
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
jdhughen

Norman,

On the bench, I'm getting around 9300 with mas 12/8, wildcat 20/18, and F plugs, idle after 40min breakin around 1850 with Mc Daniel glow driver. No flight time yet, got about 1 hour bench on ea engine. pur like kittens. My build finnish has been on hold while I make some money to pay for this hobby. I still need a few more uninterupted days to wrap it up. hope to maiden over the holidays (weather permitting )

Joel
Old 12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
norm

Lucky guy here everything is frozen and weekly snow falls are hapening. I'm surprized about the rpm your are getting with a Saito 72 at 9200. The 82 is giving me 9800 rpm and ith is supposed to develop 1.5 hp vs 1.1 for the 72...again this engine is sold by Saito in the same mold as the 72 and since "marketting is the best thing" they announce 1.5 hp for the 82. Good luck with your Maiden.

Normand
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
rnordeck

Norman et al,

Roger that on da cold weather....same here in Wyoming. Well, made it to p. 24-1/2 on my build at ~200 Hours and have run into my 1st serious problem: The B-25 has out grown me workbench!! and it's 18 Deg in garage.

Lt. jg I. B. Narley

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15131.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1083278  
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Termites Dream
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Everyone,

well I just finished reading nearly 2000 posts on this thread and took lots of notes on the things important to my build. I am about 10 hours into it and will take my time finishing it over the winter. Thanks to Tim, Normand and all the others for their wisdom and for tips that will save me a ton of time and trouble. Great job on the B-25, Tim and Hobbico, I cant wait to get it into the air. Greetings to Cam, even if he is from Bairnsdale (Im an expat Aussie myself, not sure how I ended up in indiana).

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Timothy Thompson, he was such a great builder and did a beautiful job on his model. I hope his family is coping.

David
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
krproton

Hi David.

Nice to meet you!

Thanks for the post and the kind words.

Keep us updated, let us know if you have any questions and post some photos if you can too!

Tim
Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 AM
camdyson

G'Day David,

Thank your Yankee mates for screwing up the global economy while you're at it - luckily bought all my stuff while our dollar was still worth something...

My test flight was postponed after I decided my reliable idle was too fast to easily slow this thing down on landing (no brakes, short field) so I decided to install onboard glow after all. Easier said than done, getting wiring up to the motors with all the nacelles etc. in place, but all in now. Then I lost a rocker cover screw off my OS 70 FS and discovered they use M2.6 screws - well they don't exactly grow on trees you know...[:@]

So tonight she's all back together awaiting re-tuning the engines, then will hopefully get in the air. (oh, I did manage to build 4 other planes in the meantime, and repair the subject of my avatar )

Spent a happy 30 minutes or so tonight just playing with all the B25's switches on the tranny: gear up, bomb bay open, flaps up, wiggle to check gyro, gear down, watch glow indicator light, flaps down, rates off, bomb bay closed, gear up, flaps half up, (stopped it before I went blind though!) Cool plane just standing still.

Cheers all,

Cam

Name:	Ge95840.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1083662  
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Termites Dream

OS FL-70 ENGINE INSTALL

As others have described, the FL-70 cannot be installed with the front of the drive washer at 5 inches from the firewall, since the supplied mounts are too short. Thats OK, since some have described that 5 inches leaves a gap behind the prop or between the cowl and nacelles. I mounted mine between 4 3/4 and 4 7/8 inches, will post later as to how the cowl looks when I get to it. Also, the FL-70 does not have a reversible carb so you need to do a few bends in the pushrods to get it to work.

Cam, let us know how the maiden goes! Hope you are enjoying the summer, its below freezing here now.[&:]

I have most of what I need for the build and am installing the sonic tronics on board glow but have not decided whether to put a gyro on it.

David

Name:	Us55198.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1084053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18558.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1084054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76088.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1084055  
Old 12-05-2008, 07:06 AM
krproton

Nice progress David.

I think I posted on this subject before, but I think you can grind off the top nose gear wire "bearing" molded into one of the engine mount halves to allow your engine to move about another 1/8" back (though it looks like you already have your engines mounted).

Tim
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Termites Dream

Hi Tim,

I had a thought that may be helpful with future models. Some of us (especially people outside the US) may not immediately be able to tell the difference between a #2 screw and a #4 screw, etc. There are a lot of hardware pieces in the bag in a model of this size. The self-assembly furniture guys usually have a guide as to how many of each hardware piece are in the packet and life-size drawings of the pieces that potentially could be confused. Also, the more separation of parts into separate bags, the better (I know you have done a lot of that with this model) if that is cost-effective.

