Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Best & Worst ARF brands

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Best & Worst ARF brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:35 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best & Worst ARF brands

Just wondering what you guys think of the major companies.
I've been looking through a few threads and have noticed a few things.

1 Not to many people think highly of VMAR kits

2 Have only heard good things about Great planes kits

In general what do you guys think are the best and worst brands?

Old 05-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Ground Zero-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put together 6 ARFs over the past 9 months from H9, World Models and Sig. All are great ARFs:
well constructed
nice balsa
excellent covering
nice fit and finish
great manufacturer support

The only thing that ARFs, in general, lack is a good hardware package. I usually install my own hinge, horns and linkages.

Mike
Old 05-25-2003, 12:43 PM
av8er50
My Feedback: (6)

I just finished a Kysho PT-17 ARF and it was great. No complaints about it what so ever.
Jeff
Old 05-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyosho gets my vote, especially for the ARF's with fiberglass fuselage like the Corsair, Zero, and AT-6. Their other ARF's are also great.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Good ARF's

I agree with Ground Zero, I have to tip my hat to H-9, Sig, World Models and would add Kangke.

In spite of some other folks problems, I was quite impressed with my GP PW Extra 300.

I just got my second Kangke, the Monocoupe, and it looks great.

I love to build and even scratch build quite a few, but sometimes I have other comitments that have to be met and that's when the ARF's start looking good. Not to mention that dollor for dollar many are a good buy.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:24 PM
jbflier

Default BEST ARF'S?

I CAN ONLY PUT TOGETHER ARF'S BECAUSE OF ALLERGIES TO CA GLUES. I'VE PUT TOGETHER HANGER 9, SIG, WORLD MODELS, KANGKE, GREAT PLANES AND KYOSHO. ALL WERE VERY GOOD. THE ONLY POOR FLYING ARF I'VE HAD WAS THE CERMARC EXTRA 300 WITH A 120 4 CYCLE. BIG TIME DOG............
Old 05-25-2003, 02:45 PM
pikebishop

world models kyosho sig
Old 05-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

How about Pacific Aero Models Gee Bee Y model, anybody have that one?
Old 05-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Boss246

Default ARF

Most seem to be pretty good overall. I have done Sig, H9, World Models,GSP...if they would use just a little bit of sand paper before they did such great covering jobs the would look so much better....I have to say World Models gets my vote as the best I have built and flown but there are several others like Yellow Aircraft, and Creek Hobbies that are very good also. the plane I had the most fun with and felt more at ease flying had to be the Sig Extra 300. Now If we can just get them to use some sand paper.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:49 PM
barrelracer
My Feedback: (99)

I have found that most of the ARF's you find on the market today are all pretty good ,some a little better in the hardware .The days of pieaces of over weight sloppy planes are over too and the manufacters know the consumer will not stand for it ,with the manny web sites like RCU a plane with a bad rap would get around quick
Old 05-25-2003, 05:40 PM
robert

ZNline....simply untouchable.
I got a Synergy 90 3D ARTF, and it was just perfect, way better than anyone I know can build, (maybe bar one or two). Really, it is perfect, alot better than the Flair Giles 202 I have.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I think many of todays arfs are getting better and better...

My Hanger 9 ARF is really a very very well built plane, there are a few minor flaws but nothing that an intermediate builder can't fix.

I recently had a Graupner Super Air that I won off here that I put together. This thing was a GREAT ARF. I couldn't believe how well made everything was.... The only problem I don't like with most arfs are the hardware and the covering (contact paper aka, sticky paper), the graupner had this but it stinks. I took it all off after 35 flights and got to see the plane in bare bones. Its very well built and they did a perfect job on it.

There are new companies like Extremeflightrc that are raising the bar now and making it that much better for us!
Old 05-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Kon-Tiki

I love my Model Tech 81" w/s Piper Cub . . . . but the finish was poor and took a lot of tidying up. Come to think of it, a lot of the joints were lacking in glue, so much that the UK agent encloses a slip of paper telling you to squirt more glue into the cracks and re iron all the edges of the covering! Having said that, they supply all the hardware needed, Fuel tank, push rods, U/C wheels etc. You only need servo's, RX, Engine & Prop. The handbook is first class.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:12 PM
OUTCAST

If your looking for the best value for the dollar there are three that stand above the rest, Kangke, Yellow and World. There are some other Good ARF's on the market, but the post is about brands not specific planes. All the planes sold by these three are good products, the customer service is good {sometimes excellent}, replacement parts are available and fit.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:00 PM
robert

