Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
clockguypete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Gee Bee Z

My strut has two set screws holding the socket head bolt. I removed them and then removed the socket head bolt. The set screws were just tightened against the bolts threads, so I will file flats on the screw when reassembled. The thick aluminum spacer between the strut and fork was glued in place with cyan acrylic and when removed found a single wire pin set into the spacer, and runs through the fork just flush with the inside where the thin washer under the socket head bolt holds the pin in place. This is to help keep the fork from turning. I will assemble the oleo's into wing and check to make sure they are in perfect alignment before marking places for flats to be files on bolt, and may drill and install a second pin to hold fork solid. I will also check the other end of the strut where z shape landing gear is held with three set screws, to see if flats were filed for better holding power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44539.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1865388  
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
mbgbe696

Before I welded a washer on the nut and secured it to the fork as posted earlier on this page, I was able to rotate the fork all the way around so now I'm wondering just how strong thecyan acrylic was holding thethick aluminum spacerand if it came lose, or why the pin was not holding . I will have to look into this. thanks for your picture of your strut disassembled.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
clockguypete

Yeah, I like your idea of drilling all the way through the bolt, and installing a pin. These bolts may be difficult to drill through, but we could heat just the very end of it and install with thread lock, and then put the set screws back in tightened against flats spots, then drill straight through the entire strut and very end of bolt where softened, and press in a pin. I think that should do it! A little extra work on these struts now will prevent our nicely finished planes from cart wheeling down the runway just because a wheel gets loose and turns sideways after several flights. I may have beat this subject to death already, but when I finish a plane, I expect to enjoy flying it for several years. This is only possible if close attention to the little details is made. Just ask NASA, one little wrong thing can cause the whole mission to fail:-). Pete
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
mbgbe696

I agree, i think this problem has to be solved, after reading this forum from page 1,the forks turning on landings seems to be one of the major problems .
I'm looking to fly my plane by may.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Bob dunlop
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: clockguypete

Yeah, I like your idea of drilling all the way through the bolt, and installing a pin. These bolts may be difficult to drill through, but we could heat just the very end of it and install with thread lock, and then put the set screws back in tightened against flats spots, then drill straight through the entire strut and very end of bolt where softened, and press in a pin. I think that should do it! A little extra work on these struts now will prevent our nicely finished planes from cart wheeling down the runway just because a wheel gets loose and turns sideways after several flights. I may have beat this subject to death already, but when I finish a plane, I expect to enjoy flying it for several years. This is only possible if close attention to the little details is made. Just ask NASA, one little wrong thing can cause the whole mission to fail:-). Pete
I think I'm just going to JB weld the crap out of mine. JB weld is amazing!
For anybody that has not worked with oleo style struts before...calming down the rebound is key... ie use thick silicone grease to dampen the struts and your plane is allot less likely to bounce on landing...and Dubro inflatable tires with as low air pressure as possible helps immensely.
Also...I've read this entire thread as well as some others on this plane and connecting the flying wires to the wheel pants instead of the struts seems to be the trick.
Ill be flying mine with an E-Flite Power 160 and 10s 5000mah Xoar 18/8 or 18/10 Axial prop...yehaw! It oughta be a screamer!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
mbgbe696

I bought dubro 4.5 inflatable wheels and found them to be heavy around 8 oz each , so im going to look around at other wheels, differant wheels, any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 PM
clockguypete

I bought the dubro 4.5 inflatables, and plan to use them with little or no air in them.  Check this guy out, no flying wires anywhere on the plane or landing gear!  He must have a 35 to 40cc engine on this plane because it really hauls!  I am waiting for the guy who posted the video to let me know what engine he used.  See the landing though, long slow approach, sets it down easy, with a little rudder control on the roll out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBxR...02E42EFDB74740
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Bob dunlop

ORIGINAL: mbgbe696

I bought dubro 4.5 inflatable wheels and found them to be heavy around 8 oz each , so im going to look around at other wheels, differant wheels, any suggestions?
I would stick with the inflatables...this plane has allot of wing...allot of other guys are using them with no weight issues...they really help on landing.
But...if you are already building the plane heavy and the extra pound just won't do...Dubro makes Treaded light weight wheels in 4 1/2"
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Bob dunlop

I bought the dubro 4.5 inflatables, and plan to use them with little or no air in them. Check this guy out, no flying wires anywhere on the plane or landing gear! He must have a 35 to 40cc engine on this plane because it really hauls! I am waiting for the guy who posted the video to let me know what engine he used. See the landing though, long slow approach, sets it down easy, with a little rudder control on the roll out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBxR...02E42EFDB74740
The flying wires are just for aesthetics...in fact they are more of a hinder if connected to the struts...better off connecting them to the wheel pants to help keep them from moving around....at least that's what allot of the other guys are finding.
Nice video
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Bob dunlop

This article shows how to attach the wire to the pants instead of the struts.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1231
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
clockguypete

That motor sure will fly the Gee Bee like a true racer Bob ! Thanks for your idea about the thick silicon grease. I wish these oleo's had a plunger inside as well to slow down the return speed. They act like landing on a pogo stick with the stock set up :-) Pete
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Bob dunlop

