Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60 flimsy?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60 flimsy?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 AM
RappyPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60 flimsy?

Hi all

Just had a bit of a uneasy moment at my LHS.

Been looking for a no fuss, low maintenance, fun plane for my Saito FA100 and decided on the Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60.

But after paying for it, the LHS guy told me to take it easy with this plane because is it fairly fragile !?!?

Is that so?

I really don't want to fly around with a "What if I break it" feeling constantly in the back of my mind. I have the GP Stick 40 with an Irvine 46 and the GP Stick 60 with an OS91FX and both of them can take just about any abuse I throw at it. Obviously it's common sense not to do a full throttle dive and pull out with full elevator at the last moment kind of things.

Is this plane any more fragile than any other plane in the same category?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 AM
da Rock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60 flimsy?

You might consider asking that expert what he means. And wonder why he didn't mention that before you purchased it.

I had two of the 46size Ultra Sticks and now way would I call them fragile. It would seem that H9, who is ultimately responsible for the execution of the design, knows what'd work in the larger one as well as they knew what works in the smaller.

Our hobby suffers from "insider info" like you've just gotten. It suffers because sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. Ask the guy what exactly is fragile about that model and see if you can find out how he knows.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
chuck993

I had an H9 Ultra Stick 60 for 2 years + and flew it with both a Saito 100 and OS 91FX, this plane is a blast and is not fragile. One thing I noticed was that the body is thin and when I first started flying it that worried me, but I flew this thing 12 months a year, windy, gusty conditions, crosswinds, you name it, the plane flew in it. The plane is also easy to fix, for those days when you might rip out gear...

I mainly flew my Ultra Stick 60 when it was a really strong crosswind and most people were not flying because of the winds. I would fire up the US 60, take off and have a blast. I also put flaps on mine, one of the first things you have to decide when building it btw...whether to use flaps or not. The flaps were cool because you can do low slow passes, play with really slow landings or small landing areas and do what I called Kite hovering, put the plane into the wind and try to hold it there (same altitude and position.)

My Ultra Stick 60 committed suicide one windy day when my battery shorted out, it flew over head and dove straight into the middle of the runway...it buried my 91fx about 1 foot into the grass...[]
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 AM
chuck993

Here is an example of a typical windy day having fun with my Ultra Stick 60, strong winds, quartering crosswinds and some strong gusts at times.

If the plane was that fragile, it wouldn't be able to do this for years and years...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/TidewaterRC#p/u/27/ngJoXUgD1mo]Ultra Stick 60 windy day[/link]
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
chuck993

I think the Ultra Stick 60 is actually under-rated by most people.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
RappyPilot

Hi all

Well, after having a good look at the contects of the kit, nothing jumps out at me that it seems flimsy or needs reinforcing everywhere.

A flying buddy pitched up at the field with one with a Saito FA125 up front and he has been flying it for over two years and after barraging him with questions, the only thing that has ever gone wrong on his Stick was the servo tray that came loose once .... Not a biggie. And the odd landing gear left behind on the runway due to a not so perfect landing, which he consequently repaird by re-inforcing the area around the landing gear with fibre glass ...

This is probably my 4th or 5th Hangar-9 kit and as usual, top quality everywhere.

So, not sure what Mr Hobby Shop Salesman was on about, but, I am at ease that it won't fall apart doing a loop ....
Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
obsessedwithrc
My Feedback: (4)

Hi all, I bought A used Lanier Fun Fly. Which I think  is basically the same as the sticks, It is a very tough model and it flies great on windy days. But I think that it may be on its last life. it was the fourth and final flight on it for the day when I was taking off, and I throttled up to quick and the engine torque and gravity took over from that point on. it was a sad day for me and the plane. it was that awful feeling when  the plane started  kartwheeling  down the runway and my pride went down with it. After standing there for a minute to afraid to go measure the damage I finally scraped what was left of my ego and the plane off of the runway. But the damage wasn't all that bad after all, I just needed to do a little fixing to the tail and nose of the plane but I don't know how much longer it will last, so I am looking to add a new addition to my fleet. And the Hangar -9
Ultra stick-60 seems like a good candidate. so to sum it all up I  just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions or whether I Should go with the Ultra Stick.

Yours truly....Lanier Murderer LOL
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM
speedy72vega

I recently picked up an Ultra Stick 60 from our club auction. I converted mine to electric power, with over 1100 watts. It spins a 12X8E prop on 6S, and has lots of power.
I really push it hard, almost every time I fly it, and not one thing has broken on it. Landings are a breeze too, even without flaps.

Not too fragile if you ask me, I think you're going to love it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 PM
RCShadow

Just curious...did the HS owner actually have a chance to fly said aircraft?

Inquiring minds want to know...I'd have replied to his remark with "oh! so you have flown one that came apart?". I bet he couldn't justify his response and it was heresay.

