Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VQ Pilatus Porter PC-6 Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VQ Pilatus Porter PC-6 Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Rhus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ Pilatus Porter PC-6 Electric Conversion

(I posted this last week but it seems that RCU was testing a new website update and my posting was lost.)

This Christmas my Wife surprised me with a VQ Pilatus Porter PC-6 ARF. This is the first real surprise gift in our 10 Christmas’ married. It’s okay as long as you can handle TOTALLY AWESOME[8D]! Now this plane is from my wife so I’d better not screw it up.

I looked several times for postings concerning this ARF but haven't really found much besides some threads on some extraordinary large scale Porters. I’ve decided to chronicle my work here as I haven’t yet done a build thread. I really enjoy reading others build sagas and seeing the creative work of the RC community, most of which have far more experience than I and far superior skill. However, the work begins now and I look forward to your input.

My wife bought it at my local hobby shop ([link=http://earlshobbyhangar.com]Earl's HobbyHanger[/link]) but the plane is primarily distributed to the US via [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/home.asp]HobbyPeople[/link].

The plan is for electric conversion. I don’t care to discuss the virtues of electric vs. combustion power. However I will say that in the semi-rural area that I live, there are still many safe flying areas in large parks and on private land available for me to fly from. Using Nitro/Gas may prevent me from utilizing some of these convenient sites.

First Impressions-

The plane looks pretty good out of the box. Well packaged and intact. The covering is well done, tight, seems adequately durable. The best about the covering is the detail printed on it. Rivets, panel lines, and other details are pre-printed quite nicely on the plane. The photos lead one to believe the color scheme is white, blue, and red, but the “red” is a bit more magenta than red on my plane. I don’t know if that is intentional or not. I’m not going to worry about it. The construction seems adequate. The landing gear is close to scale but a bit rough around the edges. The dowel that makes up part of the landing strut is fairly poor workmanship. It is probably an easy fix. I have been known to scrap the hardware that comes with an ARF right out of the box, and this stuff is now different. Actually, it’s worse than other stuff I’ve thrown away. The “white” control horns are more off-white with discolored grey swirls. They are usable but I’m going to try to find something a bit nicer looking. Wheels look fine but they’ll probably get switched out as well. Windows look great. I may have to do something to the interior because it is so visible.

The only real problem with this model is the tail wheel set up. It looks to be awkward to set up and is nowhere near scale. I don’t care about perfect scale- Hey, there is a better than average chance I’ll crash it at some point anyway, but it’s totally in the wrong place. I may need some help figuring something out a new tail wheel. I’ll be stuffing servos in tonight and hopefully be able to provide a few pics this weekend.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Rhus

Default RE: VQ Pilatus Porter PC-6 Electric Conversion

This is the RCU [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitprofile.cfm?kit_id=5071]profile[/link].

This is the HobbyPeople[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159937.asp]Link[/link].

It is also available in [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159938.asp]yellow[/link].
Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
gxaid

Rhus, how is your PC-6 project progressing?
Your thread just came up the time I just decided to have the same model as my next project, also electric.
Since I am quite new with airplanes, any of your posts here will be highly appreciated and useful.
Include any photos of your project if possible.

George
Old 04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Yo Brandon, This sounds like it might be you ! from Mike. [ I'm across the river ]
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Rhus

I didn't get any interest at the beginning, when I posted the thread so I sorta let it slide.

The update is this- I've ordered a 4020 Scorpion and an appropriate speed control for the motor. It should just barely fit inside the inner front of the cowl. The Scorpion motor is way overkill however, this plane is designed for nitro iron and I'd rather add motor weight than lead wait. I'll post the calcs on the motor soon. The price difference is inconsequential to me, and it should insure that it runs very cool inside that skinny cowl, even with a 3 blade prop. I've really liked the (3) Scorp motors I have used, because of a couple of reasons. First- they're performance rated pretty honestly. They will put out what they say they'll put out when loaded up. Second- there is a much broader selection of size and kv rating than their is on the Eflite motors (which is what most people around here are using). Third- They cost less than the comparable Hacker/Axi/Eflites, which are all great motors, but too much money. I know others have their opinions, but that is mine.

Lucien at [link=http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/]Innov8tiveDesigns[/link] has been out of town at the Toledo Show, "Weak Signals," so my order has taken a slight delay. It’s okay.
My local hobby shop, [link=http://earlshobbyhangar.com/store/index.php]Earl's Hobby Hanger[/link] just set up an account with them and we’re waiting for their first order which was place the day he had to head out to the show. Previously, I’ve been getting my Scorpion motors directly from him which always gone smoothly. I just prefer to get my stuff locally, if I can.

MormonMike- I think you're talking to me but my name is Aaron. Don't worry though, I've been trying to get to know everyones names out at the club and have had mixed success. I've caused a few awkward moments by getting names wrong out there at the field.

Since there is finally a little interest, I'll pick back up on this thread and post some more stuff soon.

Take care and happy flying.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Rhus

BTW- I did start cutting in servos. The servo holes in the wings are oriented so that the servos are broadside to the wind. I decided to cut the mounts out and mount them flat and hidden in the wing. This is actually pretty easy to do but the covering is going to be tough to match. I'll figure something out. I have also added the servos for flaps the same way.

A couple of other problems have surfaced. The "white" cowl paint doesn't seem to match the "white" covering very well. I will probably just live with it. Also, the faux turbo exhaust ports on the cowl, simply fell off. I could epoxy them back on, or I may make some out of real metal tubing, and heat them to get that heat-stained look the real ones get.

If you love the PC-6, you should check out this model at [link=http://www.icare-rc.com/pilatusporter32.htm]Icare.com[/link]. This beast would be a fun project and would probably cause some of the gear-heads out at the club to squirm with envy.

I'll see about getting pictures of my progress on the PC-6 tonight after the kids are in bed.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Rhus

MormonMike- I know you have atleast a couple of porters. You should post your pictures here. That orange one you have is a beutte.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I think this will be my next plane, if it's ever back in stock!

Perfect solution for my unused 46AX and standard servos.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Rhus

Here are the servo bays and some other general pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37764.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1184016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60374.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1184017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69272.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1184018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94948.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1184019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd42210.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1184020  
Old 04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
gxaid

Here I am again, me and my questions!

Do standard servos for aileron control fit in the wing or low profile ones are necessary?

You also mentioned flaps??? I think this kit does not feature flaps. Are you going to cut them out of the wing?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

George

Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Rhus

Standard servos are fine.

This ARF does not feature flaps. My plan is to cut flaps in to the wing.

Sorry about the slow progress but I need to raise 3 children (ages 3, 6, and 9) and keep a wife happy. I'll post progress as it's accomplished and I am glad to answer questions as often as you have them.

Take care.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Rhus

For those of you wondering what happened to this thread:

This plane was discontinued, redesigned, and re-released in an a version that requires no electric conversion. Because of this, I dropped the thread. I hope to finish this plane this winter and will post the final product when I do.

Happy Flying.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rhus: Have you seen this thread?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8807789/tm.htm
Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Rhus

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Rhus: Have you seen this thread?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8807789/tm.htm
Good thread Tom. I don't mind the new color scheme but I don't love it either. Should be very easy to see though.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 AM
rog1

please can you help a fellow modeler  in the united kindom  with a pilatus porter pc6  with the correct alleron elevator amd rudder throws lost instructions when wife had a dusting session  regarda and good flying roger