Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Servos For H9 Ultra Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Servos For H9 Ultra Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
kato5692

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos For H9 Ultra Stick 40

I am about to assemble my H9 Ultra Stick 40in the quad flap configuration. Some info I have read suggests using micro servos in the wings. The reason would be significant weight savings. Other info states that micro servos are to light and will strip under load. I am planning on using a JR or Hitec flight pack. Should I use micro servos in the wings and if so any recommendations or are the standard JR- ST47BB or Hitec HS 425BB servos suitable.

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM
gstockton

Default RE: Servos For H9 Ultra Stick 40

i have had two ultra sticks i used standard on mine
Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I'd just use standard servos in an H9 Ultra Stick.

If you want to go to with micro servos for weight savings something like the HS-81 would probably work fine, you can get the HS-81MG (metal gear version) if you're worried about stripping the gears out. With four servos, you'll only save about 3-4 oz using the micros, and they cost about 2x what the standard servos cost.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Also keep in mind that those four wing surfaces are pretty small so overall the load wouldn't be so bad. I would think about MG if you plan to push it. I considered doing that with mine as well but I decided to build something with more capability and leave it as is for now. I am building a GP Reactor which is similar in size and weight and they spec smaller servos for all surfaces so I think it can be done. I would probably use something more robust on the elevator and rudder through.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

go on and jump up to the 60 size. You won't regrett it. They fly great and will float around in the wind. Very easy to land even in a strong wind.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 40 size with an OS .55AX is really nice. I have the 60 size, too. I like a digital on rudder. My US40 will do a knife edge loop.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had three H-9 40 size Ultra sticks. They have had Futaba 148 & 3003, Hitec 325 & 425 servos.

There is no reason to not use the Hitec 225BB servo. They are about half the size of the 322 with just as much power.

I've seen the 225's used in other 40 size planes and they seemed to work well. They cost twice as much as regular servos though.

I used the Hitec 422/425 servos on the flaps of the one I had the flaps on. They are easy to go inside and reverse the wires on the reference pot to reverse the travel direction. So you can use one reversed servo on one flap.

I've also used the standard servos on the 60 size.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay guys...
I have the model, and I fly straight basic Airtronics 94102's. Never a problem or issue with the servo's...and I'm happy with them. I have the quad flap set up too...but a bit of a programing issue with my Stylus Tx. I mounted my servo's for the rudder and elevator in the aft Fuse. area near the tail, and I ran long servo leads to connect it all together (no radio problems either). I also installed a more scale spring leaf tail wheel assy. too...because I had one on hand...and I like the spring action of the leaf spring tail wheels. I've flown this model with both K & B .61 Twister, and the Super Tiger G90. The vertical with the G90 would take your breath away, but I liked the over all performance with the .61. There are touque issues with the .61, so it's good training for your thumbs, but the G90 takes tourque issues to a new level. I still have the model...and the origonal servo's are still mounted on the airframe. Its a real pleasure to fly this model and the K&B .61 Twister is back in.
Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui