Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SICK & TIRED of the same Old Planes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SICK & TIRED of the same Old Planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
flying16150
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SICK & TIRED of the same Old Planes

Ive Grown so tired of the same schems on the ARF's Thats made available to us. Heres what I did to a new Great Planes Ultimate . As soon as it arived I opened the box and stripped all the heavy covering off of it , (discovered that there was 22 spots that hadnt been even glued both on the fuse and the wings) Just a warning to all of you seems like we all have to pay top dollar for these planes the least they could do is glue it together right. anyway I then recovered mine to what you see in the pictures, Sorry for the size of the pictures, I guess what Im trying to say here (besides showing off my plane) is be very carefull of the ARF'S out there, couse with what I found it wouldnt have flown very long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26329.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1413819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51120.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1413820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29338.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1413821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39574.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1413822  
Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: SICK & TIRED of the same Old Planes

Looks good. The late Miles Reed always contended that the life expectancy of even a good ARF is 100 flights on average. Most ARFs far less. What you found is a big reason why he said that. A lot more of this than most of us will see until it is too late. Your 'new' plane will surely live longer now.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

If it weren't for the covering, a lot of these arfs would fall apart in midair. It's very common to find broken wing ribs and miss glued or not glued joints in arfs. The people assembling them, I'm sure are paid by the piece and do not take the time to go back and fix a mistake.. Just cover it and move on to the next part. As long as it looks good when John Q Public opens the box. Thats why I, like you, take a lot of time to go over the plane and make it right so it doesn't fall apart midair.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
timcat26

You did a nice job on dressing up the ARF. Most who feel as you do about ARFs buy a radical new product called a "Kit".

No doubt you're right about quality of ARFs. Anyone who has some time in the Hobby should know this and go through their planes and reinforce a number of areas. Should this be required? No. Is it reality? You betcha.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

flying16150 : nice job!  I think what you've done should be promoted more than it commonly is.

There's plenty of modelers that don't build.  Many say they do not have or wish to make the time or the space for building, others worry about the necessary skillset or tools required, etc.

I won't address here the pros/cons of building vs ARFs...plenty of threads around here do that at length.  However, I think it's worth pointing out that what you've done is a pretty nice "middle ground".

It rewards a bit of patience and creativity with a "unique" model at the field.  It gets the modeler personally and perhaps emotionally involved in both the quality and aesthetics of the model.  It might, depending on the scheme chosen, represent a considered attempt to at least "present" the image of a scale aircraft.  Not to mention, as you've pointed out, it gives the modeler the chance to closely examine the quality (or lack of it) of the airframe itself.

All of these things are, at least imo, benefits of being a builder.  The upside here, however, is obvious...doing what you've done requires significantly less of many of the things "non-builders" say they do not have or care to make.

It takes less time, it requires less space, it requires fewer specialized tools, and uses a narrower...and thus quicker to acquire....skillset. 

All the while addressing your very valid and common complaint...that there's too many of the "same old plane"!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: timcat26
No doubt you're right about quality of ARFs. Anyone who has some time in the Hobby should know this and go through their planes and reinforce a number of areas. Should this be required? No. Is it reality? You betcha.
I'm gonna disagree with you here, tim...

I don't think there's anything unique, bad, or "shouldn't be required but is" about ARFs in this case. I think it is what it is, and you'll find this sort of thing in any hobby you wish to name.

I used to be big into marine aquairums....thousands of gallons of saltwater inhabited my home at one time. I learned, over time, that some companies made higher quality tanks than others...and some applications REQUIRED higher quality tanks than others. I also learned how to build my own custom tanks, and did a few.

And ya know what? REGARDLESS of who built it, if I was setting up a 150 gallon tank in my living room, you better believe I'm going to take the time to check, doublecheck, and document every single joint, crevice, flaw, frame, etc in that tank.

Was it because I didn't trust the builder? YOUBETTERBELIEVEITWAS. Even if the builder was ME. I'm about to risk many thousands of dollars of my home, my living room, my furniture, my corals and livestock, my lighting system, my tank, etc to an extremely demanding environment...I'MCHECKINGTHEWORK FIRST.

The same is true for my airplanes, imo. I've seen (recently rebuilt and recovered one after a wreck, in fact) some AMAZINGLY high quality ARFs. Quality wood, excellent design, with construction clearly done by someone with the skill AND care to do a first rate job.

I've also seen some ARFs that, like skysfallin said, were held together (and poorly at that) by the REALLY cruddy covering they came with.

Heck...are kits any different than ARFs? How many of us have thrown out much or all of the low quality wood in a kit, or discarded the "shoddy" hardware in another, or bemoaned inacurate instructions or poorly cut pieces that don't fit??

