Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Worst ARF EVER!!! Will's Hobby. . .

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Worst ARF EVER!!! Will's Hobby. . .

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
mr502go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst ARF EVER!!! Will's Hobby. . .

The Will's Hobby Zero has GOT to be the worst ARF EVER!!! I am building this bird for a friend, and it has single handedly turned me from airplanes to Helis. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING has fit almost close to the way it's supposed to. I have put kits together that were easier than this ARF. The hardware is junk. Nothing is glued properly. For instance. . . the "retract" mounts were so small I don't think retracts from a .25 sized would fit, but it's supposed to use a 90 size engine. The covering is PAINTED!!!! You have to be unusually careful with the parts to avoid chipping the paint off the covering (good luck) and then once you do, you get to take the crash course in mixing paint and airbrushing chip repairs. If this bird were mine, I swear I would take turns with a 4lb sledge and a sawzall to this thing. Thanks for listening and sorry for the rant, but I swear the guy that drank his lunch and put this thing in a box to be marketed to the public should be drawn and quartered!!! I have been working on this thing forever. . ie months. I am generally very patient, but I literally spend I dunno 30 minutes working on it, and SOMETHING comes up that forces me to walk away before beating the snot out of it. Not ONE single step has worked the way it's supposed to not ONE. BE WARE of this aircraft, if someone offers you one in "kit" form, tell him/her it will cost them $400 to take it off of their hands. Hopefully this post at least gives ya a laugh. God knows, I've had about enough of this ARF. Long live the rotary wing!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Muroc1

Default RE: Worst ARF EVER!!! Will's Hobby. . .

Thanks for the warning about Will's Hobby. I'll make sure I spread the word about them. Although, this is the first I ever heard of them.

Perhaps you could steer your friend toward a better builder of airplanes? If you need a hand on what those are just ask.

Frank
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a case of you get what you pay for. Have you tried contacting the manufacutrer/distributor? That's why I prefer to stick with the more reputable companies. Not that they are always perfect but at least someone is there to take care of quality issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have one and I am very happy with it thus far. Granted, I'm not even trying to build it "out of the box". I'm making lots of changes to make it more scale and will also be refinishing the airplane so the paint job was of no consequence to me. I paid less than $150 for mine, shipping included, and I would gladly have paid another $100 for what came in the box. So far I have found nothing wrong with the basic airframe construction other than, as stated above, the retracts mounts are a joke. It is certainly not a drop together ARF but for a $150 I didn't expect it to be. Just my .02 cents worth.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking zero.experience shows.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

sounds to me like "wills hobby" isnt R/c after all lol
Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mr502go

The Will's Hobby Zero has GOT to be the worst ARF EVER!!! I am building this bird for a friend, and it has single handedly turned me from airplanes to Helis.

Ive seen some pretty bad ARFs ..nothing out there can steer me towards buying a heli
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
mr502go

Chad. . Nice build!! How are you controlling your rudder, pull-pull?? I like your choice of tailwheels. Their stock setup is a nightmare, though it's just about there. If I had planned on taking on a kit build. . . no worries. I quoted my buddy $150 to build this thing expecting it to be a "normal" ARF. It isn't If I could make the calls necessary to re-design the kit and spend the associated $$ then so be it. . . that isn't the case. As far as the re-finishing. I've never planned to re-finish, so it is a huge deal. I guess it all boils down to marketing. If it had been marketed as a kit plane. . .great, but it's not an arf. I have less time in rebuilding a different arf AFTER putting it in. I built the retracts into my hanger 9 P-51 in LESS time than it's taken to get them sorted out on this thing, and this is supposedly "retract ready" Great looking pieces in the box. . . if you have to put it together AS it comes IN the box. . . it's not gonna happen. That's all I'm saying, to me that says garbage. As far as the heli's go. . . you buy them, parts fit, bolt them together and fly. =) No surprises. . . at least not until your thumbs get in the way!!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Black Drape

Chad

You and I got our Zeros at the same time. I have flown mine, and can tell you of some of the things to watch out for. If you can,sand off the white jellcoat, mine is so cracked it looks like a spider web. you can't let it sit in the sun, the fuse will get so soft you can't pick it up. One of my fiberglass wing tips must have been airtight, because when it got hot it swelled up and you can see wherer it is glud to the inside formers. A couple of pin holes in the bottom might prevent this happening. I had put some Robart mechanical retracrs in mine and they were not strong enough to hold the plane up. I have just put some CJs in it, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. The plane is a great flyer, I have an OS120 in mine but it is not by any means over powered. I fully sheeted my wing and glassed it, then put the panel lines in with chart tape and primer. I painted it with Warbird Paints, it really is a good looking plane, until you take it outside. I don't know what they use for fiberglass resin but it is Mickey Rat.

