Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SE switch Location

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SE switch Location

Old 03-16-2002, 12:14 AM
AzRcpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE switch Location

I'm having some difficulty finding a good location for the on/off charger switch on my Something Extra. Would like to get some input from you all on this. If anyone has pictures that would be great. Thanks in advance and I am looking foward to your suggestions.

Thanks
Mark
:sunsmiley
Old 03-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Default SE Switch

I just put mine in the other day. I placed mine on the left side (opposite side of muffler) and I located it below the wing. If you place the chargeing jack end towards the landing gear then it would be behind the landing gear by about 1/8" and between 1/16"-1/8" from the bottom. Im not thrilled with the location but it will do.

I begin covering it this weekend. Hopefully have it done by Monday.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike Badger
Old 03-16-2002, 01:51 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I put mine underneath right behind the landing gear, only decent place I thought of at the time, its been working good! Glad its not a float plane!
Old 03-16-2002, 02:26 AM
toyking23
My Feedback: (4)

I also located the switch behind the landing gear on both my SE's. Just remember to set it up: push in for on, pull for off. That way you can't accidently turn it off, if you pick the plane up.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:31 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I use a standard JR switch. I put mine in the fuel tank compartment on the left side, opposite the muffler. I'm using a Sullivan 8-ounce tank - it's not as tall as the stock tank and gives me enough room for the switch.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:20 PM
aero

Mounted my Dubro combination charging jack and on/off switch on the left side, beneath the wing almost aligned fore and aft with the landing gear. I had to trim the corner of the mounting plate to get it to clear the wing and had to turn the "innards" that supports the switch 90 degrees to clear the bottom of the inside of the fuselage. I've done this on a number of similar installations and never had any problems. Good luck.

Rod
Old 03-17-2002, 06:28 AM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

toyking23, shouldn't it be push for off? I set mine up with push for off, so I don't accidently bump it and turn it on. I would hate to get to the field and find out I turned plane on sometime at home. Worse yet I would hate to bump switch slightly, just enough to use power but not enough to realize, and not know it's been on, then take a flight.

For me push is OFF. Good luck
Old 03-17-2002, 12:42 PM
aero

Oh yes, the old debate of push on or push off. I think it's a matter of personal preferance. I like to push on, pull off. That way there's no risk of accidently turning off your model as you carry/guide it to the flight line. There is a risk of course that you accidently turn it on as your loading it in the car to drive to the field and you show up without a charged aircraft. For me that's a more acceptable risk...I have a field charger.

In my mind either way is acceptable.

Rod
Old 03-17-2002, 04:41 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very true Aero.....very true.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:45 PM
JohnVH

Id rather get to the field and have the batt. dead than to accidentally turn it off and have it take off!!!!!!!!!

Mine are all push ON
Old 03-17-2002, 06:02 PM
Redline-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

but...but...but....if you mistakenly turn it off while carrying it out to the runway....when you give it the gas to go.....the throttle won't advance if the battery was accidently turned off. I also do a quick control check on the taxiway before taxing out.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:52 PM
JohnVH

true, but if your idle is very high and you go set it down and then grab your transmitter its already running away! It could happen.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:39 PM
toyking23

When I pull my switch off, I also put an aligator clip on the switch post to keep from accidently pushing in and turning it on when not flying. Still for me accidently turning it on is better then turning it off.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:44 AM
wbrian

Default outeeee

Mine is out for on. so i guess it's an outeee. If you bump it in on the way to the line it wont throttle up so i worry more about leaving it on. I found that having it next to a volt watch helps to remind me.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:46 AM
AzRcpilot

Thanks you very much guys for all your input. I located it under the leading edge of the left side of the wing. Im reading all this and tring to figure out if im an inee or an outee. Again Thanks
Mark