And hey, ya know what? I've tackled a HUGE scratch build project and seen it fly, and I've lost a kit build on its maiden because I overlooked something in the build too.

The fact remains, REGARDLESS of who did the build, I'm comitting a significant purchase to a risky environment...I'm going to check it over first. That's not a 'thing that shouldn't happen", nor does it somehow speak "poorly" of ARFs in general.

It simply is what it is....recognition that sometimes you get quality, some times you get garbage, but ultimately, as the owner and pilot, you're responsible for the aircraft.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Pheonix Models Sonic that has something rolling around in the wing since I got it. It sounds like a nut or a screw or something. Nothing seems to be missing, but It can't be good for lateral balance. I need to cut the covering and dig it out.-BW
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: Bonified Wingnut

I've got a Pheonix Models Sonic that has something rolling around in the wing since I got it. It sounds like a nut or a screw or something. Nothing seems to be missing, but It can't be good for lateral balance. I need to cut the covering and dig it out.-BW
Bit of a digression from the original topic, but I really have to share the story...

Supposedly, a fairly well known airshow pilot who has since been taken from us was out practicing one day. During practice he hit a bird, doing a bit of damage to the leading edge of a wing.

Pilot and plane made a safe landing, damage was repaired, all was well. But for some time ater the incident, the pilot compained that he could occaisionally hear something rattling around in that wing.

Eventually, after much searching, they ran a scope into the wing....inside, they found a round object, roughly golf ball sized, with some odd protrusions and weird coloration. What on EARTH could that be???

"I know what it is" said the pilot.

Apparently, the bird's HEAD had remained with the wing...and been sealed up in there during the rapair. It then spent the next several weeks rolling around in the wing...and taking on a rather odd smell.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: gboulton

I'm gonna disagree with you here, tim...

I don't think there's anything unique, bad, or "shouldn't be required but is" about ARFs in this case. I think it is what it is, and you'll find this sort of thing in any hobby you wish to name.

I used to be big into marine aquairums....thousands of gallons of saltwater inhabited my home at one time. I learned, over time, that some companies made higher quality tanks than others...and some applications REQUIRED higher quality tanks than others. I also learned how to build my own custom tanks, and did a few.

And ya know what? REGARDLESS of who built it, if I was setting up a 150 gallon tank in my living room, you better believe I'm going to take the time to check, doublecheck, and document every single joint, crevice, flaw, frame, etc in that tank.

Was it because I didn't trust the builder? YOUBETTERBELIEVEITWAS. Even if the builder was ME. I'm about to risk many thousands of dollars of my home, my living room, my furniture, my corals and livestock, my lighting system, my tank, etc to an extremely demanding environment...I'MCHECKINGTHEWORK FIRST.

The same is true for my airplanes, imo. I've seen (recently rebuilt and recovered one after a wreck, in fact) some AMAZINGLY high quality ARFs. Quality wood, excellent design, with construction clearly done by someone with the skill AND care to do a first rate job.

I've also seen some ARFs that, like skysfallin said, were held together (and poorly at that) by the REALLY cruddy covering they came with.

Heck...are kits any different than ARFs? How many of us have thrown out much or all of the low quality wood in a kit, or discarded the "shoddy" hardware in another, or bemoaned inacurate instructions or poorly cut pieces that don't fit??

And hey, ya know what? I've tackled a HUGE scratch build project and seen it fly, and I've lost a kit build on its maiden because I overlooked something in the build too.

The fact remains, REGARDLESS of who did the build, I'm comitting a significant purchase to a risky environment...I'm going to check it over first. That's not a 'thing that shouldn't happen", nor does it somehow speak "poorly" of ARFs in general.

It simply is what it is....recognition that sometimes you get quality, some times you get garbage, but ultimately, as the owner and pilot, you're responsible for the aircraft.

As far as I can tell we don't disagree anywhere. Please point it out if there's something I'm missing....
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
gboulton

As far as I can tell we don't disagree anywhere. Please point it out if there's something I'm missing....
Heh...probably not. I'm just...eh...I think ARFs get a bad image they don't deserve sometimes.

