Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

J-3 Cub 25 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

J-3 Cub 25 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-3 Cub 25 ARF

I have been looking at a few J-3 Cubs 25 ARFs and wonder if the Global J-3 Cub 25 ARF is any good i have not seen any builds or read anything about it anywere has anyone read about this plane or build one before
Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: J-3 Cub 25 ARF

I am thinking on getting one as well. I have 40 size cubs now. but was kicking around the idea of getting it and putting
a OS 30 F/S into it. and maybe changing the wheels out. I think it will be a sweet little plane to mess around with!
Jeff
Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I had one of these Cubs with an OS .30FS. It was a sweet flying aircraft and surprisingly fast. Take it easy taking off as it is short-coupled. I had an inverted engine installation and it was no problem except for getting the glow igniter off the motor. You needed an extra hand or a helper. Another guy in the club has one and he is also very satisfied. I sold mine as I have gone all electric. Wouldn't take much to convert it, though.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Cougar-RCU

Thanks for the update on your experience with the cub.. makes me want to order it sooner
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend had a Global Cub 25 and he put a Magnum 52 four stroke on it. It was a bear to handle on take off. He lengthened the fuselage and it was fine. He had too much engine on it.

I have one that I acquired in a horse trade. I am not presently using it. I notice it is pretty well committed to have the engine inverted.

From a scale point of view, the plane looks about as much like a J-3 Cub as my Yellow Ranger truck. It might have been better to call it a Piper Vagabond? I suppose it being cub yellow in color and having decals all over it saying, "J-3 Cub" makes it one. Mine came with a magnum 30 four stroke
Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
w8ye

I might add that the Global Cub 25 is a cute little bugger.

It has wooden beam mounts that extend through F1 and F2.

The cowl is fiberglass
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
forestroke

Another you might consider is the World Models Cub. 26. I run mine with an OS. FS-30 on 15%. It takes a little while to get off the ground but once in the air it can put put around at half throttle and do some nice hammer heads, loops (not too large) and scale aerobatics. It's not enough power to prop hang but that's not why you get a cub. WM Cub with Dubro painted scale wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22836.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	837902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90351.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	837903  
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
layback2

Yes i think i will order one soon too sounds like just what i need for sure i have a great K&B 20 sportster will fit just nice thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 AM
w8ye

The two planes are a little different in size and the motor mount is different. But after having the Global and studying the World Models, I think I would opt for the slightly larger World Models version so I could mount the engine on its side. Due to the wooden beam mounts in the Global version, the engine must be inverted unless you were to make major changes to the front of the plane.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Cougar-RCU

So you guys are saying that the engine can ONLY be put in inverted? (on the global)?
how much larger is the World?
Jim can you post a picture of your global?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 PM
w8ye

I don't have any pictures of the Global cub but here is the manual in PDF format for the World Models Cub 26. The two planes look very much alike except the Global has maple beam engine mounts and the World Models has plastic mount. In fact they are so much alike I would venture to say that they were actually made by the same company.
http://theworldmodels.com/para/instr.../pdf/A002S.pdf
Old 12-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Cougar-RCU

Thanks My friend.. It was truly a pleasure chatting with you today!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 AM
forestroke

i have seen the global cub and honestly was not impressed with it. while they may look similar in pictures, the global seems more lightly made. the WM is very solid. now that's not exactly a good or bad thing. but the global doesn't look quality. furthermore the gear on the WM is scale like while the global is not at all.

all told, the global is probably an easier build but the WM is well worth the effort.

i guess there's one observation i've made about people the buy the global and those that buy the WM: the guys that fly the global never put on the struts, the guys that fly the WM never fly without them!

happy new years!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
AtomHeartMother

I have the global cub...it is stand way off scale but that's ok. I fly mine with an OS .25 and a 10x4 prop. Stick with recommended throws on the elevator. Take off on low rates and you can fly and land on high rates. It will get snappy on take off if you try to horse it into the air. I fly mine with struts !! It's a surprisingly slippery little bird and the struts add nice drag for some seriously short landings. I cart wheeled mine once and with the damage ended up chopping off the engine rails and putting a nylon motor mount on with blind nuts. I still mounted the engine inverted. With a two stroke to go side mount, there wouldn't be much left of the cowl.
It's a fun little plane. Mine seems constructed pretty well, but I haven't seen the world models cub up close...looks nice in the pictures posted here.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 AM
layback2

