Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Top Flite AT6 ARF >

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

o thank you i almost forgot about them theoreticly they should fit tho
nice

Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Sonny,<div>
</div><div>I have a few questions regarding your retracts.   At first glance it appears as though it would be easier to leave the cylinder facing inboard. What was your reason for changing the cylinders to facing outboard?  Last night I just tried to rough fit the robart 618s and noticed that my gears appear to be slightly too long, maybe by 3/16".  Did you have to trim your wires?  It looks as though I will have to trim my wires and bend them a little to get a good fit.  </div><div>
</div><div>How did you secure your air tank in the fuse?  Servo tape?  </div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>I  tried fitting the 20 oz tettra fuel tank for the texan and I don't think it will work.  Luckily I also bought a 16 oz.  I believe it will work but I may have to take the dremel to that partial bulkhead that is at the rear of the fuel tank.  This wouldn't weaken the fuse too bad would it?</div><div>
</div><div>I was wanting to replace the kit motor mounts with the du-bro aluminum  vibration reducing motor mounts since I'll be using the ys 110.  I have the mounts and noticed that the holes are off by about 3/8" off for the top and bottom holes.  Would it be best to just remove the backing hardware from the firewall then plug it and finish it in the finishing resin mixed with milled fiberglass? Then drill holes to proper location and place new backing hardware on the firewall?  </div><div>
</div><div>Thanks</div><div>
</div><div>KC </div>
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KC,

The hole in the outboard wing rib was a sweet fit for the air cylinders. When I receive the retracts from Robart, the cylinder was on the inside and I could not make it fit right. I had to use a dremel tool to make the hole bigger so the up air line would not be pinch. Now you will have to play with the down air line so that it lay flat in the bay so it will not be pinch. I found the down line nipple on the cylinder was making small dent in the top sheeting. I found out the nipple was a little long. I could cut the nipple or put spacers under the flange of the gear so it would be inline with the bottom sheeting of the wing. I went with the spacers. My wires came with the gear set and they was right on. Now I have read on another forum that you may have to cut the stock wire to make then fit. And yes you will have to do some bending to get a good fit!! On the air tank, I did a small drop of CA to hold the tank in place. I know you will be using ys 110 engine and you want a bigger tank, but I would tell you to stay with the stock tank. Remember you have a battery to go below the tank. On the new motor mounts, I would do all the things you said in your post and re-drill the holes.
I hope this help you and like always feel free to ask more!!

Sonny
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM

As I stated above, I received the replacement retracts from Tower and they look the same. </p>

I have finished the metal cases and installed ithem last night.  I want to give it a try for several landings before posting the pictures and installation.</p>

It will  definitely strengthen the mounting tabs and should prevent breaking on reasonable landings.</p>
Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Has anyone tried the Lado Retracts here is a link http://www.lado-tech.net/products.php?cat=5 I am thinking about using the 60-6 I am not sure if they will fit. The lead time is about three weeks.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Hi rmbu,

Welcome to the thread!! The Lado Retract looks good. I wish I knew about this company before I went with Robarts. Looking at the gear, they may fit the Texan. If you go with the Lado-Tech gears, please post the install and your report on the like and dis-like of this gear. I love the retract speed in the video!!!

Sonny
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Flash!!!! I flew my AT-6 today with the reinforced stock retracts that I designed.</p>

Five flights and seven landings. Four landings were without flaps so the plane bounced as high as 4 feet on one landing. Absolutely no damage to the landing gear block. The struts did bend foreward about 1/8" due to the bounce and that was easily bent back with 2 pair of pliers but the reinforced boxes held up great.

Pictures and availability to follow.
</p>

</p>
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

Flash!!!! I flew my AT-6 today with the reinforced stock retracts that I designed.</p>

Five flights and seven landings. Four landings were without flaps so the plane bounced as high as 4 feet on one landing. Absolutely no damage to the landing gear block. The struts did bend foreward about 1/8" due to the bounce and that was easily bent back with 2 pair of pliers but the reinforced boxes held up great.

Pictures and availability to follow.

TomTreese;

That is great news to hear!!!! Can'twait to see the install pictures!!! Now this plane will takeyour heart. I flew my Texan for the 3 days weekends and had a blast!!! To do a low flyby with the gears and flaps out, is SWEET!!! Ilove this bird!!!

Sonny
</p>

</p>
Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Today I really tested the retract boxes!!!   I made a too slow landing and the AT-6 bounce twice about 5 feet in the air and landed in a 10% nose down attitude.   One of the retract push rods came loose from the servo conection BUT THE RETRACT BOXES DID NOT FAIL</p>

I think I've solved the retract case problem.   Now, how I have to land very softly to keep the 3/16" gear struts from bending everytime the plane bounces???   They always bend foreward at the coil and then the wheels will not fit into the wells??    </p>

They are not that hard to bend back BUT YOU'D THING THAT WIRE THAT HEAVY WOULD RESIST BENDING SO EASY.</p>

I GUESSS TOP-FLITE REALLY FOULED UP WITH THESE CHEAP RETARCTS ON A BEAUTIFUL WARBIRD.</p>
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

Today I really tested the retract boxes!!! I made a too slow landing and the AT-6 bounce twice about 5 feet in the air and landed in a 10% nose down attitude. One of the retract push rods came loose from the servo conection BUT THE RETRACT BOXESDID NOT FAIL</p>

