Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

$14.49 at Tower. That's not too bad if you can't repair what you have. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZG9&P=7
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mirwin

flylower

I like that cowl. Did you make it? I bought my Escapade when they first came out, and have many fun flights with it.

Mike
You can buy a cowl like that at Tower Hobbies $20.00
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"You can buy a cowl like that at Tower Hobbies $20.00"

Holy Toledo, that's 20% of the cost of the model. I like it though; maybe I'll make one with fiberglass.

thanks,

Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Tom Nied

mirwin, you can make one but my guess it will take at least an hour. 20 bucks and you can buy one. Your time also equals money. I've come to the conclusion that my time is also valuable. Think about it, you might be better just buying one. Whatever you decide is going to be correct for you.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
trevoryoung00
My Feedback: (15)

I am looking into buying one these as a "return to rc" plane. I have flown for many years, but have also been out of the hobby for about 5. I have a couple questions regarding the flight characteristics. In your opinion would this be a good plane to get the rust knocked off and get back into the hobby. Can anyone compare the flight characteristics to a 4-Star 40? The 4-Star was a "floater" and what i read it seems this comes in more like a rock?  Is it tippy at slow speeds or just mushy?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 AM
e30pq

I've only been flying for about 16 months.

I moved straight from a trainer (Nextstar) to the Escapade.

Landings are easy. I wouldn't say it floats but I don't think is comes down like a rock either.

I would say it's a good plane to come back into the hobby with.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 AM
hairy46

If you could get a couple flights on a trainer then you would be ready! I was absent tweenty years so I had to fly a trainer for a little while, Good luck and welcome home!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
flylower

flylower

I like that cowl. Did you make it? I bought my Escapade when they first came out, and have many fun flights with it.

Mike
Sorry mirwin, missed your comment before. I'm sure by now you know I purchased the cowl from Tower Hobbies. I waited like 5 or 6 months, they were out of stock that long. Very frustrating wait, but as you can see by the look, worth it. Have you got a cowl yet?

[8D]
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flylower

flylower

Mike
Sorry mirwin, missed your comment before. I'm sure by now you know I purchased the cowl from Tower Hobbies. I waited like 5 or 6 months, they were out of stock that long. Very frustrating wait, but as you can see by the look, worth it. Have you got a cowl yet?

[8D]

Flylower, Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have the cowl yet. I enjoy making things, so I thought I might make one out of fiberglass over a rainy weekend. It would be the most challenging fiberglass project I've done to date.

Mike

Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
flylower

mirwin,

Cool....let me know how that comes out. Maybe you could post some pics.

[8D]
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
flylower

Maidened my Escapade today. A very pleasing experience!!!

[8D]
Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
DeferredDefect

Just finished building mine - Is a Thunder TIger 40 even going to get it off the ground? I had this engine laying around for years, and I figured, based on the size of the plane, a 40 should be overkill. Now I look at the weight, and I have some serious doubts...

Any thoughts on this? If not, I'm flying on Saturday!

Thank you,

Graeme
Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Unless you added a bunch of unnecessary weight when you assembled it a TT .40 will fly it just fine.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Tom Nied

I'm a big fan of the TT GP42. Had one on an Avistar and was thoroughly happy with the power. And I'd fly it on windy days most guys stayed home. I'd put one on my Escapade but got a deal better than I could if I tried to buy a Thunder Tiger. I think if you have the CG correct, you'll be pleased with the TT 40.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I've read every post of the last 33 pages and have to chip in with compliments thats its been excellent.
I acquired a GP Escapade on Tuesday and have been milling over motor and servo's. receiver will be Futaba R617FS no question (works with T6EX transmitter...)

I've been inspecting the leading edge wing tabs and been scratching my head around how a wing could have torn off in mid flight. I concluded that iit is only possible if the aluminium wing tube was not fitted or the tab were cracked or softened due to water absorption or fuel damage. the tabs are made of 3mm thick ply, pretty tough.
Of course reinforcing does provide peace of  mind.

The Elevator control surface mounting I do agree is an area for improvement and don;t really understand why GP decided on the design they did.

I have two solutions in mind:
1) Fit a control horn to both surfaces and join the control rods in the fuselage
2) Fit two high torque 9g micro servo's to control each element of the elevator separately and mix them via the Tx. I'm still engineering this solution but I think I will go this way.

the canopy solution I've opted for is to fit two springs over the dowels to force the canopy aft. Clutch springs from a cheap ball point pen work well.

Motor size is a bit of condundrum. I love the sound of the Saito 4s and can get a GK 56 for a good price.
OS 46 or 55 or Evolution 46 or 52 seem to be where I'm headed right now but can still be swayed if someone had a vid of a Escapade with a 56 size 4s going vertical. I'd like a bit of aerobatic performance and the head says Evolution .52NX.

A few things I think GP can improve on and  will most likely build some of these improvements myself over the coming months;

1) An aero profile elevator.
2) Provide the cowl as stock in the ARF kit.
3) re-engineer the canopy to fit under the cowl so extend the top of the cowl rearward. This is too eliminate the whistling noise most are hearing. The gap between canopy and foreward deck ahead of "Charlie" (thats the name of the pilot).  I am looking at fitting a gurney flap ahead of the canopy to disrupt the air flowand send it over and around the canopy. I just need to get some time in a wind tunnel or will borrow a fly cam from a mate and fit some wool strips to check the effet this will have on the flow toward the elevator; the airframe is quite short so it may cause a problem rather than solve it.
easier solution is to apply a low adhesive tape to the canopy or even glue a strip of colour coded plastic on the deck so that the canopy butts up against it and does not present raised gap to the airflow.

