Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Servos for Yellow Aircraft 60 Size Extra?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Servos for Yellow Aircraft 60 Size Extra?

Old 05-04-2003, 01:39 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for Yellow Aircraft 60 Size Extra?

I just bought a Yellow Aircraft 60 Size Extra and it hasn't arrived yet, but I want to start planning for the radio gear.

So what servos are required for this bird?

Can anybody tell me the number required, their mounting location, function and recommended torque please.

i.e. 2 tail mounted elevator servos each with a minimum of 40oz of torque.

.....or 1 fuselage mounted elevator servo with 60oz torque.

Something like this for each control surface would be great.

Also does this plane come standard with pull/pull on the rudder?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:59 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

One pull-pull on rudder, one on a Y pushrod on elevator, two for ailerons, and one for throttle. All mounted next to each other in a tray (except the ailerons ) I used Futaba 9202 coreless all the way around except for throttle and am very happy. This is not a big airplane and I don't believe you need a lot of torque. Precision is always good, though.

Rein
Old 05-04-2003, 04:46 PM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

I flew the YA Extra with a 91 Saito with standard servos except for rudder where I used a Hitec 605. The elevator and rudder could use the 605s, especially if you're gunning for a powerful motor (like a Saito 100 or OS 91FX)... but standards work fine on the ailerons.

Rein says it well.

-Juhan
Old 05-04-2003, 06:15 PM
adrian-RCU

we run ours with a 91fx, futaba3001 in the wings, 3003 on the throtle, 605 hi-tecs in the tail, this plane is a flyer of note, just watch the balance and elevator throws at first!!.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:46 PM
maverick

I'll be using an OS FS-91 II Surpass for an engine, which I believe should have plenty of power for this airframe.

What about balance?

With this engine am I going to need tail or nose weight?

If it would require tail weight, how hard is it to mount servos in the tail for the elevator?

I have also heard good things about how this plane flies.

Juhan I have seen the vids on your website. Good work. Looks like you have a lot of fun with these Yellow Aircraft ARF's.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:23 PM
jsonin

Mav - If the FS-91 is similar in weight to the Saito 91 (I'm not sure.. I think it's just a little heavier), the CG will be ok. I would not mount the servos in the tail; the model wasn't built for it and one doesn't need to slap the servos back there... unless the model is terribly nose-heavy.

Some mods while building:
* push the landing gear another 1" forward, especially if you're using grass runways - this will help with possible nose-overs
* mount receiver/servo battery (I recommend someone on the order of a 1600 mah 4.8v pack) at the back of the servo tray (especially if you're using a heavier motor) - note: I placed my battery right behind the fuel tank and the balance was great... because I was using a Saito 91

I haven't tail-mounted the servos on any YA ARF. I haven't found the CG to need it. Your experience maybe different... I can't say.

Thanks for checking out the videos... The YA Extra is a great flyer.

Yours,
Juhan
Old 05-05-2003, 02:48 PM
maverick

Originally posted by jsonin
Mav - If the FS-91 is similar in weight to the Saito 91 (I'm not sure.. I think it's just a little heavier), the CG will be ok. I would not mount the servos in the tail; the model wasn't built for it and one doesn't need to slap the servos back there... unless the model is terribly nose-heavy.

Well I believe the OS is heavier than the Saito, but by exactly how much is debatable. I have heard various different opinions about the manufacturer's quoted weights.

The Tower website has the OS FS-91 II weight with muffler at 23oz and the Horizon website has the Saito .91 weight with muffler at 520gm, which is about 18.5oz.

So the OS looks like it is about 4.5oz heavier.

Some mods while building:
* push the landing gear another 1" forward, especially if you're using grass runways - this will help with possible nose-overs

No grass runways for me. Both places I fly are paved, so shouldn't be a problem. Is there a specific mounting point fixed on the fuse, or can you just put the gear anywhere within a certain range?

* mount receiver/servo battery (I recommend someone on the order of a 1600 mah 4.8v pack) at the back of the servo tray (especially if you're using a heavier motor) - note: I placed my battery right behind the fuel tank and the balance was great... because I was using a Saito 91

Well with the OS engine heavier as stated above, I guess a larger battery pack as far back as possible will help. I have a 1500mAh which I am planning on using.

I haven't tail-mounted the servos on any YA ARF. I haven't found the CG to need it. Your experience maybe different... I can't say.

I guess with the engine being only 4.5oz's heavier, a couple of 2oz servos way back in the tail would more than offset this and then require nose weight. I guess the servos stay in the fuse and then I balance with battery etc. Should work OK.

Thanks for checking out the videos... The YA Extra is a great flyer.

No problem. I am a friend of ShempHoward's and he put me onto your website. I also work for a company with a head office in Burlington so have been to your field before, but haven't ever seen you there.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 PM
jsonin

The landing gear does have a specific location on the bottom of the fuse, but there is a bit of wiggle room. If you're flying off a paved runway (you lucky man), you probably won't need the gear pushed forward. If you decide to slide a quarter of an inch forward, make sure you check how the cowl will fit - it may require some dremel'ing to fit around the gear legs (but probably not).

The 1500 mah battery is a perfect match.

A friend of Shemps? Oh ho... I'm kidding! He's visited our field several times.. and we've coordinated a few equipment trades/sales. Nice gent.

Note about 91-size 4 strokes on the YA Extra/Giles/CAP: Saito/OS 91 four strokes will not pull the YA planes out of a hover. That's the only problem with outfitting these aircraft with 91 four strokes. The Saito 100 seems to be a much better match (what I'm using on the Giles). More on that later.

Fire away with the questions,
Juhan
Old 05-07-2003, 01:50 AM
maverick

Originally posted by jsonin
A friend of Shemps? Oh ho... I'm kidding! He's visited our field several times.. and we've coordinated a few equipment trades/sales. Nice gent.

Yes he is and he has also taught me a lot about this hobby. Your right, he always seems to be involved in some deal too and most of the time he comes out with a great bargain.

Note about 91-size 4 strokes on the YA Extra/Giles/CAP: Saito/OS 91 four strokes will not pull the YA planes out of a hover. That's the only problem with outfitting these aircraft with 91 four strokes. The Saito 100 seems to be a much better match (what I'm using on the Giles). More on that later.
Now you are starting to make me wonder whether the OS FS-91 II will be enough! This plane is going to be used to practice the basic IMAC and Sportsman Pattern sequences, so I guess I should be OK.

Apart from hovering and more advanced 3D maneuvers, how will it fly with the 91?

Fire away with the questions,
Juhan
Thanks. I haven't received it yet, but I just tracked it and it is due for delivery tomorrow, so when I get started building I may have more questions.