Your initial comment was :

Anyone who has some time in the Hobby should know this and go through their planes and reinforce a number of areas. Should this be required? No. Is it reality? You betcha.
I guess i just knee-jerked, and took that as a "shot" at ARFs in general...sort of like saying "Well, we shouldn't have to check others work, but ARFs are crappy, so we put up with it"

My point was more or less that ARFs aren't any "worse" in that regard than nearly anything in any hobby...even other things in this hobby like kits. I suppose, ultimately, what I was trying to say is "Should this be required? Sure...why not?" *heh*

You're probably right though...I probably just got all "zealous" about something you really didn't mean to say, and went wandering off on some unnecessary rant. *heh* End result...we probably both check our planes carefully, and as a result, have pretty good luck most days at the field.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM
flying16150

Thank you for all you have said , and your right, Im very proud of this plane even if it is a ARF because I did get involved with it. I can truely say Im more proud of this one than any other plane I have, with the exception of my Falcon 56 trainer which I started this hobby with way to many years ago lol lol . You can bet knowing what I know about ARF'S now there will be allot more re-covers from me in the future lol lol , I can see why most companys wont offer a ARC"S any longer. There are a few left out there , which tells me they are not afraid to show the quality. Thanks again for what you said , but my biggest reward is indeed the finished Ultimate.

flying16150 : nice job! I think what you've done should be promoted more than it commonly is.

There's plenty of modelers that don't build. Many say they do not have or wish to make the time or the space for building, others worry about the necessary skillset or tools required, etc.

I won't address here the pros/cons of building vs ARFs...plenty of threads around here do that at length. However, I think it's worth pointing out that what you've done is a pretty nice "middle ground".

It rewards a bit of patience and creativity with a "unique" model at the field. It gets the modeler personally and perhaps emotionally involved in both the quality and aesthetics of the model. It might, depending on the scheme chosen, represent a considered attempt to at least "present" the image of a scale aircraft. Not to mention, as you've pointed out, it gives the modeler the chance to closely examine the quality (or lack of it) of the airframe itself.

All of these things are, at least imo, benefits of being a builder. The upside here, however, is obvious...doing what you've done requires significantly less of many of the things "non-builders" say they do not have or care to make.

It takes less time, it requires less space, it requires fewer specialized tools, and uses a narrower...and thus quicker to acquire....skillset.

All the while addressing your very valid and common complaint...that there's too many of the "same old plane"!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
flying16150

Thank you, And yes Ive been in the hobby for over 30 years so I am familar with the KIT lol lol , but I think what Im trying to say is there is a certain amount of trust that we the consumer put in the companys we buy these aircraft from, for me that trust is no longer felt and knowing what I know now about the ARF'S I will in the future go through each and every one. By the way whens the last time youve tried to buy a Kit lol lol seems like they are a rare breed. Take Care and Safe Flying.

You did a nice job on dressing up the ARF. Most who feel as you do about ARFs buy a radical new product called a "Kit".

Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Tommygun

I do swap meets every winter, and do like buying completed kits. (I can build, but I like the cheap deals on planes I can not care about if I splash them). The build quality of many, possibly over half of the kits that are built look terrible. They have epoxy everywhere, and weight a ton. Covering is coming loose, block balsa isn't sanded, just glued on there, I don't even need to talk about hinging- everything looks just awful. I'm not even talking about planes with crash damage, these are just what someone slopped together in their basement. I guess my point is if this type of work was my building capability, I'd rather take my chances on the loose ribs on the ARF since I'd have no business building anyway. BTW, can anyone personally recall an example of an ARF encountering structural failure in flight?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM
flying16150

you are right about some of the building skills out there, The first documented ARF Falure for me was the Hanger 9 Cap which was about 10 or 11 years ago. 1st one broke in half 3 weeks before the NATS they sent me another one and the 2nd one fell apart at the NATS with Hanger Nine reps there , by the way it fell apart at the same place on both planes, now one would argue that the plane had a design flaw , but I wasnt the only one in the country haveing proublems with this plane. and if it was indeed a design flaw should it have been sold in the first place? Dont get me wrong Hanger 9 did a wonderful job in makeing up for the loss and considering the 2 nd time was my first flight of the Nats they made up for that to. But I guess what the real question here is , How much trust does the companys that sell these ARF"S exspect from us , and what about that dissclaimer thats sold with each and every plane out there. Seems to me that its just another way to get the money with out the responsabilty of selling a good product.. If we can only have enough trust for them to ship the plane to us then maybe they should all Switch to ARC'S instead of ARF"S at least that way we would all get to at least check over the workmanship. And lets face it covering isnt as hard as building(at least to most of us ) I f I hadnt gone through my Ultimate I would give it maybe 5 flights before coming apart at the seems. I dont have the answers other than it falls on us the consumer to wake these companys up and let them now the need to pay more attention.
ORIGINAL: Tommygun

I do swap meets every winter, and do like buying completed kits. (I can build, but I like the cheap deals on planes I can not care about if I splash them). The build quality of many, possibly over half of the kits that are built look terrible. They have epoxy everywhere, and weight a ton. Covering is coming loose, block balsa isn't sanded, just glued on there, I don't even need to talk about hinging- everything looks just awful. I'm not even talking about planes with crash damage, these are just what someone slopped together in their basement. I guess my point is if this type of work was my building capability, I'd rather take my chances on the loose ribs on the ARF since I'd have no business building anyway. BTW, can anyone personally recall an example of an ARF encountering structural failure in flight?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

As far as I can tell we don't disagree anywhere. Please point it out if there's something I'm missing....[img][/img]
Heh...probably not. I'm just...eh...I think ARFs get a bad image they don't deserve sometimes.

