Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ultra stick nylon bolts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ultra stick nylon bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Kyonic
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra stick nylon bolts

hello i am about to begin my ultra stick build! i am wondering what the bold thread pattern is on the landing gear blind nuts so i can order some NYLON bolts for it so they break instead of tearing up my plane. bolt pattern and size would be great and any other tps on building this great plane.
thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ultra stick nylon bolts

ORIGINAL: Kyonic

hello i am about to begin my ultra stick build! i am wondering what the bold thread pattern is on the landing gear blind nuts so i can order some NYLON bolts for it so they break instead of tearing up my plane. bolt pattern and size would be great and any other tps on building this great plane.
thanks

No offense intended, but it would be better learning how to land properly. Then you can use 6-32 metal bolts and not have to think twice about them.

I have never seen a single instance during a very active 40 years of flying R/C models where a modeler was happy with the results he obtained when switching from metal to nylon landing gear retaining bolts. Invariably, the landing gear begins separating from the model far more frequently and the damage to the model greatly increases as it passes over the landing gear, striking the empennage and damaging those components.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take your bolt to the local harware store. They should have a thread guage. After matching up the size, you can purchase your nylon bolts from them.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ultra Stick 40 needs to have a piece of plywood glued to the inside of the fuselage to reinforce the area where the landing gear bolts into the bottom of the plane. This is a common mod for the plane. There should be no problem using plastic bolts. But the issue with the gear is that there just isn't enough wood in the plane to bolt it into.

I am not sure that just using plastic bolts without reinforcing the plane will keep the gear from tearing out the bottom of the plane on a rough landing.

Todd

Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Regent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyonic,
I love the Ultra Stick and have owned a number of them. My primary use is to fly them in various fun fly events. As good as the U Stick is it still is an ARF and built by people that do not fly models and do not understand the stresses involved. I recommend that you beef up the area around the landing gear and the firewall. I have been flying for 40 years and can grease every landing in a normal situation. However, I am in the habit of attempting high speed touch and go landings that occasionally put high stress on the gear. This is particularly tough if you fly off grass and it hasn’t been cut recently or is not very smooth.

I don’t think that you will be happy just changing from metal to nylon bolts. It won’t take much to break off the small nylon bolts. Going to larger metal bolts will just cause gear to pull out the ply mounting plate in the fuselage. So what I do is to remove the original blind nuts and epoxy in a larger piece of ¼†ply that is at least 1†longer than the original piece. Then reinforce that with ½†triangle stock to the fuselage sides and firewall. Then I redrill the gear and mount 4 each 1/4X20 blind nuts and secure the gear with 1/4X20 brass screws. Now with this setup you can land as hard as you want and the gear will stay intact. I have survived hard landings that cause the gear to be bent out to the point that the fuselage is on the ground and I just bend the gear back in place and keep flying.

I know that some will say that this is overkill but if you anticipate making some hard landings this will save you a lot of repair work.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 AM
150flyer

ORIGINAL: NM2K

thanks

No offense intended, but it would be better learning how to land properly. Then you can use 6-32 metal bolts and not have to think twice about them.

I have never seen a single instance during a very active 40 years of flying R/C models where a modeler was happy with the results he obtained when switching from metal to nylon landing gear retaining bolts. Invariably, the landing gear begins separating from the model far more frequently and the damage to the model greatly increases as it passes over the landing gear, striking the empennage and damaging those components.

Ed Cregger
No offense, but he just wanted to know the thread pattern.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 AM
dignlivn

Typically they are 1/4x20 and you can also
find them at lowes or home depot.

As mentioned, you need to reinforce the fuse with
a piece of hardwood and epoxy.

Bob
Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

ORIGINAL: NM2K

thanks

Ed Cregger
No offense, but he just wanted to know the thread pattern.

Just what is a "thread pattern"? Exactly?

Ed Cregger
Old 08-08-2009, 02:32 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the years I have had a lot of these Ultra Stick planes.

I knock out the blind nuts for the gear attachment.

I add another piece of 1/4" thick maple plywood on top of the original Obechi wood

I drill and tap the holes for 1/4 -20 directly into the wood. I harden the wood with thin CA. Let dry a day and re-chase the threads.

I then use 1/4-20 Dubro black wing bolts to attach the gear.

The 1/4-20 nylon bolts seem to hold up well. On some planes I flew them out without ever having to replace a nylon bolt. But there have been times that the nylon bolts help save the bottom of the fuselage. The gear always snapped free and there was never any damage to the wing or tail either.

I have been well pleased
Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 PM
NM2K

And this explains why there are Republicans and Democrats, Yankees and Rebels, etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

yup ..its your own personal decision.I usually use 1/4-20 onmy ultra stick 60 and like most I can land very easily so nylon isn't a negative just a preference .I use the nylons on my electrics as well. and a few times I did land hard coming out of a elevator but thats why I like the nylon .