Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120

Here are some pics of what iv done to take some weight off. The lighting holes in the fuselage will be hidden by the cowl and canopy. I also cute about an inch off the back of the cowl and most off the bottom. So fare I have removed about 6 oz of fiberglass. The wheel pants will not be used for my next flight as they weigh 3oz a piece. I’m also doing away with the flaps, fixing them rigged and covering the gaps with monocote. This will cut a few oz and covering the ½†gaps will help the wing fly a little better. One mod that I never mentioned is the elevator pushrod was not very stable so I had to add supports to guide it without flopping around in the fuselage, I just glued 2 pop cycle sticks verticality on each side of the pushrod on the middle bulkhead in the tail. I also ca’d the metal wires in the pushrod tube before I tightened the set screw and used quick connectors on my servo arms. I had one set screw on the pushrod tube strip out and I didn’t trust them. I don’t know why my plane came out so heavy 10 ½ lbs. My CG was at 5â€. I think I have lost enough weight in the nose to remove the lead in the tail and move the CG up to 4.5†or maybe more. I have removed at least pound Like I said it was extremely tail heavy at 5â€. Hopefully she will be a lot more pleasant to fly on my second attempt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15150.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	959808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70357.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	959809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84336.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	959810  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
tonywayne

She flys great now after getting the weight down and moving the CG up. I think fixing the flaps and covering them made a big difference. Flys like a big ol trainer, kife edgs a lot easer than I though it would and does luncevocs beatufully like the full scale. I get complements every time I go to the field on the ground and in the air. The final tweeking I had to do was bend the gear forward a little to keep from noseing over. I put alot of work into this arf but it was worth every bit. Ill try and get a video up of a flight.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just started knocking up one of these, I just aquired an SC 160 twin, anyone know if I'll get away with the cg, the lump wighs about 1.25 Kg?
Gary.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM
CRFlyer

I have been considering purchasing one of these. I want flaps, so was wondering if any one has one with functioning flaps that can give a report. Also, I have a ys 110 FZ nib that I was wondering if that would power this plane ok.

I have experience flying a goldberg chipmunk, but would now like a bigger model.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM
madmodelman

My CMPro one has now flown successfully with the SC160, flaps are fitted as standard, in fact this evening I just got my B Licence test with it, beautiful airlane to fly so your engine should be no problem. Pic attached, Gary.

Name:	Sq46155.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1021216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61575.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1021217  
Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
CRFlyer

Great, thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:54 AM
madmodelman

Got the Cowling on now, managed it without cutting too much away! Gary.

Name:	Pn36480.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1025193  
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Sourkraut

Well, it has been awhile since I posted on here. I had been flying my CMPro 120 Chippy for a good part of the summer off and on and absolutely loved how this plane flew. It looked absolutely beautiful on the ground and in the air. The seperate servo for the tailwheel was working flawlessly. I had zero trouble with the landing gear tourque boxes after reinforcing them. The functioning flaps worked awesome (great for takeoffs and landings). The ST G90 was just coming into it's own and flew the plane very well.
You notice everything is in the past tense!! About two weeks ago I was out flying and went up to do an emmelman and I lost ailerons. They jammed to the left. I had about 250 ft to try and unjam them but she spun right into the ground nose first. I fought it till about 50 ft above the ground then i just cut the throttle and watched it wack the ground.
It crashed into a green canola feild which helped minimise the damages somewhat but the front of the fiberglass fuse crumpled up pretty good. The cowl and canopy are crunched also. I was quite deflated after this as I loved flying the Chippy. I was going to just order a new one but they are out of stock. I gutted all the gear out of it and put it all into a BME Cap 232 Maniac. Nice flying plane in its own right, but I still miss my Chippy.
I dug it out of storage on the weekend and looked it over. Everything on the fuse is still in tact except for the crumpled front and the #1 plywood former is destroyed. I decided to ressurect her over the winter. I am pretty good at fiberglassing and painting. (27 years in the autobody trade will pay off here).
I will also be moving the rudder and elev servos to the rear of the fuse to help eliminate the need for the extra tailweight.
Anyone considering getting this plane....... DO IT. It is a great plane for the money!!

Will keep in touch once I start the rebuild.

Cheers

Curt

Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
CRFlyer

Sourkraut

Sorry to hear about your chippy. Hope you get it fixed up. I am still planning on purchasing one of these in the next month or so. I do have a old cg chippy built from a kit. I did not build it, but it flys great. Been wanting another one as it is so much fun to fly.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Sourkraut

CRFlyer... My brother has a World Models Chippy, with retracts and an OS.91 4 popper, that also flies well but is a little smaller than the CMPro 120. I have looked at a lot of Chippies and I still think the CMPro is still one of the nicest looking ones. Just make sure you beef up the weakspots as we suggested earlier and do the few simple mods and you will love it. You will get a lot of "OOOOOOOO's and AAAAAHHHHH's" at the field when you show up with this plane.

Now I'm really getting the itch to start my rebuild!!!!!

