Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee CG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee CG

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee CG

Ive just bought the H9 Piper Pawnee and have used a Satio 72 for the engine. My first question is ,how have you guys been balancing this airplane? Ive balance a few planes since Ive been flying but Idont think Ive ever tackled one thats quit this difficult or either I'm just getting older and more cumbersome and impatient.Ihave anticipated marking the CG (2.5 inches)back from the leading edge on the fuse. sliding the wings out just enough to get a small but strong string around the fuse. at theCG and suspending it ever so slightly until the plane clears the table. Iknow Ican buy the Southwest EZ balancerbut those things are ridiculous in price. Ihave one of the older balancers withthe 2 small rulers on each side that pivot on thetop of the 2 little alum.post but thats not getting it especially working alone. Also with the Satio 72 for an engine and everything else in their normal places where can Iexpect to have to place the battery (in a hatch in the back)? Just wondering with the Satio 72. Seems like all the research Ive done on the plane and CG is either 2 stroke or elec.
Thanks
Don
N.C.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
turboratt

Default RE: Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee CG

theres a long thread here on this plane two and four stroke shoot i just turned the upside down and checked c/g mine is nose heavy due to the 160 twin in mine
Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
dspadler
My Feedback: (22)

Ichecked the CG on the Pawnee today and used a method that seemed to work but was just wondering if you guys thought that it would be accurate. Iattached a small pulley to the rafters in my shop, ran a small rope thru the pulley. Then Imarked the recommended CG on the sides of the fuse. and on the bottom of the plane (6 3/4" from the cuff) then Iran a small cord around the fuse (on the CG) and opened the wings up from the fuse. just enough to get the small cord thru then slid the wings back tight to the fuse. Ithen gently pulled the rope and lifted the plane from the stand until it cleared fore and aft and then proceeded to find the balance point. I'm running the Satio 72 as Ive mentioned and found that Ineeded the 4 cell 1500 mah battery as far back in the tail as Icould get it. At this point with this method Ifound with the battery in the tail it came out almost balanced but just a tad nose heavy ever so slightly. So will this work. I'm just a poor old chicken and hog farmer so when it comes to engineering Ill leave that up to you guys but I figured , pivoting on CG, suspended upside down as you guys recommend that it would have to be about as accurate as you could get. Almost if like it was flying because there is nothing holding the plane but a thin cord at the CG point. So let me know. I'm definitely not flying it until Ihear back from you guys. Ive included pics of my crude farmers CG checker.
Thanks
Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44731.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1313429  
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I would be happy with doing it that way. I think your assumption that it is like the plane is flying is correct. I have a friend who uses a similar approach. He screws a small screw eye into the fuselage at the CG and suspends the plane with a string. It is very accurate.