Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Slow and Steady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Sorry to hear of your crash, Microdon. I woiuld try removing the remaining bolt sections by drilling out the bolts with a small bit and jpushing a small phillips itto the drill hole to back the bolt out. I have found the remaining threads sometimes are loose, since they are no longer torqued, and will back out with a little effort. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Slow and Steady

BuckyMRI, I installed a scoop using the top off of a wallnut can. The aluminum is super thin but rigid. I am sure a bear can would work just as well. I use a 1 inch dowl to create a curve in the aluminum, not required with a beer can. It is simply a triangular piece, curved and sized to fit inside the left side of the cowl. I used it on my 91 FX, that I originally installed in the plane and it seamed to make a difference. It was one of several baffles I installed at the same time. I will try to attach a photo.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Slow and Steady

Attached are photos of the scoop and side cut out originally made for 91FX (no running 75 AX). Also concealed cowl mounting screws. Cowl mounted through fire wall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68926.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1466175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30775.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1466176  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Slow and Steady

While the left photo appears to show alot of room between the head and the cowl, it is actually pretty tight; approximately between an 1/16 and an 1/8 of an inch along the top edge of the head.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Pryor808 - I wasn't missing a washer - I'm pretty sure the cause was simply that I had only three bolts holding the pressure plate down onto the prop, instead of 6 (which I realize now). Looks like the torque of the engine vs the resistance of the prop was too much stress for those three bolts to handle.

S&S - thanks for the tip on how to remove those bolts. Actually I thought of another approach this morning. I took the dremel and used a hard, thin grinding wheel to grind in a thin depression in the exposed end of each bolt. Then used a small flathead screwdriver and backed them out. Worked great! At least, it worked on the three bolts in the shaft seat - so far the one in the drive shaft itself is still stuck. So I'm taking your approach on that one (though might need a sharper drill bit - this bolt is tough).

btw - went back to the field this morning to search for the one missing piece - the prop pressure plate (as it's not even listed in "spare parts" at Hobby City). After 1.5 hours of searching I found it, along with three bolts.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Slow and Steady

Congrats on the field find and the success with bolt extraction. We share alot of good ideas on this blog!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Slow and Steady

Your broken bolt technique reminds me of a mechanical accident I had years ago in high school. I was putting together a bored out 327 to be place in a Bucket Tee Roadster. While installing the water pump, one of the 1/4 " bolts broke off. An old mechanic friend, who I consider with the highest regard, spent several hours with a nail set and hammer and was able to extract the bolt. Wonders never cease, and true friends are remembered long after their gone.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
buckymri
My Feedback: (45)

Hey Slow Steady, Thanks for the pic of the air scoop. I will install one on my revolver as well. I assume you attached the scoop to the inside of the cowl with regular old epoxy right?. Does it stay fixed in place well? Thanks again for the pic. Looks cool
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
buckymri
My Feedback: (45)

My revolver. OS 91FX. Love this bird.

Name:	Fd92242.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1466233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39831.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1466234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18049.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1466235  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Slow and Steady

I have placed a scoop on two planes with 6 minute epoxy. One had full edge adhesion, on had three dabs. Both held fine.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Slow and Steady

Bucckymri, nice photos. Good luck with the cooling!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
microdon2

Buckymri = your Revolver looks great. Very clean (wish MINE looked that good still...) Gpod luck with it.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
jetmanr18

Bill:

Many thanks for the Cliff Notes on the Revolver; I've added them to the respective pages in the assembly manual. It sounds from reading some of these posts that many builders are overpowering their airplanes. (I might be too, but I'd at least like the gear to stay on when I land...). As a precaution though, I'll use most all of the mods you mentioned - particularly those which will supress flutter.

Brian Gray
Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
microdon2

Jetman - Agreed that it may seem that many of us are "overpowering" our Revolvers, but that's not saying much, considering the recommended engine sizes. Also it's usually after we've already tried other engines and wanted more power. I think we're pushing these Revolvers to be the best planes they can, and I think these airframes can handle it. I haven't read of anyone installing an engine that seems rediculous (though airraptor likes to push it!)

btw - from what I've seen and heard, the weak landing gear in both sizes of Revolver has nothing to do with using more power \ heavier engines. The gear is inherently weak (main and rear). But if you don't believe me, read a recent post 1246 from wjcalhoun. I'm not saying your gear will definitely collapse on a hard \ rough \ grassy landing, but there's plenty of evidence in this thread that says it eventually will. It's the first thing I modify in mine.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys;

There have been some talk on engine cooling. Here is a must tool everyone need in their fieldbox. ( see picture below ).
I use this tool all the time when I go and fly my 90 size heli!! The best reading you will have is right after you stop the engine. Just point, press and read the head temp. Now you can see how hot you engine temp. Another thing I am looking to add to my large revolver is the Carbsmart System. ( see link below ). They work great on all my 90 size heli.
Just some more info here.

http://www.rcmodels.org/csm/carbsmart.htm
Sonny
aka
jet22b

BTW: If you would like to see pictures on the Carbsmart setup, please let me know and I will post!!
Have a great guys!!!