I think I've solved the retract case problem. Now, how I have to land very softly to keep the 3/16" gear struts from bending everytime the plane bounces??? They always bend foreward at the coil and then the wheels will not fit into the wells??</p>

They are not that hard to bend back BUT YOU'D THING THAT WIRE THAT HEAVY WOULD RESIST BENDING SO EASY.</p>

I GUESSS TOP-FLITE REALLY FOULED UP WITH THESE CHEAP RETARCTS ON A BEAUTIFUL WARBIRD.</p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89811.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1207990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98268.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1207991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21718.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1207992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29810.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1207993  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM

TomTreese;

You did a great job on the gear box!!! My hat is off to you!!! Last Monday I was playing with my Texan and I found out that the flaps do a good job of slowing this bird down. Three out of five landing was smooth, but, the last two was just like you had!! I know this weekend I will try and find the best speed for landing this bird. The wires that came with my robarts gears are doing the same thing. A little hard landing and they bend!! But I have very happy with this bird!! I hope people will buy your gear box and thank you for your great ideal!!!

Sonny
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM

I'm going to call Hobby Serviceses tomorrow and complain about the wire.    They will probably say they strengthened it like the plastic boxes[:'(]</p>

If I use the flaps and keep the speed up she will set down nicely.    But you have to check the wires after every landing to make sure they fit into the wells.    I am glad that the gear boxes withstood the poor landings.</p>

I have a Hanger-9 Hellcat with 240 (actually 120 landings on 2 sets, change after 120)  on the stock 90* rotating retracts ($24.00) without a problem.   They, however, have a metal case and streight struts.</p>
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know they are not cheap but an upgrad to a functional strut would solve the bending wire problem and would go a long way towards solving the problem with bouncing on landing as well.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Agree!!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 PM

I agree also!!!

Sonny
Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

TomTreese,

Hey Bud, can I buy a pair of the gear boxes,<span style="font-size: large">please.
</span>
Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Yes, you can. I talked to the metal fabrication guy and we can make them available for $30.00 including freight.</p>

I just have to figure a way of getting paid??? <u>I think I can do it through Pay-Pal?</u></p>

To install all you have to do is sand a little off of each mounting block. About .5mm on each side and they slide right in.</p>

I called Hobby Services this morning about the wire struts??? They are going to send another set but I don't think that solves the bending problem.</p>

Have many of you had this bending problem??</p>
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Tom,

I have a PayPal account. Just let me know where I need to deposit the money. If that is not workable, I can send you a money order.

Please reply either way by Email to [email protected].

Thanks,
Curt
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I think all of us have probably had the wire bending problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if the repeated straightening that we're doing is leading to a weakening of the box.  I know I always try to be smooth on landing but I have had to bend the right gear 2x.  The left has never bent.  I held the wire at the coil the last time to make sure I don't stress the plastic box.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM

got some pics of the conversions i put on .... the wire ones came with my kit but i elected to change them over.

had some time to get the engine on the nose and get some graphics put on... flaps and some clear is left. any idea on the pilot size/scale guys?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74787.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1208517   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43756.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1208518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56680.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1208519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94432.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1208520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77781.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1208521  
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 PM

swixtt;

Your Texan looks, SWEET!!!! I too will change over from the wire . They give the plane more of the scale look with the struts, They a look at the pilots that come with the arf. You may like them!!
Again, that is one sweet plane!!

Sonny
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Hi Everyone;

I have a question for the team. How many fly off of a grass or pave field?? Why I ask, today I had a sweet soft landing on my Texan, the one where the wheels just start rolling and both gear bent just enough to where the gear would not retract in the wheel well. Now my club field is grass and the owner of the land let us roll it to make it flat as we can. I just want to find out if these gear wire bend on a pave runway too!!! Over all, the plane flew like a dream. Now the wife give me the green light, I think I will pop for another Top Flite A6 Texan.
And thanks for any input!!

Sonny
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 AM

I too was thinking about getting the robostrut conversion kit for the install. <div></div><div>Sonny, how did you get the retract box to fit with the cylinder? I've looked and can't figure it out. I know I will have to trim a little with the rotary tool but it catches on the end toward the fuse due to the angle during insertion. Any advice?</div><div></div><div>Tom, I would like to purchase a set of cases as well. If you would like I could just send you a money order? Congratulations on a fine job.</div>
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM

groundpounder17;

You will have to move the cylinder so that it will go into the outside wing. You will have to take the gear apart and flip the cylinder to the otherside of the case. I hope you have not join the wings to the center section yet, or this will not be easy. The hole in the outer wing is the one you have to enlarge, so the air line will not be pinch when you slide the outer wing on to the center section. The gears are easy to open. Just unscrew the screws on the side of the case, open, move the cylinder, close and retight the screws.
I hope this help. If you need more, just post and I will do my best to help!!

Sonny
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM

Sorry, I wasn't that clear in my question I suppose. I have already reversed the cylinders to facing outboard but was having issues with the inner most border of the gear box hitting the sheeting due to the angle during insertion. I looked back at some of your earlier pictures, Sonny, and found noticed what you did. You removed the corners of the sheeting to allow for clearance. Do you find that it worked out best with having the air tube in the position facing straight down (or up during the installation) or would it have been better to face them toward the rear of the plane? Is there anything you would have done differently during installing your retracts? I also didn't understand what you meant about the spacers. Could you please explain? Do you think the robostruts would fit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.