Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Tom Nied

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Sounds a little confusing. If the Post broke or was lost, I'd be tempted to only replace the Post. If the Bushing broke, that could explain for poor tracking of the tailwheel. The Dubro tailwheel bracket or the Sullivan appear to be good upgrades. I kind of like the Sullivan, I've used one on an Avistar that I modified to a taildragger. Also those who do stick with the stock or upgrade, make sure the retainer holding the tailwheel is secured with some CA. RC Ken lost his tailwheel on the first flight because the retainer didn't hold.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
seahwk95
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Sounds a little confusing. If the Post broke or was lost, I'd be tempted to only replace the Post. If the Bushing broke, that could explain for poor tracking of the tailwheel. The Dubro tailwheel bracket or the Sullivan appear to be good upgrades. I kind of like the Sullivan, I've used one on an Avistar that I modified to a taildragger. Also those who do stick with the stock or upgrade, make sure the retainer holding the tailwheel is secured with some CA. RC Ken lost his tailwheel on the first flight because the retainer didn't hold.

I lost the retainer for my tail wheel before I even got it off the stand at the field the first time out. Luckily I found the retaining clip and made it thru the day. Lost it again in the car on the way home and jus replaced the retaining clip with a wheel collar. So far so good.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
e30pq

I finished building my Escapade last night and took her out for the maiden today.

Mods I added some plywood to both the wing index and the main wheel spars (under the fuel tank tray). I also added 2 braces between the wing index and main wheel spars. I used epoxy to fuel proof the area in around the fuel tank including the mods I just mentioned. I also used epoxy to glue the main wing together. I wicked CA into all of the hinges as a precaution although as I mentioned in an earlier post I could see the CA around each hinge when I inspected the plane out of the box. I should have taken pictures during the build but I got so obsessed with finishing the plane that I never remembered to pick up the camera.

Equipment My plane is powered by a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro with APC 11x7. I used dual aileron servos (Futaba 3004's I think). A 2500ma 4 cell NiMH battery (4.8 volt) mounted under the receiver. I needed a one ounce Harry Higley prop nut to balance the plane. I used all of the hardware that came with the kit except I used metal clevis's instead of the stock plastic ones and I used z bends instead of those 90 degree plastic things.

I'm new to flying RC. I built a Great Planes Trainer 60 kit about 12 years ago and never flew the plane. It sat in my garage unused with all my RC stuff that I purchased from back then. I started flying the last week of December 08 until now. I started flying an old Nexstar hand-me-down plane given to me from one of the guys at my club, with all the equipment I just put in the Escapade. I flew the Nexstar for 1.5 months. It was heavy from previous crashes but good to learn on. I currently fly the GP Trainer 60 that I built ages ago and now the Escapade. The GP Trainer 60 is fast but also heavy. I need to weigh it again but if feels like 7 or 8 lbs. It has a symmetrical wing and was considered an intermediate trainer back when they were selling it.

Back to the Escapade. I really like this plane. I setup the plane with high rate throws and setup my radio for dual rate on ailerons (75%) and elevator (80%). The Escapade feels really nimble in the air. I flew 4 flight today each one using about 3/4 tank of fuel. It was comfortable looping, rolling and flying inverted. I learned how to snap roll the plane and did quite a few of those today. My first attempt gave me 2 snap rolls in a flash. After that I would do at least 3 snap rolls at a time. Lets go back to my first flight today. I flew the plane about 3/4 throttle most of the flight. I used full throttle a couple of times while listening for flutter. I didn't hear any. A few rolls and loops during the first flight but I took it easy. The plane lands really easy no issues landing except I need to agree with the earlier post about the tail wheel. It handles a little twitchy on the ground due to the tail wheel. Keep in mind this is my first tail dragger and it could be me at this point but it might be worth trying a different tail wheel. I inspected the tail assembly after every flight and I didn't see any problems with the elevator wire or any stress on the tail what so ever. The rest of the flights were flown at 3/4 throttle and powered back on dives (quick on dives but not flat out). For me this plane is really easy to land. I've flown every weekend this year and today was the most fun thanks to this plane and the tips from all who have added to this thread.

ptuxbury you mentioned that your tail assemble moves with the higher rates. I had problems at first getting my stabalizer to index into the elevator assemble. The first time I installed them they wouldn't go all the way together. I pulled them apart, cleaned the area where the stabalizer fits into the elevator (there was some glue from the factory getting in the way). Once I cleaned the glue drips out the tail went together straight and strong.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Ugo Ferrari

My tail wheel aint coming off ! I used the cicular metal clip that is used with the square brass "Quick Connect"...Took me a while to get it on the axel, but it aint coming off ! Kept hitting my fingers with the hammer ! [X(]LOL !
Ugo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45729.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1153206  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Tom Nied

Very nice report e30pq. Glad to hear it went well.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
eric_f

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with tailwheel issues, lol!

Here was my solution: I just beefed up the solder on the springy wire to solid wire crimpy thing, then put the spring wire into a cut length of that "2.4 ghz antenna tube" suppied with the kit. After that, I used some tenacious vinyl tape to hold er in place. So far so good, and no more broken post holdin' me back :P If I had a LHS to run to within an hour's drive I would go, but sadly I've got to rig most of my own repairs. The tail isn't as bobbly as it was before, but I have a new setup on order from tower anyway. The stock one is kinda cheapie.

Name:	Us54073.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1153396  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 PM
chrisp32

hey i just got my escapade adn i see that some of you have cowls with yours, what is the part number for that? was it supposed to be included with mine? i think they look awesome and even better with the cowl.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 PM
7th Angel
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: flyman1

HI.
Been wondering how a 53 enya 4 stroke, would do ?
thanks for the input.
len.
I've been wondering the same thing.
Anybody?