Your initial comment was :

Anyone who has some time in the Hobby should know this and go through their planes and reinforce a number of areas. Should this be required? No. Is it reality? You betcha.
I guess i just knee-jerked, and took that as a ''shot'' at ARFs in general...sort of like saying ''Well, we shouldn't have to check others work, but ARFs are crappy, so we put up with it''

My point was more or less that ARFs aren't any ''worse'' in that regard than nearly anything in any hobby...even other things in this hobby like kits. I suppose, ultimately, what I was trying to say is ''Should this be required? Sure...why not?'' *heh*

You're probably right though...I probably just got all ''zealous'' about something you really didn't mean to say, and went wandering off on some unnecessary rant. *heh* End result...we probably both check our planes carefully, and as a result, have pretty good luck most days at the field.

Regardless of what the other fellow thinks, most ARFs are an accident waiting to happen, specifically due to a lack of adhesive and appropriate materials in key locations. I have a friend whose trainer's right wing disassembled itself within the first five flights, causing the model to crash into the ground. No adhesives were used at all. You would be surprised at which US company sells this particular trainer. I was. So was my friend. They gave him a new ARF, but he had to eat the damage to his engine and R/C system.

Thank, God, it didn't hit anyone or damage someone's personal property. I don't think that ARFs get criticized enough.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Bonified Wingnut

I can forsee a proplem here if the government ever intervenes in the model aircraft industry and starts quality control and fining companies as they do in the NTSB.-BW
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Regardless of what the other fellow thinks, most ARFs are an accident waiting to happen, specifically due to a lack of adhesive and appropriate materials in key locations. I have a friend whose trainer's right wing disassembled itself within the first five flights, causing the model to crash into the ground. No adhesives were used at all. You would be surprised at which US company sells this particular trainer. I was. So was my friend. They gave him a new ARF, but he had to eat the damage to his engine and R/C system.

Thank, God, it didn't hit anyone or damage someone's personal property. I don't think that ARFs get criticized enough.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Could you be a little more specific?

Ed Cregger
Old 04-10-2010, 11:30 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

gboulton,
I have no idea what that picture is supposed to be, but I'm almost crying from laughing! Thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM
gboulton

Ed,

Yes.  But there's not really any need to.

BadSplice,

Google is your friend.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Tommygun

From Urbandictionary.com

WHARRGARBL

1. The caption of a popular "loldog" (dog version of lolcat) showing a dog attempting to drink from a lawn sprinkler. Word refers to the sound the dog presumably is making as it angrily (and pointlessly) attempts to subdue the water stream.

2. A one-word stand-in for any angry, incoherent, pointless reaction, comment, or attack. In online forums, the loldog referenced in (1) is often used to make the point that someone's position is incoherent, illogical, and or pointless. Simply writing 'WHARRGARBL' is also sufficient to make the point, and is especially effective if the target of your insult is one of the few people unfamiliar with the loldog.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My uncle had a dog that would go out of the window of a slow moving car and attack those rainbirds.. One time he slowed down for a stop sign and a guy turned on his rainbird along the road. My Uncles dog immediately went out the window and started making strafing runs back and forth at the thing. Occasionally stopping to bite at the spray at the base (like the above picture). My Uncle quickly stopped, got out of his car and chased the dog around until he could catch it. The owner of the house just stood in the front yard with a slack jaw watching the event unfold. As my uncle left the guys yard he smiled and said sorry.. I guess the guy at the house just stood there in a daze as my Uncles car drove away...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
flying16150

Boy did this thread go away from the original subject.
ORIGINAL: foodstick

My uncle had a dog that would go out of the window of a slow moving car and attack those rainbirds.. One time he slowed down for a stop sign and a guy turned on his rainbird along the road. My Uncles dog immediately went out the window and started making strafing runs back and forth at the thing. Occasionally stopping to bite at the spray at the base (like the above picture). My Uncle quickly stopped, got out of his car and chased the dog around until he could catch it. The owner of the house just stood in the front yard with a slack jaw watching the event unfold. As my uncle left the guys yard he smiled and said sorry.. I guess the guy at the house just stood there in a daze as my Uncles car drove away...