Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Thanks Nappy! I've got the 120AX on my Venus II, and it does rocket out of sight in under 6 seconds! 9lb plane there. I love the AX engines - they're easy! Maybe I'll consider one for this NP Yak, too. I definitely like the price point of the AX over the Saito, and being honest with myself, as much as I'd like to try a four stroke, I think the big two stroke fits my flying style.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM
nappy99

I am going to put a perry pump on mine...just to be sure it will not dead stick while in a hover an inch off the ground
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
maukaonyx

Just opened my NP Yak that came by brown today, and I am totally in awe of the quality of the build and the covering. Personally this is the best ARF I have ever bought and received. AND the great thing is that it is so light in my hands. I will need to use the heat gun on a few places, but the wrinkles are few and far between. My pumped OS 120 Surpass will haul this around with ease. I managed to get that engine last year for just $135 plus SH on eBay, so this is going to be one of my cheapest planes to get in the air, yet it will in all likelihood be one of the best flying. (Yes, I ran it on the test stand and it flat out hauled.) Looking forward to getting this combo in the air, but it's in the queue behing a Modeltech P-47 and a BME 30% Extra 330L. This Yak looks so good though, that it might move up ahead of the Extra. Jon
Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Jetdesign

Great to hear! Mine will be here on Monday and I'm totally looking forward to it, although it won't be assembled until December.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Jetdesign

Does anyone know if the stock 120AX muffler will fit in this plane? Will it fit horizontally with the 90* adapter?

I was just reading the reviews about the Saito 125 and a few people said it uses a lot of fuel. If that's the case, I see no reason not to put an AX in the plane - more power, same weight, equivalent fuel consumption? I totally LOVE my 120AX
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM
nappy99

the OS has way more power than Saito. Even the Saito 180 is only 2.8 hp and the OS 120AX is 3.1HP and about 20% lighter. Go with OS
Old 10-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Jetdesign

What is recommended for muffler - stock or Pitts? I'm going with the AX
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: nappy99

the OS has way more power than Saito. Even the Saito 180 is only 2.8 hp and the OS 120AX is 3.1HP and about 20% lighter. Go with OS
Advertised HP ratings mean almost nothing. What matters is the torque that the engine produces, the prop it will turn and the thrust that prop will produce for a given style of flying.

There are situations where one engine will outperform another regardless of a horsepower figure used by a marketing department..

The OS 1.20-AX is a GREAT engine, no doubt about it but I would not be so quick to dismiss the Saito 1.25 for this application. People run big 4-strokes, especially on 3D planes, for a reason.

I'm sure either engine will work well for this plane but each will have it's own unique characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 PM
nappy99

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: nappy99

Advertised HP ratings mean almost nothing. What matters is the torque that the engine produces, the prop it will turn and the thrust that prop will produce for a given style of flying.

There are situations where one engine will outperform another regardless of a horsepower figure used by a marketing department..

The OS 1.20-AX is a GREAT engine, no doubt about it but I would not be so quick to dismiss the Saito 1.25 for this application. People run big 4-strokes, especially on 3D planes, for a reason.

I'm sure either engine will work well for this plane but each will have it's own unique characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
THAT IS TRUE, but the 120 AX runs in the same RPM range as Saito, so the OS120AX produces power more like a 4 stroke. Someone at our club had a Funtana X100 with Saito 150, it did fly well with decent vertical. I bought the plane off him, poped in my OS120AX, and it had unlimited vertical, it pulled much better than Saito 150. Just my experience. I do have a Saito 100, nice engine too.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Jetdesign

Yes my 120AX with a 16x8 prop pulled my Venus off the ground almost into a vertical - it's an animal of an engine even in the lower RPM zone. People have even suggested swinging a 17x6 with this engine. Also if fuel consumption is not drastically different between the two, the price point of the AX makes it a little more favorable.

