Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Senior Kadet ARF Covering HELP!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Senior Kadet ARF Covering HELP!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 AM
RealPilotAce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Senior Kadet ARF Covering HELP!

I was unfortunate enough to puch a hole and crack some balsa in my wing on a SIG Senior Kadet (sad thing is it hasn't been flown). Anyways... all the searching I've done is that it's covered in ORACOTE. Transparent Blue and White ORACOTE. Now, I ordered a roll of each from Horizon Hobby which is the only place I could find the stuff... my question is...

DID I DO THE RIGHT THING to match up the covering? Or is it NOT covered with ORACOTE and I have 2 rolls of covering that is the wrong stuff?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Sportflyr
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sig Senior Kadet ARF Covering HELP!

OraCOVER is the same as Ultracote and from my experience
with the stuff, it matches perfect every time. You
did the right thing ordering through Horizon.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from the Sig Senior Kadet webpage:

Like all SIG ARFs, the Kadet Senior ARF is 90% assembled, using only the finest material, then expertly covered with premium Aerokote polyester film. A complete hardware package including top quality nylon and metal parts is included as well as an 8-ounce fuel tank and wheels. A fully illustrated, comprehensive assembly manual takes you from box to field in a few, short hours.

Some Oracover/Ultrcote colors match Aerokote, but some don't. If you don't get a match, get the Aerokote from Sig.

Jim
Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
RealPilotAce

Every G*D D*mn site I went to and every post I could find, said... ULTRAKOTE. So, what do I do, try and find that. Nope, UK only, ORACOTE is the US name, fine, find that. Leads me to Hobby whatever.

Glad that you posted this reply because there is no mention of what the SIG is covered in anywhere!

THANKS A TON
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Everything else fails? There is a brand new set of blue and white wings at Noell's Hobbies in Wildwood, Fla. 352/748-0031. They parted out a kit and have them left over.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
RealPilotAce

I was just a couple of cracked ribs and 2 cross members in the stab that got mashed.... was able to CA everything back together. It's just I like my stuff to be color matched (I've found the feminie side of me... um, no, I didn't). I've never flow a Senior Kadet and picked the whole thing, radio, servos, TT engine, and plane for 150 clams, so I have to fly it. Plus it would make a great Arial Photo platform!

But I will keep that number handy, Just In Case I try to fly it areo and miss.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM
MikeL@Sig

RealPilotAce,

The early Kadet Seniors were covered in Oracover (German Name) Ultracote (US Name) The newer ones are all covered in our Aerokote. If you look in your build manuel it will tell you which covering yours was done in. Here are the part numbers for each

Ultracote
Trans Blue 954
Trans Red 950
White 870

Aerokote

Trans Red SIGSTL010
Trans Blue SIGSTL050
White SIGSTL100

I hope this helps clear things up.

Happy Landings
Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
RealPilotAce

I wish I'd have looked in the manual first... dohh!

The manual states that ... For part number reference your Kadet Senior ARF was covered in Oracover film with the following part numbers: #10 White and #21-29 Transparent Red or #21-59 Transparent Blue.

So it looks like your part numnbers match up with what I have wich is the Ultracote covering, thanks!!! I'm sure this thread will help out others.

HANU870 Ultracote,White 1.00
HANU954 Ultracote,Transparent Blu 1.00

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Lowvoltage

Originally Posted by RealPilotAce
I wish I'd have looked in the manual first... dohh!

The manual states that ... For part number reference your Kadet Senior ARF was covered in Oracover film with the following part numbers: #10 White and #21-29 Transparent Red or #21-59 Transparent Blue.

So it looks like your part numnbers match up with what I have wich is the Ultracote covering, thanks!!! I'm sure this thread will help out others.

HANU870 Ultracote,White 1.00
HANU954 Ultracote,Transparent Blu 1.00

Thanks again!
I'm reviving this thread because I have a Kadet Sr. ARF that has been abused and miss-treated. It will fly with more things wrong than you can imagine. Well, I decided to fix it up and show some respect for the neglect. I ordered the HANU954 covering material as the replacement for the transparent blue. All of the Ultracote I have used previously had backing material on the film. This did not. I live 30 miles from Horizon Hobby. I ordered the replacement covering material on Aug 07, and received it on Aug 19. It traveled from Champaign, IL to Des Moines Iowa and then to Clinton IL. I have set my covering iron on every setting from the recommended 220 deg F to 180 deg F on the low end, and to 300 deg F (measured with a digital infrared thermometer), and I can't make the material adhere to the balsa framework. I have never had that problem before. I used two different covering irons and a trim iron. It looks like there is no glue on the covering. What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
jrf

Does it have a clear backing that you have neglected to remove? Maybe they switched from the paper backing to a clear material.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Lowvoltage

It doesn't have any backing. If you have any of the solid color Ultracote you can see the wax paper-like backing material and remove it. This has none.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Horizon and see what they have to say.

Most covering has a backing, although it may be hard to see.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Lowvoltage

Hello Tom, I will call them this morning. I need to talk with them about the possibillity of picking up material there instead of shipping it to me via Des Moines anyway.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowvoltage
Hello Tom, I will call them this morning. I need to talk with them about the possibillity of picking up material there instead of shipping it to me via Des Moines anyway.

I recently purchased some battery packs from Electro Dynamics. They are about 225 miles from here, in the Detroit area. They went to Sarasota Florida on their way to Northern Michigan.

Ask Horizon about the backing on Ultracoat.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 AM
jrf

Default The backing material is clear

I emailed Horizon and this is the answer I got.

Jim,

Thanks for contacting Horizon Hobby. The backing material is clear. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reply to me via e-mail or call us at 1-800-338-4639 or 217-352-1913. We are available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST, Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. CST. Thank you so much for your business.

Liz
Electronic Communications Representative
Horizon Hobby, LLC.
800-338-4639

Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:38 PM
To: Horizon Hobby Sales
Subject: Transparent Ultracote

Is the backing material on the transparent Ultracote the same paper like material as the solid color Ultracote, or is it a clear material?

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Lowvoltage

Jim, they are probably wondering at Horizon what the heck is going on with the covering issue. I called and left my number. I got a phone call about 10;30 this morning and talked with a tech. He said there is backing material on the covering. Well, I went down to the shop and had a fight with the end of the roll. If you put tape on the front and the back and peel from the edge, you will be surprised. There is a backing sheet. It is very thin, and as clear as glass. Much thanks for your effort!