Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
trainerteen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

my escapade dosent knife edge very well so what should i do cuz im a prety good [sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
bonebreak

My Escapade doesn't knife edge every easily either. I think that the dihedral in the wing is the reason.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you guy's using for power? I'm using the old 40 FSR. I'd compare it with a 46FX.
I had to add 2oz to the nose to make it a tad nose heavy.
The Escapade is so light, and with the big rudder, you shouldn't have a problem doing a knife edge.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
bonebreak

You shouldn't have any issues with knife edge, but you do. It is do-able, but not near as easy as an Extra or a Yak. The dihedral in the wing has a bit of self righting characteristics, so you have to hold a couple different inputs on the radio to keep it from rolling back on its belly. You have to hold down elevator to keep it straight, aileron to keep it from rolling to its belly, and the rudder of course to get it to knife edge straight and pretty. Sometimes, even holding all these inputs, it still doesnt look very good.

Edit: I am using an O.S. .46 fxi for power with an 11 x 6-7 prop. It is really fast with this setup, and I can get unlimited vertical also.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 AM
YarSmytheJr

Maidened my Escapade (electric) yesterday. Had some minor issues with it but on the whole was happy with its flight performance. I need to work with the flaps a little more so they are effective and not a distraction.

Here are some pics prior to take-off.

-Lee

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10710.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1200137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18939.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1200138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13983.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1200139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40517.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1200140  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 AM
bonebreak

Are you planning on buying the cowl for your Escapade? There is anEscapadeearlier in this thread that has a cowl, but it is nitro (still looks great). I think the cowl would make your plane look alot cleaner up front, infact, it is begging for it. The only bummer is, I think it costsabout $20.00.That is alot when theplaneonly cost $100.00 to start with.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Yes Bonebreak is right the cowling would be very nice with it being electric! you did a great job on the plane! Outside of a few minor things wrong with this plane we all found a plane that is allot of fun and afordable! I know that mine was covered perfect not one bubble I just sealed the seams. I wonder when it will come out in other colors? Blue green and white maybe! Bob

Have a great day! I know i'm going too!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 AM
YarSmytheJr

Way ahead of you fellas.  My cowl is on backorder. 

The electric motor mount that comes with this kit is built around the Rimfire motor.  The radial mount on my brushless motor did not match up.  I popped out the blind nuts and redrilled holes for my mount....but...I didn't line up the center line and I'm off by nearly 3/8".  I'll be glad when the cowl arrives but I have a feeling I'll be drilling out the center hole and the spinner will be off a bit.  Not a big deal but I could kick myself for not spending a little more time on it.

When the cowl arrives, I'll upload some new pics!  Cheers fellas.

-Lee
Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
bonebreak

I would send you my motor box, but I broke it for scrap wood to make motor mount shims for my Extra 330.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM
YarSmytheJr

Thanks bonebreak.  If the center line is too far off when the cowl is installed, I'll remove my motor and install new plywood mounts on the front and box sides to fix the alignment.  Heck...the plane is flying good right now...I may be messing up a good thing! 
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Mikecam

Well my escapade came in for my son's 11th birthday. Opened it all up on Friday and found 3 different holes in the covering. No marks on the box so must be from how it was packaged. Anybody else have this problem? My son took it well but I could tell he was disappointed. I was disappointed to say the least.

Also bought a GP Cub and noticed some broken wood when I held the wing tip up to the light. Always liked Great planes stuff but I'm sitting on the fence till I hear back from GP. Hope they take care of me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93421.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1201172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52228.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1201173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99067.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1201174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48927.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1201175  
Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Wont your retailer exchange it for you?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 PM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Opened it all up on Friday and found 3 different holes in the covering. No marks on the box so must be from how it was packaged. ?
I had no problems at all. Did you buy it from a LHS or Online? Maybe someone bought it, broke it, and returned it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
YarSmytheJr

Do all of you balance your plane at the CG recommended by GP? At 63mm, my plane is tail heavy.  At 70mm she balances but feels and reacts nose heavy.  63mm looks WAY too far forward.  The main spar is another 1.5" - 2" further AFT.  Anyone else flying her with the CG further AFT? 

-Lee
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
e30pq

I had to add one ounce to the spinner to get my Escapade to balance.

