Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Tom Nied

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

What a delightful winter scene. Chuckle chuckle chuckle. I feel your pain. I got lucky last week with temps at 51. We got a dusting of snow last night. The building season continues. Cut out some AMA numbers from some MonoKote and identify your plane. Nice easy evening project.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, thanks for the report. Sounds good except for the inverted flight. I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't fly inverted better. I wasn't expecting the issue you have with snap rolling at the first sign of signal input to the rudder or ailerons. Did you build yours with a single or dual ailerons?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
eric_f

It has dual servos. I was surprised as well. I looked it over and it doesn't seem to be out of whack anywhere. I'll have to try more inverted flight at a high altitude to get the hang of it. It just seemed like it wanted to snap back around for some reason. Straight line, fine. Negative G, unstable, wants to snap the bottom to the outside of the maneuver. I'm talking pull-ups from straight and level upside down flight and inverted loops. Inverted turns are fine, but kinda "bobbly" if you know what I'm getting at. Maybe the axial CG is too low in the plane? I'll play with it more tomorrow hopefully. Work kept me late today :P

Could being slightly nose heavy do it? I put a prop nut on there to make it a little more docile and move the CG forward a tad for the maiden flights, maybe 1/4." At first I was thinking no, but if it noses out, the rest of the plane will follow.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Tom Nied

I can't say that I'm knowledgeable enough to analyze what you're describing because it sounds like you're a fairly accomplished flier more than myself. But, what I've noticed in the planes I have flown, setting the CG at where the manufacturer suggests has made a considerable difference on how they fly. They take off better, handle better, and land better. I think you would certainly benefit by getting the CG as close to where Great Planes suggests it should be. 2 1/2" behind the leading edge.

And guys, I'm sorry I chime in so often, but the Escapade has really captured my interest. I certainly don't claim to have all the answers and hope I don't bore the group. I should probably become more of a listener.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

I can't say that I'm knowledgeable enough to analyze what you're describing because it sounds like you're a fairly accomplished flier more than myself. But, what I've noticed in the planes I have flown, setting the CG at where the manufacturer suggests has made a considerable difference on how they fly. They take off better, handle better, and land better. I think you would certainly benefit by getting the CG as close to where Great Planes suggests it should be. 2 1/2" behind the leading edge.

And guys, I'm sorry I chime in so often, but the Escapade has really captured my interest. I certainly don't claim to have all the answers and hope I don't bore the group. I should probably become more of a listener.

you are right about the cg....just fly it like a sport plane and you'll be fine tom...its really not meant for precision flying any how, so dont get too technical with it, you'll definitely find flaws if you try.....balance it by the book and youll have a nice relaxing flyer
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
flynte

Got back at it, and was quite surprised when I joined the wing together [X(], it has as much dihedral as my kit Kadet Senior that I built that I took 1/2 of it out.

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90584.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1149502  
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
flyman1
My Feedback: (1)

HI.
Been wondering how a 53 enya 4 stroke, would do ?
thanks for the input.
len.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 AM
e30pq

I started building my Escapade this evening.

This is my first ARF build so I can't compare the kit to anything at this point.

I checked all of my hinges and they all look well glued out of the box. I will however wick some thin CA just as a precaution. The elevator bar seems to be well attached on my plane.

I skipped the main wing build steps for tonight. I plan on re-reading this thread to review what some have done to strengthen the main wing. For starters I plan on using epoxy to glue the wing together.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
ptuxbury

I finally got my cowl, engine, and spinner mounted, and I thought you all might want to see what it looks like. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

I just have to screw on the wheel pants, and set up my control surface throws, and I'm ready to fly. Oh yeah, except for the 10 inches of snow outside. =)

Name:	Lj23372.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1150442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63634.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1150443  
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
MetallicaJunkie

looks good, it'll look even better with wheel pants
Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Tom Nied

That looks sweet ptux. Did you have to slit the cowl right behind the cylinder in order to get it on? Or am I just seeing a line there?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
ptuxbury

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I had to slit the cowl behind the head in order to get it on. There's pretty much no way to get it over the head. Cutting fiberglass makes me itchy. Actually, just thinking about cutting fiberglass makes me itchy.

Despite my two young kids' best efforts to occupy every last second of my free time, I'm almost done with this plane. Can't wait to fly it.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Tom Nied

Will try to send some warmer weather toward you. Today we got up to 43 and I was able to get out with a SPAD Debonair, 7 flights. I was the only one out there.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 AM
seahwk95

ORIGINAL: ptuxbury

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I had to slit the cowl behind the head in order to get it on. There's pretty much no way to get it over the head. Cutting fiberglass makes me itchy. Actually, just thinking about cutting fiberglass makes me itchy.

