Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 AM
wesmel22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Gee Bee Z

Well I have a video on the fuel up and pree flight . My wife was using the camera and you can see our since of houmor that we have in our marriage . the plane survived but my landings sucks . I did more mods tonight and will see what this thing will do at the airstrip. I was in a parking lot near a baseball field and couldnt waut to maiden the geebee. I will have the next video which actualy shows it flying and landing tomoorow. It is long so I had trouble downloading it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHb-WS6Kw5Y
Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 AM
PSJDBF

Congrate's on the maiden wesmel , how was the speed with the 17x6 , I went from a 17x6 Xaor to a 17x7 Xoar and it made quite a difference in speed supprisingly.
Sounds like there are a few dramas with those struts they supply with the kit now ?.
Once again well done look forward to seeing the vid.
Steff.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 AM
wesmel22

Instead of using a wire and clasp I used a 4-40 wire straitgh acoross the two wheels in the midle . I bent the wire with 2 90 degree bends about 3/8" hanging down and used a 1/2" hose clamp to hold the wire and the braided wire on the outsied to the wing as sugested in the manuel.I cut the wheel pants higher for ground clearance and had added the wheel locks instead of the spacers . The landing gear is very stable using the hose clam. I have pics .Im uploading the video as we speek its a large video and will kick me off unless I stay on my computer. This plane bounces because the landing gears springs and that the gear flexes forward during the initial contact. . I also found out you have to jb weld the claws straight or they will turn on you every time. My carb needle adjuster came loose again si I jb welded it too on the min nut . Man J weld is some awsome stuff. My motor is highy modified and she flies great . I had tuns of powere and if she would slow just a bit for landings it would hlp. Im thinking of making the ailerons a flap with elevator mix to have it stay on the ground when landing. this thing drops like a rock all by itself.
More pics and the fying vid coming soon .
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
wesmel22

here is the links for the pics of my mods on the landing gear.
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...smel22/geebee/
Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM
wesmel22

OHH I also cut the wheel pannts a lot higherto the point of which you can easily remove the wheel bolt!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 AM
wesmel22

MAIDEN FLIGHT! In a base ball parking lot . this thing has way to much speed for me to fly it there again . Next time will be in the field!!!!!! AMA . you have to come in low and fast almost touch down and shut the throttle down . Still doing mods to make the landing gear worthy for more future flights!! ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ab9Ag8ah4o
Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 AM
wesmel22

The video link would not work . it's trying to upload .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HVgJexIbM
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much of the wheel pant did you remove? Do you have any pictures of that area?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:43 PM
wesmel22

I cut enough off that you barely have any trouble removing the axle bolts . Unfortunately todays flight didnt go to well . the wind was up and was changing directions and I had total cross winds and it landed in the grass and caught the lft wing . No major damage but it bent the landing gear and cracked the top of the lft wing . this is a shame . the saito 180 flies great and the maiden was better and I had a short but wide landing strip in the parking lot which made it interesting . I dont kno weather to sale this thing of fix it . It's attention to detail is perfect . I have OCD. LOL Pluss I'm getting my piolots liscense and need a real plane . Im thinking of selling all of my stuff . 100cc plane a new unbuilt 50cc all ne w top of the line stuff, and the gee beee and 50" electric plane...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
wesmel22

what makes this plane a risk is the landing gear.not its ability to fly or evenlanding it . Put a carbon fiber landin gear off a 50cc extra plane and problem solved . It would look weired but fly great...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM
tailskid

Sorry to hear about your 'landing'. I don't know what I'm going to do with the actual landing gear. My "U" portion is now out of wack. I'm ordering some 4.5" DuBro wheels and see if that will help - it has others, don't know why it won't help me
Old 12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
PSJDBF

May be worth investing in a set of struts from unitracts international , I have had no problems with my landing gear set up ,struts are great ,oleo dampening is also top notch as it doesn't shoot back out to quickly after absorbing the shock as they have a spring grease/oring set up.
Forks are secured in a way that doesn't allow them to twist.
Not to expensive either for what you get.
I also use Big wheels which are inflatable & I have them at a low pressure to stop the bounce.

