Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cherokee ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Cherokee ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Cherokee ARF

I have been flying mine off of grass for the last two years with an OS .46 AX and it flys great. I put a little larger wheels on it and left the wheel pants off. It lands as smooth as can be using flaps. The only problem I have had is the left main gear tends to get bent back and needs to be straighten every few flights.

Bruce
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a maiden flight of one of these at our field Monday. It was electric powered. Flew great off the grass, but our grass is mostly dead and pretty low this time of year. You could open up the wheel pants(even the top side) and go up one or two sizes on the tires. The wheel pants will cover the larger tires. Lands pretty fast and glides well for that type of airframe. Did OK, but flaps would be more fun and a little slower.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM
skylane62

Hi Guys,

I fixed the same problem by using the little round spacers they sent with the kit for use with the ESC. They work just fine. You CA them to the inside wall of the pant over where the landing gear is supposed to go in. Works fine. I'm just waiting for some calm weather to fly mine. I have a 42-60-800 rimfire and 2, 3700 mAh batteries in series. Problem with the big batteries is it drives the weight up to 7 lbs and it is in the nose. Had to add about 1 oz of lead to the tail to get it to balance. Problem with the upfront weight is that if it ever comes in hard on the nose the ship is done for.

I've noticed in this thread that a number of folks have the old kit version either unbuilt or just hanging around. Man get it together and get out and fly it. I flew mine on a GMS 47 for over six years before a crash in 50 km/h winds finished it.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM
eastcoast

Flap on this Plane are very Scale like in its flying characteristics.I have flown in a full scale Cherokee.I Usually rent one in the summer months Tips stall is always a issue ,with the flaps down a touch of speed is your friend.We found that Cutting the Thr at 5-10 ft She would float in very nicely and hold a flair
I mixed some Down Elev with Flaps too hold a constant speed/decent.

As i was saying i only had 4 flights on her last Summer.Winter here now maybe get some Skis in the near Future

Every flight i had on it i was on the buddy Box.New too a club and had to get my wings...It was my Main landing gear is the issue that keeps busting out.the Block wasn't glued in great(Thin Strip of clear wood Glue). The Second time i Fixed the same Port LG, i built out around the Wing ribs with tripled up lam of 1/16 th Ply.
It Seems too be Much Stronger now.
Im planning on getting the 3.5''Wheels? the bigger whells well fit on the Wheel pants?.
I took mine off after the first flight. See our Strip is nice and flat but very undulated at the root of the Sod.
Hopefully it holds up next summer
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: eastcoast

it is a nice plane no dought...if your landing on pavement she should be fine

Check here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10245921/tm.htm

Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
flyingt5150

I have a great planes cherokee 140 and bought it last summer. It flies excellent.  I take it off from a grass strip. I took off the wheel pants, and instaledl some 3.5 inch tires all the way around. I have a .46 os max with a bisson muffler.   The link below is a you tube video os my plane.

It a fun plane to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzyHz1Qd7I
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Kostas1

Guys,

with what degrees have you set the flaps to operate ?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
eastcoast

I have 2 position flaps. 10 degree's and 20 Degree's
Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 AM
flyingt5150

I set the flaps to 20 degrees on takeoffs and landings. On landings the airplane floats, other than that I really like the flaps.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Kostas1

So i guess everything between 10-20 degrees should be fine!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 AM
flyingt5150

Here is a video of my cherokee with the flaps down. You can see how it floats on landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1hL0zzIRkI
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
BannuK

I have a cherokee too, here is a video off my landing last sunday

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtwFtUS83Y[/link]

love this plane!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Kostas1

My maiden on HD !!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrKvF4xNqE[/youtube]
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM
skylane62

Hi Guys,

No pictures, but the maiden flight went really well, although with the throws set at the recommended values it was pretty snakey!! I now fly it mostly on the low settings and only use the high settings for aerobatic manoevers. I have no trouble with the wheel pants on grass. With the big motor and lots of battery power I usually fly about 1/2 throttle. My flaps are continuously variable so that I can pick as much or little flap as I want. Haven't had to use them as yet. With the batter weight, the plane is nose heavy, so had to add an ounce or so to the tail end for balance. This ensures that I come in very quickly.