I could be wrong though
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

RappyPilot

I have owned 2 of the H9 - US60's I crashed the first one (totaly my fault) and bought second one immediately. I am flying with a OS-61FX and it is my favorite plane. I found it to be very sturdy. I made a couple mods 1) I use nylon landing gear mounting bolts. I occasionaly make a poor landing and have knocked the gear off. With a high wing and no pants I have never damaged the plane by knocking off the landing the gear. 2) I found that the Stick is very nose heavy (do a search and I think you will find others agree) with just my 61FX. On my second US60 I moved the Elevator & Rudder servos to the rear of the fuselage (re-enforced with lite ply)and positioned the 5 cell battery behind the wing mounting holes. THis configuration prevented the need to add additional weight to balance. I love this plane it is quick to set up, no cowl makes fueling and adjustments very easy, fun to fly and is as sturdy or more than any ARF I have owned. I think you will love it.

Mark
Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 AM
AA5BY

Was the .60 size stick lightened as the 1.20 was? If so, perhaps that offers a possible explanation of where the hobby shop guy is coming from. That his take is the lightening compromised strength. I personally don't think so at least on the 1.20 version. The previous was heavy and not a great flier and 2.5 lbs lighter made a huge performance difference.

btw, hanging big engines that require adding tail weight IMHO does compromise the flight performance of the sticks. Keep em light but definitely do the quad wing setup as it offers a whole new range of flight character.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Be sure to carefully check and re-glue the firewall as needed before you start mounting equipment in the fuesalge. I bought mine just last fall, and did the usual things to prep an arf...but the firewall seemed fine.

First flight, 2 minutes, in I noticed a disctinct change in sound & landed immediately. 3/4 of the firewall had broken free & I was seconds from losing the model. Engine was a broken in OS 75AX which runs quite smoothly and isn't overkill for the airplane. Once I got it home and removed the engine and mount, I was able to pull the firewall out completely. It had only been glued in two spots on each side, where the triangle reinforcement is on the fuse. Easy fix to expoxy in place but could have been a bad deal.

Also had the landing gear pop off clean (with mounting block attached) on a landing that should not have caused that, again found that the gear block was only 'tack' glued on each side.

It's a good flying all-around model but I think QC is lacking during assembly.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
ghoffman

I have one with an OS 120AX on it and it flies great. I bought it used, and the gent that built it did a really good job, with some L/G mods, servos and battery in the rear of the fuse so that it balances without additional mass, carbon fiber pushrods, sealed control surfaces, etc. On President's day, I flew it in very windy cross wind conditions, with skis, in front of my wife who said I was a wimp if I did not fly. So, 2 flights later, all is well, great airplane. Many will say the 120AX is overkill, and they are probably right, but it saved my butt a couple of times by gaining altitude very rapidly when necessary.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
rodestar99

I love mine and fly it more than any of my other planes.
One thing I would suggest is to buy an aftermarket tank as mine split.
The second thing is reinforce the landing gear mnt as it breaks rather easily.
The plane itself is very tough.

Ps . I have a 91 fs magnum on mine and it flys awesome. I moved the servos back in the fuselage
just in front of the stab and it balances well with no weight.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM
ghoffman

Wow, this is an old thread! I have a DLE-20 gasser on mine now and have about 45 flights on it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

I sold mine and swore to never touch another Hangar 9 product again, no matter what it is.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RappyPilot

Hi all

Just had a bit of a uneasy moment at my LHS.

Been looking for a no fuss, low maintenance, fun plane for my Saito FA100 and decided on the Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 60.

But after paying for it, the LHS guy told me to take it easy with this plane because is it fairly fragile !?!?
He said AGILE!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

All aircraft are fragile - fly them into the ground and see.

Light aircraft fly better and typically survive incidents with mother earth better as well.

All ARF manufacturers have QC problems from time to time with badly glued airframes. H9, IMHO, has better QC than most when it comes to ARF's. If you don't like the way ARF's are put together then build your own or simply add more glue to the ARF of your choice. It is simple and quick to do.

I have worn out 2 H9 Ultra Sticks and still have one that has been abused for the last 4 years. A more forgiving aircraft, especially in windy conditions, has yet to be found.

I like the Ultra Stick so much that I had to build it's big brother, the Uber Stick. See it here: http://bliksemseplek.com/uberstick.html

Bliksem

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 AM
AA5BY

I roosted my USL in the top of a large oak tree...shearing the wing completely on one side and severe damage on the other. The plane was such a favorite to fly that it got a heroic rebuild and is still flying... and when it was released again for a very short time, another was laid back.

I've also got a Hanger 9 PT-19. It had serious issues with the gear mounts in the wing. One side didn't even have the lite ply false ribs... seriously, the hardwood blocks on one side were simply and scantily glued to the balsa ribs. Of course... the first landing took it out. After providing needed gear supports... the plane has been a fantastic flyer.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
kerwin50

Yeah most arf need some going over and re glueing here and there