Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models or Airborne Models Tucano 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models or Airborne Models Tucano 60

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default World Models or Airborne Models Tucano 60

Shopping for another new plane, and this plane catches my eye. Has anyone bought, assembled, and flown it, and what has been your experience with it? THanks. Jon
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: World Models or Airborne Models Tucano 60

Well, I can say I have no experience with this particular World Models airplane, but if it's like their other products, it should be a very nice flying airplane. I have been flying their "Midget Mustang" since 2000. World models ARF's go together very well and are usually well engineered. I will probably be buying in the future.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
zain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got one delivered yesterday, Looks good so far.

Zain
Old 10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
mimoore67

Really struggling with my decision to by this plane!

I was all set to buy the the Nitroplanes/KMP/Fly Models Tucano ARF version, as it's just a little larger and has a two piece wing, but Nitroplanes is all sold out!

Having built other World Models kits, and know that there quality is excellent and their flying characteristics are second to none, I would like to see some more pictures of the ARF. So please post some picutres if you have this kit!

Michael
Old 10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar dilemma... World model Tucano 60 or BH t-28 Trojan.
I like the tricycle gear, I have plenty of taildraggers.
I Think I might go with the tucano...
after watching this video....I have to buy it...flys great and it's really fast and plenty acrobatic , especially with a OS .91.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50LxuB156Y&feature=fvw

Watch the video and tell me what you think...
Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 AM
mimoore67

As of right now, I am going with the World Models Tucano (White/Orange)!

Why? Because I have a World Models Midget Mustang, that I bought in 2000 and have been flying since and it looks great structurally and cosmetically after all these years. How many ARF's hold up like that for $250.00?

I will however buy the Nitroplanes version, when they get another batch off the boat. According to the "online chat" person at the Nitroplanes web site, they said a month and they would have some more Tucano's in stock. I don't believe that until I see it on there web-site. However, they did sell out pretty soon!

F.Y.I. - I ordered my World Models Tucano through www.hobbyzone.com out of Minnesota. Free shipping on orders over $100.00! I placed the order Friday morning! They shipping via UPS ground, which makes me cringe because, I've bad experience UPS breaking my models, through their rough handling.

When it comes down to it, the World Models is actually the better buy, do to the fact based on my other World Model purchases, is that they are well built, engineered and test flown. I've even used some of the hardware in these ARF's which I generally toss with all my other ARF's. The retracts I've read are pretty good for mechanicals and I have actually had a few over the years. With the Nitroplanes Tucano, your going to have to buy retracts, which with a two piece wings means that your' going to probably have to run air retracts or some of the Lado-Tech retracts which then make the purchase price for the plane retracts go from $180.00 plus $20.00 shipping, plus $100-150.00 for retracts to a $300-$350.00, or more if you go with Lado's, for a model that will need a lot of thought and building skill to re-enforce some weak areas. The directions and construction/assemble are usually very straight forward with any of the World Model planes.

I'll post some pictures of the kit, when the plane arrives. My plan is to just assemble the plane per the instructions and not "BASH" it like I do with all my other plans. I tend to make a "Mountain" of work for myself , by adding scale details to my ARF's, which is another plus for the World Models kit, because it actually has a fairly scale canopy, with no window frames painted on it,. If you reference an actually Tucano picture, to that of a the Nitroplane version, you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Doomking

Thanks for your comment...
I will look forward of seeing yuor pictures from the ARF when it gets to your house.
I also think I'll buy the World Model one, and probably put a 4 stroke in it.
There are a couple of swap meet coming up in my area and I am sure I can find all the parts I need for very cheap.
As for scale.....I have a giant scale P-51 from Top Flite which is fully decorated from glass fuselage and detail cockpit, down to panel lines and rivets. I'll probably revamp the cockpit for the Tucano since is the only item that I think needs attention.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
jbflier

I always thought World Models, Airborne, and Wingmakers were under the same umbrella somehow..............[8D]
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
mimoore67

ORIGINAL: jbflier

I always thought World Models, Airborne, and Wingmakers were under the same umbrella somehow..............[8D]

World Models is the parent company! Airborne is the U.S. Distributor! Wingsmaker is a another, what seems to be economy/discount line from World Models!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 AM
mimoore67

In case you missed it!