I dont think I have made any mistakes with hardware so far, putting the wrong size screw or bolt in a hole, I will have to see what I have left over at the end of the project!

Thanks,
David
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
norm

Hello David,

The hardware supplied in my case exceeded... Same thing happens to me when I take apart an engine always have parts left...(LOL). I suggest you use blind nuts and bolts that are easy to obtain localy for engine mount bolts. The 4-40 supplied is weak in my opinion and you should go with at least 6-32. Also there is an excellent supplier suggested by Tim (Krproton) at http://www.microfasteners.com I was quick to obtain supplies from them and they are fast (they deliver).

All of the hardware supplied in this kit is a good quality, the wing bolts are short but you can obtail 3 inch nylon at micro fasteners or the local hardware store in the toilet section you can get 3 inch nylon sctews.

Hey I hope this assembly goes well for you, mine took almost 1 month at 50+ hours / week all evenings and week ends back in oct/nov last year, honeymooning with the B-25. Now I'm into builsing an avro Lancaster with 4 OS91 surpass! I like glow engine sound.

Good luck and I will monitor your efforts and offer suggestions anytime.

Normand

Name:	Ca80850.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1084184  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
jdhughen

Norman,

"avro Lancaster with 4 OS91 surpass"

wow... is this your next multi engine project ? Is it a kit or a scratch build ?

Joel
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
norm

3/4 scratch and 1/4 kit ( plastics and some parts of the plans

Normand
Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
rnordeck

My build tips so far:

1) Do grind off the not used molded nose gear wire "bearings" on the engine mounts to move either the FL or FS 70's aft as much as possible to get 4-3/4" - 4-7/8" distance from back prop to firewall. This allows better cowl to nacelle cover overlap spacing and better prop to front of cowl / dummy engine spacing.

2) Get a 1/2 pint (8 0z.) can Krylon Gray Primer / Sealer to paint exposed wood at wing roots, hinge recess cutouts, servo bays, visible nacelle parts inside retract wheel wells, back cowl ring & tabs, etc. Good color match to the Dove Gray and nice finishing touch. I used Tamiya Olive Drab (XF-62) for touch-up; even though it's a little darker than the Monokote.

3) The nacelle covers have to be removed and re-installed so many times that even with extreme care I ended up with multiple forward screw holes in the wings!#*! I found 4-40 wood inserts at the local hardware store and installed / CA'd three in each wing at the correct locations. Also I now have a 1/4" piece of fuel tubing CA'd to each 4-40 socket screw head to grip the ball wrench /driver. Has saved much aggravation in removing & re-installing the nacelle covers 'bout 20 times.

4) To remove the inevitable dings in the balsa under the Monokote use a small syringe to inject a tiny drop of water thru to Monokote & into the balsa ding; apply covering iron and like magic almost any ding or dent disappears.

Tim, I second the motion that Top Flight has really set the bar higher with this one and that this is the greatest & best executed ARF I have built!! .....

Still building.

BadBob
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Termites Dream

Thanks Normand,

I was a bit surprised at the small size of some of the hardware - I appreciate the tips. I figure it will take me most of the winter to get it done. Your advice over the course of this thread has been a huge help, by the way. I got the McDaniel on board glow on your rec; I will check out gyros when I get closer to finishing.

The Lanc looks way cool. What is the wingspan? I would love to model that at some time in the future (though I dont think i have the build skills unless someone puts out an ARF). Is an engine failure in a 4 less serious than in a twin?

David
Old 12-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Mirco

Hi

I started to build up my TF B-25 a few weeks ago. It´s a really nice plane besides the MONOKOTE.
I am going to use Saito FA 82 without mufflers and VP-30 pumps as Normand did. There still a lot of work to do until the B-25 gets airborn.

regards from Germany

Mirco

Name:	Ki20694.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1084648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74511.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1084649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53022.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1084650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76171.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1084651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15744.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1084652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28132.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1084653  
Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 AM
norm

Mirco,

This thing looks well engineered! Make certain that you "Paint" the firewall and all exposed wood (Nacelle and Firewall) with epoxy because your plane will get sprayed with oil. The "T's" you are using are nice where did you get them?

David,

About the lancaster it will be 11 feet wingspan and yes an engine failure is always a bad thing with an RC aircraft. The gyro does help you avoid the sriral dive the plane enters when you lose an engine and reacts well before you when this unfortunately happens... mostly at critical times on take off or and overshoot.

Normand
Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
krproton

Looks really nice Mirco.

Looks like another bedroom converted to a "shop." I like the carpet! (My "work shop" is a converted bedroom toonot enough space!).

That's a lot of tubing around your engine there! But I know many have had great success with those pumped Saitos.

Well, nice build and keep the photos coming!

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.