I fell in love with this plane the moment I saw it on the website. At the time I was considering a Tiger 3 or Phoenix Scanner. GladI made the right choice.

How would a Saito 56 Gk fly this plane? I would like a trouble free aerobatic capability
Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Tom Nied

This is just my opinion, and will admit no real experience with four strokes. But looking at the numbers, the Saito 56 should give good performance that most fliers would be happy with. But if you want that little extra "punch", the Evoulution 52 or .46's you mention, will give it. If you feel you have good deal on the Saito, it should work just fine. You're well within the suggested engine specifications for the Escapade. So go with what your heart wants, or your pocketbook, or maybe even previous experience with any of those engines.

Shoot, I hope just didn't confuse your decision any more.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
bhady

Flew mine Sunday, power is a super Tiger GS45 wiith a APC 11x6. Vertical is unlimited. This is a great flying plane, unfortutnately I tore the landing gear out and damaged a wing tip during a cross-wind landing. Wind speed was 15-20 mph. Otherwise a great day of flying.

bhady
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks for the replies - Hope to get it in the air tomorrow!
I'm going to bring a K&B 60 along, in case it's too slow!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Well, I went and done it. The guys at the field said at least when I crash one I do a thorough job! There's two ways to look at it. It's either the end of an airplane or the beginning of a new one. I like the sound of the latter myself.
I tried to go inverted in a turn (on purpose) and I was at about half throttle. Between the dumb thumbs and not enough wind over the wing she went in before I could get control. Oh well, she was a good plane. Now, on to another.
Red
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80153.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	1420417  
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
hairy46

Darn dumb thumbs! if it was not for dumb thumbs my hangar would be fuller!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Tom Nied

wow, I wouldn't say it's obliterated, but that's even in my book maybe not worth repairing. And I've been known to bring back planes many times. You had fun, go on to the next one. Good for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

This is just my opinion, and will admit no real experience with four strokes. But looking at the numbers, the Saito 56 should give good performance that most fliers would be happy with. But if you want that little extra "punch", the Evoulution 52 or .46's you mention, will give it. If you feel you have good deal on the Saito, it should work just fine. You're well within the suggested engine specifications for the Escapade. So go with what your heart wants, or your pocketbook, or maybe even previous experience with any of those engines.

Shoot, I hope just didn't confuse your decision any more.

nah you're not confusing me at all. The message comin through 33 pages of posts is that a .40 fill fly this plane well and a .55 2S will make it quite aerobatic.
I'm leaning toward the bigger end of the scale now since I want to develop my flying toward the aerobatic direction. Having the bigger motor will just help the escapade keep up with my development.

I'm already eyeing a 26% scale Extra 260

but must keep my feet on the ground, a way to go yet

Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
RED RUNNER

Just got my TowerTalk & the Escapade is once again available for $99.98. Code TE1437
Price is good thru June 30, 2010
Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 AM
TimBle

Yip, receieved that too. Pity shipping to SA is so expensive that I end up paying for one what you pay for 2!!!

OS Max 46AX ordered.
Servo's Futaba S3004 ordered
Reciever f617FS ordered...

rubbing hands together in gleeful anticipation

PS:
I want to drive both elevator elements. I have ordered extra control surface control horns (GP branded but considering Sullivan too) and have decided to use the Sullivan Double ball elevator Splitter to drive port and starboard elevator elements. I will need to fit a control rod guide sleeve of sorts. Has anyone done this with great success that did not require cutting holes into the fuselage to bond the rod sleeve in place?
Tips would be welcome.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
RED RUNNER

[font="Arial"]SUCESSFUL MAIDEN TODAY
I've read all 33 pages of this thread. I didn't see an O.S. 40FP mentioned until page 25. The FP is enough power even though my plane weighs 6 lbs. I glued the wing halves & the tail assembly. The FP is at the bottom of engine sizes for this plane & weighs 11.6 oz with the stock muffler. A 10x6 prop gives me 11700 RPM. I added a 1/2" spacer behind the motor mount & needed 5 oz to balance the plane at the 2 1/2" CG. I used a DuBro .60 size tail wheel bracket with a 1" wheel & replaced the foam wheels with BuBro Low Bounce wheels for a 3.5 oz gain.

I set the plane up with dual rates that were less then shown in the instructions. I didn't want the plane to be too twitchy & it worked out well. I didn't get a lot of airtime because of a flame out. (Engine problem) This plane is what I was looking for. At least the 6 lbs gives me a rock steady airframe. Level flight only required slightly more then half throttle. I am not a very proficient pilot. Even thought I have been flying for 30 years I haven't been able to do a novice pattern. Maybe I will get there with this plane.

Photo shows plane balanced at the 2 1/2" CG

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I knew everything I needed for the build. Unlike some people who put thiers together overnight I spent 10 days of my retirement enjoying the build.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64750.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1428679  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.