7th Angel
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: chrisp32

hey i just got my escapade adn i see that some of you have cowls with yours, what is the part number for that? was it supposed to be included with mine? i think they look awesome and even better with the cowl.
The cowl is optional with the Escapade. See:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=GPMA1200&P=Z

Bruce
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Excellent fix Eric !
Ugo
Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
bonebreak

I thought the tailwheel felt kinda cheap. It has alot of side to side motion. I think I will replace the stock tail wheel with a Sullivan.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Tom Nied

7thAngel, I can't say it any better than bonebreak

quote]ORIGINAL: bonebreak

Copied this straight from Great Planes web site. Looks like it is on the low end, but should work.

Requires: 4-channel radio w/3-5 servos, 2-stroke .40-.55 or 4-stroke .52-.70 engine
[/quote]

Maybe some of the other guys are more familiar with the 53 enya 4 stroke
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
eric_f

I'm sure it'd fly fine with that 4-stroke. Don't expect power to pull you out of a hairy situation low to the deck though lol. I'm flyin mine with a TT GP-42, and some have used an O.S. 40 LA and it's plenty of motor for casual flying. It won't tear up the sky, but that's not what the escapade is meant to do
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
McChiken

I just got one last week and am putting a Saito82 on it . Hope the airframe holds up . My ultrastick did until I taught it how to do cartwheels . I'll deffinately have to get a tail wheel and 86 the kits . Sounds like everything else is good to go .

Everybody using the 2 servo setup on the wing? Probly get a little more throw that way and flaperons .
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM
ptuxbury

e30pq, to respond to your thoughts on my tail assembly, I belive I had the vertical and horizontal stabilizers seated together firmly (there is no gap between the two), but maybe I'll unfasten it and check on it again. The stabilizer doesn't move much at high rates, but enough where I noticed it.

Since Tom and bonebreak mentioned the Sullivan tail gear, I figured I'd post a picture of mine. I had to shorten the mounting bracket in order to clear the hole where the stabilizer threaded standoffs come through the bottom of the fuse. It only required cutting the last mounting hole off (you'll see what I mean in the photo). The hole closest to the pivot is fastened to fuse with a wood screw. I was able to fasten the hole furthest away from the pivot with a machine screw and nut on the inside of the fuse. I got the one for 5-12 lb range.

Hearing the stories about tail wheels falling off, I think I'll grind a little flat in the tail gear, and locktite the set screw into the collar. I meant to do it before, but forgot as I continued with the build. I'm glad the discussion came up again to jog my memory.

I weighed my finished plane (with the extra 1 oz nose weight), and it came out to 5 lbs 5 oz. Pretty good, I think.

-ptux

Name:	Mj24676.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1154276  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 AM
e30pq

Thanks for posting the photo of the Sullivan tail wheel install.

I need one of those.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Gary27

Dear readers, I am planning of getting one of these for my own.
I would like to know if an OS 40LA is sufficient as a power source?
And what is the size of the aileron and engine pushrods (I think 2-56 but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going te replace them with Sullivan Gold'ns)
Are the installed pushrod tubes big enough to house the outer tube of the RED Sullivan flex pushrods?
It will also be flown with dual ailerons.

But this plane seems to have some teething problems..?
Although it isnt noticed in the manual people dont seem to glue the wings together and wonder why they fly of? I will epoxy mine together and ad a strip of glass cloth, as I have done with all my ARF's wings.. That should take care of that. Another thing is the fixation of the wing at the leading edge: The SIG 4Star40 ARF uses the same method so is it really that bad (oke, if it breaks of when you touch it it is)?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Hi Gary ! That LA 40 will be fine ! I'm flying my Escapade with a 10 yr. old OS .40FS ! More than enough power. My wing are NOT glued together and it does not seem to be a problem. I think the epoxy and glass will be overkill ! What if you need to replace a wing?
I replace the throttle wire with flexible cable. I thought the wire was to stiff. The plywood "tongues" on the Wing Leading Edges seem adequate. I Stiffened them up with some CA.
No, the Red outer Golden Rod will NOT fit inside the installed tubes, but the yellow rod Will !
Ugo
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Tom Nied

Ugo, just curious, did you have to add nose weight using that OS 40 FS?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
bonebreak

I got my Sullivan tail gear installed tonight, and the rear of the plane is much more rigid now. There is very little (if any) side to side movement like with the stock set-up. I used the plastic retainer for the wire, as well as bending it and inserting it into the rudder like the directions specify. It is super sturdy. I got a rubber wheel also. The foam on the tail wheel felt very soft and I was afraid it would come apart on an asphalt runway. Now if the dang wind would calm down so I could fly it, I could give another flight report.[:@]
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Ugo Ferrari

No added weight necessary.. I just pushed the engine as far foward as possible, 3/8" shy of the end of the mount. I did however place the battery under the tank against the firewall and used a heavy 11x5 APC prop. It came out a little nose heavy matter of fact !

Ugo
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Gary27

Thank you for the comment!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 AM
hairy46

Wow what a great plane! Mine come in a week ago only opened the box and it looks like an easy build! Two stripes on one wing none on the other, I like that these old eyes will see that better! will be putting an OS 46 AX in it down lower I would just put a 40 but being in Wyoming we have to bump up the motor to get out of them what you down lower elevation get out of a 40, looks like a it will be lots of kicks at the field
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 AM
hairy46

Thank you! I enjoyed reading your post!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Ugo Ferrari

I added a couple of stars to help these old eyes !
Ugo

Name:	Ec89775.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1157365  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.