Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Thank you! Thats good to know for other fixes on the head or block of an RC motor! I have never fixed one with it yet but I know if a problem had come up that would have been my first choice! Bob
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

hmm, what's the chance raw fuel is going to end up there? Probably extremely rare. Castor oil maybe.

Congratulations guys, we've made it to page 15! And we have lots to share yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ptuxbury

I used JB Weld to put a little lip around the end of the muffler exhaust port (kind of what the stock OS 55AX muffler looks like). That way in order for the exhaust extension to fall off the plane it would have to work its way up over that ridge (which it can't do with the cable tie holding it on).
Thats a good idea putting the lip on the tip . Another thing is to cut a slot on the portion that goes over the muffler . With a slot cut where the clamp or tie rap is , it will allow the material in the deflector to sinch up tighter .
Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 PM

I have never used JB weld around the rc fuel so really do not know what efect it has on it! But building up a lip does sound like a good idea! Bob
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM

Hmmm... the only reason I used JB Weld is because I did a search a while back on keeping an exhaust deflector attached to a muffler, and a lot of people have used the JB Weld idea with good success. What is the Methanol content of the exhausted fuel anyway? I have to imagine that it is much lower than the fuel going into the engine.

I noticed that the deflector did keep the plane a bit cleaner. My right wing and right side of the horizontal stabilizer still get nailed, but the rest of the plane remains pretty clean.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I will try the JB weld that stuff is awesome and if its been working for you that tells me something! Yes I do see a diffrence when I use a deflector in the clean up, I will keep using them! Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Beware that exhaust deflectors can be a double edged sword. I use them on a number of my planes without any real problems, but occasionally you might run into an engine that it acts like a tuned (or untuning) pipe. I have an old Tower .40 bushing engine (made by Thunder Tiger in those days I believe) it is essentially an OS .40FP clone. My OS .40FP loves an exhaust extension, but the Tower would not transition correctly with the extension. If it was correct for the low speed, it was too lean for high and if correct for high, it would load up and deadstick at idle. No adjusting of the needle or airbleed seemed to correct it until my friend borrowed the engine for one of his planes. Ran like a champwhat did he do? Took off the exhaust deflector. Got the engine back last year and put it on my GP Extra Special (that I finally finished after 7 yrs.). Would not run with deflector once again-same old problems. Took the deflector off-unstoppable! Just my $.02.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Have not had problems with them but if I get a motor that wont run I would now take it off an see if that was the problem first rather then go else where first, Thanks for letting us have your 0.02! Do you notice a cleaner plane with them? I know I sure do! Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM

Ddewey, You need to raise your price to .10 . Due to inflation from the last stimulis package .

You are right though on the 2-stokes . I heard 4-bangers don't really care how long the pipe is though . Wondering if what I was told holds truth ?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Got mine 3-27-09 looks great, I'm puttin a TT .46 pro on mine. The screw-on tail has me a little worried about engine oil soaking into the wood in that area. I may epoxy it on to seal it. I also got the Cox Giles 202 with a magnum .52 4 stroke. I wonder if I should switch the engines? Any thoughts guys??
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM

I do not think I would epoxy it so that you can change the part's if needed! I used Sig super coat fuel proofer in area's that looked to need it. I am using a OS 46 AX I feel for the wing span that that will be more then enough! They are great looking planes when finished! I may have to put ski's on mine to go fly it, we have snow lots of snow and there is snow in the forcast for tonight! Any one want to rent a room to me in a much warmer climate?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 PM

I do not think I would epoxy it so that you can change the part's if needed! I used Sig super coat fuel proofer in area's that looked to need it. I am using a OS 46 AX I feel for the wing span that that will be more then enough! They are great looking planes when finished! I may have to put ski's on mine to go fly it, we have snow lots of snow and there is snow in the forcast for tonight! Any one want to rent a room to me in a much warmer climate?[&o]
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM

I think it's a matter of opinion. I'm tempted to glue mine on. If it really needed to be replaced, I'd figure out how to cut just to the side of the glue line. Or just repair in place. I would rather have it on secure, and all other previous ARF's (even the ones with bolt on tailfeathers), I've glued. But that's just my opinion.

