Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
octanehuffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

The CF tube is stronger and lighter.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

It's not even close to the same price, and the 73" is on sale, not the 69".
At $200, if you add a different wing joiner tube, replace the covering with quality Oracover/Ultracote, replace the wheels and any other inadequate hardware, the price will start climbing. It would probably be within $50-$75 of the QQ plane by the time you did all that.

I've always wanted a QQ Yak. I actually thought about buying the NP Yak because of the $199 price but, after looking at the price for upgrading and considering that it is an unauthorized copy, I have changed my mind. I'd much rather pay up front and get good hardware & covering and put my money in the pocket of those who worked hard to do the design and development of the plane.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The only thing I'd need to buy is the tube. I've got extra wheels, and they're not that expensive. Most of the hardware is identical to the other similar plane - it's definitely not $200 worth of upgrading. Maybe a couple of dollars worth of screws, but everything else looks really good (horns, pull/pull, etc.)

I think a less expensive plane is a good choice for someone in their first -> second year of flying; I'd love to get the 'nicer' plane, but just can't justify spending over $450 (shipping) for an airframe. There's no way the NP airframe will cost over $300 even with upgrades and shipping.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
ChuckW

Definitely a good choice for someone in their first -> second year of flying
I definitely understand that price can be a big factor when selecting an airplane. Whenever I have tried to save money however I've always spent more in the long run or ended up with an inferior airplane. Hopefully this NP Yak is a different story. Also keep in mind that just because hardware and other stuff might look the same, it doesn't mean that it is. Again, that hopefully won't be the case with this plane.

I do have to disagree with your statement above though. Except for perhaps a few rare individuals there is no way that a 1.20 size, fully 3-D capable Yak-54 is a good idea for a first year pilot. Even a lot of second year pilots might be pushing it. I've seen the video that was posted in the beginner's forum and you are definitely more capable than most pilots with similar experience levels. You have to remember though that most other folks aren't as fortunate.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen 8 year old kids flying Cardin,s ...ect. The 60" YAK 54 could easy be flown by a first year pilot. He just has to make sure it is set up right...with real soft slower control surfaces. Also he would need a competent instructor. Lear the more difficult stuff as you go. I have taught 23 people how to fly...my latest techniques make it very easy. Capt,n
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I definitely understand that price can be a big factor when selecting an airplane. Whenever I have tried to save money however I've always spent more in the long run or ended up with an inferior airplane. Hopefully this NP Yak is a different story. Also keep in mind that just because hardware and other stuff might look the same, it doesn't mean that it is. Again, that hopefully won't be the case with this plane.

I do have to disagree with your statement above though. Except for perhaps a few rare individuals there is no way that a 1.20 size, fully 3-D capable Yak-54 is a good idea for a first year pilot. Even a lot of second year pilots might be pushing it. I've seen the video that was posted in the beginner's forum and you are definitely more capable than most pilots with similar experience levels. You have to remember though that most other folks aren't as fortunate.
Yeah, this plane for me is really just to prove to myself that I'm ready to spend $400 on an airframe, and when I am comfortable with that I may be giving the designer of this plane some business.

I definitely understand this plane is not for beginners. I asked my instructors, club president and VP a lot of questions about this, and sent them emails and links to these planes before I made the decision to buy. Everyone seems to think I'm not taking a big chance here. I do seem to progress quickly; that video I posted was of my first weekend flying the Venus, just getting to know the plane and not even tuned up or broken in. I've had the opportunity to burn about 16 gallons of fuel this season which has everything to do with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
ChuckW

16 gallons? Do you fly every day? That's my dream to be able to do that. The stupid job, wife and house keep getting in the way though. Of course without them I'd probably be some derelict sitting in a bar somewhere unable to have an airplane anyhow so I'd better not complain too much.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Jetdesign

I flew a lot right up until the semester started; I've been out 3 times since mid-september. i definitely choose my airplanes over the bars.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
kochj

same boat...
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Rocketman_

Upgrade what, and for what?
The hardware? The picture shows the hardware provided with the Nitro Planes 69" Yak and it is adequate for the task. This type of linkage setup is not unique to just one ARF vender. The push rods are aluminum.

The Covering? Not many of us will tear off a 4-color covering scheme from an ARF and replace it just for the heck of it. Coverings peel from the more expensive models also. We just complain and find ways to stop the progress of the peeling.

