Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 DeNight Special

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 DeNight Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 DeNight Special

It's strange one. Generally when I've crashed in the past, the defective part is holding the transmitter. I wish that was definitely the case this time; I hate not knowing what happened for sure.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Well, it sure didn't seem like an abnormal turn at all. It just looked and felt like a stall but the airspeed should have been high enough. I looked at every possibility I can think of. I even thought that maybe something came loose and changed the CG of the airplane but the battery, servos, receiver, fuel tank, etc. were all securely in place still. I even considered the possibility that I dumb thumbed it but I had no pitch or roll control at all as it happened. I'm kind of curious if maybe something happened in the right wing. It is obviously damaged now from impact but I wonder is some sort of structural failure there caused the issue? I really wish I'd had some more altitude; even if I hadn't been able to save it, I might have been better able to see if something was damaged or broken on the way down.

I'm headed out to the garage right now to disassemble everything and look closer for some clues.

I hadn't crashed an airplane in a couple years so I guess maybe I had it coming.

Sad ....

Sorry for this...

I had my PC-9 crash recently and i rebuild it,
but i reported the failure on the UK store i bought my PC-9 and then they contacted the importer on the UK...

All i can say is that i am waiting for a new fuselage/rudder/cowl/elevator!

SO,

contact Tower immediately.

I believe there shouldn't be any gap there!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 AM
georgee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I lost mine today. It was flying great so I decided to do some touch and goes. On the last one, I took off at full throttle, flew out a little to gain speed and turned back to the right. Immediately at the end of the turn it pitched nose down and rolled to the right. I was too low to recover and it went in. The radio range checks fine at various orientations, all the servos seem to be in perfect condition, the battery voltage is good under a load and nothing seems damaged on the airplane except from the crash. It looked just like a stall but I had plenty of air speed so that would be unusual if it did.

I could probably repair the airplane but after this combined with all the other quality issues, I am just fed up with it.

I was a little frustrated after the crash but I flew my GP Revolver and I got happy again.
Hey,

It is very sad to hear your loss.Two plane is crashed out of 2 here [:@] Well, I was also frustrated because of the crash since this plane seemed to me a georgeus easy to fly plane at least to compare with my larger more complicated planes......As I wrote in my crash report I felt this little b...... uncontrollable at the landings although the CG and everything was by the manual and I"m not a beginner pilot at all. got big gasser and other planes up to 5m ws but that was my 1st crash during a maiden flight in 5 years.
SO,I had to replace my plane on my own expenses.It costed me 253$ and cca.80$ tax=333$ Its already at the customs in my country.I"ll build it again and give a 2nd try.If the story will be the same, I mean if I see any bad habit as for the DS,the H9 won"t be happy with the report Im gonna write on the well known forums.
CRG as you"re a test pilot for H9,pls tell the H9 guys that it would be a nice touch from the H9 when reading these reports,they"d give us a replacement plane or parts because obviously the problem wasn"t with our piloting skills." 2crashes out of 2 planes is a little bit bizarre.We were some kind of Beta testers and it seems like the plane is suffering from obvious quality and/or designing imperfections.
Thanx

Georgee

Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
ChuckW

Well, I don't know if the manufacturer is necessarily obligated here since I don't have anything that I can say definitively caused the crash. All I have is what I experienced, some things I observed in the wreckage and some speculation. While I am somewhat confident in all of it, it isn't necessarily proof. There is just too much unknown. If there were large numbers of these crashing that might be a different story. If that were the case, I'm sure we'd be seeing many people on here complaining.

I think it boils down to a combination of factors, just like any accident. In my case I have been thinking about the events of the day yesterday. On the flight previous to the crash, I had been flying around the pylons like you would in an air race. I was whipping it around hard in the turns and the plane was really hauling the mail especially after higher turns, diving to the next pylon. Maybe that hard flying compromised a wing structure or wing mounting which completely failed on the next flight. I didn't even think about that possibility yesterday since I was so focused on the crash. Again, I don't know if that's the case or not but I'll never really know now.