Haven't started mine yet, I'm having trouble with a work in progress (GP Spectra E ARF).
Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Just about got it finished up. I did epoxy the tail feathers on. Just have to work on the gap at the wing/fuse joint and balance it out. Still waiting for some warm weather to happen to put an end to this snow.

flynte

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76542.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1168849  
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: rich52mag

Got mine 3-27-09 looks great, I'm puttin a TT .46 pro on mine. The screw-on tail has me a little worried about engine oil soaking into the wood in that area. I may epoxy it on to seal it. I also got the Cox Giles 202 with a magnum .52 4 stroke. I wonder if I should switch the engines? Any thoughts guys??
You can use some thin Ca to seal the area if you desire . Just don't put it together till the ca is dry . Use some blue loctite on the threads to keep the nuts from backin off .

I'll be putting mine together this week . Might just throw my .46ax on it . I think I'm gana order a Primo 40 for the new Saito 82 I have .
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: flynte

Just have to work on the gap at the wing/fuse joint.
I used foam tape on the fuse itself. The stuff I got is clear and made by 3M. It is quite a bit softer than the white stuff, and a little easier to compress. My wing had big gaps at the front and little gaps at the rear, so the softer stuff allowed me to put a strip all the way down the wing/fuse joint, and not put to much pressure on the smaller gap areas. When I put the wing on, it smashes the foam tape and seals the gap. Works like a charm.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Bonebreak, Great idea...................!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did for the tail wheel I kind of reversed a sig tail wheel assy. Also you can see where I mounted the voltwatch so with the canopy on I can see it this way I do not have to disconnect it when I remove the canopy. Also I had to modifiy the canopy hooks and file them down so when I put it on it is very tight and hard to get off so it shouldn't go anywhere we'll see. For power I stuck a 46 fx on it should be plenty of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12449.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1169220   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43903.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1169221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12486.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1169222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43339.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1169223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89824.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1169224  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: hairy46

I do not think I would epoxy it so that you can change the part's if needed! I used Sig super coat fuel proofer in area's that looked to need it. I am using a OS 46 AX I feel for the wing span that that will be more then enough! They are great looking planes when finished! I may have to put ski's on mine to go fly it, we have snow lots of snow and there is snow in the forcast for tonight! Any one want to rent a room to me in a much warmer climate?
Thanks for the advice. How about some snow skies? This company makes real nice ones- www.MAIDENUSAMMP.com
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Well no takers on the room, so I may have to go to the snow ski's! Weather is getting worse out here! Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Hey guys, did you notice that GP has added a Technical Notice regarding the elevator joiner?
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1200-tech.pdf
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM

So it is a problem. I did add CA to my elevators, but they felt solid, and still do even after flying.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 AM
My Feedback: (20)

I picked up an Escapade 3 weeks ago from the local Hobbytown where I work parttime.I had an OS 46 FX waiting on
a plane.Got it put together in a few days.I checked the elevators on mine,and sure enough,there was no glue there.I wicked thin CA down around the metal joiner until it quit taking it.Finally got to maiden it this past Sunday.On my maiden flight,as soon as it lifted off,it banked hard to the right.Got some altitude and checked my trims.Somehow I had moved my aileron trim far right.Got it trimmed out and it flew great. Flys slow but can be aerbatic on high rates.OS 46FX is plenty of motor.Only got to put 2 flights on it due to me forgetting to charge my radio overnight and forgetting to bring my radio charge cord.Had the cord for the receiver pack but forgot to pack radio charge cord.
Very good plane for $99.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM

Glad to hear the maiden went good. It is a really fun plane for sure. I haven't been able to fly again due to the horrible weather in OKC.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM

I flew my Escapade this weekend. Still flies great!!!

I flew 5 flights and almost dead sticked it twice due to running the tank empty.

The ultimate compliment is that one of the guys from the club said he was going to order one from Tower after seeing my plane the last few times at the field.

It was hot in So Cal last weekend. The monokote loosened in a few spots due to the heat. I will apply some heat this week to fix that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.