Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 04-02-2024, 07:24 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Well according to Great Planes, "a 52 - .70 cu in (8.5 - 11.5cc) 4-stroke" is suggested". I would love to say yeah that will work but I think you would be happier with that engine in a different plane. I would suggest you look at possible .25 size 2 stroke planes for that engine. Now, could you do it? Yes, with proper attention to CG. So you have to decide what you want to do. I love the Escapade with the Magnum .46 2 stroke glow I have in it. Not sure I would want it with something like a Magnum .25 in it. Put that engine in something more appropriate is what I say. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
init4fun (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:22 AM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Well according to Great Planes, "a 52 - .70 cu in (8.5 - 11.5cc) 4-stroke" is suggested". I would love to say yeah that will work but I think you would be happier with that engine in a different plane. I would suggest you look at possible .25 size 2 stroke planes for that engine. Now, could you do it? Yes, with proper attention to CG. So you have to decide what you want to do. I love the Escapade with the Magnum .46 2 stroke glow I have in it. Not sure I would want it with something like a Magnum .25 in it. Put that engine in something more appropriate is what I say. Good luck.
Many thanks for your good advice, I will take it and look for something more appropriate. Kind regards.
The following users liked this post:
init4fun (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 02:59 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine flies absolutely fine with an OS FSa 56 on it, not too much power nor to little, just right

Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Tom Nied

How do you think a Saito 40 fourstroke would do?
Old 04-04-2024, 09:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Tom,

I agree with your post #1851, I think a .40 four stroke would be too little power to have any real fun with it. Sure it'd fly, but anyone looking to do any kind of aerobatics would quickly be wishing for more oomph
Old 04-04-2024, 09:24 AM
Tom Nied

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even very mild maneuvering you want some power. He's got a Saito 40, probably a pretty good engine. I've suggested he look for planes that need something like a .25 2 stroke glow. Not a lot out there, but there are some. Find the right match and he could have a real fun airplane.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:25 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsneakers
Well I finished running the NGH 9cc engine in my Escapade on the ground. I am very surprised at the oil that comes out of the exhaust. Just about the same amount as my OS 46. That was a big reason for me to go to a gas engine. Not to have to clean the plane all the time. They have you mix the gas and oil at 20:1. So maybe that should be expected. I think I'm going to convert it to an electric plane. And try to sell the NGH. You win some and you lose some.
What does "clean the plane all the time" actually mean?
if you hate cleaning exhaust residue off your model like it's some horrible task; What's your toilet look like in the house and who cleans that?
If you cleaned anything in your bathroom before, why can't that be the attitude with castor oil residue on a model airplane? You won't find urine or feces on that model, right?

I clean my glow airplanes just fine inside of a minute. Some paper towels and 409 spray. Sometimes I use Isopropyl alcohol so I can also wipe my radio if any spray gets on it, and well as my hands.
Cleaning my model at the field, while it's not the highlight of my flying day, it is nothing compared to other tasks I do routinely around the house.