Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

I have my eye on this plane and was wondering how it stacks up.

I have been thinking about getting the plans to build the Das Ugly Stick from RC Modeler, and then Model Airplane News did a review on the Electrostick.

The thing I like looking at the Electrostick are that no glues are used in the completion of the model so it can be stored back in the original box when not in use. That would make transporting it long distances easier, without worrying about damaging it.

How well does it fly with the installed motor/ESC setup? Are the servo's a good match? How long of a flight do you get on the 3200Mah LiPo battery pack and is there any room for a larger pack in the nose?

This is rated as a .40 sized aircraft and the mini servo's seem a little small.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
jrcaster

Default RE: Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

nobody likes the elecrostick here? Wow!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
tubamike78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my lhs has the rxr version and i'm going to get it this weakend. their is plenty of room for larger battery packs. their is a review on rcuniverse with video of it flying, looks to be a great flyer. i'm going to be running an external bec since i will be flying it on 4-cell lipo's.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I have the Electrostik, but not the RxR version. It assembles very quickly and has plenty of room for equipment. I was going to use an AXI motor in mine but opted for the Electrifly motor instead as the "X" mount on the AXI wouldn't fit the firewall. I was set up for a 60 Amp Castle Creations Phoenix ESC, three HS-81MG servos, a separate Castle BEC, and a 4cell A123 battery. The recommended Electrifly motor will not take a 4cell battery. I blew three of them. Finally I went back to the AXI 2826 in an Electrifly motor mount. It had to be modified to mount the AXI. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet with the motor problems. The AXI sings on the 4cell A123 pack.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

I just ordered one for myself today. Tower Hobbies has the receiver ready one on sale for $209. Plus add in their email discount codes and free shipping I ordered the RxR plane and a new Futaba 2.4 receiver for a total of $249.

I also placed a second order later and got a new battery 3s lipo 3200mah, some extra props and a few building supplies.

I can't wait to get it up in the air. I hope it a good fling plane.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
MrMulligan

I've had a few Sticks in my 30 some years in the hobby and I don't think there is such a thing as a bad flying Stick. An amazing design. It's also probably the best buy in an electric plane.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

Well my stick came in today. Got it all together, just need to trim everything out with my radio.

I'm not sure when I will get to fly it. I have not flown a plane in almost 8 years. I have been fling my Blade CX2 around the house for the past 4 months though. I may wait and find someone with a buddy box and let them take me up for the first time.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
fadi

Can you please report back about the ElectroStik RxR?
I am pretty much set on this model, and would like to gather some feedback before I crack and spend my money.

It seems however that the recommended 3S 11.1v 3200mAh 20C LiPo pack from GreatPlanes is out of production, I will have to go with a different supplier...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
MrMulligan

Enerland LiPo's from Hobby Lobby are a good deal here. I just bought 2 3700 3cell packs for about $80 each. I have been using these batteries since they were Polyquest and cost over $35 more. They work well for me and balance well on my Cellpro 10 charger. I believe they also have 3200 packs.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Johnnyrocco123

Check out hobby City for batteries. as for the electrostik, I have been looking into this plane for a while, just wondering why it's so unpopular? It's a great price and looks like it performs equally or better than the Eflite Ultra stick.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hey Guys............Here is the replacement for the 3200 11.1 volt lipo for the Electro Stick. It's also cheaper at $79.95

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVYK0&P=7

Also......... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWRB6&P=7 $104.99 (3350 11.1 25C)

Also........ Horizon has a "E-Flight" 3200 11.1 for $89.99 http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLB32003S (You will have to change the E-Flight power connector with the Deans ultra)

Cheers

Tcat
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Gave the Elecrtro Stick RXR the Virgin voyage last night. (2 flights) Flies great just like any other Stik! I also have the GP 40 & 60 size stick & it flies just the same. like it is on rails.
Gear used......
Stock ESC & Motor
GP 3200 lipo & GP 3350 lipo as listed in above post
Spectrum D6Xi & dual wing servos
2 3/4 inch lite wheels (grass field)
9 1/2 minutes flight time full & part throttle
Bantam BC6 charger & the new Triton 2 EQ charger. (One each battery)

I like both of the above chargers...BUT....the Bantam is a bit easier to work with on several fronts......

Nice display on the new Triton2 EQ though.......Almost a toss up........

Tcat
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

hi all,

well yesterday my electrostik also had its first flight, it was quite windy 10 to 15 mph but we (had a friend who flies jets maiden it ) decided to take it upand see how it flew.

well to say the least it flew decent but it was nose heavy (needed almost all elevator down trim) had to add 1 1/4 oz lead right at the tail after that it flew fine on the second landing the wind had picked up and he was able to do a harrier landing with it, was really neat to watch. he slowed it down into the wind and it just slowly came down to a 3 point landing.

i think it will be a keeper.

on a side note we also took my new pulse xt 25E up for its maiden and all i can say is WOW it took off in about 10ft and was fast using the power 25 motor and a 13X8 prop. the rolls were very axial and fast. another keeper

both planes were flown using hobby city zippy 3600mah 3s packs.

bassman
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Johnnyrocco123

Just got an electrostik, Im flying the same battery, I paid $37.99 at hobbycity.com. Check it out. You will never hit horizon or tower for batteries again. Ive been gettign my batteries here for the past year. Try zippys they are solid packs.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Johnnyrocco123

3600mah in the electrostik will definately make it nose heavy. I use a 3200 it balanced nicely. My motor firewall is not straight at all. Have to trim the rudder. Bad craftmanship, but you cant epect much out of an ARF. I do love the plane, just wish it was put together better, luck of the draw.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM
poot77

ORIGINAL: Johnnyrocco123

3600mah in the electrostik will definately make it nose heavy. I use a 3200 it balanced nicely. My motor firewall is not straight at all. Have to trim the rudder. Bad craftmanship, but you cant epect much out of an ARF. I do love the plane, just wish it was put together better, luck of the draw.
The firewall is supposed to have right thrust built in,its not a mistake.

Tim

Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
redraze

Wow post hasn't been updated in a long while.
I'm getting a stik also in 2 weeks and I was wondering how easy it will be to fly after I learn to fly a plane like this trainer
http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...17de64f262a78f

This stik looks awsome and I can't wait to get it
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: redraze

Wow post hasn't been updated in a long while.
I'm getting a stik also in 2 weeks and I was wondering how easy it will be to fly after I learn to fly a plane like this trainer
http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...17de64f262a78f

This stik looks awsome and I can't wait to get it
Stiks are alot crisper on the controls over a trainer. Things happen faster. Dial back the throws and add some expo. Had a Global Lucky Stik for my second plane. Sure do miss it.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Intruder38

I've been flying the ElectroStik for over a year. It was, and remains for now, my only electric so my experience is limited to just that one example. But I also have been flying nitro BigStiks for a long, long time. The Electrostik is only slightly smaller than my BigStik 40, but half the weight. It flies great, lots of maneuverability when asked or rock steady otherwise. I fly it as the RxR was delivered and balanced it simply by moving the battery. It will bounce around in gusty winds, but not so bad as to be nerve-wracking. My only complaint has been the tailwheel which I have found difficult to keep aligned; no matter how greased the landing, it always wants to head off in another direction. A quick bend has brought it back into alignment each time so far. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
redraze

I learned the hard way this weekend that flying in too small a place with big pines on the far end (and bad depth perseption) isn't a good thing... I wrote off the 182 but saved all the elecs but one servo. What I did learn though was use a bigger space and use elevator along with ailerons when making a sharp turn instead of just ailerons.