Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Top Flite AT6 ARF >

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

Hi groundpounder17;

Yes I had to remove some of the sheeting so the the gear would fit. The flange on the gear box is a bit to long. On the air nipple for the down line, when it is straight down and you test fit the gear in the wing, the nipple will hit the top sheeting and make it hard for the air line to gon on the nipple. Also when you have the gear in the wing, the flange of the gear box sit below the bottom sheeting. This is where the spacers come in. I was thinking if the gear box flange was in-line with the bottom sheeting this would give me more room on the down line nipple. It work untill the air line is install and the line would be pinch so bad. I move the nipple to the 90 deg left and right, but still the line would be pinch. So I took the gear out and had the nipple straight down and saw the nipple was below the bottom of the gear box.. So what I did was a small mod on the down line nipple. where the nipple was in-line with the bottom of the gear box. That hit the spot!!! Now you will have to play with the nipple to find the right spot. To do this is easy. Place the gear in the wing and move the gear by hand up and down. If you move the gear down and the gear spring back, than the down line is pinch. Move the nipple untill you find a spot where the gear go up and down and stay still On the robostruts, you can email Robarts and they will give you the answer. Trust me groundpounder17, these gear will fit!! If my wife give me the go ahead to buy another Texan, it will also have the Robarts Air Gear System and I will do it the same way I did this one!! I hope this help and if not, post more and I will come running!!!
Have a great week my friend!!!

Sonny
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<span style="font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; "><div style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">Thanks Sonny!  You've been a big help on this.  I just get real nervous when it comes to removing so much with the proxxon (like a dremel).  I would actually like to keep the wires but thought that I heard mention of the wires bending even on your robarts.  I was just wondering if that was recommended.  After seeing a pair of the struts there is little chance that these would bend but if the wires are strong enough I will use them.  The spacer use is clear to understand now.  Thanks for the tip.  </div><div style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">Do any of your previously posted pics illustrate this position of the nipple in-line with the bottom of the gear box?  Many thanks for all the help! Have a great weekend!</div></span>
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jet22b

TomTreese;

You did a great job on the gear box!!! My hat is off to you!!! Last Monday I was playing with my Texan and I found out that the flaps do a good job of slowing this bird down. Three out of five landing was smooth, but, the last two was just like you had!! I know this weekend I will try and find the best speed for landing this bird. The wires that came with my robarts gears are doing the same thing. A little hard landing and they bend!! But I have very happy with this bird!! I hope people will buy your gear box and thank you for your great ideal!!!

Sonny
So far after 9 landings, some of them were rather hard,the metal gear box case is holding up well.

This arrangement allows the useofthe stock retracts without the time and expense of Robarts.

Just another option Contact me if your are interested.. See post 285.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Hi Tom,<div>
</div><div>I just sent you an email regarding your cases. Congratulations on what appears to be a quality fix.</div><div>
</div><div>KC Hargis</div>
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi KC;

Here are a few pictures on the mod on the down line nipple. Also I am showing you the best spot for the down line nipple. As for the struts, I say go with them!! Yesterday I have 5 smooth landing and still bent the wire just enough that the gear would not retract in the well. I like Tom setup and I just may buy a set for my Robarts!!!
You are welcome for the help!! This is what make this hobby great!! Before the net, we would meet at the LHS or at the club field house and just talk shop. Now we have the net and just a mouse click away!! Like all ways if you need more, just post!!!
Have a great flying week!!!

Sonny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97838.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1210338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79820.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1210339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56421.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1210340  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I see Tower has some of the retracts in stock now.  I am wondering if anyone knows if they are the same as what we already have or something new.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

As I stated above, I received the replacement retracts from Tower and they look the same.</p>

I have finished the metal cases and installed ithem last night. I want to give it a try for several landings before posting the pictures and installation.</p>

It will definitely strengthen the mounting tabs and should prevent breaking on reasonable landings.</p>
flyermark;

Here is what TomTreese had to say about the gear from Tower!!

Sonny
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah,

And the replacements that Hobbico sent me look exactly like the originals. That is why I am not taking any chances and Tom is sending me a set of the cases.

Curt
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM

They look the same to me.  So installed the aluminum boxes and have 9 landings with out a gearbox failure.

The metal struts did bend however???   I called Tower and they are going to replace them again???  No word as to making them stronger?
I am going to coil some 1mm coper wire aroung the loop and see if that reduces the bending problem.

Our Warbirds Over Williamsburg IV is Saturday so I'll be flying the AT-6 there.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I was a little bit shocked to see the robart gear that just came is made out of plastic, I assumed ( mymistake) Has any one given them a good hard field test. I hope for the $175.00 I just spent for them they are worth it. I purposely have put off a maiden flight so I could change out this gear . Ive never used Robarts before, but would surely expect the mounting box to be aluminum. Time will tell.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM

If the mounting box is the same size as the stock retracts my aluminum box will fit around it as well????
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Tom, what aluminum box are you talking about. Gary
Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM

See post # 285 on page 12
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Now thats the ticket. That appears to be exactly what these gear needed. Are you making these to sell? I'll buy a set. Let me know how much and where to send the money. There beautiful. Gary
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

I was a little bit shocked to see the robart gear that just came is made out of plastic, I assumed ( mymistake) Has any one given them a good hard field test. I hope for the $175.00 I just spent for them they are worth it. I purposely have put off a maiden flight so I could change out this gear . Ive never used Robarts before, but would surely expect the mounting box to be aluminum. Time will tell.
skysfalling,

I have a set of Robarts on my Texan and now have close to 15 landing on them. I must say I have had so very hard landing and the gear box held up, but the wire is another story. Tom has a very good setup with his mod. He has post pictures of his setup here on this thread. The Robarts are good and I am happy with them.