Good Flying
Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had several flights on mineand she is now flying great!! Knock on wood!! I was hoping to have some video but what video I saw of it wasn't worth posting as it was a second here or a second there and it was pretty much straight and level and nothing more..

I removed the wheel pants asthe nose gear block came out on one flight. When the nose gear collasped it put a nice hole in the bottom of the fuse. I glued that blockback in with Hysol so it will take dynamite to get that block out ever again. Patched up the hole and she is almost as good as new.

I was having an overheating problem with the OS 45 FSR in there. First I opened up the hole for the exhaust and it was better but still not right. Since I had the cowl off to fix the nose gear block,Ialso took the opportunity to block off the one hole in the cowl with some G-10. No overheating issues now. When I take her up now, she is in the air so long I get my chops busted about staying up all day long.....Or what do you have in there a full fuse tank? Gotta love it....

As for the flaps I had some down mixed in on full flaps.Originally about 5%was added but she was still ballooningupon deployement. Each flight I increased the % down until it stopped which ended up being about 13%. Now when the flaps go down, she don't go up or down, and you can see it start to slow down.She does need the flaps, otherwise she will float forever. I was using thepartial flaps on take off only but stopped using them as it seemslikeshe doesn't really need them to get airborne.

This plane is a blast to fly and is a good "ole reliable" to take out there.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:59 PM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Great plane

Originally Posted by eastcoast
hey mooseflyer that's a cool idea.Well i got too maiden mine!!,Well the Clubs CFI did.We didn't have a trainer cord at the time,But he looked over the Plane and checked it all out.Balance was good,i had 3/4oz too the tail too compensate for the 5C 2700Mah RX battery and the 1oz Spinner Nut.He got it Airborne and and it flew amazing ,no trim was needed.He was quite impressed on the flying characteristics of the Cherokee.
Im new too the Club and glow planes for that matter,My flying experience is with park fliers,with about 5-6 years under my belt.and only last fall did i decide too get into Glow,so after the initial test flight he landed,Re-fueled and and did some engine tuning(new engine) so we leaned it in 1/2 turn and got airborne and and let me do some Circuit's.LOL what a difference going from Electric too GLOW POWER
Well after me flying for about 5 mins he took back controls and set up for approach came in with 1st notch of flaps,(i have it set-up with 2 notch's, 1st is about 13 degrees and second/Full flaps is around 20 Degress,so he came in just a touch slow and a bit of a bumpy landing.The only damage was the darn front wheel pant Spike came up and poked 2 holes in the bottom of the fuselage.I new i should of taken them off.I read of so many people having that happen.He said it shouldn't of happened and i know he felt bad for it happening but that it,it's was no biggy,I was too excited that i finally got her in the air.I was thinking of maybe mixing some down elevator with the flaps,not much maybe 2-3 degrees too keep her on a nose down attitude when coming in for landing have you experimented with that?
Well heres some pics

Runway "Grass 30'x300'

1st take off ;0)

Me Re-fueling

Damage from the Wheel Pant,Which are no longer on the Plane,I was thinking of cutting the Spike off and applying some Mono-coat over the Hole.

Ive been flying my Cherokee for 10 years now. Its a well built ARF and flys beautifully. I power it with an ASP 61 fourstroke engine and its one of my favourite planes.
The following users liked this post:
HangarRash (11-16-2022)
Old 07-27-2023, 01:38 PM
kiwi4
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the great planes Cherokee 40 and I need, The canopy or the canopy plasitc. Any one have one to sell or know where to get one.kiwi4
Old 07-27-2023, 03:32 PM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi4
I have the great planes Cherokee 40 and I need, The canopy or the canopy plasitc. Any one have one to sell or know where to get one.kiwi4
Hi there, I can tell you where you can order a canopy for your Great Planes Cherokee. Just log onto Amain Hobbies, they have them on back order. Hope you get sorted. Regards Aidan