You could be right i found another one but stay away from this one made by CYmodel sold by texasrcplanes it allso has the hardwood engine mount and the worst manual i ever seen and the throws are a mess we were talking about it in another post in 1/2a form. The world model J3 cub 26 is much nicer plane engine sets sideways you install the engine mount the way you want. The cy model has the engine mount off center not sure why have to recut the hole in the cowl for the engine shaft because it is 1/2 or better off center.Thats just the start of extra work that has to be done to finish the model wished i never bought that one.To late now to return it
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: forestroke

i have seen the global cub and honestly was not impressed with it. while they may look similar in pictures, the global seems more lightly made. the WM is very solid. now that's not exactly a good or bad thing. but the global doesn't look quality. furthermore the gear on the WM is scale like while the global is not at all.

all told, the global is probably an easier build but the WM is well worth the effort.

i guess there's one observation i've made about people the buy the global and those that buy the WM: the guys that fly the global never put on the struts, the guys that fly the WM never fly without them!

happy new years!!!

--------------

Now that was an excellent point to raise (struts). I love Cubs, but I hate flying with struts. Anything that slows me down loses favor with me very quickly. Low energy and all that.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 AM
forestroke

well Ed, then you're not one to be flying a cub :-) i think cubs are best slightly underpowered (by rc standards) and with struts! there is beauty in a way that you have to fly that kind of cub. five things i love about underpowered cubs:

1. you're using the rudder instead of the more common yank and bank flying style.
2. you're taking more than 1 foot to get off the ground
3. crabbing all the way to the tarmic when bringing in the cub on a windy day
4. the sound and look of the plane as it come down to a put-put low pass and how beautiful it looks as you pull up and away to a gentle climb
5. how all your aerobatics take planning

layback 2,
you have to remember that the engine is set at an angle (2 degrees if my memory serves me right) so remember to take that into consideration before you do anything. the engine should be off center in the back and only on center at the prop.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Cub for what it is, but more than that, I especially like "some" of the Cub kits because they make excellent hot rods for low and slow flying. You know, where you must use the rudder? <G>

I usually overpower my Cubs for great vertical performance. But high throttle is used only for tuning and vertical ascents. Never when the nose is on the horizon.

I had polio at age five and suffer a permanent energy deficit. I was more fortunate than most of the folks in the communicable diseases ward in Camden General Hospital in Camden, NJ in 1951. Mostly, it doesn't show with me. I can walk a tad, etc. My problem is running out of energy - like a car running out of gas. This is why I do not fly models that require a complicated set up and disassembly regimen. Especially one where the wing may fold if the struts are not employed.

I've been into low and slow aerobatics long before the current 3D craze. No, I don't expect my Cubs to 3D. The maneuvers I fly with my Cubs are all possible with a full size Cub piloted by a maniac.

Ed Cregger

Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Cougar-RCU

Got My World Cub today. What a beauty.. Well Crafted. Now All I need to know is do you think
I should put micro servos in it?
Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
MrMulligan

I don't think I would. I had Hitec 425BB servos in mine and it flew great with the OS.30FS. You probably could use mini's but be careful which ones. I'd maybe use Hitec HS-85BB or HS-81MG's.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Cougar-RCU

I kinda would like to stay with Futaba. but not sure if I decide to go that way what Model Servo to use these days
with all the new numbers ect... [:-] (in micro) I do have a brand new OS 30 F/S that I will be putting into it.
Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Cougar-RCU

ummmm
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKYL4&P=M
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Cougar-RCU

So this is what your talking about then? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN676&P=ML
they seem like they might be the ticket.. thanks for the info.
could not find the 85BB though. anyways Hitec are at a great price.
Jeff
Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
MrMulligan

You want to check the specs for the output torque. You want it above 30oz.in. I see the second page has the HS-81MG. These are metal geared and have a lot of torque.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

I've got the Global Cub and have been flying it for 4 - 5 years. It's a great little bird and very solidly built. The only trick is to remember to flip the rudder over to low rates for takeoff. The engine does need to be installed inverted. Mine has a Magnum .25 two stroke and can fly like a rocket if I want it to. It will also putt-putt around just fine and behave like the Cub it's supposed to be. I never disassemble mine... just toss it into the back seat and go fly. I put the struts on once... when I assembled the plane and there they remain. I used Hitec HS-81 servos with no problems. Watch the weight, you'll be glad you did. Yes, it is stand-WAY-off-close-one-eye-and-squint-with-the-other scale but I ain't planning a trip to Top Gun anyway. Get it, fly it, have a ball. It's a terrific little airplane for not a lot of $

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.