Despite my two young kids' best efforts to occupy every last second of my free time, I'm almost done with this plane. Can't wait to fly it.

You know, they could market this as the arf for people with small children!!! I've referenced this before, but I was able to finish assembling this plane in about 3 weeks despite having a 3 year old and a newborn (delivered 3 days before the plane). I've had mine in the air a few times and initially it was very twitchy, then someone looking over the setup for me realized I had +50 expo (Futaba). Oops. Since then it's flown much more stable. Thanks to all of the folks who have posted their experiences so far with this plane!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Murdoc

I"m dying to get an Escapade! I love the way it looks and the fact that its all plug and play. No cowl, flaps, retract etc.
If I get the money, I will buy it right away. Lucky me, I`m starting in a new job next monday
Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM
bonebreak

I have mine 100% complete as of a couple hours ago. I can't fly because it is way too windy, but I did start the engine. I think it is going to be a rocket with the OS .46 that I have on it. It is about 1lb. lighter than my Cessna, and the Cessna is pretty fast too. The Escapade was shooting off like a rocket with very little throttle during my short taxi test. I can't wait to put her in the air!!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Tom Nied

bonebreak, post a picture(s) of it, we'd love to see it. We have the same plane, but show us yours if you can.

Me? Radio should be coming.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 AM
ptuxbury

I finally got around to balancing my Escapade today. I had to locate the battery in the same spot as eric_f did per Tom's suggestion. Even then I'm going to need a 1 oz spinner weight to get it to balance properly. I wonder why mine is so tail heavy. I did replace the stock tail gear with a Sullivan one, and even though it probably only weighs a tiny bit more, it is pretty much as far aft of the CG as possible. I thought for sure that it would be nose heavy with all that epoxy I put in the front of it, not to mention that I had to mount the engine about 1/4" further forward to fit the cowl. Then again, I did cut off the sides in front of the firewall per the instructions that came with the cowl.

I finally screwed the wheel pants on. Here is any updated picture.

Name:	Ig13518.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1151302  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Tom Nied

Looks great ptux. Always good to see an airplane in a state of completion. An ounce of noseweight isn't so bad. At least its not multiple ounces. Not too much room up front to move the battery any more forward.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

bonebreak, post a picture(s) of it, we'd love to see it. We have the same plane, but show us yours if you can.
Here are a few quick pictures I took this morning. Sorry they turned out so dark. I ended up putting a black nose cone on. I bought it awhile back, and never used it. I like how it looks a little better than the red, but I kept that one too.

Name:	Pm34902.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1151449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17461.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1151450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97952.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1151451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35277.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1151452  
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
ptuxbury

I stayed up extra late last night and set up my radio. I'm a little concerned about the horizontal stabilizer when the elevator throw is set to high rates (1 1/4"). I can see the stabilizer shift left and right slightly due to the force of the elevator trying to reach the limits. This is almost unnoticeable at low rates (3/4" throw). I suspect this won't be as bad when the hinges break in a bit. The horizontal stabilizer does fit into the fuselage, but I kind of wish it was aligned with something else (a couple of dowels, maybe?).

Anyway, it's all ready to go. Warmer weather and the daylight savings shift are on the way, so I'll be out at the field soon.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Tom Nied

Nice bonebreak. Looks good with the decals. Tidy install on the radio. Looks great.

Me, radio lost in shipping so it seems. [sm=sad_smile.gif]
Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Test flew mine yesterday...Nice airplane, however, on the taxi out , the little plastic insert on the rudder for steering broke and I was all over the runway[X(] but managed to get airborne. She's a ball in the air but a dog taxiing back ! I replaced the original Tailwheel stuff with DuBro stuff last night and flew again today... Tracks fine now.
Ugo
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
bonebreak

So are you stating that we need to change out our tailwheels to Dubro or Sullivan? I used the little hole in the plastic retainer on the rudder, however the book stated to put the wire in the slotted end. Which did you use? I was afraid one of the tabs may break if I inserted the wire in the slotted end. Was I right (is that what broke on yours?)?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Ugo Ferrari

I put the wire through the hole in the plastic thingy termed the "Post" in the bottom of the rudder Ref. Page 11. in the manual.
Ugo

'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.