Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

hobbyking ep-pitts 42" electric arf ???

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

hobbyking ep-pitts 42" electric arf ???

Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 AM
k-harr26
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbyking ep-pitts 42" electric arf ???

Hello,

I have been looking for an electric bi-plane receintly and came across this plane. Hobbykings ep-pitts 42" electric arf and was looking for any info on this. It looks like a decently built plane and priced well. If you have one or seen one any info would be appreciated. This plane is in the size range I am looking for. I have everything for it except motor and speed controller. I was looking to put a 40a speed controller and a 35-42 series motor in it.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=8785
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Jay Jay Johnson
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: hobbyking ep-pitts 42

Just received my hobbycity pitts in the mail today. havent started on it yet but quility looks real good. From what I see at this point, I am very pleased.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
IAMKAOS

curious,..what did they charge for shipping?. sometime ago one of my buddies started to buy a plane from them and the shipping was going to cost as much as the plane because it was going to be shipped from asia
Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Jay Jay Johnson

Plane shipped to my door $121.00
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not bad at all !! I was looking at them for my first larger eletric conversion . I am thinking of going eletric on my CMP BF109 , Hobby King makes it very reasonable
Old 08-30-2009, 07:31 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Jay Jay Johnson

Just received my hobbycity pitts in the mail today. havent started on it yet but quility looks real good. From what I see at this point, I am very pleased.
Jay, if you're going to electrify it I'd be real interested in watching your build thread if you would do one.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Jay Jay Johnson

I have some other projects going right now, so I dont really know when I will really be tearing into this plane. As I get to it I will give any information I can. I did glue the tail feathers on last night. Everything on that end went together strait and true. I am having to feel my way thrue some of it, because I did not receive a manual with the kit. And as of now I cannot find one online.I am putting together a e-flight pitts right now. So when I finish it I will be moving on to this one.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
gwebber
My Feedback: (1)

I recently finished this ARF, not bad considering the poor quality manual and many missing hardware pieces. If you are building, you will probably need to:
    [*]make a trip to the hardware store for missing bolts, nuts, etc.[*]sand off the ply wood tabs that you will epoxy into the ends of both wings to attach supports. They are about 1 mm too long, so they don't allow the supports to fit snugly against the wings.[*]reinforce much of the interior structure, especially the points of attachment for the upper wing supports.[*]improve the connecting links between upper and lower ailerons.[*]shim the tail feathers to align properly.[/list]I haven't flown yet, and there is some disagreement on the HobbyKing discussion forum about center of gravity, anywhere from even with the leading edge of the lower wing to 35 mm aft. I would really appreciate a suggestion from somone who has trimmed this bird for flight successfully. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
knormang

Still assembling my Pitts. The servo Tray was missing, and the cabane struts(rear pair). are too short and I must make new ones. The manual IS "The Pitts". A beginner would be at a complete loss!Outside of this ,it is a nice model. I used a Turnigy 35-42 on a shortened motor mount.I prefer the motor mounted on the outside of the mount.I am changing my electrics over to the new Hobby King Bullet Connectors as all their batteries and motors come already equipped with these.As gwebber mentioned above, nuts and bolts are a problem. I switched a lot of their 3mm stuff to 4-40. More available.I shall also use 4-40 Blind nuts to attach the interplane struts.Looking forward to the spring and the maiden flight.
Ken.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
gwebber

Ken, are you certain you need new struts? Two of the aluminum struts are somewhat longer. I found that mounting the lower wing to the fuse and then attaching the two black cabane supports allowed me to try both short and longer aluminum struts. One combination (I believe short struts in front) worked well. Any thoughts about where you will start with the CG?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:49 PM
ProScaleRc

Recently had one of these; best $74 ever spent. Flew great!

Flies ok 3D as well, hovers, harriers etc. Won't do a rolling harrier 1m off the deck; hence why I had one of these. [&:]
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
gwebber

I have about 2 hours on this plane, and am pleased with its performance.  The CG that works best for me is 4.5 inches behind the leading edge of the top wing.  This puts it about at the leading edge of the bottom wing, a difficult place to test.  I suggest turning it upside down and balancing on the top surface of the top wing. For my setup, this required about 4 oz. on the front of the motor mount.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
tmoney42

I am planning on getting one of these and was wondering what motor prop and esc combo some of y'all might be using.