Either way I probably won't get an engine until January, and if you've followed any of my posts you know I could say AX now and Saito by the end of the day

I still would like to know what muffler would work in this plane IF I were to use the AX.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
nappy99

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Yes my 120AX with a 16x8 prop pulled my Venus off the ground almost into a vertical - it's an animal of an engine even in the lower RPM zone. People have even suggested swinging a 17x6 with this engine. Also if fuel consumption is not drastically different between the two, the price point of the AX makes it a little more favorable.

Either way I probably won't get an engine until January, and if you've followed any of my posts you know I could say AX now and Saito by the end of the day

I still would like to know what muffler would work in this plane IF I were to use the AX.
I use stock muffler (POWER BOX), I run the engine on Wildcat 20% (20% oil), and I swing APC 17x4W, great prop for 3D, just don't go past 1/2 throttle in level flight I have played with 16x6, 17x6, 16.5 x 5, and favorite is APC 17x4 W. Its like being in low gear, when going vertical with gravty pulling a 10lb straight down (no aid of lift from wings), this prop hauls ass !!!! For pattern not a good prop (over revs), i'd use 17x6 for pattern, but serious 3D, go 17x4W, and keep it a bit rich (I set 9300 MAX RPM). Stock muffler seems to work well, mounted with pitts mount, see photos in my Funtana. I opened up cowl, get good airflow for those hot days [8D].

I really like this set up in my Funtana, 9.5lb plane, hovered under 1/2 throttle, would pull out great at 3/4 throttle, at full throttle it was out of sight in about 5 seconds !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68609.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1059374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60539.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1059375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21404.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1059376  
Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
nappy99

OH YA, I didn't bother with spinner either, don't need the extra weight at tip of plane, I just reverse starter rubber, works just as good as a spinner for starting.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Jetdesign

Ok, thanks. I'm more pattern than 3D, so I might prop the plane a little differently. If I end up with the AX I'll make sure to get the version with the muffler. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
kochj

Just chiming in....

I have a 1.20 ax as well... Great engine....

Mine is piped and power is unreal...!
You can put many diff. props on it, but I have found the 17X6 to work out well... Have not tried the 17X4W will have to try it sometime....

All I can add, is that the tuned pipe placing the power on a entirely new level....
Keep the header long enough so that it isn't pipey.

I don'y have this plane but I had a very heavy CG yak 67" (10+ pounds and it really hauled (not just fast, but powerfull)
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 AM
nappy99

ORIGINAL: kochj

Just chiming in....

I have a 1.20 ax as well... Great engine....

Mine is piped and power is unreal...!
You can put many diff. props on it, but I have found the 17X6 to work out well... Have not tried the 17X4W will have to try it sometime....

All I can add, is that the tuned pipe placing the power on a entirely new level....
Keep the header long enough so that it isn't pipey.

I don'y have this plane but I had a very heavy CG yak 67" (10+ pounds and it really hauled (not just fast, but powerfull)
can you send me link for this pipe, I am looking at a pipe as I broke the power box in a crash !
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
captinjohn

It is nice to hear all this data on how great engines run....can we please get more data about the NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54? That is kinda what this thread is about. Thanks P.S. NITRO YAK 54
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

It is nice to hear all this data on how great engines run....can we please get more data about the NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54? That is kinda what this thread is about. Thanks P.S. NITRO YAK 54
Engines are part of the planes.....
In fact, I think that if you look at the forums, about 50% or more of the topic IS about engine selection.

Go ahead and talk about the plane,,,, Just don't tell me what engine you placed in it..... You need to start a whole new forum for that in the Nitro engines forum>>????

I don't agree with you logically on that one...

And right now, most threads are dying off due to the ending of the flying season.... so I think anything related is needed to keep the conversation interesting....

nappy99

It is a macs muffled tuned pipe.... You can go with a muffled or strait.. Muffled are more exspensive though.
Unfortianatly, Tower does not have a header for the 1.20 ax any more.... They used to but you have to get it at Macs home page.... you just pay a little more for it....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ563&P=7 strait pipe
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ572&P=7 muffled

http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp header.. You can decide what length you need for your application. The Ex-long places the pipe almost completely on the bottom of the planes fuse.... If you go smaller you may have to cut into the bottom of the fuse....
looks good, just more work...

