Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Dazzler / Tower Uproar

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Dazzler / Tower Uproar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Planes Dazzler / Tower Uproar

What's the quality like on these two ARFs? How do they fly? I'd expect fast rolls and such.

I'm looking for a fun knock around plane to put an OS 46AX with a pipe on. Not building it for speed but want good vertical and would like for it to fly a decent knife edge as well. Would I be disappointed with either of these planes?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM
jlguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Dazzler / Tower Uproar

I bought both of these planes nearly simultaneously. The GP Dazzler (powered w/ a Saito 56) died a prolonged agonizing death with no major crashes and w/ multiple patches and structural repairs until I just got sick of it and threw it away. On the other hand, the Uproar roars on powered w/ a TTPro 36 and nary a single structural repair after probably 200 flights. The coating, however, is a patchwork quilt of patches. I have great fun w/ the TTPro 36 and think you'd likely not need the pipe if you put a 46 on it. The plane is agile, quick, and fun to fly. Landings are slow and gentle. I reckon though that to get a really good knife edge you'd need to increase the rudder size significantly. My throws are maxed out and it will only knife edge at speed and even then won't sustain it forever. I think the Uproar is, hands down, the better plane.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built an Uproar a couple years ago with a TT .46Pro, Macs header and my own MCP. It turned an APC 12x4 @ 14,400 and would flutter the ailerons badly until I changed the linkage around and used carbon pushrods and HD servo horns. It was almost too much power! The .46 would be all you needed without the pipe unless you allready have it and just want to experiment. I built my rudder oversize a bit and it would still not knife edge good-not enough fuse side area there to support the rudder.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

I built an Uproar a couple years ago with a TT .46Pro, Macs header and my own MCP. It turned an APC 12x4 @ 14,400 and would flutter the ailerons badly until I changed the linkage around and used carbon pushrods and HD servo horns. It was almost too much power! The .46 would be all you needed without the pipe unless you allready have it and just want to experiment. I built my rudder oversize a bit and it would still not knife edge good-not enough fuse side area there to support the rudder.
I already have the OS 46AX with header and pipe. I was going to use it on an Uproar/Dazzler and put that new Evolution 60NX with pipe/header on the other one. No knife edge is a bit of a bummer but is something I can live with if the plane is fun to fly.