All the Zn line ARTF's are out of this world. I saw their Madness aswell, and it is simply awsome. nothing i have seen compares to them.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:13 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, it is difficult to judge a kit by it's brand name only. Best example is Great Planes. I think their AT-6 is one of the greats, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a good looking, great flying, rugged first warbird with retracts, and/ or sport plane.
At the other end is their printed foamboard covered ARFs, which include the Corsair and the discontinued Zero. These are ugly (plastic trim does not match printed foamboard in color AND is conyour), easily dinged, difficult to repair the dings, and overweight. The .40 size, 6 lb Zero that I had needed 2 oz prop spinner in addition to 18 oz YS.53 motor up front to get it balanced. And final weight, despite my best efforts to keep it light: 7 lbs, 2 oz. I can't image this plane ever being able to fly with a .40, unless even more weight is added. The Great Planes .40 size Corsair ARF is simular, usually weighs in excess of 8 lbs. So, Great Planes does indeed make some good ARFs, but they also make some terrible ones.
Kyosho has shown great consistency lately, and probably has the most authentic/ scale looks in their warbirds, as well as keeping them light.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Aero-works: I've had very good experience with their ARFs. One of the best ARF brands.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:45 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Lanier? I just finished a Stinger 60 have not flown it yet but it went together well.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Flyfalcons

I have assembled 3 Kyosho ARFs and think they are very high quality. They are expensive but you do get your money's worth.

Kangke/Super Kraft gets my vote for best value for the dollar. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their ARFs. I have flown the Cap 1.20 and .60 and both performed very well. The 1.20 size was very solid in a Harrier. Build quality is very good.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Epic / Vector Flight

The Vector Flight / Epic offerings are exceptional. Good assembly & covering, and fly great.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 05-27-2003, 01:07 AM
GRANT ED

Iv'e had two Thunder tiger ARF's over the years. The first being a Sport flier 40L. The second being a Cloud dancer. The difference between the two is surprising. They were bought about 7 years apart and it looks as though TT made some big improvements in quality over this time. The sport flier flew OK but its quality of build was not great.I pulled out the wheel blocks from the wings so many times that i eventually moved them to the fuse. This plane eventually died after I did a high speed pass one day. I pulled up at the end of the runway and turned hard. The plane went left and the bulkhead and engine kept going straight.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:15 AM
SnowOwl
My Feedback: (1)

To JBFlier, Post #6

I don't know if this works, I just saw it when I was reading something else.

"ET GLUE
Tony Cincotta of Saturn Hobbies of Australia like most of us found that the new super type glues were a real benefit when building our models, and being a prolific builder he used them a lot. He then noticed that he was starting to get an allergic reaction not only to CA glue, but epoxy as well. It became so bad that when he used them he would end up in the hospital for a few days, so he decided to do something about it. He worked quite a few years with different formulas and finally found one that is very user friendly. He can now use CA glue with absolutely no effect, and he has made it available to the general modeler. If you find yourself in the same situation then you owe it to yourself to try some. It's the same as thick CA and takes about 15 to 20 seconds to set up, but when hit with the kicker it sets up in just a few seconds with no flashing out to irritate your eyes, or nose. The CA glue for the 21st century is here.
2 oz bottle is $9.95 + shipping and handling.
For further information, or to order contact:
Art Grabow SR
Saturn Hobbies of Washington
(425) 290-6913
[email protected] "
Old 05-27-2003, 01:17 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

I've built about 15 arfs in the last 3 years. The best were by Hangar 9 and Great Planes (Sig also very good), and the worst was hands-down the offerings (or should I say "droppings") by Cermark.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

I have only assembled ARF's from World Models but find them great. Picking up a CMPro P40 on Thursday so I might have an opinion on that by Saturday.

Col
Old 05-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Bearzilla
My Feedback: (17)

I did extensive research on what's out there for WWI/Golden ARF scale models and decided to take a chance on K&W/3 Sea Bees models. I was very plesantly surprised by the quality of the 1915 Albatros C1 I ordered. Sturdy and true construction, very high detail for an ARF, and real Solartex covering. (Not to mention the fact that the Albatros is covered in real wood veneer like the original.

I had some questions regarding engine istallation and gave 3 Sea Bees a call. They were both courteous and helpful (and even emailed me a few days later to find out how I made out). GOOD customer service.

I've got a couple more of their planes now - The 1917 Bristol F2B and a 1912 Blackburn D Monoplane. Both are excellent quality and the blackburn was especially a bargain for the level of auality detail in this ARF. I've been so happy with their planes that I've got a Sopwith Triplane on backorder for July.

Check out the attached pic of when I unpacked the Albatros.

BTW...I'm considering a golden age plane and I'm debating either the Kangke Monocoupe or the Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y. Any ideas which is the better plane?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82470_31094.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	47872  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.