All there is to do at this point is move one, there are plenty of airplanes.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:56 AM
georgee

If there were large numbers of these crashing that might be a different story. If that were the case, I'm sure we'd be seeing many people on here complaining
All there is to do at this point is move one, there are plenty of airplanes.
I can"t take it so easy Chuck,thats why I ordered one more
You can"t see many people complaining,because only 3 planes were tested that you could read about.The 1st by a H9 test pilot the other 2s crashed in no time.
Mine was the 1st in Europe according to the Major Europian forums,its not even avilable here,imported them from the US.A lot of guy asked me to tell us something about the plane,but Im still waiting to give a verdict......
If you see the preview on youtube you can see that the plane on the video was trimmed to left a lot....exactly the same as you mentioned it in your case.The ailerons and the left wing half is warped on my crashed plane as well....yes,I realised it before the crash but I thought it won"t cause so horroritic behaviour only I will need some trimming [:@]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkR_p5V4Bek
I cut this pic from this video.
So,one thing is pretty sure,there are some kind of quality issues with this plane.These plane will be available in Europe for 265Euro thats cca 360$ .Would you guys accept warped wings,ailerons and other here mentioned imperfections at this small airplane for this price in the US? Will see how the next one will perform.....
Mine 2nd DS s will be in the air in 3 weeks.Until than,lets see how it will perform by other pilots........

Georgee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51507.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1392731  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
ChuckW

That trim is interesting. It appears roughly the same amount as what I had to add, just in the opposite direction. Of course, the pilot in the video could just be inadvertently applying aileron while holding up elevator for taxiing too. Too many unknowns I think to condemn the airplane at this point. If more people have similar issues, that would be a different story.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
ChuckW

I'm still sitting here thinking about the crash, how it appeared, how it responded to inputs, etc. One other thought that comes to mind is a tail stall. That would explain the nose pitching down severely and the lack of response to elevator input. I wonder if maybe the angle of attack, rate of turn and other factors could have all contributed to a tail stall? Again, I have no way of knowing that, nor am I sure that I am even qualified to make that judgement. Everything I have thought could make sense at this point or none of it could even be close. It is just me thinking too much when I probably need to be out flying one of my other airplanes.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

Ok...

1. Two out of two where?

2. I am NOT a test pilot for Hangar 9, if I ever claimed to be I apologize. By the time I got my model the R&D process was complete, and only some minor production changes are made differently from the version I have (aileron hatch shape, helmet mount etc.)

3. There no way for me to know if the problems experienced are from piloting skills or not, but I disagree STRONGLY that Hangar 9 would ever place the customer in the position of being a Beta tester. My DeNight does not 'seem' to be suffering from any quality or design imperfections. In fact it continues to give me the impression of being a sheep in wolf's clothing, it handles more gently than it's appearance might indicate.

4. My airplane carries no aileron trim but I did eyeball the wings before test flying and make sure they were matched, and not washed in. A few minutes with a heat gun at most.

CRG.

ORIGINAL: georgee

Hey,

It is very sad to hear your loss.Two plane is crashed out of 2 here [:@] Well, I was also frustrated because of the crash since this plane seemed to me a georgeus easy to fly plane at least to compare with my larger more complicated planes......As I wrote in my crash report I felt this little b...... uncontrollable at the landings although the CG and everything was by the manual and I''m not a beginner pilot at all. got big gasser and other planes up to 5m ws but that was my 1st crash during a maiden flight in 5 years.
SO,I had to replace my plane on my own expenses.It costed me 253$ and cca.80$ tax=333$ Its already at the customs in my country.I''ll build it again and give a 2nd try.If the story will be the same, I mean if I see any bad habit as for the DS,the H9 won''t be happy with the report Im gonna write on the well known forums.
CRG as you''re a test pilot for H9,pls tell the H9 guys that it would be a nice touch from the H9 when reading these reports,they''d give us a replacement plane or parts because obviously the problem wasn''t with our piloting skills.'' 2crashes out of 2 planes is a little bit bizarre.We were some kind of Beta testers and it seems like the plane is suffering from obvious quality and/or designing imperfections.
Thanx

Georgee

Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
ChuckW

Im sure that if there was to be a serious flaw in the airplane, the manufacturer would deal with it appropriately. I do believe there are some quality issues with the construction and I am disappointed in that but that stuff is done on the other side of the planet. I am sure Horizon will be on top of it as they get feedback. As for a design flaw, two downed airplanes don't indicate that. Not saying there couldn't be an issue but it would take a heck of a lot more than two crashes to know. Even then, every aircraft has good points and bad points. There are certain things you have to be aware of with all of them.

