Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Shoestring "Maiden" Went Great!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Shoestring "Maiden" Went Great!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shoestring "Maiden" Went Great!

Got the Shoestring off the ground this morning. Tracked right down the center line and up it went. Running a G90 sideways with a Pitts and 13/8 prop. Also have "Simple Glow Driver" hooked up and no problems. This G90 I have had in two other planes and is very reliable.
*Landing was fair but no tendency to nose over at all. I replaced the stock wheels with 3" Kavans. I also glassed the mid section where the wings join for added security. Put some glass on the firewall area too. FYI the firewall has some right thrust built into it. Everyone said it looked real good up their.
*Overall, I was very pleased and looks like a keeper.

Take care
Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 AM
WacoOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoestring

I've got 5 or 6 flights on my new Shoestring. (O.S. .61FX, Bisson Pitts muffler). Everyone at my field is very impressed with it (including ME!) Definately a keeper!

Bill
Old 05-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Doing pretty good do far. had another flight on it. Tracks right down the runway on takeoff. Flight was very good. landings are something i am not used to yet on this. Does not land well. I think it is just me but it gets very squirly close to touchdown.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Rforce1

Originally posted by Cyclic Hardover
Doing pretty good do far. had another flight on it. Tracks right down the runway on takeoff. Flight was very good. landings are something i am not used to yet on this. Does not land well. I think it is just me but it gets very squirly close to touchdown.

Are you sure your C.G. is on? I have 14 flights on mine now, and it is very stable all the way down to the roll out. regardless, it has become one of my favorite planes to fly, it looks so good in the air. Might just take some getting used to, my first few landings were a bit hot, I was really surprised at how well this plane flies at low speeds, it has no bad stalling characteristics, just takes some time to get used to.

what engine/prop are you running? I'm running a magnum .91fs with a zinger 14*6, overall a good combo.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Yeh the CG is fine. i think it is just me getting use to it. This morning on its third flight, I kept the power up and came in just a hair faster than i have been and greased that baby right on in.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:12 PM
vansrv8er

Default shoestring landing

I always try and 3 point my shoe on landing. I have alot more success with this method. When I first tried to wheel land it wanted to bounce all of the way down the runway, not good.
I committed an entire flight to slow flight to test the performance and stall characteristics and I found that it flies very well slow. Try and make your approach slow and over the numbers chop your power. Let your bird come to within about 3 feet of the runway and keep feeding in up ele until she settels in on her own. This method keeps her from bouncing and they are a perfect 3 pointer every time
good luck
Old 05-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Its coming around. Put a few more flights on it. What a smooth plane. Cant find any bad characteristics. Landings are fine now that got it figured out. G90 seems to be perfect for it.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

I just flew mine for the first time yesterday and I'm very impressed. The roll rate was a bit quicker but other than that I would say it flies just like my .40 size GP 300 extra.....very stable and lands like a dream. I'm running an OS .91FX with a Bisson Pitt's 70 degree muffler and everything fit in the cowl. On the end of the muffler I put two of those gray exhaust deflectors to route it out of the cowl. The flexible deflectors make removal of the cowl a snap. I did have to plug one of the exhaust ports to get the tank pressure up enough and I had to remove about 1/4 inch of material from the chin of the fire wall for muffler clearance. The plane balanced perfectly level with 1/2 oz of lead on the tail. I can't wait for the engine to be completely broken in so I can see what this thing will really do!!!! Unfortunately, it's raining today AGAIN here in sunny South Carolina!!!!

Jeff
Old 05-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Ya know, I would never have bought this plane but it was a free replacement I haggled for with GP from the defect i had on my Texan. But i am really glad I did. Put a couple more flights on it today with a different prop and it just gets better. So here is what we have.
Super Tiger G90 running sideways
13/8 APC
Bisson Pitts Muffler
Kavan Wheels
14oz tank.

Also something you all may not know is although it is only 61.5 inch wignspan, it is true 1/4 scale which makes it IMAA legal so you can fly with the big boys