Name:	Ki20238.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1466326  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Guys

Got my R70 repaired today. I think I may have a reason for the incredible frequency of main gear tearouts on other than a perfect touchdowns and rollouts. Yes, part of it may be pilot error, but it also seems as though there is an ARF construction issue.

I inspected my gear plate, which popped out of the fuse essentially undamaged. As you know, it is 3/16 aircraft ply, and in and of itself, seems plenty strong, at least for my purposes, and it ties into a doubled firewall, a doubled former, and some good structure laterally. Mike has considerably strengthened his main LG plate with extra balsa and epoxy, which may be necessary for his field. For my application, I judged the LG plate per se and its attachments to be OK. The bolts, blind nuts, and everything else about my LG plate were fine - it is just that the GLUE JOINTS FAILED.

Inspecting further, I could see that the ARF was built WITH NO EPOXY AROUND THE LG PLATE. Mine apparently was assembled dry, and doused with CA. There are a few crystals of CA remaining (see Pic 1) along the fore and aft transverse blocks, but really nothing along the lateral margins. The entire main LG plate was held in place by a few crystals of CA adhesive. Look closely at the horizontal surfaces of the transverse gluing surfaces. The shiny areas are the CA - not much there.

I reinstalled the LG plate with 30 min epoxy, cleaned up the sheeting that was minimally damanged (Pic 2), recovered the bottom of the fuse, and reinstalled the gear.

NOTE TO GREAT PLANES - this is a great airframe, but you guys know better than to use a whiff of CA on a main LG plate. I'll bet every one of us would pay $5 more for the ARF to have the main gear plate properly installed with epoxy. Builders know - there are some things for which CA is great, and other things for which the only proper adhesive is epoxy. In my view, LG mounting plates demand epoxy.

Anyway, my advice for beefing up the main LG plate would be to remove the cover, pry out the LG plate, and reinstall with epoxy. I'll bet that alone would fix 80-90% of the problems.

Good flying.
Bill

Name:	Xv64019.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1466349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80757.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1466350  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM
wjcalhoun

S&S
Beautiful job on the cowl mounting, and the cutouts for your engine. My cowl is pretty badly hacked to clear the 1.20AX and Bisson Pitts.
Did you mount a cowl ring, or exacly how did you blind mount the cowl from the inside?

BIll
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM
microdon2

Bill - Excellent post about the LG issue. Nice analysis - sounds and looks like you're right. I can't understand how a manufacturer builds such a nice plane (or a distributor like Great Planes allows it) and then skimps on the strength areas - makes no sense, and the end results? A tarnished image and disgruntled customers (wonder how many other Revolver owners not on this thread are strengthening the LG or living with the weakness). btw - I think another inherent weakness is that the main gear comes in two parts. Would be much stronger as one piece - it would reinforce itself (as the Dubro gear that I now use is one piece and much stronger).
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
wjcalhoun

Brian
See my post 1266 on the LG issue
Good flying

BIll
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Slow and Steady

Bill, It was a while back, but I remember the same issue with the gear and reiistalled as you with 30 minute epoxy. Has held since.

As far as the hidden cowl mount, I took 1/4 ply and loosely placed it in front of the fire wall, sitting on top of the engine box. Pencilled in the outline of the fire wall top on the quarter ply and cut it to size. I then drilled two holes through the fire wall and the cut out piece of 1/4 ply; then attached blind nuts to the 1/4 ply with cap screws, which enter from the back of the fire wall. The top edge of the 1/4 ply is beveled so that it will not conflict with the downward curve of the cowl. After the 1/4 ply is bolted to the fire wall I put the cowl in place and glue the 1/4 ply to the cowl with 30 minute epoxy. Note: Place some plastic rap between the firewall and the 1/4 ply to keep the epoxy from making contact with the firewall and fuselage (works great). Instead of relying on a full ring, the bottom screws, which are not visible on the ground are surface mounted to fire wall blocks. This method of attachment is really clean and is readily removed with the canopy off. I use the rubber and steel washers, discussed earlier, on all four locations and it holds great with no chance of vibrating free. I will post some pictures later when I remove the cowl for some maintenance. I am glad you like the way it looks; the Revolver is to nice; don't no why Great Planes didn't hide them in the first place.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Slow and Steady

Bill, I have a 120 AX with a Bisson pitts that used to be on my Funtana 125. It had to be a challenge to install it on this tight cowl. I'm sure it flies with alot of authority.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 PM
wjcalhoun

It was a tight fit; I hate to cut a cowl that badly because of what it does to the aerodyamics on the underside. Just no other way to get it on without splitting the cowl longitudinally along the underside, which could have been a better option in retrospect. I don't have a pic of the underside of the cowl, but its not pretty.

Name:	nl31073.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	1466467  
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Slow and Steady

Bill, Looks pretty good from here. I don't worry much about the bottom. Mine is completely open behind the muffler. These are photos of the back of the cowl and bolt location through the fire wall. You can also see the scoop in the left front openning and the baffle behind the spinner, and below the right openning.

Name:	Mk26311.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1466782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53810.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1466783  
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Slow and Steady

This is a picture of the curved baffle behing the head, which directs air downward.

Name:	Us54071.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1466799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55301.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1466800  
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
albsurfer

Slow and Steady - pretty nice setup inside the cowl for cooling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.