Here's a link to the Instructions in PDF form.
http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/i...n/pdf/A274.pdf
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Ramos02

I see from the World Models site that they have a video of it as the electirc conversion..

does anybody know the setup for it?? What power system to use.

im not a Gas or Nitro person since where i fly theres a bunch of houses and theres a noise rule. i bought the World Models Tucano and im not sure as to when its going to come in but all i can say is its an aircraft ive been looking for for a very long time for what it offers..

i do have a forum already started with my question ask in this url
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9185665/tm.htm

hope u guys can help me..

Jerry
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Doomking

Did you get your Tucano yet?
If you did, can yuo share some comments about the ARF ?
Thanks...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Ramos02

The Tucano 60 is a Beautiful aircraft.. I dont have much to say about it.. Probably wont start putting it togeather for awhile.. ive got alot of things to do for this winter b4 i can put it togeather.. i hope i can start get it built b4 may to maiden the flight at a jet rally in Tittusvill, PA.. Its a nice plane though...

jerry
Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Phat Reliant

I just received mine yesterday, orange and whte, I am thinking of putting in Lado Retracts, have any of you guys considered thses?

Looks like it's going to be an awsome flyer, I will probably put my Sato 100 in it, not in anything as of now.

Phat.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Doomking

What's wrong with the stock ones ? just curions...
Also the specs call for a 90 4 cycle....are you guys going bigger ? is it going to fit in the cowl ?
If you can maybe some pics ?
Thanks !!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM
mimoore67

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Also the specs call for a 90 4 cycle....are you guys going bigger ? is it going to fit in the cowl ?
Thanks !!
I'm actually thinking of putting a RCV 60SP in mine. I've talked to a couple of users that said that if this plane comes out around 7.5 pounds, it should fly it fine, although it won't be a powerhouse plane, but I want to fly it scale anyway!

My biggest thing is not the engine, but is doing some retract mods. I would love to use Lado, electrics retracts, but there seems to be issues with the available of this product. I want to use robostruts, because I hate wire gear and my field is very rough and find a nose gear retract that I can either buy or modify to achieve 100 degrees of retract, because a rough field like mine will try to collapse the nose gear. By having a forward angle, with a oleo strut will hopefully eliminate this problem, because of the forward rake of the gear, should transfer the force of resistance on the nose gear in upward direction, than trying fold the nose gear. I feel 90 degree retract on the nose gear is just trouble waiting to happen, which I experienced at our rough field.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Phat Reliant

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Thanks !!
I have used wire standards for most of the planes I have, just like the technology and really want this plane to stand out. The gear that came with it are more than okay and will probably go in to something else.

For the engine, after talking about it at the field, my trusty 110 FZ may be the one I eventually use.

Untill the build starts it's all up in the air

Pics to come for sure.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice plane....I'd go with the 120 instead of the 91. Muffler???? No way on the pumped version.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
schdave

Hi guys,
I really would like to buy this model!!
Could someone please tell me why it is specified that a 7 channel radio is required to fly this plane,
while other models with flaps and retracts only need a 6channel?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Qld Flyer

I'm curious about that as well. Looking through the manual I can't see any reason for the 7th channel.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Phat Reliant

That is curious re the 7 channel requirement, probably if you were to add lights or an onoard glow deal or something.. I start my building this weekend, can't wait, just keep staring at the box lol..
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
schdave

Can anyone post some photos of the box and plane?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM
mimoore67

I'll try to take some pictures of mine, as it's still in the box!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Nice plane....I'd go with the 120 instead of the 91. Muffler???? No way on the pumped version.

There is a video on YouTube of a WM Tucano 60 ARF flying with an OS .91 pumped four-stroke. The power looks to be about perfect for good high performance scale-like flying. I wish I had the URL, I'd post it. The YS 110 will be guilding the lily, but the throttle stick can take care of that. Nothing wrong with a little extra power, as long as the requisite prop clears the ground.

The majority of my retract experience has been with Rhom-Air pneumatic retracts. I ran tricycle configurations on Deception pattern models. Our field at the time (NJ) was a real sweet heart. You had to come in under the power lines and then, once over the road, dive for the beginning of the mowed area. Once gently settled on the beginning of the mowed area, you rolled down a four to five degree incline all the way across the field until you ran off into the weeds. Never once, out of many landings, did I have a Rhom-Air nose gear or wing gear fail to stay extended. Rhoms are tough and up to the job. No over extension needed.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Doomking

Hey Ed...
Do you have a web site for Rhom-Air gear ?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.