Hope you have better luck with yours than I did.
Ron
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: mr502go

Chad. . Nice build!! How are you controlling your rudder, pull-pull?? I like your choice of tailwheels. Their stock setup is a nightmare, though it's just about there. If I had planned on taking on a kit build. . . no worries. I quoted my buddy $150 to build this thing expecting it to be a "normal" ARF. It isn't If I could make the calls necessary to re-design the kit and spend the associated $$ then so be it. . . that isn't the case. As far as the re-finishing. I've never planned to re-finish, so it is a huge deal. I guess it all boils down to marketing. If it had been marketed as a kit plane. . .great, but it's not an arf. I have less time in rebuilding a different arf AFTER putting it in. I built the retracts into my hanger 9 P-51 in LESS time than it's taken to get them sorted out on this thing, and this is supposedly "retract ready" Great looking pieces in the box. . . if you have to put it together AS it comes IN the box. . . it's not gonna happen. That's all I'm saying, to me that says garbage. As far as the heli's go. . . you buy them, parts fit, bolt them together and fly. =) No surprises. . . at least not until your thumbs get in the way!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have added a music wire tiller arm to the leading edge of the rudder which extends down into the fuselage for the pull-pull system. The elevator control horn was made internal as well, though I can't remember if that is how the airplane comes or if I modified it. (Been a long time since I worked on the Zero!)

Just to be clear, I was not trying to discount your opinion of the airplane as it certainly is not up to the standard of Top Flite or Hangar 9 offerings or many others. However, for folks like me who like to build and don't mind doing the work, the basic "kit" is a pretty good start for the money invested. I mean, I can't even buy a TF .60 size warbird kit for what I paid for this Zero, much less an ARF. Despite all the issues I hope it turns out to be a good, reliable flyer when you're done with it. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Chad

You and I got our Zeros at the same time. I have flown mine, and can tell you of some of the things to watch out for. If you can,sand off the white jellcoat, mine is so cracked it looks like a spider web. you can't let it sit in the sun, the fuse will get so soft you can't pick it up. One of my fiberglass wing tips must have been airtight, because when it got hot it swelled up and you can see wherer it is glud to the inside formers. A couple of pin holes in the bottom might prevent this happening. I had put some Robart mechanical retracrs in mine and they were not strong enough to hold the plane up. I have just put some CJs in it, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. The plane is a great flyer, I have an OS120 in mine but it is not by any means over powered. I fully sheeted my wing and glassed it, then put the panel lines in with chart tape and primer. I painted it with Warbird Paints, it really is a good looking plane, until you take it outside. I don't know what they use for fiberglass resin but it is Mickey Rat.

Hope you have better luck with yours than I did.
Ron
Thanks for the heads up Ron. I've heard about the issues with the glass getting soft in the sun which is somewhat of a concern as I live in Arizona! Maybe I'll make it a "Hamp" and paint it in the overall light grey scheme so as not to soak up too much heat! Mine will have an OS 1.08 in it which should do the job. It pulls my 15.5 pound Sea Fury around with lots of authority. (understatement) I have not decided on retracts yet though they most likely will be pneumatic Robarts of some sort. I will sheet and glass my wing as well and I was thinking of adding flaps. Do you think the airplane would benefit from the addition of flaps? Thanks again for the advice.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Black Drape

Chad

I don't know about the flaps. I never did get a good landing with the Robarts. They were great gear, just not heavy enough for this plane. The gear legs on this plane are eight and a half inches long and the 3/16 wire just would not support the plane. The Century Jet gear are very sturdy and have the correct forward sweep to them. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to try them this weekend.

Ron
Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I got the willshobby seafury , beside the simple lie that it was "retract ready " lol , mine was a good deal , I based it added split flaps ect , fuse is thick fiberglass ect ect .
Wills was distributed by NewYork grace , a horrible ebay seller now long gone , I was told that Giant Scale PLanes , the original distributor of CMP was supposed to import them about two years ago , that never happen .
SO I think there done , I know that Nitro Planes (i think is all sold out ) .
If you get the planes under $150 , your getting a good deal .
My fixed gear rails were glued in so good , that I burned a dremil tool out trying to removed them for retracts lol -so needless to say , mine was glued quite well .
If you look up wills hobby seafury on RCU , my pic are floating around
Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 AM
LDM

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 AM
LDM

here you go , I added the retracts , split the flaps , counter balance in the tail , and interior kit and sliding canopy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70035.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1176412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66884.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1176413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37719.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1176414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96537.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1176415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny28039.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1176416  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Wills Hobby, seems to be just another name for NitroPlanes/RaidenTech. A lot of their bigger stuff is CMP. China Model Products. I have to agree for a basic building block they are great for the price. Just toss the manual and all the hardware, and go from there. I've built the 52" and 90" P38's, the 120 scale P-47 and Corsair. Added name brand hardware and retracts, even built my own for the Corsair. And they all flew great, they for the most part behave like trainers.