The wing tube? I agree that it should be replaced with harder aluminum or a carbon fiber tube.
You might want to precisely measure the tube diameter but it appears to be about 3/4" or 19mm.
Troy Built Models lists a tube measuring 3/4" x 30" .035" wall (1.7 oz for 30" ), $16.99
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...wingtubes.html

If anyone knows of other sources for carbon fiber tubes it might be helpful to post them in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25816.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1061575  
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Jetdesign

I think wing tube, wheels and axles, and maybe the engine mount bolts.

Those Troy Built tubes are a great deal if they fit; I'll have to dig out my plane again and measure the tube. Of course there's one for $20 from a two-lettered plane designer's website that should fit nicely.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Hah, I can't believe I missed that! I meant a less expensive airframe in general, not this plane! Changed it.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I flew a lot right up until the semester started; I've been out 3 times since mid-september. i definitely choose my airplanes over the bars.
Very good ....bars are for loosers.....keep on flying all you can. Believe it or not....we had a Young guy we took in to my Friend's shop and helped him build a .23 powered Super pacer. We talked about flying quite a bit. When it was time for him to fly....he flew good right from day one. On about 2ND flight he started to do loops...then rolls and right into some knife edge flight. We was shocked... no computers then...he had in his mind what to do and did it. He went on to fly every kind of airplane you can think of!!! I have 2 other guys that seen this that first day. It took me a lot longer to lear to fly RC.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:34 PM
kochj

The wing tube is the exact same as the qq 69" yak54..... Everything is exchangeable....
Is the gear fiberglass or alum...??

My 69er will be hear on monday.... Hope to get it built and up in the air before it snows...
Old 11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Very good ....bars are for loosers.....keep on flying all you can. Believe it or not....we had a Young guy we took in to my Friend's shop and helped him build a .23 powered Super pacer. We talked about flying quite a bit. When it was time for him to fly....he flew good right from day one. On about 2ND flight he started to do loops...then rolls and right into some knife edge flight. We was shocked... no computers then...he had in his mind what to do and did it. He went on to fly every kind of airplane you can think of!!! I have 2 other guys that seen this that first day. It took me a lot longer to lear to fly RC.
To take this a step further, I found myself with a flying buddy from my club inside a Cessna 150 today - let's just say that my time flying RC planes has MORE than paid for itself!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: kochj

Is the gear fiberglass or alum...??
It is a one-piece fiberglass gear. It holds up well under lousy dead stick landings in the rough. It actually flexes during those bad landings but that tends to crack the white gel coat surface finish.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
kochj

Got mine yesterday..... Everything looks fab....
No complaints here.....
Hardware looks Top notch!....as good as EF, Aw...
look forward to flying it..... I think it will quickly become one of my favorite (smaller) planes.....

Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Jetdesign

How many elevator servos for this plane, only 1? Or is there a cutout to do 2? I had to bury my plane under a bunch of crap in the storage room to keep me from trying to put it together during the semester so I can't look at it.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Rocketman_

How many elevator servos for this plane, only 1? Or is there a cutout to do 2?
One servo and only one cutout.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:42 AM
kochj

So you guys know.... No need to place the hinges in anyfurther that they are allowed ot go..... Just make sure you seal you hing gaps!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98463.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1073049  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Jetdesign

I'm trying to pick out a muffler for this plane (120AX).

I like the Slimline Q series as it's only 2.x ounces, but does anyone know how this plane balances? If I use a light muffler will I be adding weight to compensate?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
octanehuffer

Just like every other ARF. Move the battery.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
ChuckW

I'm trying to pick out a muffler for this plane (120AX).

I like the Slimline Q series as it's only 2.x ounces, but does anyone know how this plane balances? If I use a light muffler will I be adding weight to compensate?

Thanks.
How a plane balances will vary even on the same model, from the same manufacturer. This is due to things like wood density, who was applying the glue that day and so on.

Choose the components you want to use then place things like receiver batteries as necessary to achieve the desired CG. Only add weight as a last resort. Even then, I'd rather add a second receiver battery or something useful instead of just lead that serves no real function. Of course there are those rare times when lead is unavoidable.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
y2k6vette

Ordered mine on Black Friday...great price...plan on using an MVVS 26cc gasser with tuned pipe. Should move along well. Scheduled to arrive sometime next week, but the weather is getting too cold for old fingers, so it probably won't fly 'til spring.

Steve
Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve you got a great deal yesterday...just $137!!! I was tempted to get another, but did not, and I see those are gone off the page for the Black Friday (and Saturday) sale, so you done good!!!! I paid the full $199 just three weeks ago. Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.