I used the GP suggested CG.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
bonebreak

ORIGINAL: YarSmytheJr

Do all of you balance your plane at the CG recommended by GP?At 63mm, my plane is tail heavy. At 70mm she balances but feels and reacts nose heavy. 63mm looks WAY too far forward. The main spar is another 1.5" - 2" further AFT. Anyone else flying her with the CG further AFT?

-Lee
I have mine balanced at about 70mm too. I too think it feels nose heavy, especially inverted. I have since moved it back, but have not flown it yet.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
hairy46

That is to bad! Mine was perfect when it came in, The covering not only was it perfect all I did was get out the iron and just made sure it was sealed proper. Not one bubble in the covering! The reason I buy allot of Great Planes is because they are wonderful about making things right! Sorry to hear of your bad exsperience but I know it will get fixed! And this is a great one, just follow this forum and these guys will help fix the few problems that exist! Good luck, Bob

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
ptuxbury

Hey YarSmytheJr. My electric motor mount has been sitting around in its bag for a couple months now and I kept thinking, "I should offer this up on rcuniverse for someone who might need it." Anyway, if you want it, it's yours. Just PM me with your address and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

As for the discussion on knife edge... I concur with bonebreak. There is a little too much dihedral on this plane to do them easily.

I got tired of watching the tail of my Escapade wag every 5 flights or so, and then having to tighten the nuts that hold it on. I decided to epoxy it all together today. This week is a beauty for flying here in the Northeast.

-ptux
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Mikecam

My LHS brought it in for me. I called there and if they had another one they would of exchanged it for me. Haven't heard from GP yet but hoping they take care of me. Always have in the past. Very disappointing but I like the looks of the plane and my son does too. All my other planes have been perfect. Just a run of some bad luck, as long as GP takes care of me I'm happy. Will keep you posted. Thanks

PS Thanks for the kind words Bob. I like the look also and ordered the sullivan tail wheel the same time I ordered the plane. I'm sure GP will replace the parts or plane, just hope the parts are in stock.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the LHS Cellar Dwellar or Eliminator RC?

Jim
ORIGINAL: Mikecam

My LHS brought it in for me. I called there and if they had another one they would of exchanged it for me. Haven't heard from GP yet but hoping they take care of me. Always have in the past. Very disappointing but I like the looks of the plane and my son does too. All my other planes have been perfect. Just a run of some bad luck, as long as GP takes care of me I'm happy. Will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Mikecam

Lori at Eliminator. Great people. Hope to hear soon from GP.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
hairy46

Hello Mike,
It is a wonderful plane! I put a OS 46 AX on it and it really works well together! Our weather has just been terible out here, they are saying bad through this weekend and monday! But you will like it when you get a chance to fly it, Like I saidGP will get you set up on it they are that kind of company! Well being it looks like rain outside I am going in to work on my Hangar 9 Spitfire. The Spitfire has always been one of my top three favorit planes and they built a beauty! Good luck mike and with ordering the tail wheel you have read the forum you will do just fine! Take care, Bob

Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Hmmmm...has anoyone thought about modifying the wing a little to function like the Pulse XT where you have split wing halves. I havent actually seen the Escapade, but judging by the pics...all you would need is a dowel peg on each wing and proper reinforcement in the fuse. Would be great for transporting. Something to think about. If anyone has taken the initiative to try this, please let us all know.

Also, is anyone able to compare this to the H9 Pulse? How does its flight capabilities compare? Im looking for an inexpensive plane for my OS 46ax.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
hairy46

I think you found one with the Escapade for your 46 AX, Its a great combo!   Bob 
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
bonebreak

The Escapade is a great plane. It really depends on what you want to do though. If you want a full aerobat, then maybe the Escapade isn't the plane for you. I would say, go with a Yak of an Extra if thats your cup of tea. The Escapade is very capable, but, it is also a gentle everyday flier. Ithasdihedral in the wing, so it does have "some" self righting characteristics. You won't be able to easily knife edge because of this.You also won't be able tofly inverted for a long distance (you can, but it isn't easy, and doesn't look very pretty). I have moved my CG back in hopes it will help in this area, and will report back after I fly it again. I love this plane because I can take it up and do most stunts, but it is also gentle enough to fly without the heart beating 1000 beats per minute. If I want a plane like this, I will take my Extra 330L out. Your 46AX will give the plane unlimited vertical with the right prop. I use an 11 x 6 with an OS .46fx, and get unlimited vertical. It will also be really fast with this combo. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.