Sonny
Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

Our Warbirds Over Williamsburg IV is Saturday so I'll be flying the AT-6 there.

I want to see pictures!!!! Have fun!!!!

Sonny
Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 PM

I just ordered the 618conv which is Robart's robostrut conversion kit for the 618's.  I'm hoping this will prevent the wire problems others are having.  My plane in not yet assembled so the transition to the strut shouldn't be too big of a task.  I also just purchased a set of Tom's aluminum cases.  I'm thinking that this should fix all problems in this area.  <div>
</div><div>Sonny, </div><div>In the pictures it appears as though the down nipple is oriented fwd to the front of the wing? Is this correct?  Would it be better to orient it at the same angle toward the corner but pointed to the rear of the wings (toward the flaps)?</div>
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: groundpounder17

<div>
</div><div>Sonny,</div><div>In the pictures it appears as though the down nipple is oriented fwd to the front of the wing? Is this correct? Would it be better to orient it at the same angle toward the corner but pointed to the rear of the wings (toward the flaps)?</div>
Hi groundpounder17;

Yes my down nipple is oriented fwd to the front of the wing!! I found this out by moving the air cylinder around. To do this, unscrew the screws that hold the case together, just enough so that you can move the cylinder. Now install the gear in the wing with all air lines on. With no air in the system, unlock the gear so you can move them by hand. This can be done by moving the the rod that is inside the cylinder to the unlock and the gear will free fall. Now mount the gear in the wing and move the gear to the up and down spot. Feel to see if the gear move free. Now if you move the gear to the down spot and it move back to the up side, than your down line is pinch. Move the cylinder to find the right spot for the down line nipple to be in. When you find that spot , screw the case screw tight and re-mount the gear. Check the gear again by hand to see if nothing change. Do the other wing the same way. This is work, but, it will pay off in the long run. I hope this help you!! If you need more, just post and I will be there!!! This past weekend, I put 5 flights on my Texan and love every one of them!!!
Have a great week groundpounder17

Sonny
Old 06-25-2009, 08:03 AM

The retract reinforcing boxes have worked out fine. Over 20 landings with no sign of stress!!!

Now, If we could get more ridged strut wires. I wrapped two coils of copper wire around the loop in mine but I still have to bend the left one back if I bounce a landing??

I contacted Tower Service and they sent another set of wires but they are the same as the old ones. Just like the replacement gear boxes??

I just carry two set's of pliers to hold the base and bend the strut back so it fits into the wheel well. I don't want it to bind when it comes up in flight and cause the servo to draw power the whole flight.

With the forward rake of the gear it is prone to bounce if the speed isn't perfect. I'm still working on flaps vs. no flaps landings for the best approach. Speed is the key.

At least the gear boxes aren't breaking any more!!!

A great flying plane. Tracts perfectly and the OS 91 is plenty of power. 60% throttle is all I ever need.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Here are some pictures of the warbird event.

Name:	Ay76160.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1225197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64855.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1225198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35811.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1225199  
Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 PM

Tom;

Nice pictures!! Looks like there was a big turnout too!!
Thanks for sharing them!!

Sonny
Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey guys, I have a new in the box Top Flite AT-6 Texan I'm selling for $250.00 shipped any where in the USA.....If ya know of anyone looking it's listed on here in the warbirds section for sale...Thanks..
Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM

We had 27 pilots and 51 warbirds and over 100 spectators. This was amazing since we had 5" of rain on Thursday and Friday before the event.
We had to restrict parking to 1/2 of our facility but the people came out to Honor "The Greates Generation" on the 65 anniversary of "D-Day"

We had about 12 WW II veterans come out and there were 7 there at Noon for the picture.

Name:	Ge95848.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1225210  
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM

Tom;

That was a good turnout!!! 51 warbirds!!! "WOW" Last weekend one of our local airport had a Airshow. Come to find out that there is some people here in the state of Washington that have flyable warbirds. They call for a flight of 4 planes comming in from the north to show center. The first one that came through was a Zero, than a Hellcat, than a A6 Texan, and a P51. Just the sound of them flying took you back to the days when the sky was full of them.
I am glad you had a great turnout and with the 12 vets from WW II that was the topping on the cake!!
Again, thanks for the pictures!!

Sonny
Old 06-27-2009, 05:25 PM

My 618 robostrut conversion kit arrived this week but I received 2 right wing trunions by mistake so my left wing trunion in on it's way. I had to remove quite a bit of the fiberglass inner gear well area and was hoping that someone could advise me as to if I can simply patch and shape over the areas so that the struts might fit. I am unsure if patching and shaping this area will bond to the preformed fiberglass that is in place

Name:	Hf98596.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1225788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73106.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1225789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51061.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1225790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46380.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1225791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67672.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1225792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52290.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1225793  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.