Heck you buy a big dollar kit and you can still have problems. My VQ P38 at nearly 4 1/2 times the price of the CMP, had silicone caulking used to hold the formers to the fiberglass shell for the gondola. It exploded first time I extended the landing gear, on the bench. Also everyone of the bellcrank supports for the Fowler flaps, were just jambed in place, no glue at all. Loads of fun getting them glued in and working. I ended up stripping the covering to re glue everything, as if I couldn't see it I couldn't trust it after what I had found so far.

Even after rechecking everything on it I still didn't trust it. Sold it off, and disclosed all I had found wrong with it, for half of what I paid for the kit, with Robart retracts, ,struts, wheels, and all new servos in it.

Gotta remember these are being built at a factory where the workers are making in a year what you make in a week or month. But for what they are I think they're pretty darn good.
I'm going to build another NitroPlanes/CMP 90" P38.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Black Drape

Hey Chad

I would like to report. It wasn't raining when I got off work tonight, the wind was fairly calm, and the Zero was charged, so I headed for the field. Wow! what a difference some decent gear make. Got two flights in and never nosed it over once. Naw, you're not gonna need flaps. I kept just a little power on till it was about a foot or two above the ground and then cut the throttle and it settled right in. Happy Happy Happy. With the old gear it would nose over every time it landed, if you tried to turnit while it was taxing it would fold in and ground loop. That is all gone now, it's a keeper. Due to the poor quality of the fiberglass, I don't think I would waste the tie to put flaps on it, unless you just like to build. It sure does fly nice though.

Ron
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the Wills Hobby VooDoo, the Spitfire, Ultimate, and Mustang, and all have been well built. With the laser cutting and interlocking CAD designs, straight and true, light airframes are more the norm than the exception these days IMO. Hardware is always an issue, manuals are worthless, and some of the gear is unscale like and weak. All this can, as has been pointed out, be fixed or upgraded by the experienced builder. The paint on the war birds is flat like it should be, unlike some of the other offerings by companies like H9 and Great Planes. Also, it is easily touched up and if it doesn't match perfectly, it looks even better. War birds were not 'pretty' things. They were working machines. All in all, I would also give Wills Hobby planes an above average grade for the money.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Hey Chad

I would like to report. It wasn't raining when I got off work tonight, the wind was fairly calm, and the Zero was charged, so I headed for the field. Wow! what a difference some decent gear make. Got two flights in and never nosed it over once. Naw, you're not gonna need flaps. I kept just a little power on till it was about a foot or two above the ground and then cut the throttle and it settled right in. Happy Happy Happy. With the old gear it would nose over every time it landed, if you tried to turnit while it was taxing it would fold in and ground loop. That is all gone now, it's a keeper. Due to the poor quality of the fiberglass, I don't think I would waste the tie to put flaps on it, unless you just like to build. It sure does fly nice though.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I do like to build but I have plenty of projects to scratch that particular itch. I want the Zero to look good so will take the time to refinish it but I think I will pass on cutting into the wing to add the flaps this time around.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 AM
LDM

"Wills Hobby, seems to be just another name for NitroPlanes/RaidenTech. A lot of their bigger stuff is CMP. China Model Products"
No , wills hobby is a manufacturer ,not a distributor . They did try to distribute direct under the name New York grace , Nitro is a distributor , they dont make anything but do have exclusive copies of products made for them , example the AT6 texan , they had the CMP version and they had a knockoff , same with the 73" P40 when it was first introduced , they had a CMP and a knockoff .
I think wills hobby would have had success in the USA if they had a distributor that was american and understood ethics , quality and customer servace . The US-distributor on ebay was one of the worse sellers on ebay . I contacted the factory direct in China and never ever received a responce .
The wills hobby planes you see at Nitro Planes are whats left of the batch , I dont know if any new inventory is being made at this time
Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
robertwilkerson

In requards to the Will Hobby zero I have had mine in a box for 2 years now, I have since began building does anyone have the bad instuctions I cant locate mine and have questions about some of the parts that came with it. And the cg would be nice, any ideas about putting a 26cc gaser in this I have a ccrc and question the construction (too much vibs). "Bad instruction are better than none at all."
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

haha thats what you get for buying a crappy japanese plane.. guess you should have bought i dont know say a p-51 or p-38 or something other than a jap airplane. haha laughing very loud at you.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 AM
LDM

rob , no instruction sorry , gasser will save you from adding weight , the zero and seafury need nose weight .
Use 25% of mac as a starting point for CG , they supplier has no clue as do most suppliers of arfs .
Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Estang

I am doing this build ATM. So far I am not having any problems. I am using Robart HD 85 deg. retracts and have to open up the area for the  housing and beef it up a little.

When I get home tonight, I will post what info you need..

Eric
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Wills Hobby, seems to be just another name for NitroPlanes/RaidenTech.
Nope...

Will's Hobby
6238 Wesley Street
Jackson, MS 39213-9790

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.