See Posts 71 & 77 on this thread.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 PM
wesmel22

PSJDF where do you get the struts . It need shock dampening and air tires . Its the initial bouce that kills this plane on the landings . My u portion is a little out of wach and they are both bent to the lft . I can fix the wing I looked at it and it willl be a breeze to fix . I will also try another landing gear setup before next flight!!!!! For sure . this pane is built too well before I give up!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM
wesmel22

Here is the link of what you are talking about what a deal . I wish there were som here in USA . I wonder what the shipping would be??????
Here is the link . http://www.unitracts.co.uk/oleo.html

what size or oleo landing gear did you use . Pease more info!!!! It looks like they wil attactch to the origional landing gear but are a better spring and no twist design.?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM
wesmel22

PSJDBF Please tell us what exact strut u oleo you orderd that will work with the gee bee please This is great info that will save a lot of work!!! thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
PSJDBF

I ordered the standard forked oleo strut with an over all length of 170mm , you tell them the dia of the wire for attaching it to the wire leg , they come with two grub screws to secure it to the leg & theres lots of meat there so you can really get them tight.
You also tell them what size wheel you will be using & they will build the fork to suit.
I used 4'' big wheels they look alittle small but it give's you plenty of room in the pant and they have worked perfectly for me , also with the strut at 170mm I attached them so that the axle is sitting just below the pant so the nose sit's up alttle higher, it hasn't looked like tipping on her nose during landing even when I went through a wall of dirt left by the grader on the side of the strip , the struts & wheels absorbed it all !.
Unitracts were great to deal with, cheap postage & they phoned me to double check the measurements before making them.
When your on the site go to there sports oleo struts page scroll down to the bottom & you'll see standard forked I ordered the 16 at 170 strut for a 4'' wheel for 52 pounds sterling.
If you have the 4.5'' wheel just get them to make it for that size.
All the best Steff.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM
PSJDBF

I've already posted this vid on this thread but incase you missed it heres a not so soft landing with my Geebee off the strip and the struts took it all with no complaints, with out those struts & wheels I'm sure she would have bounced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51x_Vv58zFc
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Last time I checked, it is a violation of the AMA Safety Code to fly over houses. Sorry to rain on the parade, but this needs to stop.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I'm sure the cars driving by the nearby road would have appreciated an out of control maiden flight. The people in those houses are very lucky this is such an great kit that the GeeBee flies well. What would possess you to do a maiden in such a crowded urban area? In your video, I heard you say you couldn't wait, how far is your club field?

R/C Foolish
Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
wesmel22

Guys for your information the only time you have to follow ama rules are when you are at a ama field . This is America and planes fly over those houses all the time . Its a public place and free airspace . I'll fly anywhere I want . I have audiences and onlookers all the time (even cops). asking how to fly and enjoy this hobby . So go stop yourself ! and stay at your ama field . I have my own club!!!!! and its sanction right near my house with my own insurance and my own rules !!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM
wesmel22

Thanks for the info Steff . Thats a great soloution for the plane ! and for all others please keep the forum on subject!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:13 AM
wesmel22

After the last grass landing and damage I decided to add shocks to my Gee bee . I had a rc monster truck that I used the shocks off of and I also changed to a 17x8 prop to slow it down a bit . Hope it works It will be it's third flight ...Here is the picture of the shock mod!!!!
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss311/wesmel22/
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
tailskid

Keep us posted! Looks good....
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
wesmel22

Plane was totaled and it still bounced . It stalled while I did a full throttle during a bouce landing ... this plane is tuff to Land! flies great!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I think that is what all of us have been saying all along..... Sorry for your loss...

R/C Foolish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.