Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Finished my Tucano 40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Finished my Tucano 40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished my Tucano 40 ARF

I just finished my Pheonix Models Tucano 40 ARF. I was very impressed with most of this ARF. The wing, tail feathers and everything else fit perfectly except for the cowl. The cowl does not come close to fitting properly. The engine mounts would have to be moved up about 3/8" to get the engine shaft centered in the pre-cut hole in the cowl. I got it so it looks decent for now. I may wind up ordering a new cowl and moving the mounts or maybe go to a side mounted engine.

I replaced some the hardware (bolts and screws) just as a personal preference. I also ordered an aluminum spinner for it, again just a personal preference.

I don't have a lot of experience with ARF's (I love building) but, overall, I am happy with the plane so far. I put an OS46AX in it for power with a Futaba 6 channel FM radio system. I won't be able to get in the first flights on it till sometime next week. Hope it flys as well as some others have reported.

Bill Hodges
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88513.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1241220  
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM
hnflyer

Default RE: Finished my Tucano 40 ARF

Looks good, I also want to get a Tucano.

Great Job
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I got to put the first flights on it this morning. I am very happy with the results. It flys very nice. Tracks well and is very responsive with no nasty surprises. The OS 46AX runs great. I did have a problem with the nose gear that I will have to take care of. I discovered that the nose gear steering hardware supplied with plane binds up (and it has no excessive bends in it). I will replace the steering hardware with better quality material.

Other than the nose gear problem and the poor cowl fit mentioned in my OP, I am a happy camper.

BTW, I ordered a new cowl. I am going to come with some means to get a good cowl fit.

Bill Hodges
Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats Bill, I had its cousin the PC-9 from Seagull several years ago and they truly do fly great