Curt
Old 07-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Really fancy one of these for a 26cc petrol, how wide is the firewall
Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Balsa_cracker

Anyone know where I can get spare parts. I got a bare bone arf for a heck of a deal.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 AM
aeromax18

Default Got one

Hello and thanks everyone for their posts. Very interesting.
always had a soft spot for the Chipmunk. Had a Goldberg Chipmunk many years ago and finally got a CMPro built up plane for a song. Real cheap. power is dle20 cc motor . all high end servos with smart switches and regulators with two life batts supposedly Ready to Fly. All that for $425. All in brand new condition. I took it home happily and few days later decided to charge the battaries and prepare it for flight. To my surprise I felt that the motor swings a little when I lifted it from the ground. looked at it carefully and removed the cowl for the first time. Wow! Discovered why it was so cheap. The plane took a hit up front and pushed the motor against the fiberglass firewall and brok it on the top end and somewhat on the sides. The seller tried to bond the breakage with epoxy and did a very poor job. It was all covered by the cowl and I never suspected that something is wrong. Needless to say that the seller did not disclose the damage to me.

Name:	20170802_121040.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	2231190  

Last edited by aeromax18; 09-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM
aeromax18

Default Repair

I would have bought it anyway if the seller had disclosed the damage to me cause the price was unbeatable. I am fluent with fiberglass work so I set out to repair the damage and strengthen the firewall.
First step was to clean up all the paint around the FW and Fuse junction. Did that and discovered I ran out of paint brushes so this thing is put off for tomorrow.
It's ashame that mfg. do not take the time to do it right. I read here about the gear mount plates not being bonded properly and now seeing how flimsy the FW / Fuse joint is. No reinforcement at all to such a critical area that takes a lot of beating . I gues that is the price we pay for being lazy and not building these models from scratch.

Name:	20170910_201304.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2231191   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_201319.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2231192  

Last edited by aeromax18; 09-10-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM
aeromax18

Default Repair

OK, repaired the broken joint between the FW and the fuse with some micro balloon paste and fiberglass strips. Looks good and waiting for it to dry.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	2231496   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2231497  
Old 11-22-2020, 06:40 AM
HellRayzr

Hello everyone,

I have a CMPRO Super Chipmunk as well, bought is second hand years ago in pretty much new state.
I have never flown it, it's been on the 'project to do list' for ages.
Bought a SAITO FG-21 recently and started converting it from a OS 2 stroke to this new engine.
I am currently building a strong engine mount, which extends into the fuse up until the lead edge of the wing, hoping it would drastically increase the strength on the front side, I can post some pics if there is some interest.

I do not have the manual, nor can I find it on the internet anywhere, I even contacted some dealers who sold this kit once, but to no avail.
Since some of you guys here seem to have bought this as a new kit once, I'm wondering if anyone has the manual for it and is willing to share it here?

I know it's an old thread, but can't hurt to try and ask for some help.

Hope most of you still own and fly this beauty.

Ok, thanks for reading my post, have a good day!

HellRayzr from The Netherlands.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:27 PM
scottydsntknow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol 2 years+ later but if you or anyone else needs the instructions still LMK. I got one of these some time ago and scanned the instructions.

Originally Posted by HellRayzr
Hello everyone,

I have a CMPRO Super Chipmunk as well, bought is second hand years ago in pretty much new state.
I have never flown it, it's been on the 'project to do list' for ages.
Bought a SAITO FG-21 recently and started converting it from a OS 2 stroke to this new engine.
I am currently building a strong engine mount, which extends into the fuse up until the lead edge of the wing, hoping it would drastically increase the strength on the front side, I can post some pics if there is some interest.

I do not have the manual, nor can I find it on the internet anywhere, I even contacted some dealers who sold this kit once, but to no avail.
Since some of you guys here seem to have bought this as a new kit once, I'm wondering if anyone has the manual for it and is willing to share it here?

I know it's an old thread, but can't hurt to try and ask for some help.

Hope most of you still own and fly this beauty.

Ok, thanks for reading my post, have a good day!

HellRayzr from The Netherlands.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:08 AM
nickgt40

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have just registered/joined today.
I have just acquired a CMPRO 120 SUPERCHIPMUNK which I would like to convert to electric as that's all we are allowed to fly at our club in Christchurch Dorset. .
Has any one done a conversion, if so please may I get some advice on what size of motor, esc, battery and prop size to use please.
There wasn't a build manual with the plane either so I'm keen to find out if there is one to buy or down load off the internet .
I see a member scottydsntknow put on here on the 12- 13- 2022 instructions are available from LMK .Who is this please .
Thanks very much in advance.
nickgtd40.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:35 AM
scottydsntknow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them. Send me a PM I can email them to you.

As for conversion... Not sure about making a hatch for the battery in fiberglass. This may be one youd want to just remove the wing between flights or install a port to field charge the lipo while in the plane if you are comfortable with that. Mine is staying a fuel plane because I don't want to deal with that.

Originally Posted by nickgt40
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have just registered/joined today.
I have just acquired a CMPRO 120 SUPERCHIPMUNK which I would like to convert to electric as that's all we are allowed to fly at our club in Christchurch Dorset. .
Has any one done a conversion, if so please may I get some advice on what size of motor, esc, battery and prop size to use please.
There wasn't a build manual with the plane either so I'm keen to find out if there is one to buy or down load off the internet .
I see a member scottydsntknow put on here on the 12- 13- 2022 instructions are available from LMK .Who is this please .
Thanks very much in advance.
nickgtd40.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:07 AM
nickgt40

Hi Scott ,
I have sent you a pm regarding the instructions for the CMPRO Chipmunk did you receive it ?
Thanks Nick