That motor sure will fly the Gee Bee like a true racer Bob ! Thanks for your idea about the thick silicon grease. I wish these oleo's had a plunger inside as well to slow down the return speed. They act like landing on a pogo stick with the stock set up :-) Pete
Boing Boing Boing

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
clockguypete

Hahahaha, funny but your right on! I have done more reading and pre-planning on this plane than any other so far. I have flown my DeNight special by hanger 9 with a 60 eflight motor, and 2) 3cell 5000ma packs in series. It flies like a typical pylon racer, flat and fast. Kinda cool, but sorta like a sheet of plywood with a big motor on it! So for the Gee Bee which is similar racing design, I decided to spice things up a bit with a TME smoke system just for added fun! First time running smoke, but everything tested and worked out well on the test stand. I am going to put the 16 oz. smoke tank right under the CG in the belly. The entire interior will be fuel proofed of course, even though I had no leaks throughout the testing. I will take pictures of my build to post here in case anyone is interested.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
maneba

ORIGINAL: mbgbe696

For my HK Gee Bee 120 i bought robart scale wheels. Without the inner foam they are like inflatable ones. No rebound.

ORIGINAL: Bob dunlop

The flying wires are just for aesthetics...in fact they are more of a hinder if connected to the struts...better off connecting them to the wheel pants to help keep them from moving around....at least that's what allot of the other guys are finding.
Nice video
I have read the Gee Bee review about flying wires connected to the pants instead to the struts. I've to disagree. Keep the struts firm is the first thing. You keep the pants straight using 3M syntetic VELCRO between the inside of the pant and the fork.

I am going to put the 16 oz. smoke tank right under the CG in the belly. The entire interior will be fuel proofed of course, even though I had no leaks throughout the testing. I will take pictures of my build to post here in case anyone is interested.
24 OZ is the minimum for such a motor! I'll use 24 OZ on my ASP 180.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
clockguypete

Right Stephano, I will use a 24 oz. fuel tank for the 1.80 glow engine, and the 16 oz. is for the smoke oil delivery, which provides about 2-3 oz. of smoke oil per minute when smoke pump on, so I can have 5 min of smoke on and off during a typical 7 to 10 minute flight.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Bob dunlop

Hi Maneba,not sure about the HK version but if you Velcro the struts to the wheel pants on the Seagull Geebee the struts won't be able to work.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM
maneba

Hi Maneba,not sure about the HK version but if you Velcro the struts to the wheel pants on the Seagull Geebee the struts won't be able to work.
You are right. I forgot that the wheel pants are different. I've to think about it but i'll use the wires for the struts not for the pants.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
dderst

This article shows how to attach the wire to the pants instead of the struts.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1231

Does any one have any kind of history with this method of attaching the wires to the pant? I would think it would crack the pant from vibration especially when flying off grass.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Bob dunlop

There's one at our flying field (grass) been flying it for years with the wires connected to the spats no problem.
You don't pull them real tight...just enough so there is no slack.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 PM
clockguypete

I've been thinking about this part of the build and I think I am going to attach my wires to the struts via a wrap around clamp with two holes on either side to attach wires. This will give some added side to side support to struts, and may JB weld clamps to struts as well as small bolts and nuts. Then I plan to epoxy two blocks of lite ply inside wheel pants opposite each axle end to keep pant from coming into contact with tires should they get pushed over by grass or less than perfect landing. I will post photo's when I get to this part of install.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
clockguypete

Here is the video of the Satio 1.80 FS engine with TME smoke system! http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_ann...referrer=watch
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
lomcevac540T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about this part of the build and I think I am going to attach my wires to the struts via a wrap around clamp with two holes on either side to attach wires. This will give some added side to side support to struts, and may JB weld clamps to struts as well as small bolts and nuts. Then I plan to epoxy two blocks of lite ply inside wheel pants opposite each axle end to keep pant from coming into contact with tires should they get pushed over by grass or less than perfect landing. I will post photo's when I get to this part of install.
I am at the same point in my build. I am trying to figure out which way I want to try. I also am thinking I want to attach the wires to the struts then figure out a way to support the pants to the gear. I just don't want it to interfere with the movement of the oleo struts. That seems to be where it gets tricky. Even thought about using some sort of foam on the inside of the pants to help stabilize it. If anyone has any other ideas, please post them up.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
clockguypete

Here is my latest idea for a two piece bracket made from aluminum sheet stock, that supports the wheel pants and provides a place to attach flying wires too! Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1866093  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Bob dunlop

Well...here was the problem with the one of these that we have at our field....the forks were turning and the strut would turn up at the wing until we JB welded them on both ends..that was a quick, simple and permanent fix.
When you have the wire attached to the strut all seems fine until you compress the strut from the wieght of the plane landing and then there is slack in the wire causing the whole concept to be useless not to mention the wire ripped into the spat..again the wires are really just for looks...but we did find that attaching the wire to the spats seemed to work really well and never had another issue with any kind ...soft or hard landings.
Just tryin to help
Bob

Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
mbgbe696

What parts on the struts did you jb weld? where?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.