Will I buy another Denight Special? I'm not sure. I do like the subject that was modeled and it does look outstanding. Heck, I wouldn't mind even having one hanging as a static model in the garage. Maybe as I get some other projects finished the Denight bug might bite me again and who knows. I'm a pretty picky guy so I imagine I'd modify a few things but that's part of the hobby.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 AM
georgee

Thanxs guys for your replies.Well,maybe I get my DS this week and continue the Beta testing with this birdie
Doing it because,it was pretty good to fly with an fast with my E-setup.[8D]
Fortunately I can afford to buy even more replacements if its also hit the ground in an unwanted way
One thing is pretty clear for me.This gem won"t be a plane for intermediates.......maybe for advanced modellers with a lot of cash
I"m waiting for the flight reports, until than I fly my relaxing gassers

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
CRG

I think your vision is a little clouded, this is definitely an intermediate level airplane. If you can competently fly something like a Pulse or Super Sportster the DeNight will pose no problems.

Might try and shoot some video this weekend.

ORIGINAL: georgee

Fortunately I can afford to buy even more replacements if its also hit the ground in an unwanted way
One thing is pretty clear for me.This gem won''t be a plane for intermediates.......maybe for advanced modellers with a lot of cash
I''m waiting for the flight reports, until than I fly my relaxing gassers

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
ChuckW

I agree, it is definitely what I would consider a "sport" airplane. I noticed nothing unusual or difficult about the way it flew until I had my incident. Unfortunately I do not know if the crash was caused by a structural failure, tail stall or some other issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
georgee

You maybe right as for my vision is concerned Time to go to an oculist...........
In fact the type of the mentioned planes you mentioned I left behind a few yars ago but obviously it was too early
Pls don"t think I"m offensive,just very disappointed because of the crash.Maybe I"ll be more lucky with the 2nd or 3rd DS
I"m waiting for your video.Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 PM
CRG

I completely understand about losing a model, it always hurts.

I'm trying to avoid being overly defensive of the DeNight, but I have several flights on mine and feel I speak from experience regarding its flight characteristics. I'm taking it out this Saturday and will fly it a bunch more.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM
flynte

Mine should show up tomorrow, cant wait to see her in person. Got 8 flights on the skied up Escapade Sat and it was a good thing because the snows all but gone as of yesterday. Just need to pull the skis off tonight and I'll have a clear bench awaiting the arrival of the DS. Nothing like a new plane to shake off the winter ho hums.

flynte
Old 03-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: flynte

Mine should show up tomorrow, cant wait to see her in person. Got 8 flights on the skied up Escapade Sat and it was a good thing because the snows all but gone as of yesterday. Just need to pull the skis off tonight and I'll have a clear bench awaiting the arrival of the DS. Nothing like a new plane to shake off the winter ho hums.

flynte

OH

keep the pics coming [8D]
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
CRG

Some in-flight pics from the weekend here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=12
Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 AM
georgee

ORIGINAL: CRG

I think your vision is a little clouded, this is definitely an intermediate level airplane. If you can competently fly something like a Pulse or Super Sportster the DeNight will pose no problems.

Might try and shoot some video this weekend.

Hi CRG,

Did you shoot some video?I hardly can wait for it.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM
CRG

Video here: http://vimeo.com/10223126
Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
georgee

Craig,

Thank you very much indeed.This one is a really convincing video.You gave back my faith. :-))
My DS II should be here by the weekend,so it"s time for round 2 .

Cheers
Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
georgee

Hi Guys,

Finally,I received today my DS II I still love this little birdie[8D]

Name:	Pn35861.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	1401156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83877.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	1401157  
Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Kostas1

georgee,

oh my God.....can i call you lucky ?

Kepp us posted of the build...
Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
georgee

Hey Kostas,

Thanx for your words.I received it yesterday and could"nt help myself to put it together,
So,by the end of the day it was ready to fly in 10 hours.Gorgeus little b......
Now `you can also get it in Europe as well,but its cheaper to buy it in the states even if you have to pay tax in your country [8D]

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=82356

Name:	Jh16501.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1401661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52773.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1401662  
Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Kostas1

Haha 10h!!!!

Very nice plane!

Good luck on the maiden and let us all know!!!

Kostas
Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
georgee

Hey,
Yeah, I still have to solder 2 aileron extensions,a UBEC ,and put the Rx in place.Well,I"m sure, everybody can assemble it in 10hours for the 2nd time
The plane comes prehinged on all control surfaces,all control horns in place.Its much shorter time to put in the e motor with the included standoffs than the glow power setup.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.