Here is a company that is know for there awsome cf pipes....
http://www.escomposites.com/

There is a guy who can make custom wrap around headers for your engine as well.... Carl Muller..(I may have his last name spelled wrong) He as a website, just don't have a link right now.....

You can also go with a tuned pipe off a OS. 140RX pattern engine, I just havn't tried that....
Hope that helps

Justin
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Jetdesign

I agree about the engine thing - maybe this plane flies great with a 120AX, and a 120 Surpass is not enough or something - the weight, power, and torque curve of the engine will greatly affect the flight characteristics of the plane. It doesn't seem like there are many people who have flown this plane on the forum - just a few, so if there are no responses to specific flight characteristics I feel like discussing the proper power plant for the plane is appropriate.

Personally I don't have the need for the pipe. I've got the 120AX on a 9lb plane and there is stupid amounts of power, so no need to spend more money for a little more power. Of course I don't fly 3D, and it's all about personal preference.

Maybe a pipe on a 120 or 125 two stroke would be appropriate for my tastes? Plane should be here today - waiting for the brown plane delivery machine any minute
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Jetdesign

It came!!! Like others have said, its the best looking plane I've ever received (this is my first year but my 6th plane - I've had 2 from Great Planes, two from Phoenix, and one from Hobbico). I only saw one 'wrinkle' so far, and it was the kind that disappears in a second with the heat gone - no creases like I found on the Great Planes coverings (all of them).

No damage do the box, well packaged, well covered, beautiful design. Directions are incredibly comprehensive with photographs of an identical airframe

The airframe is assembled with the laser cutouts like a puzzle. I will definitely reinforce with glue where I see fit, but small price to pay for a beautiful $200 aircraft.

Hinges are installed but not glued - they are plastic pin hinges. Small wheels will be replaced, cowl looks great, canopy looks great.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
Directions are incredibly comprehensive with photographs of an identical airframe
That's because they are ripped off from someone else.

The airframe is assembled with the laser cutouts like a puzzle.
That's pretty much how most ARF's and many kits are constructed these days.

What kind of covering does it appear to be? I've seen a lot of the low-end ARF's have nice covering out of the box but it quickly wrinkles, peels and/or separates after a few times at the field. Hopefully it is Oracover/Ultracoat and this won't happen.

What is the diameter of the cowl?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
maukaonyx

Cowl diameter is a little over 7.5". COvering looks like Ultracote...I am not real sure, but is lots nicer quality of film than on my CMPro Giles 202. Jon
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
kochj

Sounds like it may not be ultracote, but have the same color so you are able to make patches w/o having them look unsightly...

My Carl Goldberg Yak 67" was like that.... It wasn't ultracote (good quality chinacote?) but the colour matched exactly to the Ultracote covering colours.

Unfortianatly the qulity wasn't quite on par w/o Ultrcote....

Many people have flown this plane, but this one is in a diff. color scheme... and is a touchy subject...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
octanehuffer

Thank Quique for the quality design, and Reza(Quique's field tester) for the instruction manual. Look at the pdf for Quique's plane. Same instructions huh. Buying this plane is no different than buying stolen merchandise from the back of some guys Cadillac, that belonged to someone else. Actually a misdemeanor. For some reason NP gets away with it. I hope that every person in thier staff wets the bed tonight.
The ripoff plane was supposed to be in Ultra cote. Perhaps NP decided to steal the Ultracote recipe and make their own.

http://www.qqaircraft.com/images/69_manual.pdf
If you have any questions about the build you can always resort to Quique' forum support about the 69" Yak. Same plane. Same results.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
kochj

That topic has been talked about since 3-1-2008....

I love qq planes.... Right now the price of his 69" yak is reduced and if you like the scheme and want to support the US.... It is worth it....

By the time you get the CF wingtube and put a nice scheme on it, ship it, It is almost the same price......

I am not going to say anything more..... It is beating a dead horse....
Not someting I am willing to do..
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Jetdesign

It's not even close to the same price, and the 73" is on sale, not the 69".

Is it really totally worth it to replace the aluminum tube with CF? Is CF stronger or just lighter?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.