Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Edge 540 (120) Project.

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Edge 540 (120) Project.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 AM
RappyPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Edge 540 (120) Project.

Hi all.

I want to get my feet wet with this plane as a first gasser project. A Seagull Edge 540 as pictured. I want to put a CRRC Pro 26cc engine on it. I want to use the plane for is general sport flying and I also want to start dabling in IMAC type competitions.

The plane is quite heavy for it's size (Specs Below) Would it be a suitable powerplant? Or should I perhaps choose a DLE30?

Wingspan - 66.9ins (170cm)
Wing area - 764.6 sq.ins (49.3 sq.dm)
Suits - 120 2-4 Stroke
Factory covered with Profilm
Length - 60.4ins (153.3cm)
Approx flying weight - 10.4lbs(4.7kg)
Servos - 6 x High powered
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35457.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1374236  
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
3DDino

Default RE: Seagull Edge 540 (120) Project.

try this
cermark (peakmodel) edge, extra, or yak 25% scale
thx
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

there is a guy at the lhs that has one of these I also just bought one but have not started building it yet.... He claims that he has a 26cc on it and it is plenty of power will pull it for all the 3d he wants to do
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 AM
RappyPilot

Hi bbrown2828

Thanks for that.

May I ask another question? I have a thread on the same plane here somewhere with a different question, so far no one hasd been able to answer it ...

Where are the elevator servo's located? On the box and pictures on internet it shows at the back. But I downloaded the manual and in there it shows taht they are located in the fron under the canopy with pushrods.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RappyPilot

Hi bbrown2828

Thanks for that.

May I ask another question? I have a thread on the same plane here somewhere with a different question, so far no one hasd been able to answer it ...

Where are the elevator servo's located? On the box and pictures on internet it shows at the back. But I downloaded the manual and in there it shows taht they are located in the fron under the canopy with pushrods.
Seagull often use manuals from one model in the kit of a very similar model.
I suggest that you fit the engine and everything else before deciding on the servo location. "IF" there are servo mounting locations under the covering to the rear of the fuselage, then you have a choice of trying to balance the plane using the servos as weight. I suspect that with a 26cc gasser, you'll be wanting rearwards ballast. If there aren't rear servo locations in the fuselage sides, well you have Hobson's choice (ie none at all).

Regards,
Carole Sherrington

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
RappyPilot

I noticed that they user "generic" manuals for their kits he he he.

I hope the servo's are in the rear, it's a fairly large plane and with pushrods that long they will flex and all sorts of nasty things. And yes, the 26cc petrol motor weights just over 1KG where an OS 120 weighs about 650 grams if I am correct, so it would make much more sense having them in the back.

Then again the plane might just be tail heavy, I have the Seagull Edge 40 sized plane and with everything as far up front as possible it was still surprisingly very tail heavy with an OS55AX.

I called my LHS that has one in stock and he did not know where the servo's where located and he was not keen to open the box to check [:@] So I will pop over there this week and bat my eyelids or something cute to try and convince him to open the box and show me the fuse
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
lou1947

Does anyone sell these planes in the United States? Horizon Hobby is the distributor for Seagull in the States but I dont see it on there web site.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
psuguru

I hope the servo's are in the rear, it's a fairly large plane and with pushrods that long they will flex and all sorts of nasty things.
Yup,
I used Sullivan Gold'n rods with the outer part firmly clamped close to the servo and at the outlet, with the outer running beyond the outlet towards the elevators, for exactly that reason. I wish I'd used the big stuff (blue/yellow) rather than the medium (red/yellow) because it's still not as rigid as short carbon tubes.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 AM
RappyPilot

Hi all

Well, I bought my Edge today. And the mystery of the location of the servo's is resolved, they are up front. Guess I will be replacing the stock pushrods, they look very flimsy.

Then what engine, my LHS had 3 different version of the CRRC 26cc engine.

I opted to go for the CRRC GP26R. Has 3.1 HP compared to the 2.4 HP of the other 26cc engines. (On paper anyway) But what I like abouit this engine is that it has a rear mounted carb so you don't have to cut the sides of the cowl for the velocity stack to protrude, the downside is routing the throttle linkage, but I am sure one of those dubo golden rods will work nicely for that.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM
psuguru

Well, I bought my Edge today. And the mystery of the location of the servo's is resolved, they are up front
And there's no servo sized holes in the fuselage sides covered with film?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
RappyPilot

No, unfortunately not. Just a whole bunch of neatly pre-installes pushrods with metal clevises or will that be clevi??

Had a good look at everything, quality very good and the covering impecable with a not a wrinkle anywhere.

Mounting the egine will be fun, I will have to remove the pre installed epoxied down clawnuts and make a 10mm standoff for the engine mount to fit to get the proper distance from the firewall to the prop. The throttle and choke arms are also in an funny place on the engine so I will have to get creative there with the pushrods.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
psuguru

No, unfortunately not. Just a whole bunch of neatly pre-installes pushrods with metal clevises or will that be clevi??
Cleves? (thesis...theses?)

Anyway, Quelle Grand Bummage about the servos. Nice looking model though, I might have one when the Blue Meanie spears in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18006.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1380325  
Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
RappyPilot

Not a trainsmash. I am not looking for 3D type performace. I bought this plane to start off with local club IMAC competitions and an entry into the word of petrol engines.

Nice plane you have, one day mine will grow to be that one